Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Mouzer posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-de-lists-overwhelmingly-disliked-nft-announcement-video/

Lol. It's been two days and they are already walking back their NFT announcements.

Good.

nothing was walked back... its just a disliked video post

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Every tweet, every article, every office hallway discussion about this poo poo sounds like the "foreign" dialogue in Team America: World Police.

:grin: "Bitcoin crypto blockchain blockchain NFT?"

:byodood: "Blockchain blockchain crypto bitcoin TETHER!"

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Thanks for letting us know that neither you nor the people you listen to know jack poo poo about technical trading, but we already figured that out on our own.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mouzer posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-de-lists-overwhelmingly-disliked-nft-announcement-video/

Lol. It's been two days and they are already walking back their NFT announcements.

Good.

The video was always unlisted

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
A crash is actually good for Bitcoin, because

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

personally, I wouldn't take investment advice from someone who thinks vaccination is a crime against humanity

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mouzer posted:

Good.

That’s weird, it looked like 100% of everyone liked it though

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Y'all I've graphed out the trajectory of crypto!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Buy the loop!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I like it when the graphs have pretty colours :allears:.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

disco stu

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Wait, it Bitcoinity down or has Bitcoin trading ground to a halt?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Xanderkish posted:

Per a recommendation from one of the at least three cryptocurrency threads on this forum, I started reading Attack of the 50-Foot Blockchain.

I've long known Bitcoin was stupid, but this: What a mind-bogglingly stupid system.

my heart is warmed!

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Three Olives posted:

Wait, it Bitcoinity down or has Bitcoin trading ground to a halt?
Satoshi tripped on the power cord to the block chain. He should plug it back in shortly.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my weed guy used to take payment via bank transfer but now he only does bitcoin

help

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

hbag posted:

my weed guy used to take payment via bank transfer but now he only does bitcoin

help

Move to a state where you can buy weed in a store

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

HKR posted:

Move to a state where you can buy weed in a store

i live in england

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

syntaxfunction posted:

Took me a second but lol

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
hey if anyone here is crypto rich and wants to fund a small development project in the gambia it would save us a lot of time applying for grants. budget is still being worked out but should be less than $45k

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

hbag posted:

i live in england

England is not short of dealers. Just find another.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Mega Comrade posted:

England is not short of dealers. Just find another.

it took me long enough to get over my social anxiety and general paranoia enough to talk to THIS guy

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Phlag posted:

Is there anything stopping me from creating a new NFT for that digital image and trying to pass it off as an original?

I assume it's something along the lines of, "NFTs are linked to their creator, and we know that you are not the original artist." But if you have to check with some centralized organization like OpenSea to validate if the NFT is authentic not, it seems to defeat the purpose.

Maybe I'm nitpicking and should focus on the more obvious flaws with NFTs, but I feel like even if you set those aside, the technology doesn't seem like it'd do a good job of tracking legitimate ownership.

Nope. There was actually a Twitter thread a few weeks back where a creator of game assets had their assets ripped off and made into an NFT. He complained about it, and then he got harassed by the NFT community, because they wanted him to "work with" the people who ripped him off. They were upset that they were going to lose their "investments." Which basically shows that all the talk about securing creators' rights and rewarding them is a load of bullshit.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Every time I hear a story like that, I get sightly more convinced that NFTs will receive some kind of legal recognition in one state or another, leading to the nft creator suing the actual artist.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/pepsi/status/1469412616678395918

https://twitter.com/v0paNFT/status/1469364276108226566
https://twitter.com/v0paNFT/status/1469379952332066819

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is good for bitcoin.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This is on pepsi.com right now:

This is existentially embarrassing

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Paying pepsico in etherium so that I can mint an NFT with a link to an image of a microphone.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Guys, we made the NFTs and publicized them but everyone hates us for it now, how did this happen????!!!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Advertise more NFTs and this time force people to pay the transactions fees. PROBLEM SOLVED

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 11, 2021

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
This feels like trading cards. It's got that same scent of "Oooh, this is a foil-wrapped Charizard." Complete with a whole secondary economy based around trading it like a commodity.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Xanderkish posted:

This feels like trading cards. It's got that same scent of "Oooh, this is a foil-wrapped Charizard." Complete with a whole secondary economy based around trading it like a commodity.

The charizard is both A: an actual object you can own and B: useful in its own right as a game piece.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
And yet I am equally unable to buy a pizza with a Charizard, despite my protestations to the local chamber of commerce.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Xanderkish posted:

And yet I am equally unable to buy a pizza with a Charizard, despite my protestations to the local chamber of commerce.

there are more pizza places where this is possible than there are for bitcoin

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Xanderkish posted:

You just forgot your link cable

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

if it wasnt terrible for the environment id probably mint some NFTs only to swap the image at the link in the token out with fuckin tubgirl or something (some of those losers would probably go "yeah well i own goatse now!!!!", tubgirl is less appealing in that regard)
the ultimate own

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Can I get an NFT for a NFT? Can I have a Matryoshka Doll of NFT's?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

*looking at default unreal engine sample character running on a flat plane*

the metaverse is here............

https://twitter.com/ArkerCommunity/status/1468955678244892682

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ELTON JOHN posted:

hey if anyone here is crypto rich and wants to fund a small development project in the gambia it would save us a lot of time applying for grants. budget is still being worked out but should be less than $45k

How is working with the Barrow government? I was kind of disappointed to hear he went back on the term limit agreement, but I don't know much about the day to day governance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

repiv posted:

*looking at default unreal engine sample character running on a flat plane*

the metaverse is here............

https://twitter.com/ArkerCommunity/status/1468955678244892682

I tried to click on the link to read the replies, but had forgotten that I had set up an add-on that redirects any Twitter URL I try to access to a website that generates random quotes from Stoic philosophers, for my own protection.

This particular quote I got was from Seneca: "Truth often harms the one who digs it up." Seems appropriate here.