Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Nutmeg posted:

nice, excited to try this out on my christmas break, prolly be my last 2021 game so a short runtime is good for me right now

it was mostly over one weekend, it's a comfy size for an rpg.

Kirby's Pinball Land :cool: still got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

39. Shin Megami Tensei V (Hard, Law ending). ABsoutely incredible game. My GOTY. the characters and story are kinda lame compared to the other heights of MT series BUT the zones, difficulty curve, press turn gameplay, totally untouchable. i spent hours and hours marvelling at the demon models in every new zone, they put so much incredibly effort into these depictions and it paid off in spades. im going to beat it 3 more times now and do 100% compendium etc. bc i cant get enough.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
whatever) binding of isaac repentance 100%

they fixed t lazarus, who i didnt have a single completion mark with, and made t jacob a lot less painful. just had to knock out some random marks with a few tainted characters and find the missing items, so these past 2 weeks or so i got em all. tempted to continue the second file i started after platting ab+, but for now, isaac is well and truly dead

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

whatever) binding of isaac repentance 100%

they fixed t lazarus, who i didnt have a single completion mark with, and made t jacob a lot less painful. just had to knock out some random marks with a few tainted characters and find the missing items, so these past 2 weeks or so i got em all. tempted to continue the second file i started after platting ab+, but for now, isaac is well and truly dead

:styare: god drat. so repentance is good then?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
its good, yeah. they upped some shot speed on enemies making them more obnoxious, and they did some nerfs that madea bunch of items less cool but theres new items that are so busted its ridiculous. overall i think its great, cause after afterbirth+'s release they could have forced a steaming turd down my throat and id still feel like i got a better experience. if you ever plan on playing this wait until they fix delirium in the not too distant future of 2025, but otherwise, a great capstone if this really is the end of isaac

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gently caress yeah. ive been wanting to get back into isaac but afterbirth+ was so fuckin bad that i didnt want to. definitely gonna pick this up then

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

repentance ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I stopped playi by Isaac when they added the Stone Baby rooms, glad it's good now.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bloodstained (plat) great game, pumped for whenever 2 happens

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
SMT4 (first run, neutral, no guide)
Judgment
SMT3 HD Remaster (first run, freedom)

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
1. Yakuza 0
2. Pokemon Shield
3. Astro's Playroom (platinum)
4. Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War (both endings)
5. Bugsnax (platinum)
6. Spider-Man: Miles Morales
7. Bowser’s Fury
8. The Last of Us Part II
9. Donut County

10. Yakuza Kiwami

Loved this so much. cannot imagine playing any of this without the context from yakuza 0. curious as to what they added in the remake. Might watch some videos of the original or something

have 2 on deck but want to let it breathe a bit, so I’ll start mass effect

John Romero fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 11, 2021

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
iconoclasts, on switch

fun game, as expected great sprite animations and fun puzzles, and surprisingly gnarly bodies exploding

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Metroid Dread, 100%, 10:26.

Amazing. I've got some nit-picks (the emmi areas look boring and samey once the emmi is dead, each suit looks worse than the one before it) but the game is absolutely a 10/10.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
40. Kung Fu Panda (Master)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Mamkute posted:

40. Kung Fu Panda (Master)

how'd you like it

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

mycophobia posted:

how'd you like it

It was adequately good at being 3d action game with some design inspiration from God of War. I liked that it was an adaptation with game original story content, the most conceptually interesting level being a desert shrine where Po uses his rolling ability to go down then up ramps to climb up four towers. I did not like that Monkey, Tigress and Crane were only playable for brief sections.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
timespinner

nice enough sotn-like but it felt a bit too short and the story felt a little under-developed but was nice enough. also i got what apparently was the secret ending on my first try? might do a ng+ to see the other endings

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Donkey Kong Country Returns (3DS)

I recently got inspired to finally beat this, had a save sitting in front of the final boss for a few years at this point. I also had four of the hard as nails temple levels to beat in order to unlock the postgame, so I sat myself down and got crackin'. Took me like 150 lives in total, but I managed to grind through it all and unlock the postgame.

I'm super happy that I did! The World 9 levels are amazing, probably the best content in the game. I learned that they were added for the 3DS version, a year before they made Tropical Freeze, and it shows - the designers just had become much better at level design. Sadly, the final level is a Wii original, so for that, the quality suddenly plummeted again - it's tough as hell but also kinda boring, and it has no checkpoints.

Still did it. Won't do mirror mode though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. Resident Evil 3 Remake
2. Super Mario 3D World/Bowser's Fury
3. Deus Ex
4. Persona 5 Strikers
5. Nier Replicant
6. Resident Evil: Village
7. Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition - Paragon, romanced Liara, Sentinel
8. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - Paragon, didn't cheat on Liara, Infiltrator, all DLC done
9. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - Paragon, synthesis, stayed with Liara, all DLC done
10. Episode of Yuffie
11. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
12. Halo 3 Co-Op (replay)
13. Halo 4 Co-Op
14. Yakuza 4
15.The Great Ace Attorney Adventures
16. Quake
17. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
18. The Punisher (1993) (Genesis)
19. Wild Guns - Annie
20. Actraiser
21. Gitaroo Man Lives
22. Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve
23. Metroid Dread
24. Luigi's Mansion
25. Metroid: Zero Mission
26. Ultrakill
27. Halo 5: Guardians
28. Halo Infinite

I really enjoyed this one's campaign. 343 really stepped up with this entry, and I hope future games are able to expand on what they have here because the open world is a little bare bones.

I also played that Matrix tech demo and it was neat. I don't feel like counting it since it's just a little 15 minute thing, but it felt like playing the trailer for that cancelled PS3 game Eight Days.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Luigi’s Mansion, all ghosts all boos. Super fun game, can’t believe it took me so long to check it out. Definitely gonna check out the sequels next

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Luigi’s Mansion, all ghosts all boos. Super fun game, can’t believe it took me so long to check it out. Definitely gonna check out the sequels next

hell yeah. the second game is kind of weird, the third game is a return to form

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Sniper Elite 4 (w/ DLC)
2) Door Kickers 2
3) Mass Effect
4) Mass Effect 2
5) Mass Effect 3
6) Control
7) Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
8) Suzerain
9) Sniper Ghost Warrior: Contracts
10) Far Cry 5
11) Just Cause 3
12) Beyond: Two Souls

Well, I finished B2S this weekend, after getting it in a Humble Bundle after a friend recommended it. Pretty good, really! It's 110% what Stranger Things ripped off though, so some aspects of the plot were quite familiar to me. (Although I liked the execution in this much better, compared to what they did with Eleven in Stranger Things)

I think I'll probably have to start on Heavy Rain next, as I got it in the same bundle. Might as well knock out another title before the new year, after all!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hahaha fantastic! Great to see they're all enthusiastic about their work :D

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They're just stunned into silence to be working with a legend like David Cage

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Shin Megami Tensei V - my least favorite out of 3, 4 and 4A. the battle system is as good as ever and i mostly like the changes but the story is barely there and not interesting at all. it's fun exploring the large areas trying to find all the quests and treasures but it's spoiled somewhat by a bad framerate. i may come back and do another play through for the true ending but i'm going to play something else first

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

1) Sniper Elite 4 (w/ DLC)
2) Door Kickers 2
3) Mass Effect
4) Mass Effect 2
5) Mass Effect 3
6) Control
7) Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
8) Suzerain
9) Sniper Ghost Warrior: Contracts
10) Far Cry 5
11) Just Cause 3
12) Beyond: Two Souls

Well, I finished B2S this weekend, after getting it in a Humble Bundle after a friend recommended it. Pretty good, really! It's 110% what Stranger Things ripped off though, so some aspects of the plot were quite familiar to me. (Although I liked the execution in this much better, compared to what they did with Eleven in Stranger Things)

I think I'll probably have to start on Heavy Rain next, as I got it in the same bundle. Might as well knock out another title before the new year, after all!

major godbless but please think of your family

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

i can't speak for Dark Moon, but unless 3 takes a hard nosedive at some point in the last third of the game, i like it a good bit more than 1. there's a lot more puzzles compared to the OG & you get rewarded a lot for exploration rather than it being mostly room-to-room ghost-catching. i really ought to buckle down and finish it soon.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

dark moon is a banger too

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

symbolic posted:

i can't speak for Dark Moon, but unless 3 takes a hard nosedive at some point in the last third of the game, i like it a good bit more than 1. there's a lot more puzzles compared to the OG & you get rewarded a lot for exploration rather than it being mostly room-to-room ghost-catching. i really ought to buckle down and finish it soon.

the last boss fight is so bad it makes the whole thign worse.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

b_d posted:

the last boss fight is so bad it makes the whole thign worse.

Alexa play Simple Plan Untitled topic full volume

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
after a month of playing it I beat Zombies Ate my Neighbors, one of the worst games ever made. I truly regret beating this game

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

after a month of playing it I beat Zombies Ate my Neighbors, one of the worst games ever made. I truly regret beating this game

wait until you play ghoul patrol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

That Little Demon posted:

lol congrats, glad it didn't defeat you.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Plebian Parasite posted:

it nearly did.... there is gonna be a 2 part post on the blog forum lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zombies Ate My Balls

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Plebian Parasite posted:

update your thread bro

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Zombies Ate My Balls
Part 1: Left Ball

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

heehee posted:

update your thread bro

and don't let me die either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (200%)

So, I've written a few words about it when I started it, then instead of continuing I just beat all the extra modes in Circle lol. I was p down on it based on past experiences, but now that I replayed it, I am...still not a fan, but have mellowed on it a lot.

Still bad:
- the jumping is extremely bad, super floaty
- navigating the castle is tedious, too few teleport rooms and most only unlock at the very end of the game
- bosses by and large suck major rear end
- main character sprite looks absolutely terrible in motion
- the soundtrack is one of the worst I ever heard

Opinion improved:
- I used to not realize that you can in fact just spam the dash button to traverse those long corridors super fast. Made the game seem much slower and more tedious and empty
- that aggressive playstyle made me die more often which is good, the game is extremely easy and boring if you take it slow
- some of the puzzles and secrets are actually kinda neat, and I like that it's mostly less obscure than Circle's poo poo

Just great in general, can appreciate it more now:
- the background artworks are gorgeous. This might be one of the best-looking GBA games. The sheer variety of unique-looking rooms is mindblowing. You just gotta ignore how Juste looks lol
- enemy sprites are super detailed. As bad as the bosses are to fight, they are intricate models with lots of moving parts. I thought this was something Order of Ecclesia "invented", but nope, all here already
- I tried Maxim mode a bit and he seems cool as poo poo, I might actually replay the game as him, something I didn't think I would do before giving it another chance
- magic system is fun to play around with, much more accessible than Circle's, though I lament that there's one super busted combo that is hard to justify not taking

I know someone liked my posts about Circle and wanted to check it out afterwards, so do I recommend Harmony? Yes, I do; take a look, go in with an open mind, turn off the soundtrack and take in everything except the center of the screen. It's a grand tour of two weird-rear end castles, don't except the best gameplay but you can have a good time with this. It's absolutely still a skippable game tho don't get me wrong