Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

wolrah posted:

Looks like you've already set something up but for the record Quest is an Android-based platform and should more or less work with anything Android does.

That said, "hidden" SSIDs are nothing but an inconvenience for a normal home user environment. There are legitimate reasons to disable beaconing, but they only come about when you have a lot of SSIDs on the same channel and the beacon frames start taking up a significant amount of airtime. Even then there are other ways to handle that problem which are less annoying to use.

There is absolutely zero security benefit to disabling beaconing unless you are entirely unable to use encryption and just want to stop random idiots from clicking on it and connecting. Anyone capable of breaking through even the most basic versions of WEP is also capable of seeing any activity on your "hidden" network. They may not see the user-friendly name (unless they are listening when a device connects, which they can cause by spoofing a deauth frame) but they'll still see the network and have the same ability to attack it as they would otherwise. Legitimate users will be more inconvenienced than any attackers.

Ironically having a "hidden" network on a mobile device can cause it to be revealed more widely if the device is set to automatically connect to the network. When that device wants to try to connect it has to broadcast a "Hey, is <network> around?" which it will happily do any time it's not connected to something else.

Yeah I opted not to after a fresh install of FreshTomato. Just setup a standard WPA2, turned off DHCP to prevent conflicts and other extraneous services I don’t need on (ssh, telnet despite remote access not being enabled). Turned off the 2.4Ghz radio. Set the 5Ghz on the emptiest channel range that would allow me to use 80mhz channel width reliably and I was pretty much in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Crashland is 20% off on the quest store today and it's one of the best VR games around, absolutely worth it even at full price. It has probably the most intense shooting and combat you'll find in VR and it will have you on your toes and constantly strategizing to survive.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/1884760688319818/?utm_source=oculus&utm_medium=share

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Brocktoon posted:

Anyone tried Smash Drums yet? The lack of a track listing in the promotion is troubling when playing tracks I recognize is the most fun for me in rhythm games.

I played the demo and hated it, felt very gamey because you move around while playing so there's never a set position for where the drums are. I much preferred the standard 4 drum setup in Ragnarock because it roughly follows the same rules as Rock Band drumming and felt more like actual drumming to me than Smash Drums.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Just saw that they updated the referrals AGAIN, now through the end of the year you both get $60.

If anyone needs a referral here's my link:
https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/Tip/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

I played the demo and hated it, felt very gamey because you move around while playing

That's the 360 mode. You can toggle that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Ld4nNROsg

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Any one running a tri-band router using the secondary 5ghz band for dedicated Airlink?

Or would it be better to do a second router entirely?

I'm still using the link cable which is fine, but considering a new router because the 2.4ghz band hates my stuff. But the 5ghz band is fine. Thinking I want a tri-band.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

That's the 360 mode. You can toggle that.

You can disable it so you don't spin around anymore but it'll still throw drums at you at various positions and I kept losing track of exactly where it wanted me to hit for it to register.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Well HP's support team sorta sucks when it comes to returning their god damned headset...

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Ok so after a bit of after the fall

yeah shits fun.

still torn on the price, but thats just because im used to VR stuff being uber cheap. Its L4D VR.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

StarkRavingMad posted:

I was never able to get any headset really comfortable until I bought a battery pack (I bought this one but you can find it cheaper on sale or similar ones) and some velcro straps and attached it to the back of my Quest 2. I did it for longer battery life, and then realized a counterweight helps A LOT. Hell, if you don't want to shell out for a battery pack, just find something with a little heft and tie it to the back of your Quest, see how it works out for you.

Yeah I use a pouch full of coins and a twisty tie as my counter weight and it feels way better than without.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 10, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Paper Beasts was on sale, so I gave that a shot. That game is freaky as hell, I don't know if I love those things or if I'm absolutely terrified of them.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Paper Beasts was on sale, so I gave that a shot. That game is freaky as hell, I don't know if I love those things or if I'm absolutely terrified of them.

I adore that game. I think I played it 6 hours straight.

Since the weather is colder, i’m playing in the garage with way more space.
Thrill of the fight and Superhot is really cool when you have all that room to navigate.

But i started to feel hot, so I opened the garage door so all the neighbors could see me shadow box half naked with my headset on. They need to understand, this is the future. Get used to it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tip posted:

Crashland is 20% off on the quest store today and it's one of the best VR games around, absolutely worth it even at full price. It has probably the most intense shooting and combat you'll find in VR and it will have you on your toes and constantly strategizing to survive.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/1884760688319818/?utm_source=oculus&utm_medium=share

Thanks for the tip, I snagged it at sale price :yayclod:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
amogus

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

what.

Ohhh ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84IAbLJc2rM

also
https://twitter.com/BeatSaber/status/1469125614858915840

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Tip posted:

Just saw that they updated the referrals AGAIN, now through the end of the year you both get $60.

Maybe we should start a referral chain thread in PGS or something? I too would like someone to use my referral link so I can buy VR games without giving facebook money

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

NRVNQSR posted:

Unless they've reworked it there should be a "Free Flight" option on the main menu that is just that, available right from the start.

I think you can only do that in the locations you've unlocked. I'm tired of flying around Paris...

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Did beat saber ever release whatever the weird sword thing they teased was?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Tip posted:

What’s the best way to do this again? Both people factory reset their quest 2s then click each other’s link?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Skyarb posted:

Did beat saber ever release whatever the weird sword thing they teased was?

No

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was trying today the Risk of Rain 2 VR mod, and something I didn't expect, is the bad performance :( (relative to the graphics offered, which aren't precisely HL Alyx, hell it kinda looks like native Quest games). I guess it's because the VR isn't properly native, that's why it has problems getting good framerate. To compare, I run the game normal version (non-VR) at 160-200 fps, but in VR I'm falling to 50-60 fps lots of times.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Butt Discussin posted:

What’s the best way to do this again? Both people factory reset their quest 2s then click each other’s link?

Wait, it works both ways? Wish I'd known that before I put it through, that's double the amount of free golf I got.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Turin Turambar posted:

I was trying today the Risk of Rain 2 VR mod, and something I didn't expect, is the bad performance :( (relative to the graphics offered, which aren't precisely HL Alyx, hell it kinda looks like native Quest games). I guess it's because the VR isn't properly native, that's why it has problems getting good framerate. To compare, I run the game normal version (non-VR) at 160-200 fps, but in VR I'm falling to 50-60 fps lots of times.

What hardware do you run? Because I get those 2D frames with a 3600/3080 but I don't notice any performance dip on quest 2 VD set to ultra high or whatever is the highest performance option

Anyone play resist? It doesn't seem like it has a lot of meat on it's bones

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002
Just popping in to say that Smash Drums is really impressive at quelling one’s inner air drummer.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
PokerstarsVR now has Roulette. Which makes me think the next step is probably Craps, and that's when my whole bankroll goes in the toilet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

PokerstarsVR now has Roulette. Which makes me think the next step is probably Craps, and that's when my whole bankroll goes in the toilet.

Is that why they call it Craps?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

forest spirit posted:

What hardware do you run? Because I get those 2D frames with a 3600/3080 but I don't notice any performance dip on quest 2 VD set to ultra high or whatever is the highest performance option

Anyone play resist? It doesn't seem like it has a lot of meat on it's bones

3700x/1080

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Same here. Can play Alyx on High settings, stable 90 while Risk of Rain 2 constantly drops to 45 even on lowest settings.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

StarkRavingMad posted:

:pray:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StarkRavingMad posted:

PokerstarsVR now has Roulette.

Holy poo poo yes!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh man, I hope they don't add craps. I have children to feed...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

StarkRavingMad posted:

That is awesome! Time to learn how to play roulette i guess.

Since they added blackjack I play that as much if not more than poker and it doubled my bankroll

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I think HL: Alyx might be the most impressive game I've played so far. That ending stretch was just loving incredible.

The only downside is that every other VR experience seems kinda lackluster after Alyx.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So ever since I got a headset we've been getting tons of ads for VR stuff - love to live in a weird consoomer panopticon - but, as a result, my GF is curious about exercise games, particularly cardio stuff. It seems like there are a lot of options out there but are there any actual good ones? I'd like to exercise more too so I'm curious, but we only have a like 4x3 space to play in so it can't involve a ton of flailing

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
The best fitness games are, imo, quest2 native titles

God tier:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/1830168170427369/
Supernatural is probably the best all-rounder but it's kinda spendy at $15 or whatever a month. Think Beat Saber with better and more eclectic music and in an endurance-style format to maximize calorie burn. Also there are really nice coaches who encourage you! And they added shadow boxing too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aggd3Qmt2So

PowerbeatsVR is beat saber but with boxing, and it auto-generates hitmaps to whatever songs you add. This is personally my favorite fitness app. With rubber bands and an intense 30 minute playlist I can do a quick workout and burn like 500+ kcals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTyfUnp4NeU

Thrill of the fight is boxing one on one with an actual CPU opponent. It's extremely accurately modeled but more of a shadowboxing simulator so don't go throwing haymaker after haymaker. This app is incredible and will get in your target heart rate in literally 3 minutes. No other fitness anything will have you gasping for breath after 3 minutes like this will. Unfortunately, it is kinda basic in terms of what's offered. We're all waiting around for Thrill of The Fight 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2cX3KAAmos&t=367s

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/developer-post/510885990136195/

others:

Beat saber is good for calorie burn according to many but in my opinion it's just a bunch of wrist flicking to destroy the blocks and you have to stop between each song, not the best for working out IMO. Also people say it will give you a reptitive stress injury in your shoulder!

Synth Riders is a fun dancing related game and I could see how it would be a good workout for some but theres just not quite enough movement to really push it into exercise in my mind

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I haven't looked since launch, but I remember all the elite straps breaking. What's the best strap system for a quest 2 nowadays that can hold a battery pack? Is it still going the frankenquest route with a vive DAS? RE4 has me hooked and I'm actually playing for longer stretches now.

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

The best fitness games are, imo, quest2 native titles

God tier:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/1830168170427369/
Supernatural is probably the best all-rounder but it's kinda spendy at $15 or whatever a month. Think Beat Saber with better and more eclectic music and in an endurance-style format to maximize calorie burn. Also there are really nice coaches who encourage you! And they added shadow boxing too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aggd3Qmt2So

PowerbeatsVR is beat saber but with boxing, and it auto-generates hitmaps to whatever songs you add. This is personally my favorite fitness app. With rubber bands and an intense 30 minute playlist I can do a quick workout and burn like 500+ kcals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTyfUnp4NeU

Thrill of the fight is boxing one on one with an actual CPU opponent. It's extremely accurately modeled but more of a shadowboxing simulator so don't go throwing haymaker after haymaker. This app is incredible and will get in your target heart rate in literally 3 minutes. No other fitness anything will have you gasping for breath after 3 minutes like this will. Unfortunately, it is kinda basic in terms of what's offered. We're all waiting around for Thrill of The Fight 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2cX3KAAmos&t=367s

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/developer-post/510885990136195/

others:

Beat saber is good for calorie burn according to many but in my opinion it's just a bunch of wrist flicking to destroy the blocks and you have to stop between each song, not the best for working out IMO. Also people say it will give you a reptitive stress injury in your shoulder!

Synth Riders is a fun dancing related game and I could see how it would be a good workout for some but theres just not quite enough movement to really push it into exercise in my mind

Do you know if you have to supply your own music for PowerbeatsVR? I stopped collecting music files when I started using Spotify and Pandora 😶

Thank you for posting this info -- I was just wondering about working vr games... --maybe this year I'll lose weight-- hah

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

others:

Beat Saber I think is super intense but only if you're willing to go into custom songs and put in more movement than is strictly necessary. The shoulder injury thing is absolutely right though, if you play it every day you will start to feel it in your upper body. Synth Riders you're on the money about, it feels like it should be better as a workout than it is but you need to go to the higher difficulties before it really starts to make you work. It does have a random song option for going immediately from song to song though.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Condimentalist posted:

Do you know if you have to supply your own music for PowerbeatsVR? I stopped collecting music files when I started using Spotify and Pandora 😶

Thank you for posting this info -- I was just wondering about working vr games... --maybe this year I'll lose weight-- hah

After several hard drive failures I also stopped bothering to collect music files. yes you supply your own music, apart from the 24 or so included. What I do now is find a youtube video for whatever song I want, put it into https://yt1s.com/en66/youtube-to-mp3, then after I've downloaded like 10 this way I will attach the quest via USB and put the mp3 files in the standard android music folder. Sometimes I will file them into seperate genre or theme folders to make it easier in app

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beat saber is good for calorie burn according to many but in my opinion it's just a bunch of wrist flicking to destroy the blocks

If you are interested in exercise, and not in high scores, there is no reason to focus on the arm movement and avoid wrist flicking.