Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fart simpson posted:

did you end up selecting the correct one or did you ruin his life?

the correct one, fortunately. i think the whole ordeal cost him $100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i once had some people over and found a friend of mine passed out on the kitchen floor. as we're calling an ambulance he comes around long enough to say, 'call an ambulance'

paramedics arrive and put him on a stretcher. he's vomiting while unconscious in my kitchen and one of the emts turns to me to ask, 'so what hospital are we taking him to?'

it suddenly hit me that if i said the wrong hospital it could bankrupt him, i had no way of knowing which hospital that was, and that every second of me standing there dumbfounded could be risking his life

'gently caress i don't know whichever one is closest'

even before i was married my then-gf fell sick and got ER'd and i got a phone call from some admin saying "your partner needs their gallbladder removed, it will cost sixty-five thousand dollars plus Fees (lol), you don't have health insurance (i didn't), do you consent"

i actually physically fell onto the floor weeping and said "yes, do it" and condemned myself to a med bill 2x that of my current annual income

Spoiler: I threw those bills in the trash, suck my rear end in a top hat, go bill bezos for it lmfao

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

kaiser is probably the model that will get copied if california ever secedes and makes its own UHC system.

dear california: feel free to join canada, we need somewhere warm and you need good weed again

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

dear california: feel free to join canada, we need somewhere warm and you need good weed again

absolutely not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uac1udAK8A

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
cali weed is plenty good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stereotype posted:

stop eating rocks

i cracked a molar in my sleep somehow last summer, never had a problem with tooth grinding before or since

clean in half too, my subconscious just decided that bitch had to go

hoverwife called me a (toothless) louisiana stereotype, but that won't be true until i lose a toe doing something stupid

Stringent posted:

hope it goes easy on you.

speaking from personal experience, but a different chemo regime, stock up on the weed it really helps.

lol way ahead of you, turns out they don't really give you opiates for bowel resection recovery since they'll constipate you, which is a no no when you're relearning how to post

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 10, 2021

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i got a decent job about 2 years ago but not having insurance for a long time trained me to basically never ever go to the doctor

what's the right way to go about doing cancer screenings? do you just find yourself a GP and ask to be checked for all the cancers they can?

(sadlol at waiting until the new year so that you pay into just the one deductible. hellworld indeed)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

psiox posted:

i got a decent job about 2 years ago but not having insurance for a long time trained me to basically never ever go to the doctor

what's the right way to go about doing cancer screenings? do you just find yourself a GP and ask to be checked for all the cancers they can?

(sadlol at waiting until the new year so that you pay into just the one deductible. hellworld indeed)

if you're having serious issues go to the medicenter, that's where you go if you're having serious issues or if you need stitches or whatever

they'll fix you up for the minute and then send you to the hospital

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I don't know what americans do lol

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I don't know what americans do lol

mostly just eat hot chip and die of preventable illnesses

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

psiox posted:

mostly just eat hot chip and die of preventable illnesses

don't go to the hospital emergency room unless like bone is poking out

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
it's cheaper and easier to get oxycodone than to go to the ER so don't worry about those eight broken ribs, here citizen, have some oprah smack

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh it's not a huge deal, they already cut all the tumor out they could find, this is just adjuvant therapy to help it stay gone

they've got me on FOLFOX, which google told me costs somewhere between $20k and $40k per cycle (i assume this includes labor and whatnot too). i'm in for 6 months of treatment, which is 12 cycles or something like a quarter mil or more of drugs

chemo drugs and antivenom are like the two most expensive possible drugs it seems

my father in law’s rattlesnake bite literally cost six and a half figgies

glad they got the tumor, hope you stay cancer free

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

around 30 years too early yeah. all the surgical recovery estimates and 5 year survival stats and whatnot assume the typical patients are 70 year old dudes lol

it was adenocarcenoma in the sigmoid colon, and that's typically a slow growing one so anywhere from 4 to 10 years, so it likely started brewing after we moved to california, sorry

i've been semi-jokingly blaming microplastics but there's actually a huge spike in people below the screening age getting it since like the mid-2000s or so, and since there aren't really symptoms (hence the screening) it's much more likely to kill those people. like chadwick boseman was diagnosed at 39 and had world-class celebrity healthcare and it still took him down. they've already lowered the screening age from 50 to 45, and will likely lower it again, it's really becoming a millennial disease and they have no idea why

go get screened even if you're under 45, several of hoverwife's doctor friends our age did after they heard lol
drat that sucks; at least they caught it. but either that or all the zillion other pollutants we poo poo out in mega-farming but it's not unlikely, there was also a recent paper that just came out showing that microplastics caused cell damage to human tissues which means nucleation point for cancer because that's often how cancer comes about is repairing damage. and yeah there's been a spike in weird poo poo like that. ill prob get checked out in a few years.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

kaiser is probably the model that will get copied if california ever secedes and makes its own UHC system.

If we didn't get universal health care during a pandemic is there is no way we are ever going to get it. Lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If we didn't get universal health care during a pandemic is there is no way we are ever going to get it. Lol

yeah lol. and california already has a democrat party supermajority and they killed uhc

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't know how to get through to you people. We're getting free* in home covid tests, what more do you want?

* after reimbursement through your insurance company, assuming you are insured, and that you're aware of the reimbursement program, and can fill out the paperwork. oh and you have to find the covid tests in stock somewhere near you. for you to buy. with your money. but you'll be reimbursed. probably.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
establishment democrats shouting at their voters that they should be loving HAPPY about whatever lovely policy they lazily half-implemented is their only strategy. would you rather have a Republican?? I think not, so I don’t see why you aren’t more excited about this means tested program that helps 1/3rd the effected population. it could have been zero of the population you greedy fucks

wait why do we keep losing elections

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

shoeberto posted:

I don't know how to get through to you people. We're getting free* in home covid tests, what more do you want?

* after reimbursement through your insurance company, assuming you are insured, and that you're aware of the reimbursement program, and can fill out the paperwork. oh and you have to find the covid tests in stock somewhere near you. for you to buy. with your money. but you'll be reimbursed. probably.

that bit from Smug Mom who Despises Us Jen Psaki was just insane

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

shoeberto posted:

if you're good little piggies we might talk about access to universal healthcare a few years down the road

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i am aged so i wear glasses now.
i, in theory, have some vision coverage.
there are like four places that take it, and they were booked out for exams forever.
i just went to the costco and paid 70 bucks for an exam and ordered some glasses from 39dollarglasses.com, which were 60 dollars because anti-glare coating is a great thing to have.
i can, in theory, send my bills to reimbursed.
i might even get some fraction of what i paid back and not sent on an adventure of "this is the wrong kind of invoice", "the invoice doesn't have the correct code on it", "please send an itemized bill that is different than the itemized bill you sent."

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

but that costs a lot of myunny :(

:house passes 780 billion more for war:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ultravoices posted:

i am aged so i wear glasses now.
i, in theory, have some vision coverage.
there are like four places that take it, and they were booked out for exams forever.
i just went to the costco and paid 70 bucks for an exam and ordered some glasses from 39dollarglasses.com, which were 60 dollars because anti-glare coating is a great thing to have.
i can, in theory, send my bills to reimbursed.
i might even get some fraction of what i paid back and not sent on an adventure of "this is the wrong kind of invoice", "the invoice doesn't have the correct code on it", "please send an itemized bill that is different than the itemized bill you sent."

yeah vision & dental insurance is a scam. costco doesn't take any insurance and it's cheaper to get my contacts there than any other place that "accepts" my insurance

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah vision & dental insurance is a scam. costco doesn't take any insurance and it's cheaper to get my contacts there than any other place that "accepts" my insurance

The price for 6 months worth of contacts using insurance at the eyeglass store was way more expensive than just buying them at costco.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my ex's inhalers were 50 bucks until we got insurance at what point they became a 60 buck co-pay

we paid a mexican friend to buy some for her at $3 each down in juarez

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i can't believe there was a time i was paying $300+ for glasses even after my insurance covered some of it. the last few pairs have come from warby parker for $100 but i still have trauma from before and wear them for too long

my wife has been buying statement glasses from some site called zeeloo and while they take months to get here they're never more than $10

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

america sucks rear end lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
oh yeah if youre going to lens crafters or pearle or w/e expect a solid $400

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

graph posted:

oh yeah if youre going to lens crafters or pearle or w/e expect a solid $400

im not. i went to nanshan glasses city and bought some korean made el cheapos

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

psiox posted:

for colon cancer screening you go in and tell them you're concerned and want a colonoscopy (or sigmoidoscopy, that one's easier)

the all-body scans irradiate you so they're not gonna do any of those without a good reason, but they'll totally stick a camera several feet up your butt no problem

the PET scan in particular is really cool, they have you starve yourself for a day and then inject you with radioactive sugar and scan you, the idea is that tumors are super hungry and will take in the radioactive sugars first, preferentially lighting up on the scan. the syringe is a fat lead-shielded thing and they cook it up for you in a cyclotron that day. makes you radioactive for a day or so, but that's only dangerous to kids and pregnant ladies and animals and stuff

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
dental insurance gets you a negotiated fee structure, it's not so much a scam so much as not what one thinks about when one thinks about the word insurance

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

around 30 years too early yeah. all the surgical recovery estimates and 5 year survival stats and whatnot assume the typical patients are 70 year old dudes lol

it was adenocarcenoma in the sigmoid colon, and that's typically a slow growing one so anywhere from 4 to 10 years, so it likely started brewing after we moved to california, sorry

i've been semi-jokingly blaming microplastics but there's actually a huge spike in people below the screening age getting it since like the mid-2000s or so, and since there aren't really symptoms (hence the screening) it's much more likely to kill those people. like chadwick boseman was diagnosed at 39 and had world-class celebrity healthcare and it still took him down. they've already lowered the screening age from 50 to 45, and will likely lower it again, it's really becoming a millennial disease and they have no idea why

go get screened even if you're under 45, several of hoverwife's doctor friends our age did after they heard lol

I’m legit going to go get screened based on this and that fact that everyone in my family does of cancer, with my grandparents both dying of colon cancer

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i was concerned about my health until reading the news and also work email so now i'm back on cancer's side for the day

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

for colon cancer screening you go in and tell them you're concerned and want a colonoscopy (or sigmoidoscopy, that one's easier)

the all-body scans irradiate you so they're not gonna do any of those without a good reason, but they'll totally stick a camera several feet up your butt no problem

the PET scan in particular is really cool, they have you starve yourself for a day and then inject you with radioactive sugar and scan you, the idea is that tumors are super hungry and will take in the radioactive sugars first, preferentially lighting up on the scan. the syringe is a fat lead-shielded thing and they cook it up for you in a cyclotron that day. makes you radioactive for a day or so, but that's only dangerous to kids and pregnant ladies and animals and stuff

cool cool

wait, animals?

i'm animal

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Jonny 290 posted:

More Smug Mom

https://twitter.com/BidenTracking/status/1469405376256876546

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

dental ins is worth it if you know you’ll use it and work pays part of the premium

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

Smug Mom who Despises Us Jen Psaki

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1469003594489815044

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kind of gobsmacked that if you ask a tory or rich republican or revarchist techlord what they think we're supposed to believe is that it's ok for the rich and powerful to all obviously be monstrous sex creeps because we need those people to lead us because they're from good families and went to the best schools and only they have what it takes to make the big decisions [even though they apparently couldn't decide to not abuse children]

make political offices like jury duty, randomly selected and everyone who gets picked just wants to do it then get on with their lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'll go one step further and state that the policy should be anybody that actively campaigns for a political position should be barred from it.

all the people that serve should hate it, look forward to their last day, be randomly selected, and paid heavily for it