Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone tell the people in the path of those Ultra Horrornados that a recent study found that the ocean was warming somewhat before the industrial revolution which therefore proves that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A 200 mile probable ef5 storm running in December is totally normal and cool cool cool.

Rip to the grannies and Amazon workers.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Meanwhile, the summer in subtropical Australia has been quite mild so far this year, so is climate change really that bad?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

A Terrible Person posted:

I'm morbidly curious as to how the first world countries are going to handle food shortages and/or outright famine in the information age.

Again, just morbid curiosity.
they'll handle it morbidly for sure

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

starkebn posted:

Meanwhile, the summer in subtropical Australia has been quite mild so far this year, so is climate change really that bad?

I’m waiting for it to flick back to those 37c + high humidity summers of old. Least the rain has stopped any bush fires on the east coast so far…. west coast on the other hand :smith:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Have you considered that it snowed in Denver today so climate change is fake?

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

RC Cola posted:

Have you considered that it snowed in Denver today so climate change is fake?

what?! climate change is fake?!

wrap it up climateailures :smug:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://twitter.com/wlkyjulie/status/1469590546654146569?s=21

https://twitter.com/nashseverewx/status/1469599371096473609?s=21

one of the tornados just killed 50 people, and another just hit Nashville.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
cool overnight mega tornado was not something I’ve heard of before

at least we don’t have to worry about hurricanes/cyclones and tornadoes here in California :twisted:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Xaris posted:

cool overnight mega tornado was not something I’ve heard of before

at least we don’t have to worry about hurricanes/cyclones and tornadoes here in California :twisted:

Any tornado in December is very strange, much less a 4 state killing machine

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/WX_ManMike/status/1469513318180216836?s=20

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

jetz0r posted:

it's going to last the rest of your life

It'll be over soon.

wynott dunn posted:

I admire your optimism

You wait.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Mass casualty event at the candle factory is a phrase that'll stick with me for a few days

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

A Terrible Person posted:

I'm morbidly curious as to how the first world countries are going to handle food shortages and/or outright famine in the information age.

Tens hundreds of thousands running out of food while their internet connections are still paid for, getting called pussies by fascists that haven't been hit yet but also not getting a hell of a lot of sympathy from people who have survived food insecurity in the past. At least in the beginning.

I know a lot of us have been there, going a week or more on nothing except maybe a ramen packet, can of corn, or single-serving bag of ham slices maybe once every few days due to inexperience, bad planning, or outright lack of options.

I don't know. I'm just wondering what happens when a bunch of otherwise comfortable people are confronted with the fact that being "hungry" isn't just skipping breakfast or neglecting to grab a late night snack; when they're confronted by the fact that a single, unseasoned hard-boiled egg is a feast for kings if you don't know when you'll eat again. Especially when they can still tweet or post on Facebook or whatever about it.

Again, just morbid curiosity.

i assume they will just make memes about it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Wind destroys candle factory

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Apparently the mass casualty event was a candle factory being worked on overnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIpcNpngfac

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Wind destroys candle factory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoONtDv9eJg

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
"May" doing a lot of work here

https://www.jpost.com/environment-a...ge-study-688448

quote:

Climate-only scientific models may underestimate scope of biodiversity damage - study

A major concern regarding the wide-ranging impact of climate change is the rapid extinction of countless species of flora and fauna resulting from human activity.

Though the catastrophic effects of climate change on biodiversity are already visible, with ecologists estimating that 15%-37% of plant and animal species will go extinct, current models based solely on climate data may underestimate the full scope of the damage, according to a study by researchers from the University of Arizona, published in the peer-reviewed journal Ecology Letters in October.

The researchers collected data from more than 23,000 piñon pines in the southwestern United States in order to gauge the effects of climate on these trees and found that climate not only affects the species through conditions such as precipitation and temperature but also through its effects on insect populations as well as fire. Changes in these conditions can have significant effects on the trees' ecosystem and, by extension, their overall distribution, but such metrics cannot be monitored with models that only account for the climate.

Rain, for instance, or lack thereof, can have a major impact on the tree population; when there is drought, the trees become vulnerable to insects such as the bark beetle. On the other hand, too much rain causes an excess of vegetation, which provides fuel for wildfires, according to lead study author Reno Emily Schultz, a former postdoctoral researcher at the University of Arizona and currently based at the University of Nevada.

"If we want to make predictions, we have to know what causes species to be in an area in the first place," Schultz said.

In the southwestern US, increasingly hot and dry conditions drive species to higher ground, such as mountains, where conditions are cooler. "At the very top, some species have nowhere left to go," she added.

Climate change also affects organisms on an individual, causing stress and thus making them vulnerable to disease, according to study co-author Margaret Evans, an assistant professor of dendrochronology at the UArizona Laboratory of Tree Ring Research.

For instance, in 2013, sword fern plants died en masse; in 2013 and 2014, sea star populations were devastated by a disease called sea star wasting syndrome; and in 2015, large numbers of saiga antelope died off, according to UArizona.

Evans, et al. predict even more die-offs due to climate change, saying unusual weather patterns will cause widespread disruptions to ecosystems across the globe.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

err posted:

Apparently the mass casualty event was a candle factory being worked on overnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIpcNpngfac

capitalism sucks

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/Elicaldwell/status/1469534122423070721

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Jesus gently caress that’s scary

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvmUsl41eUQ

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, and Arkansas. Longest tornado ever recorded.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Have you heard that the world's largest carbon capture plant just opened in Iceland?

Did you hear that in twenty years the New York pension fund will only make investments into net-zero carbon entities?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
sounds like they need to open a tornado capturing plant too, lol

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Chamale posted:

Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, and Arkansas. Longest tornado ever recorded.

Previous record was the Tri-State in March of 1925, for comparison. :stonk:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Have you heard that the world's largest carbon capture plant just opened in Iceland?

Did you hear that in twenty years the New York pension fund will only make investments into net-zero carbon entities?

:hai:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
How the hell does a tornado cross five states? I want to see this on a map

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
honestly i think it's very cool that i moved to an area notorious for heavy snows and it is 60° F today, the 11th of December

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Warm winter, mild spring, pleasant summer. climate is humming along

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm curious how corn growing season will go with zero jetstream one year

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what is the connection between climate change and these tornadoes? obviously you don't normally see tornadoes in december lol. is it related to the jet stream?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Nonsense posted:

pleasant summer

satan is that you

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

actionjackson posted:

what is the connection between climate change and these tornadoes? obviously you don't normally see tornadoes in december lol. is it related to the jet stream?

There is none shut up

Is gently caress night tornadoes

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
It is currently 19°C in Niagara (Ontario) and will likely go over 20°C. It was -8°C 2 days ago. Lmao

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

Warming oceans change the currents which change wind patterns and strength. Warmed atmosphere also contributes. It's hard to explain succinctly though since everything contributes down to ocean salinity and acidity which are also changing.

Ultra Tornados/Heat Domes/Polar Vortexes are all because of massive/abrupt/unusual disruptions to the jet stream due to the underlying warming that is happening everywhere. The snow in hawaii is because the cold air that should be in the mainland US during December is trapped before it gets here and it becomes abnormally hot and stifled where the jetstream is no longer flowing. This apparently caused super tornados because the abnormally hot mixture during winter can supercharge the hot/cold reactions that form storms.

It's one of those things we are going to struggle with since these smaller isolated events are more Weather Change than Climate Change even though everything is Climate Change. All of our dumbass politicians and most conversations about climate change are hyper fixated on small incremental degree changes and how any isolated environment would fare with +(Temperature) while ignoring global weather patterns experiencing massive disruptions due to 10,000,000 interconnected variables.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Dec 11, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

How the hell does a tornado cross five states? I want to see this on a map

Purple is the area affected by the tornado.

The red line shows the path the center of the storm took.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

sounds like they need to open a tornado capturing plant too, lol

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Warming oceans change the currents which change wind patterns and strength. Warmed atmosphere also contributes. It's hard to explain succinctly though since everything contributes down to ocean salinity and acidity which are also changing.

Ultra Tornados/Heat Domes/Polar Vortexes are all because of massive/abrupt/unusual disruptions to the jet stream due to the underlying warming that is happening everywhere. The snow in hawaii is because the cold air that should be in the mainland US during December is trapped before it gets here and it becomes abnormally hot and stifled where the jetstream is no longer flowing. This apparently caused super tornados because the abnormally hot mixture during winter can supercharge the hot/cold reactions that form storms.

It's one of those things we are going to struggle with since these smaller isolated events are more Weather Change than Climate Change even though everything is Climate Change. All of our dumbass politicians and most conversations about climate change are hyper fixated on small incremental degree changes and how any isolated environment would fare with +(Temperature) while ignoring global weather patterns experiencing massive disruptions due to 10,000,000 interconnected variables.

More than half of all CO2 emissions since 1751 emitted in the last 30 years

Imagining what these storms are going to look like after the warming from a further ten years of GHG emissions from the 2000's starts impacting atmospheric circulatory systems, and it's honestly just kinda sci-fi visions when you scale it out like that. Exponentially compounding effects throwing planetary scale systems entirely out of balance and seeking a new equilibrium, while we continue to shovel the feedstock in which is causing the compounding, is some extremely wild poo poo. Equilibrium seeking is not a gentle process on these scales.

Like, I no longer feel uncomfortable or insane for saying that the world as we knew it is already over, and human civilization is going to end hard within the next ten years. The bullet has already been fired, the bullet is already *in our heads*, the brain just hasn't registered that it is dead yet. We just about collapsed due to a relatively mild pandemic, our systems aren't going to shrug off year-round continent-crawling hypercanes and god knows what else is coming. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rime posted:

More than half of all CO2 emissions since 1751 emitted in the last 30 years

Imagining what these storms are going to look like after the warming from a further ten years of GHG emissions from the 2000's starts impacting atmospheric circulatory systems, and it's honestly just kinda sci-fi visions when you scale it out like that. Exponentially compounding effects throwing planetary scale systems entirely out of balance and seeking a new equilibrium, while we continue to shovel the feedstock in which is causing the compounding, is some extremely wild poo poo. Equilibrium seeking is not a gentle process on these scales.

Like, I no longer feel uncomfortable or insane for saying that the world as we knew it is already over, and human civilization is going to end hard within the next ten years. The bullet has already been fired, the bullet is already *in our heads*, the brain just hasn't registered that it is dead yet. We just about collapsed due to a relatively mild pandemic, our systems aren't going to shrug off year-round continent-crawling hypercanes and god knows what else is coming. :shrug:

insane weather predictions really need to step up the game with the poo poo we've seen recently.

So....uhhh......A Hyper Hurricane that straddles the entire united states while drawing strength from both the pacific and Atlantic oceans simultaneously. I think the first one might be short lived but eventually "Hurricane Season" would mean we turn the country over to the hurricane.