Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Chocobo posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for Endwalker alternatives until they sort out the queue issues? I was looking at meth or synthetic heroin?

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Chocobo posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for Endwalker alternatives until they sort out the queue issues? I was looking at meth or synthetic heroin?

name-post combo...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So I'm not going crazy. I thought some spells got new effects.

Verflare, Verholy, and Scorch all got turned into AoEs and got new effects to go with it

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I got up to 72 with Sage and did a few low level dungeons and a few Holminster Switch runs. I... think I like this class, but I also feel like I have a lot to learn about it.

It essentially having a Dark Arts button is weird to me, but not necessarily clunky (well, I dunno, needing 2 GCDs to put out your basic shield does feel like a little much in a clutch situation). But the few runs I did seem to really, really depend on how much the tank liked cooldowns. There was one tank who just melted in the big first pull in Holminster, while I had another one that rotated cooldowns and it was fine. I guess given how many Instant buttons this class have, you shouldn't really be shying away from using most of them even in mob situations right? Like I blow that 30 sec party-wide damage reduction ability like it's going out of style. But if the tank starts getting low in health, I've found it pretty difficult to get them back into a position where I can start DPSing again (I am too used to WHM just having a "you get one free pass" full health button). Hell, even as Scholar, Emergency Tactics + Adlo healed for some chunky amounts of HP in an absolute clutch; I don't seem to have a clutch heal button for Sage and I find myself needing to stay on top of everything at all times.

But man, the feeling when an enemy does a party-wide attack but you timed your shields and buffs just right where it does almost zero damage... that's the kind of feeling that is going to keep me playing this class.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

So I got up to 72 with Sage and did a few low level dungeons and a few Holminster Switch runs. I... think I like this class, but I also feel like I have a lot to learn about it.

It essentially having a Dark Arts button is weird to me, but not necessarily clunky (well, I dunno, needing 2 GCDs to put out your basic shield does feel like a little much in a clutch situation). But the few runs I did seem to really, really depend on how much the tank liked cooldowns. There was one tank who just melted in the big first pull in Holminster, while I had another one that rotated cooldowns and it was fine. I guess given how many Instant buttons this class have, you shouldn't really be shying away from using most of them even in mob situations right? Like I blow that 30 sec party-wide damage reduction ability like it's going out of style. But if the tank starts getting low in health, I've found it pretty difficult to get them back into a position where I can start DPSing again (I am too used to WHM just having a "you get one free pass" full health button). Hell, even as Scholar, Emergency Tactics + Adlo healed for some chunky amounts of HP in an absolute clutch; I don't seem to have a clutch heal button for Sage and I find myself needing to stay on top of everything at all times.

But man, the feeling when an enemy does a party-wide attack but you timed your shields and buffs just right where it does almost zero damage... that's the kind of feeling that is going to keep me playing this class.

Sage doesn't have as much in the way of instant make HP go up tons but it has so many high power shield options that you can afford to be a little slower because the enemy has to slowly chunk through what you do throw on which means your absurdly powerful HoTs or insta-heals or even your lame-rear end standard heal can do work, and of course any DPSing you do contributes as well.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MechaX posted:

It essentially having a Dark Arts button is weird to me, but not necessarily clunky (well, I dunno, needing 2 GCDs to put out your basic shield does feel like a little much in a clutch situation).

It's not 2 GCDs. Setting up the gate is a mudra style button with a 1 second GCD to follow and since the Eukrasian spells are all instant cast it's actually the same amount of time. Hell depending on how little you're prioritizing Sp. Speed it might be faster. It's just two inputs over one. I guess technically it's 2 GCDs but it's not actually as long as 2 GCDs at all and you have so much OGCD buttons to mash it being essentially 1 second longer GCD isn't really felt at all.

ImpAtom posted:

Sage doesn't have as much in the way of instant make HP go up tons but it has so many high power shield options that you can afford to be a little slower because the enemy has to slowly chunk through what you do throw on which means your absurdly powerful HoTs or insta-heals or even your lame-rear end standard heal can do work, and of course any DPSing you do contributes as well.

It's core class feature and meter is all about spending for 3 short cd OGCDs that make HP go big up what are you talking about? It's got more instant HP go Up than it does shields.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 11, 2021

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
With the release of Endwalker are there easier ways to raise item level than prior to release? I’m stuck in 5.4 as I don’t have high enough item level yet.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MechaX posted:

But the few runs I did seem to really, really depend on how much the tank liked cooldowns.

That's Holminster Switch in a nutshell, yeah. You gain considerably more personal agency as you get up in levels, but Holminster is a loving nightmare to heal without a halfway decent tank.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

With the release of Endwalker are there easier ways to raise item level than prior to release? I’m stuck in 5.4 as I don’t have high enough item level yet.

You can get higher level gear with poetics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not 2 GCDs. Setting up the gate is a mudra style button with a 1 second GCD to follow and since the Eukrasian spells are all instant cast it's actually the same amount of time. Hell depending on how little you're prioritizing Sp. Speed it might be faster. It's just two inputs over one.

It's core class feature and meter is all about spending for 3 short cd OGCDs that make HP go big up what are you talking about? It's got more instant HP go Up than it does shields.

Compared to the other healing classes that is one area where it is probably the weakest. Every other healing class has similar or better options.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Badger of Basra posted:

Verflare, Verholy, and Scorch all got turned into AoEs and got new effects to go with it

on this note it's weird that Verareo and Verthunder got upgraded to level III versions with super fancy effects but Verfire and Verstone still look the same.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Hellioning posted:

You can get higher level gear with poetics.

Do I need to have purchased Endwalker yet or is that in the new patch?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

It's the new patch, just go to the Shadowbringers tomestone vendors.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

No, you should be able to go get augmented cryptlurker gear in Eulmore without the expansion

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SGE feels like SCH in how it goes from "this job sucks" to "this job owns" in the span of a level or two. As soon as you hit 78 and get a HoT on Kerachole, everything becomes vastly easier, and almost all your problems vanish once you get Panhaima.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Gonna need a video of *final cutscene spoilers* The fist fight with Zenos as a Lalafell.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hey, a new thread! Just in time for me to finally get a new update into the Heavensward LP after a tremendously lovely work week! Too bad its one where not much happens! Stuff's gonna happen soon though. Oh yes...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Chocobo posted:

The Blue Reflection anime is, weirdly, very similar both in its emotional themes and the fantasy elements used to explore those themes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Endwalker is good. Not quite as good as Shadowbringers, but that's a ridiculously high bar to clear. I think SHB had a more nuanced and personal storyline, while EW really blasts you with raw emotional scenes. Which, to be fair, is thematically appropriate for EW.

Taken as a whole, FF14's story is superb. The fact that they've managed to take eight years of so many different plot threads, weave them together into a mostly cohesive tapestry, and deliver a satisfying ending, is no small miracle. When the finale was all over, I had a feeling of emptiness for a day or two - I was genuinely sad that it was over.

But there are still plenty of adventures to come, so here's to that.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

How do I make it so I can use the game pad to access my hot bar skills? I had to reinstall and it’s set up for keyboard even though I’ve configured the game pad in the game. I looked in all the systems configurations and couldn’t find it.

And thanks for the poetics tip. Had 2000 poetics that got me to item level 490 from 460.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

Gonna need a video of *final cutscene spoilers* The fist fight with Zenos as a Lalafell.

do I have the timecode for you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
mission to have the good name for the shadowbringers thread successful

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

GLORIOUS! Zenos sells getting punched really well even though Lalafell of Light doesn't even come up to his hips

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Shame Boy posted:

GLORIOUS! Zenos sells getting punched really well even though Lalafell of Light doesn't even come up to his hips

Of course Zenos is going to sell well for the WoL, they're his only friend! We know he wouldn't do the job for anyone else.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

The Shame Boy posted:

He sure does

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Endwalker was quite good

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

How do I make it so I can use the game pad to access my hot bar skills? I had to reinstall and it’s set up for keyboard even though I’ve configured the game pad in the game. I looked in all the systems configurations and couldn’t find it.

And thanks for the poetics tip. Had 2000 poetics that got me to item level 490 from 460.

There’s a place in I think Character Config/preferences which lets you choose mouse vs controller and then importantly enable the crossbar and whxb bar - Im not in game or I’d be more specific but yeah it’s a bit of digging.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not 2 GCDs. Setting up the gate is a mudra style button with a 1 second GCD to follow and since the Eukrasian spells are all instant cast it's actually the same amount of time. Hell depending on how little you're prioritizing Sp. Speed it might be faster. It's just two inputs over one. I guess technically it's 2 GCDs but it's not actually as long as 2 GCDs at all and you have so much OGCD buttons to mash it being essentially 1 second longer GCD isn't really felt at all.
It's actually not even 1 second longer since Eukrasia has a 1s recast and the Eukrasian spells all have 1.5s recasts, meaning that your 2 button presses actually equate to a single regular GCD, timewise.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Insert name here posted:

It's actually not even 1 second longer since Eukrasia has a 1s recast and the Eukrasian spells all have 1.5s recasts, meaning that your 2 button presses actually equate to a single regular GCD, timewise.

In practice it will usually be a bit longer than a normal GCD since it's not lowered by spell speed but it's not that much longer and it's instant so you can shield while moving, which is pretty nice.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Chocobo posted:

SMT V.
Daat is a pretty similar experience to Garlemand in some ways

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

this is gonna sound weird, but I keep hearing the morph ball bomb laying sound from melee or brawl in Scorch's sound effects

is it just me?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I realized that there is in-game "proof" that the Warrior of Light is not a man. If the WoL - silent and stoic as they are known to be - was a man, then it does not make sense for Alphinaud to form a unique "big brother" relationship with Estinien. WoL as a sort of "big sister" figure to the twins just feels like it fits more.

Speaking of Estinien, (not sure why I'm spoiling this, very early non-Endwalker content) I've been leveling up Dragoon and was very surprised to see that Estinien shows up in the ARR Dragoon job quests. I think these might be some of the only quests that directly require the interpretation of "going back in time" to do them - usually you can sort of fit the job quests into any time slot in the story.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Fister Roboto posted:

Endwalker is good. Not quite as good as Shadowbringers, but that's a ridiculously high bar to clear. I think SHB had a more nuanced and personal storyline, while EW really blasts you with raw emotional scenes. Which, to be fair, is thematically appropriate for EW.

Taken as a whole, FF14's story is superb. The fact that they've managed to take eight years of so many different plot threads, weave them together into a mostly cohesive tapestry, and deliver a satisfying ending, is no small miracle. When the finale was all over, I had a feeling of emptiness for a day or two - I was genuinely sad that it was over.

But there are still plenty of adventures to come, so here's to that.

Ah right, I also snapped The Important Screenshot of Endwalker. It's cheesy but it made me do a little fist pump anyways.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

I realized that there is in-game "proof" that the Warrior of Light is not a man. If the WoL - silent and stoic as they are known to be - was a man, then it does not make sense for Alphinaud to form a unique "big brother" relationship with Estinien. WoL as a sort of "big sister" figure to the twins just feels like it fits more.

Speaking of Estinien, (not sure why I'm spoiling this, very early non-Endwalker content) I've been leveling up Dragoon and was very surprised to see that Estinien shows up in the ARR Dragoon job quests. I think these might be some of the only quests that directly require the interpretation of "going back in time" to do them - usually you can sort of fit the job quests into any time slot in the story.

people can have two brothers

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Chocobo posted:

ESO is ok now, worth a month of subscription for the DLC. D&D Online is doing a bulk giveaway of their old quests until the end of the month if you want something oldschool.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood. The "Release List" ability absolutely changes Fishing in incredible ways. I didn't realize this got added in 5.5. Goddamn.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

what

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

sussy

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ytlaya posted:

My WoL is not the twins' elder sibling.

He is their third parent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

people can have two brothers

I was going to agree with you, as I have two brothers myself. However one of them is merely a half-brother :thunk: