Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Eh, when I started reading the series, the emphasis on the importance of gender felt new and interesting, but with trans rights such a big topic in my life today, I feel differently about it. One of the problems with writing a series over decades is that the world can move on while you work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Eh, when I started reading the series, the emphasis on the importance of gender felt new and interesting, but with trans rights such a big topic in my life today, I feel differently about it. One of the problems with writing a series over decades is that the world can move on while you work.

So Twitter basically ruined you able to enjoy anything without that lens?

If so, do you feel the same as straight white old people who get upset and yell when there's gay people in shows?

Basically just try and enjoy things instead of getting offending over nothing. The show is cool, the books are great. e: the two main characters in the show are lesbians, is that enough of a checkbox to allow you to watch it or do you need more?

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 11, 2021

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
You suck, dude

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CaptainJuan posted:

You suck, dude

Yeah of course, great discourse. Gonna rewatch the last episode.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Barreft posted:

So Twitter basically ruined you able to enjoy anything without that lens?

If so, do you feel the same as straight white old people who get upset and yell when there's gay people in shows?

Basically just try and enjoy things instead of getting offending over nothing. The show is cool, the books are great. e: the two main characters in the show are lesbians, is that enough of a checkbox to allow you to watch it or do you need more?

It's rather less Twitter and more observing the experience of my genderqueer kid, my friend parenting a transgender kit, a coworker transitioning, and a friend transitioning. I don't have a lot of patience for gender essentialism anymore. A careful reading might also note that at no point did I say "ruined" or even complain that I was offended. I said I feel differently about it than I did decades ago. I can't help but wonder if you actually read what I wrote or just decided that a person who would make a post like mine must be a person you're mad at.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

Barreft posted:

lol

someone can't read a series cause it's "gendered"? Open your mind and just read it baby. By book 2 you see it's all bullshit, that's the whole point Jordan was making.

I'm not online enough so I dunno what "Straight As gently caress" means as a category for books especially since there's a whole bunch of same sex attraction, but like who cares who is horny for who if the story is good?

ahahahaha

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zorak of Michigan posted:

It's rather less Twitter and more observing the experience of my genderqueer kid, my friend parenting a transgender kit, a coworker transitioning, and a friend transitioning. I don't have a lot of patience for gender essentialism anymore. A careful reading might also note that at no point did I say "ruined" or even complain that I was offended. I said I feel differently about it than I did decades ago. I can't help but wonder if you actually read what I wrote or just decided that a person who would make a post like mine must be a person you're mad at.

That's a fair thought (the show looks to be trying to update the books a bit on these sorts of issues, which is great).

That said let's keep WoT discussion in one of the several WoT threads, it's kinda off-topic for the Malazan thread. Thanks!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jaxyon posted:

I've read both WoT and Malazan a bunch of times, and liking one thing doesn't ruin my liking of another.

I'm currently doing a re-read of WoT and I'd say it's good. It's not as amazing as when I was a kid, but that's more about how I've changed than the books being "spoiled" by reading anything else.

They're hard to compare.

I will say that WoT reads way easier than Malazan, but also has more fluff that I will skim over.

One of the biggest flaws of Malazan is the lack of braids tugged.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The only books that Malazan series has ruined for me are Esslemont's and the later Erikson ones.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

coathat posted:

The only books that Malazan series has ruined for me are Esslemont's and the later Erikson ones.

I made it through FoD wasn't really too sure how I felt about it... and then just never read FoL so I guess that answers that. The Bauchelain and Korbal Broach books are good as companion pieces but its kind of hard to want more from the Malazan universe. I think I mean that as a compliment to the series rather than an insult though.

edit: I've read the Esselmont books up to Orb Sceptre Throne and just cannot recommend that anyone read them. It does not enhance the experience at all and for some characters makes it worse.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 11, 2021

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Malazan's a case where I can still enjoy other stories for what they are but I had to come to terms with the fact that they're probably not gonna get similar emotional responses from me and I really need to stop chasing that particular dragon.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've re-read the Esslemont books and I've started putting my thoughts together and may post them in this thread.
They do - by and large - improve on a re-read. That doesn't sound very promising, but the same is said about Erikson's books.

It's just that Erikson's books are better.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My stance is that the ICE books are fine. They're about on par with a lot of the popular fantasy series out there. It's just they're sharing a setting and characters with Erikson and that's a rough comparison for anyone. I don't want to sound like I'm putting Erikson on some pedestal, but I feel like his writing is (usually) substantially better than many of his contemporaries. He does tend to get a little navel-gazey for me at times, but I skim over those parts these days.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
My biggest issue with the Esslemont books is (and this is unfair to him, but I can't help it) the bits that I like I see as 'oh good, some more fleshing out of the world that Erikson made' and the bits I don't are 'this feels like fan fiction', with the ultimate result of both being 'I hope that Erikson himself addresses this in a future book and better.'

I don't think ICE is in any way a bad writer, but (for example) the difference between how Erikson wrote the Seguleh and their portrayal in O/S/T are chalk and cheese and it's difficult not to hold him to a higher standard that he falls short of.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I agree with that. His last book however was very fan fictiony though. Felt like a Dune prequel or the Solo movie where it just went from scene to scene and shouted, "see? This is where that thing came from!" Over and over.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I started a readthrough of the Malazan series a month and a half ago (on a previous attempt many years ago I somehow stopped 75% of the way through House of Chains). Currently just a few chapters into the Bonehunters and really enjoying it so far!

I really enjoyed Midnight Tides a lot, think it was a really cool change of pace from the previous novels and being focused on a "smaller" conflict really helped the story move at quite a fast pace. Might be my favourite so far but so hard to choose.

I decided to read the Esslemont novels alongside in publication order. Night of Knives was... fine I guess. It did feel written in a "this happened and then this happened etc." way but I guess for his first novel it was still fine and I enjoyed the light fleshing out of some stuff.

Really looking forward to seeing what happens in the Bonehunters and beyond :D

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

One of the biggest flaws of Malazan is the lack of braids tugged.

I'm crossing my arms under my breasts at you so hard.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

I'm crossing my arms under my breasts at you so hard.

rolls his shoulders

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

Malazan's a case where I can still enjoy other stories for what they are but I had to come to terms with the fact that they're probably not gonna get similar emotional responses from me and I really need to stop chasing that particular dragon.

That said;

Broke: Malazan is DBZ bullshit
Woke: Malazan is FF14 bullshit

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It's been a few years since I finished the main Malazans and while on finishing I called Reaper's Gale my least favourite, today a bunch of very good things about it have stuck with me (Beak, the Malazans in the back half, most of what occurs inside the city), but DoD and TCG are only vaguely recalled. I remember the well done conclusion but little else. I remember a major part involved high stakes gods/ancient business with a fresh cast of characters that I didn't care for. RG's lows were very low but it really shined on other levels.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

snoremac posted:

It's been a few years since I finished the main Malazans and while on finishing I called Reaper's Gale my least favourite, today a bunch of very good things about it have stuck with me (Beak, the Malazans in the back half, most of what occurs inside the city), but DoD and TCG are only vaguely recalled. I remember the well done conclusion but little else. I remember a major part involved high stakes gods/ancient business with a fresh cast of characters that I didn't care for. RG's lows were very low but it really shined on other levels.

Beak makes me cry. A few other things in the series too. There are a lot of really touching but sad moments.

edit: As far as TCG it does contain the most badass moment in the series (in my mind) when Yedan Derreg balls out and collects the heads of Liosan peasants, elite troops, hounds of light and several dragons... even killing one dragon mid-portal so a dragon corpse has to be moved out of the way before more troops can come through all while his sword is cackling manically.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 15, 2021

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
My memory is so bad. I don't even recall the character's name.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The character mentioned in spoilers is also known as The Shore edit: oops, The Watch... there Shore was his religion., if that rings any bells. It was a pretty epic scene.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 15, 2021

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

The character mentioned in spoilers is also known as The Shore, if that rings any bells. It was a pretty epic scene.

the Watch

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

imagine dungeons posted:

edit: As far as TCG it does contain the most badass moment in the series (in my mind) when Yedan Derreg balls out and collects the heads of Liosan peasants, elite troops, hounds of light and several dragons... even killing one dragon mid-portal so a dragon corpse has to be moved out of the way before more troops can come through all while his sword is cackling manically.

My favorite bit of this is that on the far side of the portal you get a scene where the Liosan on the other side of the portal are telling people that the gate is being held by an army of soldiers all armed with Hust blades, but no. It is just the Watch.

That said, I think my vote for most badass moment in the series goes to Trull Sengar holding back Icarium in Bonehunters.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Re:Recollection

As time has passed, the Snake and their meetup with the Bonehunters has steadily taken up more and more of...I guess the pie chart of "notable things I recall from TCG." There's a lot of stuff I do fondly recall from the book still, but at this point when I think of TCG those scenes are almost always the first that come to mind.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
The most badass moment in the series is easily in Dust of Dreams when the Barghast and Akrynnai get casually genocided by an Elder God entering the world.

A final report, loud as the snapping of a dragon's spine, and then sudden silence.

A sword, bleeding darkness, dripping cold.

Overhead, late afternoon sunlight burned the sky.
A sultry wind swept down the length of the valley, gathering streamers of steam.

He stood for a time, studying the scene on all sides.

'Ah, my love. Forgive me.'

He set out, boots crunching on the dead.

Returned to the world.

Draconus.

Cryptozoology fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 15, 2021

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Sorry, the most badass part is actually in Reaper's Gale when the Shake find the burning Malazan fleet

Eyes on the burning hulks in the sea, she almost snarled her reply.

'We killed their subjects. And clearly they will not let that pass. Errant take the Letherii and the Edur.'

She spun round, making for her horse. The others scrambled after her.

'Strangers, Yedan? Not to me. They followed us.'

She swung herself onto her horse and tugged it towards the north trail.

'We left a debt in blood,' she said, baring her teeth. 'Malazan blood. And it seems they will not let that stand.'

They are here. On this shore.

The Malazans are on our shore.

Cryptozoology fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 15, 2021

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Nope, the most badass part is the beginning of Memories of Ice when a triad of Elder Gods arrive to lay the law down on Kallor and he burns the remnants of his empire to curse them in turn

The man on the throne trembled. His lips drew back in a rictus snarl.

'I shall break you. Each of you. I swear this upon the bones of seven million sacrifices. K'rul, you shall fade from the world, you shall be forgotten. Draconus, what you create shall be turned upon you. And as for you, woman, unhuman hands shall tear your body into pieces, upon a field of battle, yet you shall know no respite - thus, my curse upon you, Sister of Cold Nights.

Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, one voice, has spoken three curses.

Thus.'

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The line most memorably badass to me was when the Errant drops the short tail army in the path of the Bonehunters in, uh, DoD. Fiddler, Quick Ben, Hedge, and the sappers hold back the front lines long enough for the rest of the army to dig in. QB dies, and Fiddler retreats to the trench. The line and image that sticks with me is "The heavies rose to meet them."

BigHead fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 15, 2021

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Pretty much got chills from all those spoilered passages. Time for a third reading I guess.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Actually, the most badass passage is

Endest Silann, this incredibly old, exhausted guy who believes he's no good for anything but ordering take-away, holding on against a god purely because he feels a responsibility for his people and can't bring himself to let them be corrupted. Holding on long enough for Mother Dark to be freed and sort out Bellurdan.

Him desperately raising his shield even as he curls into an ever-tighter ball is heartbreaking. And then, as he dies, he gets what he wants - to hear from Mother Dark again and be told she forgives him.

And then I cry.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Witness

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Karsa telling whatshername "stand back witch" as he prepares to protect the sword from all seven hounds of light.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

hell yes to all of this. Hell yes.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
gently caress it I'm midway through Dune but I'm gonna start Malazan again, 4th time through. Nothing comes close for those big epic moments Erikson is so good at.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

dishwasherlove posted:

Pretty much got chills from all those spoilered passages. Time for a third reading I guess.

Hah, same. So many epic moments. Did my third readthrough last year.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The Malazans have a Ceda.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Speaking of Karsa, how about him discarding his sword and then descending into a tomb to kill a K'Chain Nah'ruk with his bare hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Itkovian