Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Years ago a friend of mine wrote to Terry because she was hoping to invite him to speak at TCD's Debating Society and followed up with a call to his agent (not really hoping for much) and got the response "Oh yes, I remember your letter. Listen, Terry isn't going to be in Dublin anytime soon but would you like to talk to him?" and before she could process what was happening Rob had handed the phone over and she ended up having a half hour call with Terry who had been sitting in the same room and he told her all about the Aching book he was in the process of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

pratchett was a white boomer, and they mostly trust cops, because cops are usually nice to them
My memory might be letting me down on this, but I remember the protest/riot in Night Watch having the feel of, with one strong leader to keep them in line, no one will possibly go a step too far, even in the face of incredible violence against you, we must be pacifistic and not break anything. The Good Kind Of Protest that no centrist could argue was uncivil. And that just seems pathetic and naive in retrospect.

But on the other hand, it is fantasy...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The message of Night Watch was more "if you police protest with draconian force, you turn protest into riot, and possibly revolution". What Vimes does with The Glorious Republic Of Treacle Mine Road isn't any of those things, it's more like a military action. He enlists the public, builds a shitload of barricades, and mans them with armed partisans (and malicious grannies)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Pacifistic? They straight up burn down a police station and Vimes kills a cop and mercy-kills their victims

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There was a whole thing about the Dolly Sisters Riot starting as a peaceful protest, and only turned into a riot when the police escalated with violence.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Complete with agents provocateur to use it as an excuse for further crackdowns from the state.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ChubbyChecker posted:

pratchett was a white boomer, and they mostly trust cops, because cops are usually nice to them

I mean, yeah, this is pretty much it. For all that Pratchett was progressive, he wasn't perfect and he was a product of his times. Copaganda is amazingly pervasive and has only really been called out as such in the last decade.

And honestly, it's a compelling character: the cunning policeman who wants to solve mysteries and protect people and only hurt people who really deserve it (and we know they really deserve it because we've seen it from inside his head). He's a great protagonist, able to go anywhere and get his hands dirty, he lets you tell a lot of interesting stories about Bad People who he can righteously catch (and if he bends the laws a little bit on the way, it's okay because you've seen firsthand how Bad these People are).

There's a reason there are loving tons of cop shows out there, and at this point it's almost a secondary effect the way they pave the way for bad cops in real life.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
Also, if you are writing a series, it is easy to get a cop or detective involved with the plot. Other protagonists you got to figure out why they are there, why they care about the outcome, and why they don't just go home. With a cop or detective you can skip all those steps because the answer is "It's their job to solve this." I vaguely recall Pratchett mentioning that as a why there are so many Watch books. He wants to set something in Ankh Morpork and it is very easy to get the watch involved in the conflict. Part of why Moist was made was to be someone else to focus on that wouldn't get the watch involved.

Letting you skip those explanations lets you jump very quickly to the story. It's why there are so many crime procedurals. Every episode the answer to why the main character is involved is because they were hired/it's their job. It streamlines an episodic show.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is the current leftist discourse that anything portraying cops as anything other than complete inhuman monsters copaganda now or

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I can't speak for elsewhere, but in America there are no good cops. Good cops are a myth. If good cops existed, they'd be trying to stop the bad ones instead of defending them. They'd be leaving their unions en masse to protest the unions' protection of bad cops.

Cops also do not exist to protect people, they exist to protect the property of the wealthy and privileged. They always have, straight back to their origins as runaway slave patrols.

Anything portraying otherwise is copaganda.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Whew, good thing the Disc exists in a fictional dimension! You had me worried for a bit.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
And yet the Discworld books exist in the real world.

Given the themes of how narrative influences reality in the Disc, considering how the characters in the stories reflect and interact with real life society is pretty fundamental.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pratchett is writing from a UK perspective and Vimes represents the post-thatcher policing-by-consent ideal. He's also a perfect straight-man, which makes him a wonderful counterweight to whatever insanity Pratchett chooses to throw into his story.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alchenar posted:

Pratchett is writing from a UK perspective and Vimes represents the post-thatcher policing-by-consent ideal.

Robert Peel wasn't post-Thatcher.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jedit posted:

Robert Peel wasn't post-Thatcher.

I know, I think Pratchett is fudging the historic Peel reforms with more contemporary reforms to fit the duality of Rimworld being a fantasy land that experiences modern day issues - the plotlines around diversification of the Watch is very post-Stephen Lawrence.

e: well, actually written contemporaneously and probably a little before Lawrence's murder. Regardless Pratchett there is writing about the policy discussions about policing that were happening in the late 80/early 90's.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 13, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Devorum posted:

They always have, straight back to their origins as runaway slave patrols.

Anything portraying otherwise is copaganda.
But that's pretty specific to the USA though. In Britain or Europe in general cops doesn't origin from slave patrols.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Alhazred posted:

But that's pretty specific to the USA though. In Britain or Europe in general cops doesn't origin from slave patrols.

No, no, there’s only one country in the world and that’s America

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I always read the Dolly Sisters riot as a replay/reference to the Peterloo Massacre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterloo_Massacre

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

yaffle posted:

I always read the Dolly Sisters riot as a replay/reference to the Peterloo Massacre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterloo_Massacre

I always thought that too.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"Only American cops are bad. My country's cops are cool and good." :goonsay:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Alhazred posted:

I'd be willing to wager they do originate from protecting the wealth of the privileged class, though. It just manifests differently in Europe than it did in America.

I'm not saying that cops in Europe are as bad as in America, though I can say that in my experience the Italian carabinieri are pretty corrupt.

thetoughestbean posted:

No, no, there’s only one country in the world and that’s America

That's the entire reason I said "I can only speak on American cops". I've lived in more countries than 99% of Americans ever visit. I know other countries exist, and I know their policing isn't all the same.

That doesn't make European cops the good guys.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 13, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Imagined posted:

"Only American cops are bad. My country's cops are cool and good." :goonsay:

I’m American, I don’t think foreign cops are shining beacons of justice, but goddamn is it tiresome for every discussion about a fantasy world to eventually end up with a person yelling about how all cops are bastards.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Pratchett could write good cops since he was writing fantasy books.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Why is the debate in a Pratchett thread about real-world cops and not about whether Sam Vimes is a bastard? Because I’m pretty sure he’s depicted as a bastard who just happens to be interested in justice.

Carrot is the copaganda character if the thread wants to discuss that, on top of being the pro-monarchy character, arguably. I’d argue that latter point shows Pratchett indicating that a rightful and wise monarch would refuse the position, but the former is more complex and interesting. The Fifth Elephant certainly offers some evidence that Carrot is a bastard, for instance, but he’s off-duty.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Narsham posted:

Why is the debate in a Pratchett thread about real-world cops and not about whether Sam Vimes is a bastard? Because I’m pretty sure he’s depicted as a bastard who just happens to be interested in justice.

ITT we get back on topic - love it. And yes, Vimes is most definitely a bastard. So is Carrot but he is also better at hiding it.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Devorum posted:

I'm not saying that cops in Europe are as bad as in America, though I can say that in my experience the Italian carabinieri are pretty corrupt.

This is a bad example because they are military and that's also why they are untouchable which helps with getting a good corruption on.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

not a bot posted:

This is a bad example because they are military and that's also why they are untouchable which helps with getting a good corruption on.

Sure, but I saw far more of them than I did Polizia di Stato when I lived there. Hell, I saw more Guardia di Finanzia than Polizia. Maybe it's a regional thing, though.

The thing is, I don't really see The Watch as real copaganda. It kinda toes the line, with Carrot representing the ideal Good Cop, but Nobby is a right bastard...especially early on. Always up to put the boot in and shake someone down.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Narsham posted:

Carrot is the copaganda character if the thread wants to discuss that, on top of being the pro-monarchy character, arguably. I’d argue that latter point shows Pratchett indicating that a rightful and wise monarch would refuse the position, but the former is more complex and interesting. The Fifth Elephant certainly offers some evidence that Carrot is a bastard, for instance, but he’s off-duty.
Carrot is the scariest person in the Watch because he's so charismatic. And it's also aknowledge in the book that if he ever flipped (and he comes pretty close to flipping In the Fifth Elephant) everyone would be hosed because he would be unstoppable.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m American, I don’t think foreign cops are shining beacons of justice, but goddamn is it tiresome for every discussion about a fantasy world to eventually end up with a person yelling about how all cops are bastards.

The trouble is that closest British analogue to the Watch is the London Metropolitan Police, and they are all corrupt racist fucks who revel in violence and are basically the militant wing of the Tory party.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
In a way, Guards, Guards! is closer to TCM/TLF in spirit than the later books, albeit much more polished. The police procedural aspects is clearly there as a way to parody the fantasy aspect (The grunts are actually solving the fantasy plot by way of modern police work) and not itself the target of parody. That changes pretty fast, with the following books becoming the police procedurals.

And honestly, Prachett does the "Institutions aren't bad, people are bad" a lot throughout his books. And that does make a lot of sense with his humanistic/optimistic outlook on life. And that a series that started in the early '80 isn't 100% in line with a 2021 social discurs isn't that surprising either.

edit: Also Carot sucks, both as a concept and as a character.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 13, 2021

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Pyramids talks a lot about the institutionalisation of horror and Carrot is amazing

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The trouble is that closest British analogue to the Watch is the London Metropolitan Police, and they are all corrupt racist fucks who revel in violence and are basically the militant wing of the Tory party.

Yes, but the closest Disc analogue to the Met is the Watch when Vimes first joined. Which, in turn, is like the London police before the Met was founded on the Peelian principles. Vimes isn't what a copper is; he's what a copper should be.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's also a not particuarly subtle point Pratchett makes about how diversity makes the Watch better at its job.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

And Vimes is explicitly the only person suited to his job because he hates structures of authority. Y'all acting like you never heard of Old Stoneface.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

Pyramids talks a lot about the institutionalisation of horror ...

Sorry to be a dunce, but what does this mean?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Strange Cares posted:

Sorry to be a dunce, but what does this mean?

I had the wrong book, but this quote is the heart of it;

Small Gods posted:

There were no jolly little signs saying: You Don’t Have To Be Pitilessly Sadistic To Work Here But It Helps!!
But there were things to suggest to a thinking man that the Creator of mankind had a very oblique sense of fun indeed, and to breed in his heart a rage to storm the gates of heaven.
The mugs, for example. The inquisitors stopped work twice a day for coffee. Their mugs, which each man had brought from home, were grouped around the kettle on the hearth of the central furnace which incidentally heated the irons and knives.
They had legends on them like A Present From the Holy Grotto of Ossory, or To The World’s Greatest Daddy. Most of them were chipped, and no two of them were the same.
And there were the postcards on the wall. It was traditional that, when an inquisitor went on holiday, he’d send back a crudely colored woodcut of the local view with some suitably jolly and risqué message on the back. And there was the pinned-up tearful letter from Inquisitor First Class Ishmale “Pop” Quoom, thanking all the lads for collecting no fewer than seventy-eight obols for his retirement pension and the lovely bunch of flowers for Mrs. Quoom, indicating that he’d always remember his days in No. 3 pit, and was looking forward to coming in and helping out any time they were short-handed.
And it all meant this: that there are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
Vorbis loved knowing that. A man who knew that, knew everything he needed to know about people

Vorbis is described as a zealot wedded to the machinery of the state, quisitioning anyone for Om. The vindictivness of the torture is abstracted and mechanised by the end of the book.

Granny Weatherwax’ ‘people as things’ speech comes about as a discussion on Omniasm generally, and then into Night Watch and the Specials offices during the raid.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I was thinking I'd missed a really major theme in Pyramids. I guess it... kind of... fits?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

I had the wrong book, but this quote is the heart of it;

Vorbis is described as a zealot wedded to the machinery of the state, quisitioning anyone for Om. The vindictivness of the torture is abstracted and mechanised by the end of the book.

Granny Weatherwax’ ‘people as things’ speech comes about as a discussion on Omniasm generally, and then into Night Watch and the Specials offices during the raid.
Speaking of Vorbis. I really liked how his assumption that the world does not rest on the back of a giant cosmic turtle would make sense if he lived somewhere normal.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I don't think Vorbis ever actually cared whether it was true or not. He persecuted it because it was counter to the teachings of Om, and that was his power framework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

He absolutely doesn't care. He says as much about his views on what is True verses true when Brutha asks him what really happened to the person they sent to Ephebia in the first place.