Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

ad090 posted:

Oh it's not a leak spoiler it was a lame joke when you mentioned all the spoiler tags, my "spoiler" says Rand Al'Thor.

Oh thank god lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Oh yeah the inn keeper in the episode was subtitled as Basel Gill. I wonder if he will come back in the future, I'm assuming not but there's always a chance.

The Tar Valon inn he runs is named "The Light's Blessing," as well. This leads me to believe that we may not actually go to Camelyn next season, and Rand may just meet Elayne somehow when she is travelling to/from Tar Valon. I mean, that, and that there isn't much reason to go to Camelyn with Logain already gentled and in the Tower.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Synastren posted:

The Tar Valon inn he runs is named "The Light's Blessing," as well. This leads me to believe that we may not actually go to Camelyn next season, and Rand may just meet Elayne somehow when she is travelling to/from Tar Valon. I mean, that, and that there isn't much reason to go to Camelyn with Logain already gentled and in the Tower.

totally agree, i think when they get back to the Tower we're going to meet her as Egwene's novice roommate and she can meet-cute with Rand somehow

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

I saw being angry. Incredibly angry at how arrogant and stupid Nynaeve was being. It's also not like Nynaeve walking off beforehand actually changed anything other than moving the tongue lashing to afterwards, and allowing Moraine to deal with one issue at a time rather than both at once.

Really though, the entire scene framing was absolutely classic tv/movie stakeout. There'd be absolutely no reason for Moraine to just wait across the street for a bit if she wasn't deliberately waiting for something to happen (Nynaeve leaving).

Exactly. Moiraine really really didn't want Nynaeve (aka one of the most powerful channelers in the last 1000 years when she is angry) interfering or trying to protect Mat, which Nynaeve absolutely would have done if she was present. Of course Moiraine is gonna wait for Nynaeve to go away.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

I saw being angry. Incredibly angry at how arrogant and stupid Nynaeve was being.

That's the Nynaeve experience for like 3/4 of the books. That and Egwene being absolutely convinced she's the greatest to ever do it are the most on point to the books characterisations. You can fairly point out the differences with the other characters without going on to have controversial opinions about the holocaust. But those 2 are exactly as who they were at their core in the books.

Like book Thom is kind of queeny. He makes a big deal out of how important he is and he's very theatrical even when he wants to kill a trolloc. Very preening even though he's super serious on another level. And that's fun. Show Thom is wearing a leather duster because he's bad rear end and he would never sing at people in 'high chant' let alone juggle. The most dangerous man is one who knows history, book Thom would take the view it can be dangerous to know history. Maybe book Thom would be too goofy on screen with all the honking through his moustache so they had to do that change. Whatever

Nynaeve thinking she knows more than anyone else and they're the jerk for thinking they know something she doesn't is just pure Nynaeve.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Show Thom just strikes me as post-Dena Thom from the books but more sober. Owyn's fate clearly hit him much harder. Hopefully he'll meet up with Mat in Tar Valon, they'll get into shenanigans, and the flamboyant Thom we all know and love will get dragged out of his grief.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Don't know about Thom getting more flamboyant. Feel the change is just a move in the culture. EOTW came out in 1990, the first UFC happened in 1993 and after that increasingly you had to go people have super powers or there are grim realities about what being good in a hand to hand/sword to sword fight amounts to. GOT came out in 1996 and it still had Tyrion doing backflips to impress Jon Snow. But that poo poo went away very quickly.

Like if Thom starts twirling knives your brain goes from this is cool to why have they not just stabbed him already much faster now than it would have when your experience of cinema violence was bruce lee rather than watching, I don't know, Khabib maul a guy on the ground.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Thanks to the show I started rereading the series for the first time since quitting halfway through book 9 in high school and it's not quite how I remembered it. My impression at the time was that it was a relatively wholesome series, like a slightly more adult Sword of Shannara, and uh, it's definitely not that. Did anyone else miss just how horny the books are or was I just way too innocent in high school?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

Thanks to the show I started rereading the series for the first time since quitting halfway through book 9 in high school and it's not quite how I remembered it. My impression at the time was that it was a relatively wholesome series, like a slightly more adult Sword of Shannara, and uh, it's definitely not that. Did anyone else miss just how horny the books are or was I just way too innocent in high school?

uhh with all the rapes and such yeah i guess

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The books get hornier and hornier. Book 2 Rand is astonished and troubled that he could be attracted to someone who isn't his childhood girlfriend and he doesn't even fantasise about sex he thinks about marrying her as a precondition to sex. The hormones really turn on from about book 4. Courtesy to Else Grinwell who has to sleep in her parents bed in book 1 lest she go from virgin to threesome with strangers.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Barreft posted:

There’s not that many rapes. It’s certainly not GoT level

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

goethe.cx posted:

There’s not that many rapes. It’s certainly not GoT level

definitely not, I know.

I'm just curious if they even show it. It's not needed at all, just have Haran (if it even makes the cut) backhand them or something.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Goofballs posted:

The books get hornier and hornier. Book 2 Rand is astonished and troubled that he could be attracted to someone who isn't his childhood girlfriend and he doesn't even fantasise about sex he thinks about marrying her as a precondition to sex. The hormones really turn on from about book 4. Courtesy to Else Grinwell who has to sleep in her parents bed in book 1 lest she go from virgin to threesome with strangers.

The moment Min shows up with her temptresses britches the whole thing goes off the rails.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MegaZeroX posted:

God drat it, I don't know what is behind that spoiler, but I know that can't be Rand given the length. Can you loving not spoil poo poo when its clear I'm not partaking in the leaks? I'm guessing its "everyone" based on the length, which will be fun if true, but I'm annoyed as it is that you did that.

lmao

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Pleads posted:

temptresses britches

Looking forward to this

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the dragon is the friends we made along the way

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

MegaZeroX posted:

God drat it, I don't know what is behind that spoiler, but I know that can't be Rand given the length. Can you loving not spoil poo poo when its clear I'm not partaking in the leaks? I'm guessing its "everyone" based on the length, which will be fun if true, but I'm annoyed as it is that you did that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Pleads posted:

The moment Min shows up with her temptresses britches the whole thing goes off the rails.

She's gonna need to find a new personality trait for the first half of the series besides "wears pants" considering Maigan already beat her to that. Her becoming a philosopher and scholar after Herid Fel dies is a good character direction and naturally fits someone who can see the future

Edit: I forgot about the several books where her personality is "wearing a dress, but not happy about it (unless Rand would like it)"

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 11, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

the dragon is the friends we made along the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnXJzHQgmQA

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The Glumslinger posted:

She's gonna need to find a new personality trait for the first half of the series besides wears pants considering Maigan already beat her to that

Maigan is gonna get what's coming to her for that little overstep

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Goofballs posted:

Don't know about Thom getting more flamboyant. Feel the change is just a move in the culture. EOTW came out in 1990, the first UFC happened in 1993 and after that increasingly you had to go people have super powers or there are grim realities about what being good in a hand to hand/sword to sword fight amounts to. GOT came out in 1996 and it still had Tyrion doing backflips to impress Jon Snow. But that poo poo went away very quickly.

Like if Thom starts twirling knives your brain goes from this is cool to why have they not just stabbed him already much faster now than it would have when your experience of cinema violence was bruce lee rather than watching, I don't know, Khabib maul a guy on the ground.

There's still some of that flamboyantness there. Like when he walks up on Mat who's pointing the dagger like it's a gun and he just, presents the knife that Mat didn't see.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Barreft posted:

No I remembered there being nudity, sex, and implied sexual violence, I just didn't remember the spankings and public humiliation and aggressively sexual flirting etc.

Goofballs posted:

Good point, I probably formed that impression during the first book where all the characters seemed afraid to kiss and showing an ankle was a big deal.

Mayor Dave fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 11, 2021

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Goofballs posted:

robert jordan had a complex personal journey with horniness

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PupsOfWar posted:

robert jordan had a complex personal journey with horniness

i mean don't we all

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So, did anyone see the 3 on the oath rod? Some folks are saying they saw it. I was looking for it but didn't see it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And punch

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainFortea posted:

So, did anyone see the 3 on the oath rod? Some folks are saying they saw it. I was looking for it but didn't see it.

What do you mean the "3"?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

The tower rod has a numeral 3 in it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Barreft posted:

The oath rods are all numbered. It's basically an identification number from when they were used to bind criminals in the Age of Legends. The one the White Tower has is numbered '3'. The Aes Sedai of Rand's time think it's because of the Three Oaths, but really it's just rod #3 out of however many they had.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Watching the Tori Talks episode 6 chat and these two ladies are so sweet and charming :allears:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Oh yeah, it had a 3? yeah there's a bunch of them numbered. Honestly good detail to keep

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Glumslinger posted:

She's gonna need to find a new personality trait for the first half of the series besides "wears pants" considering Maigan already beat her to that.

Moraine too, I think this was the first episode she wore a dress.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hexel posted:

I believe I've identified Ishi's actor

Numan Acar

BRING BACK B-ZANE

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

jng2058 posted:

While I'm aware that some people are having more trouble with this than I am....and are posting to say so in the danker parts of the internet...I'm able to accept the "new turning of the Wheel" idea and just enjoy the show for what it is. Which I admit is slightly ironic given that I also post a "what changed" summary every week, but change isn't necessarily bad. I don't agree with all of them (I still think Laila got done dirty) but overall I'm still quite enjoying the show.

Thanks for posting these, by the way! I haven't read the books in maybe two decades (and gave up around #9 or #10 previously), so my memory of what happened is pretty fuzzy. I'm enjoying the show, but also interested in understanding how it's been adapted.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

BRING BACK B-ZANE

r/whitecloaks will lose their minds

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pleads posted:

Maigan is gonna get what's coming to her for that little overstep

Maigan gonna be Ryma/Pura

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Maigan gonna be Ryma/Pura

Yeah, she's absolutely going to be a damane

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the actor they got for lews therin is pretty hot and the fact that some of those nerdlords have melted down about him not being white is hilarious to me. legit just corncobbing hard about it and they don't even have anything to hide behind for it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Khizan posted:

The oath rods are all numbered. It's basically an identification number from when they were used to bind criminals in the Age of Legends. The one the White Tower has is numbered '3'. The Aes Sedai of Rand's time think it's because of the Three Oaths, but really it's just rod #3 out of however many they had.

I have to assume the main reason is (iirc) you need the oath rod you swore on in order to release from that oath, so it would be really fuckin lovely if you didn't know which one it was!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Leak chat:

huge fan of giving the forsaken (if that's Ishamael in the screenshot) cool modern style suits or otherwise scifi coded clothing. Really helps reinforce that these guys are from a hugely different time and that they're living among primitives.