Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Doctor Butts posted:

Everyone sharing this thinks they work harder than everyone else at their office job.

Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nah, it's common amongst the blue collar sorts as well, at least the ones I work with.
Everyone jacks around except our crew. We're the only ones who ever get anything done.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

the_steve posted:

Nah, it's common amongst the blue collar sorts as well, at least the ones I work with.
Everyone jacks around except our crew. We're the only ones who ever get anything done.

Oh I understand that and it's slightly less dumb in that context but a ton of the people who are going to be sharing that have relatively cushy jobs

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So god is the virus

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There's a vaccine for covid, though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Just reminds me that attacking and dethroning God is yet another broken Biden campaign promise.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
It seems my brother-in-law has rediscovered Facebook and left this posted on my wall without any comment. I would think it would be done as a joke but he believes in all of the following, which has made our Thanksgiving dinners an awful ordeal the last few years.

https://www.westonaprice.org/wp-content/uploads/Covid-Oct-11-final.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3QUrhX5yYnd_8465CEeNIIWUtSnI7XSJ9LwG_F0Pos40YBwj2akfkMdnM

I haven't responded, both because I'm at a loss for words and also there is no point arguing with him.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m constantly surprised anyone that has been so thoroughly brain poisoned by social media would actually read that many words. Those people wouldn’t read a book.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m constantly surprised anyone that has been so thoroughly brain poisoned by social media would actually read that many words. Those people wouldn’t read a book.

poo poo makes me want to delete Facebook but I need it for work. Here's a chaser for that shot:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

crime fighting hog posted:

It seems my brother-in-law has rediscovered Facebook and left this posted on my wall without any comment. I would think it would be done as a joke but he believes in all of the following, which has made our Thanksgiving dinners an awful ordeal the last few years.

https://www.westonaprice.org/wp-content/uploads/Covid-Oct-11-final.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3QUrhX5yYnd_8465CEeNIIWUtSnI7XSJ9LwG_F0Pos40YBwj2akfkMdnM

I haven't responded, both because I'm at a loss for words and also there is no point arguing with him.

I love how they think their toys are murdering them but they can't give them up. It's the most American thing ever.

WiFi signals cause radiation sickness which is being misdiagnosed as a viral infection called covid-19, TURN OFF YOUR WIFI IT'S KILLING YOUR BODY LIKE CHERNOBYL but if you're really into Candy Crush then at least don't leave it on at night.

E:
I don't want to get radiation sickness that's why I take my plutonium buttplug out at night

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

It also repeatedly makes claims about studies but provides no citations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

First line is literally “SYNTHETIC RNA (also called mRNA)”

Jesus Christ, read a goddamn biology book.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Axetrain posted:

It also repeatedly makes claims about studies but provides no citations.

My boss does this poo poo, and I just repeat "which study?" until he starts crying and goes back in his office.

The upside is he's stopped coming to me with his bullshit.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I've heard the "2/3 of people in GB who died of the Delta variant were vaccinated" thing before and I'm curious where it came from. It could just be completely made up but usually they're misinterpreting something or skewing data.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've heard the "2/3 of people in GB who died of the Delta variant were vaccinated" thing before and I'm curious where it came from. It could just be completely made up but usually they're misinterpreting something or skewing data.
They're using real data to bamboozle people with Simpsons Paradox. Anti-vaxxers do this every time there's an outbreak.

In some outbreaks more vaccinated people get sick and they yell see three quarters of the measles cases were in vaccinated people but 90+% of the population is vaccinated so if you look at infection rates rather than total numbers unvaccinated people are wayyyy more likely to get sick and die.

In the UK case it is true that most of the deaths from delta are among vaccinated people but it's not because the vaccine kills you or doesn't work. It's because most of the deaths are among old people and old people were prioritized for the vaccine so their vaccination rates are very high. Any individual old person is way more likely to die if they are unvaccinated, but once you've vaccinated almost all the old people then you would expect most of the deaths to be among vaccinated people since they can still die it's just a lot less likely.

Imagine the limiting case: you vaccinate every single old person. Some of them will still die so now 100% of the dead were vaccinated. Does the vaccine kill you? No, those people would still have died if you didn't vaccinate anybody along with millions of extra people whose lives were saved by the vaccine.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

That stat alone isn't useful in being able to tell vaccinations are worth a drat. Because:

* COVID deaths are highly age stratified. People who are over 65 die way way more than people than who are not.
* COVID vaccinations are also highly stratified. People who are over 65 are way more likely to be vaccinated than people under 65.

I'm assuming GB = Great Britain here. So, let's find the rate of vaccination for that kind of an age group. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55274833 seems to have a decent graph. Wow, that's got to be what, a good 90% in that age bracket?

So even if we take the 2/3rds of deaths at face value, you can tell that it still means vaccinating is a better choice than not vaccinating.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think it's from Joe Rogan.
https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-coronavirus-britain-idUSL1N2RP28I

The short version is that vaccination rates are very high in GB, especially among the populations most at risk.

If the vaccine is a placebo, then you'd expect the percentage of people who die from the Delta variant and are vaccinated to be roughly equal to the vaccination rate.

If the vaccine is effective, then you'd expect the percentage of people who die from Delta and are vaccinated to be lower than the vaccination rate.

And if it's harmful, you'd expect it to be higher.

Here's a breakdown of vaccination rates by age group

This chart breaks down the proportion of deaths by age group. Not exactly the same format but clearly we're mostly talking about 65+ when it comes to deaths

So, if the percentage of people who die and are vaccinated is around 66%, and the percentage of people who are vaccinated is around 90% then that means that 90% of people are responsible for 66% of deaths, and the remaining 10% unvaccinated is responsible for the other 33%

I'm not being particularly rigorous with the math here because I don't have the exact data, but I think the conclusion is clear.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
It's all in the vaccine survaillance report. Top link on this page:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccine-weekly-surveillance-reports

Table 11, page 34 breaks cases, hospitalisations & deaths down between age group and vaccination status.

I'd suggest getting vaccinated.

Edit:

DarkHorse posted:

The link you have is to the gallery, if you open the photo you can get the direct link to the picture

I'd do it for you but my Imgur app is being stupid

Mr Darcy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 9, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
The link you have is to the gallery, if you open the photo you can get the direct link to the picture

I'd do it for you but my Imgur app is being stupid

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Thanks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Public health services have a dilemma. They keep trying to explain to people how 3 of something is more than 2 of something, but some people don't get it and think they're very smart for not getting it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1468981212169523211?s=20

From the main politics thread but felt it had to go here too.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Medullah posted:

snip

From the main politics thread but felt it had to go here too.
i tried to turn on captions but all it said was ":WAH:" over and over

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Because the idea to just tell people they needed 3 shots up front when the vaccines rolled out, or to just put all 3 microchips into one dose and tell people only one "jab" was necessary never occurred to the Lizard Overlord Deep State. Bunch of MORANS!!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dentists have a problem, they have to convince the unbrushers that toothbrushing works to get them to brush their teeth but they have to convince yesterdays brushers that toothbrushing doesn't work to get them to brush their teeth again!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Oh no, not my butt!

e: feel bad for the guy whose job is apparently Professional Dick Sniffer

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Love that they had to so blatantly edit the last number there to make it 2022. So this clearly was a prediction for 2021 originally and then they had to shove the date back when it steadfastly failed to manifest, just like all their other "them drat DEMONcrats are comin' for mah freeeeeedoms!" predictions.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh no, not my butt!

e: feel bad for the guy whose job is apparently Professional Dick Sniffer

So, um... how do I apply?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Speaking as a trans woman, this is already the reality (and has been for years) for a lot of us.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I mean, that's basically what going through TSA is, except instead of dropping your pants, they use a machine to just see through them. (And sometimes you still have to drop your pants.)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CellBlock posted:

I mean, that's basically what going through TSA is, except instead of dropping your pants, they use a machine to just see through them. (And sometimes you still have to drop your pants.)

God remember back when backscatter scanners at the airport were this big privacy issue because people thought security guards would be ogling passengers with their body scans and now its just nothing.

Personally I dislike it because I have to explain to the guard why it appears that I am smuggling a baseball bat in my pants but you get used to it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

God remember back when backscatter scanners at the airport were this big privacy issue because people thought security guards would be ogling passengers with their body scans and now its just nothing.

Personally I dislike it because I have to explain to the guard why it appears that I am smuggling a baseball bat in my pants but you get used to it.

I just get asked why I'm smuggling a dried mushroom

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I went through one (not the backscatter x-ray, but not just like a regular metal detector, I don't think) and when I turned back to see the scan, I saw like a yellow box near my junk. The agent saw me look and said "welp, I guess you know what I have to do now".

I like to think it was just Big Dick Energy getting picked up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Medullah posted:

I just get asked why I'm smuggling a dried mushroom

Weird, most skulls are opaque to X-rays.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CellBlock posted:

Unless you pay the $85 "don't molest me in a public airport" extortion charge

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I just piss off the TSA by dad joking like "haha, it's ok: this is the most action I've gotten in months!"

just kidding i never go anywhere

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah only TSA I ever encounter is This Sorry rear end in a top hat :v:

...:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

At least they don't care about drugs