Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I buy my masks from https://canadastrongmasks.ca/ (the url seems super chuddy, but as far as I can tell it's just unfortunate naming). They have kids masks and their headstrap masks seal really well (at least the model I have, which doesn't seem to be available anymore).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

enki42 posted:

I buy my masks from https://canadastrongmasks.ca/ (the url seems super chuddy, but as far as I can tell it's just unfortunate naming). They have kids masks and their headstrap masks seal really well (at least the model I have, which doesn't seem to be available anymore).

Seconding. Made in Canada KN95s in multiple sizes and the prices are pretty reasonable compared to similar Canadian sites.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
If you find ones you like on there you can often just order them for cheaper from the manufacturer too (like https://shop.vitacore.ca/products/can99-respirator). I bought a bunch and my nose is too big :(

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Just started looking at the info provided now - I might buy from a couple of different places mentioned above to see what I like best.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

IT BURNS posted:

Any news on supplies in Vancouver/highway rebuilds? Seems like the weather is still loving with things.

It is, but the rail from Kelowna to van is open again, and 8 and 99 are getting there.

1... woof.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

ColdBlooded posted:

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Just started looking at the info provided now - I might buy from a couple of different places mentioned above to see what I like best.

Costco has KN95's too, that's what I've been using.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I made a typo searching for ICQ and found that the University of Calgary has a campus in Qatar, which was the fashion at the time and uhhhh why?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Oil.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Cops only "warn" and "educate", even if people are doing something illegal:

https://twitter.com/cbcnewsbc/status/1468093668670251009

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The RCMP only ever uses force if you are indigenous and/or protesting pipelines.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ZeeBoi posted:

Cops only "warn" and "educate", even if people are doing something illegal:

https://twitter.com/cbcnewsbc/status/1468093668670251009

They brought police snipers to at least one pipeline protest

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

They brought police snipers to at least one pipeline protest

Look, they’re like rescue dogs; if they don’t get out regularly they get depressed.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Look, they’re like rescue dogs; if they don’t get out regularly they get depressed.

From the look of their brand new kit it appears they've actually never been out and just wanted to use their new toys. On that note I'm pretty sure I saw suppressors, which aren't overly appropriate for domestic operations!

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

acumen posted:

From the look of their brand new kit it appears they've actually never been out and just wanted to use their new toys. On that note I'm pretty sure I saw suppressors, which aren't overly appropriate for domestic operations!
Yeah but its harder for journalists to document being shot at if they can't simply record loud gunfire.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, remember when they rounded up a dozen peacefully protestors on their own land and they needed dogs and drones and loving sniper rifles? Bastards top to bottom.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I remember when part of BC was underwater and they sent RCMP officers to harass native protesters

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

At 3am this morning, the UCP passed bill 81 making it legal for anybody to purchase party memberships in bulk for anybody else without their consent, and legal for third parties to pay for transportation for people to vote in leadership races and by-elections. This is one of the, at the time illegal, methods Kenney used in the first place to steal the UCP leadership election.

There were 3 dissenters within the party, so they limited debate to 1 hour, and then had their ministers eat up the entire hour talking about bullshit.

Jason Kenney is putting the pieces in place to not only keep control of the UCP, but go into the 2023 general election with millions of dollars of corporate donations that were illegal before he began this attack on election fairness.

Scary thread:

https://twitter.com/MBellefontaine/status/1468438052729098244

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 9, 2021

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

fuckin lmao

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
This worked so well when they tried to do similar fuckery with municipal elections.

Kenney doesn't have the support he thinks he does and unions will just go "lol lmao ok you loving idiot lets go"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

apatheticman posted:

This worked so well when they tried to do similar fuckery with municipal elections.

Kenney doesn't have the support he thinks he does and unions will just go "lol lmao ok you loving idiot lets go"

The bill also bans "party associated" organizations from election advertising, such as the Alberta Federation of Labour which is recognized as the voice of labour in Alberta in the NDP's constitution making them an NDP associated.

It will also be used to prevent any organization who has spoken out about Kenney from spending on election advertising.

They have also launched a "budget consultation"

https://www.alberta.ca/budget-2022-consultation.aspx

It's full of leading questions and right wing talking points to manufacture consent to cut services and workers rights and raise fees for government services to pretend they're not raising taxes.

they're going to kill people to claim they balanced the budget

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

https://masks4canada.org/how-to-properly-make-buy-and-use-a-mask/

At that url is a listing of all Canadian manufacturers of medical masks along with urls of some of the retail online sites with legitimate inventory/supply chains.

Why its a page designed in 1990 style, I can't answer that.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

unknown posted:

At that url is a listing of all Canadian manufacturers of medical masks along with urls of some of the retail online sites with legitimate inventory/supply chains.

Are those.... frames?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Powershift posted:

The bill also bans "party associated" organizations from election advertising, such as the Alberta Federation of Labour which is recognized as the voice of labour in Alberta in the NDP's constitution making them an NDP associated.

It will also be used to prevent any organization who has spoken out about Kenney from spending on election advertising.

Time for the left to start using bad faith bullshit as well, set up a spin-off organization, don't disclose. Easy peasy.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

unknown posted:

Thank you and the web 1.0 style is awesome. gently caress the haters.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I got some of the Canada Strong masks, I don't consider myself a giant or anything but the 508s were really tight and a few of the earloops snapped off. I went with the 510s and they fit really nicely.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Alctel posted:

Are those.... frames?

Frames had an untimely demise and if browsers kept working on them before giving up they'd be downright amazing.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

pokeyman posted:

Frames had an untimely demise and if browsers kept working on them before giving up they'd be downright amazing.

Don't worry, there's always iframes

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

quote:

Francisco Martinez arrived as a refugee and devoted his life to helping others make a home in Canada, too
JOE GUNN
CONTRIBUTED TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL

Francisco Rico Martinez: Rebel. Family man. Refugee. Advocate. Born May 10, 1958, in Santa Ana, El Salvador; died Aug. 13, 2021, in Toronto, of cancer; aged 63.

You always knew when Francisco Rico Martinez was in the room: he was brash, outrageous and had the loudest laugh. His life was characterized by feet lovingly planted in both his native, as well as his adopted, homelands. He wore the red sweater of his favourite hometown soccer team (Salvador’s FAS) but quickly switched whenever it became time to don the colours of the Blue Jays or Raptors.

Francisco’s parents modelled active leadership in the teachers’ union. Ever the educator, his mother once pulled a Canadian aside to quietly explain the intricacies of the foul slang her adored son delighted to use in Spanish. Francisco’s formal education at law school in San Salvador only enhanced a pre-existing street-smart commitment to help the oppressed.

Francisco drew unequalled inspiration from the woman he always called “the love of his life,” Loly, whom he met in San Salvador when she was in her teens. The couple became an inseparable team.

Amidst rising paramilitary violence, a bomb was planted in front of the house of Francisco’s parents in 1980. Message received – Francisco and Loly fled to Mexico where their first son, Giovanni, was born. They worked to build solidarity for their homeland, even travelling to Europe to raise money for the resistance to the regime.

When able to return to their homeland in 1984, Francisco served as a lawyer in the human-rights office of the Catholic Church. In August, 1985, he was “disappeared” by security forces. Even through torture, Francisco’s worst fear was that he would never know his daughter. Loly was pregnant when he was taken, and happily Ana was born a few days after his release.

By November, 1989, El Salvador’s civil war made safety – even for church workers – impossible. With two children and Loly pregnant with their son Manuel, the Rico family fled again. They arrived in snowy Toronto in January, 1990, at the Jesuit Centre for Social Faith and Justice. These refugees, without English, did not ask for help, they wanted to help!

Soon a community of nuns, the Faithful Companions of Jesus, appointed the couple as co-directors of what became three Toronto residences for refugee women and children. Living in one of the houses, the Rico kids shared the daily work of refugee settlement. Giovanni, Ana and Manuel continue Francisco’s work with refugees. His sons became skilled refugee advocates and Ana became a lawyer, advising the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada.

Francisco bolted into national prominence as the first refugee elected president of the Canadian Council for Refugees. (Loly would later follow in this role.) For years, government ministers and bureaucrats both admired and feared his outspoken advocacy, based on his lived experience.

It was never easy for anyone to disagree with Francisco – he could be stubborn in his defence of asylum seekers needing assistance and demanding in his vision to reform Canadian refugee rules. But any serious demeanour immediately melted away when Francisco played Santa Claus at the annual Christmas celebrations for all the residents’ children – but no disguise ever quite fooled his own three grandkids!

Pope Francis says we’re morally obliged to welcome migrants and offer displaced people hospitality. “Right,” commented Cardinal Michael Czerny SJ from Rome. “When they ask: What does that mean? A very good answer is: Look at Francisco!”

Francisco always envisioned the broadest sense of family, ensuring everyone was welcome. It’s likely that he’s now inviting God into a more just and inclusive heaven.

I haven't seen Francisco in probably 15 years but the guy was incredible. I don't know that I've ever met anyone as infectiously passionate about helping others. I worked with him to defeat a pretty awful Liberal immigration bill in in the 1990s. I think it was C-15. They passed the IRPA a year or two later, which unfortunately carried most of the worst parts of the first into law. What a shame to die so young, Canada lost one of it's greatest people.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 10, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Squibbles posted:

Don't worry, there's always YAMS YAMS YAMS YAMS YAMS YAMS YAMS

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pokeyman posted:

It's amazing how much of designing for the web involves doing incredibly trivial, common things in bizarrely complex ways, or, at best, ways that requires 6000 dependencies and then give you "simplicity."

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Another Bill posted:

I haven't seen Francisco in probably 15 years but the guy was incredible. I don't know that I've ever met anyone as infectiously passionate about helping others. I worked with him to defeat a pretty awful Liberal immigration bill in in the 1990s. I think it was C-15. They passed the IRPA a year or two later, which unfortunately carried most of the worst parts of the first into law. What a shame to die so young, Canada lost one of it's greatest people.

Goddamn cancer man.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
"long-term (over the next 3 to 4 years)" is hilarious and an insight into why no one can do anything about climate disaster

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Another Bill posted:

This is a nice story. I was expecting it to turn out that he fled to Canada because he was the head of previous government's secret police or something.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Canada: Actually, it's not all war criminals

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

infernal machines posted:

Canada: Actually Despite the best efforts of the government, it's not all war criminals

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Kenney to change COVID-19 rules, says his own Christmas plan would violate current restrictions

quote:

EDMONTON -

Alberta will relax COVID-19 restrictions next week so more people can gather together for Christmas, Premier Jason Kenney said.

Kenney detailed his own Christmas plans Friday, which he said would not comply if he left current fourth-wave restrictions in place.

"I'll be gathering with three family members, we're all fully vaccinated, come from three households, only four people. But we wouldn't be able to do that based on the current rules," he said at a hospital announcement in Calgary. Kenney didn't detail the changes, but said they would be a "modest, common sense relaxation."

He promised an announcement on Tuesday, when Alberta's current state of emergency is set to expire.

The province had 70 COVID-19 patients in ICU on Wednesday, down from 266 on Sept. 28.

The premier said he wants to see the total number of ICU admissions fall below 173. There were 183 patients in the ICU as of Monday, according to provincial data.
"That number is important, because that allows us to go to 100 per cent of surgical capacity. We no longer have to set aside beds for COVID patients, for example," he said.

Kenney said the province needs to be cautious with the Omicron variant now circulating, but said he wants Albertans to be able to celebrate the holidays.

"I don't want to create a situation where we have millions of Albertans violating the rules, when we're not in a current emergency situation," he said.

"We do expect there will be future waves. There will be a fifth wave at some point."

The premier applauded citizens for following rules that helped to flattened the fourth wave of infections, and said he expects "voluntary compliance" from Albertans on the new plan.

"We're not a police state. Unlike Australia and other places, we are not going to put a cop on every corner to check people's papers," he said.

Kenney and health officials in Alberta have been previously criticized for relaxing restrictions too soon, and the premier apologized in September for moving the province from a pandemic to an endemic response.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/kenney-to-change-covid-19-rules-says-his-own-christmas-plan-would-violate-current-restrictions-1.5702646

Don't want to change my plans, don't want to be found out, may as well change the rules.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 11, 2021

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Syfe posted:

Kenney to change COVID-19 rules, says his own Christmas plan would violate current restrictions

Don't want to change my plans, don't want to be found out, may as well change covid restrictions.

Goes nicely with his new forecast by the feds:
https://twitter.com/ArynToombs/status/1469452381796515843

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I dont know why but I keep thinking Alberta has hit the lowest point it can go and then Kenney finds a new way to dig deeper.

I legitimately hope all the good people left in that province can find a way to get out before it becomes a climate change ravaged wasteland ruled by roving bands of oil executives.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Fortunately/unfortunately climate change doesn't obey provincial borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Argas posted:

Fortunately/unfortunately climate change doesn't obey provincial borders.
Strangely, it would appear as though climate change is leading our local Canada Goose population to respect the border and not head south for the winter.