Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

i mean jet is white in the anime, to the point that him being a pallid nightcrawler of a motherfucker is explicitly called out at least once, it’s just that beau billingslea owned the role so hard everyone decided that it was better otherwise. race has never really been a big part of bebop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the earth in cowboy bebop is essentially uninhabitable so i think ethnic distinctions based on earth locations are obsolete in the setting anyway. Spike is a martian and Jet is from ganymede. there's asian crime syndicates but they let anybody in

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I tried watching that show years ago and I just couldn't get into it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

let us bow our heads and take a moment of silence to consider what might have been.

Someone online compared her to the girls in that old foam adventure video and it's spot on.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

i mean jet is white in the anime, to the point that him being a pallid nightcrawler of a motherfucker is explicitly called out at least once, it’s just that beau billingslea owned the role so hard everyone decided that it was better otherwise. race has never really been a big part of bebop.

Someone post the clip with the horny old white lady again

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Listen kiddo, I get it

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

Trying to adapt Cowboy Bebop sounds like an unwinnable proposition to me since the cartoon's appeal came in large part from a hand drawn visual style and quirky character mannerisms that really do not come off well in live action. From what I saw, they could have dialed back a lot of the mannerisms, but then it'd have just been a lot like Firefly. I bet a lot of the original anime fans would have found even a much better adaptation disappointing because you don't get the same joy you get from the cartoon.

yeah it was always an ill conceived idea that was doomed to fail. making live action versions of cartoons just doesnt make any sense to begin with, unless you have a really clear idea of what you want to do

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The live action Rurouni Kenshin movies are supposed to be pretty good.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

let japanese people do their own remakes? where do you get these crazy ideas

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

babypolis posted:

yeah it was always an ill conceived idea that was doomed to fail. making live action versions of cartoons just doesnt make any sense to begin with, unless you have a really clear idea of what you want to do

I mean it does make sense, people successfully adapt things to different mediums all the time, and it's very easy to name animated films that could be trivially translated to live action (off the top of my head: Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade)

it's just that, as you say, you need to have a clear idea of what you want to do, and combine that with an appreciation of the strengths and limitations of both mediums under consideration so you can adapt things properly

if the appeal of the original is sufficiently tied to the medium it might well be true that adaptation is "impossible"/highly inadvisable, but to my mind that's more stuff like the Looney Tunes than Bebop, which (despite the importance of its stylization) imo has enough to form the basis of a strong live action show

e: oh lol apparently someone already made a live-action adaptation of Jin Roh in 2018 (moved to South Korea), though its apparently not very good so maybe I should have chosen a different example!

LGD has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Dec 10, 2021

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

They're missing the crucial step: Anime --> Japanese live action remake --> American remake of the live action show/movie

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LGD posted:

I mean it does make sense, people successfully adapt things to different mediums all the time, and it's very easy to name animated films that could be trivially translated to live action (off the top of my head: Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade)

was this just speculative or were you aware theres a korean live action version of jin roh the wolf brigade

its got its issues but not for reasons having anything to do with it being adapted from a cartoon

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

was this just speculative or were you aware theres a korean live action version of jin roh the wolf brigade

its got its issues but not for reasons having anything to do with it being adapted from a cartoon

purely speculative lol, I edited in a note, I was just thinking “non-garbage anime that people might actually know and would be easy to envision working on a mid-tier film budget” and it immediately leapt to mind

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

spoken like someone who didn’t watch Ghost in the Shell: Arise

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

what English language directors are good at stylized action?

Edgar Wright and the Wachowskis are all I can think of working today.

edit: Michael Bay and Zack Snyder possibly too. But they've been ripped off so much it changes how I watch their original work.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Zack Snyder's Cowboy Bebop would make most media threads unreadable for weeks after release

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Nolan shoots a good car chase and occasionally a good one-on-one fight.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Zack Snyder's Cowboy Bebop would make most media threads unreadable for weeks after release

it would be utterly unwatchable, too. Zack Snyder is already garbage, but then you add the obnoxious tone of most anime and you've got real mind-poison.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

The live action Rurouni Kenshin movies are supposed to be pretty good.

I thought they were very good, excellent set design and choreography

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Atrocious Joe posted:

edit: Michael Bay and Zack Snyder possibly too. But they've been ripped off so much it changes how I watch their original work.

off the top of my head: Jesse v Johnson, Isaac Florentine, Tarantino, the 4 you mentioned, Justin lin, James Cameron, Robert rodriguez , George Miller, Chad stahelski, gareth Evans, whoever directed dredd, atomic blonde and nobody

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Dec 11, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Looking forward to articles about how the new Matrix is being irresponsible for demonizing police at a time when crime rates are rising

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

wheres that person who called me racist for not thinking usopp was black because of his hair come on man back me up

He is canonically the equivalent of African, according to the author, and is implied to be mixed race. The Spanish dub made him into a Barbary corsair.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Blackbeard is the best African one piece character

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

CHLOE ZHAO

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

i just said her name to the tune of Popozao and it's the best thing I've done all day.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Id say the fact they are ripped off alot is a pretty good indication they know what they´re doing

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i just said her name to the tune of Popozao and it's the best thing I've done all day.

I totally forgot about that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR4zHS-vttw

Chlo
Chlo
Chlo
Chlo
Chloe ZHAO!
Chloe ZHAO!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

McCloud posted:

Id say the fact they are ripped off alot is a pretty good indication they know what they´re doing

must be why he is straight to netflix

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Eric Cantonese posted:

I totally forgot about that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR4zHS-vttw

Chlo
Chlo
Chlo
Chlo
Chloe ZHAO!
Chloe ZHAO!

it's nothing without the video. he's so into it

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's nothing without the video. he's so into it

Am I weird in thinking that it would have been a hit if he gave it to Pitbull? It's like a good mixer and 2 guest verses away from being a late 2000s club hit.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

Neveldine/Taylor used to be great
Shane Black can be
You're right that stable is pretty barren
It's all weirdly clean digital print CGI schlock like The Meg and Kong or shakey cam "this is action" stuff like the Bourne movies

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

Am I weird in thinking that it would have been a hit if he gave it to Pitbull? It's like a good mixer and 2 guest verses away from being a late 2000s club hit.

no and that's the amazing thing about it. he was like five years ahead of pop music in America lmfao

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1469440425635287042?t=zGQjvW9580I0D7AmDYaN9g&s=19

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
There's tons of great action directors!! It's literally just marvel and teen focused stuff (hunger games, maze runner) that's bad at it

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Atrocious Joe posted:

Tarantino, plus he loves anime

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I loving love Keanu

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

so I was watching Stripes tonight as I like to do and then doing some parallel Wikipedia'ing and imdb'ing and came upon Sean Young:

Wikipedia posted:

She was next cast as Vicki Vale in Tim Burton's film Batman (1989), but during rehearsals, she broke her arm after falling off a horse and was replaced by Kim Basinger. In an unsuccessful attempt to win the role of Catwoman (which was originally offered to Annette Bening but, after Bening became pregnant, Michelle Pfeiffer was cast) in the sequel Batman Returns (1992), Young constructed a homemade Catwoman costume and attempted to contact Burton and actor Michael Keaton during production. She appeared on The Joan Rivers Show in character as the Catwoman, campaigning for the role and making a plea to Tim Burton.

https://youtu.be/ZGNtGke9c8Y

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Remember the Oldboy remake lmao

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

watching Home Alone and explaining to my kids that they didn't have cell phones and it was before 9/11 so you could just run through an airport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Just saw the lighthouse.

Turpentine and latent homosexuality is a hell of a combo.