Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m 6’1 and that’s exactly how I feel when I’m around some mutant freak whose 6’3

6’3 is the most perfect height to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

goblin week posted:

6’3 is the most perfect height to be.

That should be 6'9

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving bean poles!!

...hey! Listen to me! I am shouting as loud as I can from down here in 5'4" land!!

HEY!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

loving bean poles!!

...hey! Listen to me! I am shouting as loud as I can from down here in 5'4" land!!

HEY!

*points down*

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
So Like many people I’m going through the souls games in prep for Elden Ring. Just finished replaying DS1 last night as a pyromancy build and doing a sorcery build for DS2 since I never* play those. I also haven’t played DS2 before. Is there stuff I should know going in? I think there is something about how you have do boost a certain stat to get actual iframes on the roll?

First thoughts:
I really like the UI. Really good looking skeuomorphic interface.
Character animations feel subtly different from all the Soulsborne animations.
Game looks good and is a pretty nice step up from DS1 on a technical level. Though this is the PS4 SotFS version, so it was basically a cross-gen game and makes sense why it it looks better.

*DS1 pyromancy doesn’t count since it requires no specific stat investments. Every build is better with pyromancy. It’s fun but also trivializes large chunks of the game.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Raise your ADP until you have an AGI of 99, that should be enough to let you roll through attacks comparable to DS1's mid roll

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Pulcinella posted:

I also haven’t played DS2 before. Is there stuff I should know going in? I think there is something about how you have do boost a certain stat to get actual iframes on the roll?

Yes, it's called Agility: https://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Agility

Basically, it's a secondary stat (that you can see on your character sheet), calculated from your ADP (mostly) and ATN (a bit). Being a sorcerer, you will be investing in ATN, meaning that you'll have to invest a bit less in ADP to reach the same benefits. Check the link above, and you'll see how much Agility you need for how many iframes. Rule of thumb is that 99 Agility is a sweet spot in terms of investment/benefits.

Other things to know with DS2:
- striking walls doesn't reveal secret passages, you need to press a button (X I think?) to check them out.
- If you go down the sorcery road, I'd strongly recommend raising INT/FAI in tandem and going all out on magic. You'll get to play with sorceries, miracles, pyromancies, and the hilariously good hexes which scale on the smallest of the two stats. Some staves allow to cast sorceries/miracles/hexes, making for some handy quality of life (pyro will always require its own thing).
- bonfire ascetics are a consumable unique to DS2 which resets the area the bonfire is in, in the next NG cycle, and that includes the boss. This allows you to fight the same boss multiple times, get multiple copies of the soul, get extra souls that only drop from NG+ onwards... It's pretty cool and very very abuseable.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Vintersorg posted:

loving bean poles!!

HEY!

feeble cursed one

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pulcinella posted:

So Like many people I’m going through the souls games in prep for Elden Ring. Just finished replaying DS1 last night as a pyromancy build and doing a sorcery build for DS2 since I never* play those. I also haven’t played DS2 before. Is there stuff I should know going in? I think there is something about how you have do boost a certain stat to get actual iframes on the roll?

First thoughts:
I really like the UI. Really good looking skeuomorphic interface.
Character animations feel subtly different from all the Soulsborne animations.
Game looks good and is a pretty nice step up from DS1 on a technical level. Though this is the PS4 SotFS version, so it was basically a cross-gen game and makes sense why it it looks better.

*DS1 pyromancy doesn’t count since it requires no specific stat investments. Every build is better with pyromancy. It’s fun but also trivializes large chunks of the game.

Did you not play the DS1 remaster? I found it was so much nicer looking than DS2:sotfs.

Also hex's are so loving good so get your int and fth up as mentioned so the dude who teaches actually talks to you. Then have fun! It's a LONG game.

Bust Rodd posted:

feeble cursed one

lol

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Pulcinella posted:

raise adp as others have said. also try not to rush through the levels as you will constantly be getting ambushed by like 6 dudes at once. you will absolutely die a few times to this and yes its bullshit but you get used to it and get better at handling them eventually.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Thanks for the advice y’all.

Vintersorg posted:

Did you not play the DS1 remaster? I found it was so much nicer looking than DS2:sotfs.

Also hex's are so loving good so get your int and fth up as mentioned so the dude who teaches actually talks to you. Then have fun! It's a LONG game.

lol

Yeah it was the remaster. I’m liking the real time me shadows in DS2 and there are more baked, static shadows in general. DS1 had some shadows but only in very few areas with direct sunlight. The torch shadows are cool (though a bit wonky). We’ll see how I feel once the shine of the “new souls game” wears off.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
People overstate ADP. It's perfectly playeable without raising ADP, you just gotta get used to not having as good a dodge roll as in DS1.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
96 AGI is my preferred breakpoint, its just enough to handle anything with decently precise timing.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I'm having an easier time rolling trough attacks in DSII with just 92 agility than I do at DS with fast roll. My overall strategy is to get 92 early, then raise other stats, then later go for 99. If I play a caster, I usually go from 92 to 99 mostly by raising Attunement via a big burst like 16->32 and then the rest in Adaptability.

I find it strange that they made Attunement affect agility. As it is, every 3 points really just costs 2 points since there will be one point of Adaptability you won't need. They could have lowered the Attunement breakpoints instead if they thought things got too expensive for casters.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

MonsieurChoc posted:

People overstate ADP. It's perfectly playeable without raising ADP, you just gotta get used to not having as good a dodge roll as in DS1.

Yeah it's frustrating to get the timing down but it's consistent. I think I've done two playthroughs with raising ADP and they were both within the last year. It's like taking off weighted clothes or some poo poo.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
People who need absolute maximum fast roll are weird to me. Mid-roll works fine almost always.

That said, even outside of i-frames, getting some points in AGL is nice just so my character doesn't savor every. single. drop. of estus.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Vintersorg posted:

It's a LONG game.
It really is. 13h played on current character, level 105, collected half of the required Big Souls, and haven't touched any of the DLC yet.
Best thing about DS2 is that there's so much of it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I named a character PEW PEW PEW and cheated myself 2 Avelyns and a bunch of souls to try powerstancing them at +10. Verdict: Pretty fun, very easy to take down enemies as long as you can remain at range AND on target, but the reloading and recovery is so slow that it doesn't make the game too easy, just relatively easy. I was slightly hoping for something silly and OP that would let me play it like a 3rd person shooter but mainly it just kinda changes the rhythm and style of combat: make distance, then attack, then by the time you recover the enemy/ies have caught up to you so you have to run and make distance to attack again, wash rinse repeat.

Still fun though!

oh yeah it ultra sucks in PVP

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

There was a time when it didn't. It's better this way

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I named a character PEW PEW PEW and cheated myself 2 Avelyns and a bunch of souls to try powerstancing them at +10. Verdict: Pretty fun, very easy to take down enemies as long as you can remain at range AND on target, but the reloading and recovery is so slow that it doesn't make the game too easy, just relatively easy. I was slightly hoping for something silly and OP that would let me play it like a 3rd person shooter but mainly it just kinda changes the rhythm and style of combat: make distance, then attack, then by the time you recover the enemy/ies have caught up to you so you have to run and make distance to attack again, wash rinse repeat.

Still fun though!

Try this mod for DS1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRBTMhG2_00

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I played the entire base game and the DLCs up to Fume Knight without realizing that agility increased roll iframes / estus drinking speed. So yeah, it's entirely doable if a bit unpleasant in parts, but I imagine a lot of the game would have been a breeze with that knowledge.

I can't imagine beating Fumey or Alonne without it though (although I'm sure lots of people have).

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 10, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh wow, I just discovered that when doing the twin pursuers fight you can despawn one of them by running out the door while the other pursuer is in the middle of an attack animation. That turns it into a 1v1, and you can always respawn the other one by resting.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

me in iron keep: haha take that stupid knights i see you hiding ther- OH GOD WHY ARE THERE 4 MORE OF THEM

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Still fun though!

it didn't used to! i remember the different points of the broken DS2 weapons. crystal moonlight greatsword on release, dual havelyns, one handing two greataxes to stunlock people from 100-0, people abusing rolling R1 coming out instantly with vanq seal

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

People who need absolute maximum fast roll are weird to me. Mid-roll works fine almost always.

That said, even outside of i-frames, getting some points in AGL is nice just so my character doesn't savor every. single. drop. of estus.

If I didn't know going in that I could increase my chug rate I would have thrown my disc in the trash day one. Coming in straight off of DS1 remastered, it's intolerable.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Glimpse posted:

If I didn't know going in that I could increase my chug rate I would have thrown my disc in the trash day one. Coming in straight off of DS1 remastered, it's intolerable.

You're weird.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

raditts posted:

I played the entire base game and the DLCs up to Fume Knight without realizing that agility increased roll iframes / estus drinking speed. So yeah, it's entirely doable if a bit unpleasant in parts, but I imagine a lot of the game would have been a breeze with that knowledge.

I can't imagine beating Fumey or Alonne without it though (although I'm sure lots of people have).

Granted I'm probably kinda just dogshit at the fight, but I feel like Fume can also really test your equip burden/roll distance in a way most other fights don't.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

ugh. they really went overboard with amount of knights in iron keep this poo poo sucks.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ASenileAnimal posted:

ugh. they really went overboard with amount of knights in iron keep this poo poo sucks.

I think the number is okay, what sucks is they all aggro from 300 yards away. Like you step in and every single weebknight in the castle looks up from their anime in unison

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Great bow archers in every game. They want you to SUFFER

Orv
May 4, 2011

Concurred posted:

it didn't used to! i remember the different points of the broken DS2 weapons. crystal moonlight greatsword on release, dual havelyns, one handing two greataxes to stunlock people from 100-0, people abusing rolling R1 coming out instantly with vanq seal

I will forever miss release miracles.

I will never miss release hexes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Rip bat fog, too good for this world

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I think the number is okay, what sucks is they all aggro from 300 yards away. Like you step in and every single weebknight in the castle looks up from their anime in unison

That spot, right before the bridge towards smelter demon, with three or four of those assholes coming at you one by one.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Shields, strike damage, greathammers, those things trivialize alonne knights. I of course pick the latter.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Fewer and fewer Iron Keep knights respawning until eventually there were none left was really unbelievably shame inducing, it really felt like the game was making fun of me

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's ds2's shame, not yours

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Fewer and fewer Iron Keep knights respawning until eventually there were none left was really unbelievably shame inducing, it really felt like the game was making fun of me

If it's any comfort I had the same thing with Heide's Tower on my first run because I went through it before the Forest.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
They all despawn when you actually want the black steel katana. Also dang Zero Lenny had some good points about dark souls 2. Powerstancing could have had more unique combos and swing speeds and etc.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Charles Bukowski posted:

They all despawn when you actually want the black steel katana.

If you want to farm souls/drops, you just join the Covenant of Champions and nothing despawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
For gently caress's sake I spend like 10 attempts trying to kill NG+ Burnt Ivory King with a Thorned Greatsword, I come back with a Greatclub and down him in one go. Okay alot of it was re-learning the fight.

But come on, strike damage and the quick 2HR2 punishes are too good.