Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm pretty sure I found the exact moment he realizes he's taken nazi methamphetamine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmdLnPGZ0Rc&t=447s

That's so hosed up! I can't stop laughing. He eats ALL OF IT. He even dumps out the crumbs and eats those. I don't think he realizes it at that point because if he realized it was meth at that point, why would he keep eating every last bit of it? And then it goes back to the closeup table view where he's examining the cigarette packet, and his hands are shaking like loving CRAZY. And he doesn't even acknowledge it! He just keeps going! That is fucked. :lmao:

Also he's so chill and calm normally, and after he eats the meth chocolate he still is, but the pauses between words and sentences are way shorter.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Still one of the best moments of the trashfuture stream when they watched that video with Roz and yeah as soon as he gets to the cigs his hands are shaking like a hummingbird wings

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
His hands were shaking even at the beginning of the video, so maybe he got more than one tin.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm not seeing any indication this chocolate came with amphetamines in it anywhere I look. iirc "pervitin" was their primary meth delivery system. one article I found referred to chocolate containing meth as a myth

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/columnists/the-right-chemistry-once-a-weapon-methamphetamine-is-now-a-target

quote:

The popularity of the brand increased dramatically during the war, when the chocolate was provided to Luftwaffe pilots as well as to tank and submarine crews to induce wakefulness and alertness. This led to the myth, repeated in many historical accounts, that the real reason that the chocolates, known colloquially as “Fliegerschokolade,” or “aviator chocolate,” were so prized was that they actually contained amphetamines. They did not. The stimulant effect was due completely to caffeine, with a serving containing about as much caffeine as a strong cup of coffee.

e. the few images I found of meth + chocolate featured Zotter chocolate, which led me here:

https://www.zotter.at/en/about-zotter/press-downloads/statement-on-alleged-panzerschokolade-tank-chocolate

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 10, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

I'm not seeing any indication this chocolate came with amphetamines in it anywhere I look. iirc "pervitin" was their primary meth delivery system. one article I found referred to chocolate containing meth as a myth

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/columnists/the-right-chemistry-once-a-weapon-methamphetamine-is-now-a-target

e. the few images I found of meth + chocolate featured Zotter chocolate, which led me here:

https://www.zotter.at/en/about-zotter/press-downloads/statement-on-alleged-panzerschokolade-tank-chocolate

:ssh: don't let them in on the bit

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I got suspicious when I scrolled back to the start of the video and saw that he was makijg comments about there being “something about it” from the start, and I literally stopped watching because I wanted it to be real so bad. PLEASE don’t take this from me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

the "meth in nazi chocolate rations" comes from the fact that the tank crews called meth "panzer chocolate," even though it was just, meth

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Aww, I could see from the comments it was probably sus, pity, maybe one day we'll find the real nazi meth chocolate were the memories we made along the way

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

okay so like, is he from calgary because his accent is a deadringer for Dan Olsen and if every calgary guy sounds like that I can make a mental note to never visit

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ariong posted:

That's so hosed up! I can't stop laughing. He eats ALL OF IT. He even dumps out the crumbs and eats those. I don't think he realizes it at that point because if he realized it was meth at that point, why would he keep eating every last bit of it? And then it goes back to the closeup table view where he's examining the cigarette packet, and his hands are shaking like loving CRAZY. And he doesn't even acknowledge it! He just keeps going! That is fucked. :lmao:

His first time with meth and ALREADY scraping the bag.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gwen posted:

okay so like, is he from calgary because his accent is a deadringer for Dan Olsen and if every calgary guy sounds like that I can make a mental note to never visit

nope, florida

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdjSQrntrHw

Tempted to buy this book, just so I can finally figure out how Kali Muscle seems to make so much money for a channel whose videos rarely break 100k views.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was going to say he has almost a million instagram followers and you can get caked up from that but he has barely any posts.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
https://youtu.be/7j1lXgrrOmk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm watching Max's Guardians of the Galaxy LP on twitch and this moment would have sold me if I hadn't been sold by the first video. the game has a streamer mode that disables copyrighted music, but someone suggested max just play covers whenever DMCA-triggering songs would kick in, and, well

it's loving incredible (youtube version)

it's a god damned shame that this game's marketing was disastrously terrible. luckily word of mouth seems to be getting it the accolades it deserves, it's loving fantastic even if it's slightly buggy. probably one of the best comic book video games ever made, and far better than the GOTG movies.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Running Shine did a video on Ocarina of Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3zgEimWyxE

I've got respect that his positive videos are as consistently hilarious as the yiik one.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/Newposter2/status/1469356863997231114/photo/1

:silent:

Endorph posted:

https://medium.com/mammon-machine-zeal/against-representation-97bc44b4d609

this is a really good (and short) article that basically summarizes my feelings

Potentially related:
https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/1468636465357672451

Acerbatus posted:

Running Shine did a video on Ocarina of Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3zgEimWyxE

I've got respect that his positive videos are as consistently hilarious as the yiik one.

It's good to see Running Shine is still making stuff. His videos on Tony Hawk Underground and Sonic 1 are really good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the isabell fall stuff is very funny because you can still find peopel on this very forum going 'well, the title WAS bad...'

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Very cool that a trans woman was harassed into detransitioning because she committed the horrible of using an ironic title.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not gonna link it cause its just some rando but there was some thread where some lady went 'none of us knew shed tied her validation to the story!' and like jesus

and honestly im gonna make the hot take that the story and title would have been fine even if the author was a cis dude.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Love all of them spontaneously forgetting how twitter mobs work so they can claim that they personally did not harassing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This wasn't so bad, actually. A little more glib than I would've liked, but it comes down on the right side of the issue.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Yo, new version of One Piece rap just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j1lXgrrOmk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JordanKai posted:

This wasn't so bad, actually. A little more glib than I would've liked, but it comes down on the right side of the issue.
The complete dismissal of any conversation about Japanese games is a bit weird but I'm not expecting Yahtzee to get into the conversation there. Though saying anime characters 'look white' is always a little suspect.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Endorph posted:

im not gonna link it cause its just some rando but there was some thread where some lady went 'none of us knew shed tied her validation to the story!' and like jesus

and honestly im gonna make the hot take that the story and title would have been fine even if the author was a cis dude.
One of my friends made a short story of the whole thing https://bloodknife.com/i-sexually-identify-as-the-i-sexually-identify-as-an-attack-helicopter-controversy/ which I know Sophie Mars cited recently for a patreon post that was kind of a mindfuck. It's a really good piece imo and yeah the thread sucked that day with that rando

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Endorph posted:

The complete dismissal of any conversation about Japanese games is a bit weird but I'm not expecting Yahtzee to get into the conversation there. Though saying anime characters 'look white' is always a little suspect.

I think he is saying that its an unclear subject not just because of the way anime is drawn, but because "A game like Persona 5 technically counts as diverse for us, but not for Japan itself."
Not the prettiest answer I know.
And I cant recall all of the games he reviewed for those years, so I wouldn't know if he missed anything that came from Japan.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 11, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DncbhIOJrb8

You have to appreciate the dedication UpIsNotJump goes to for a joke.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DeafNote posted:

I think he is saying that its an unclear subject not just because of the way anime is drawn, but because "A game like Persona 5 technically counts as diverse for us, but not for Japan itself."

sounded sensible to me - he's considering "diversity" not just along race/gender lines, but also on power dynamics relative to the culture of its creators. specifically for persona 5, ann would probably qualify under those standards, but then you run into headaches with how to evaluate ensemble casts (to say nothing of how racial angst was already done much better by lisa silverman, but no one could ever accuse persona 5 of being too daring with social issues)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A game about rebellion where your main antagonist is a guy running for office instead of the sitting government for some reason.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Tragic that we'll never get more incisive writing from the team that brought us "Yeah, the dystopia themes in Cowboy Bebop were a real downer so we decided to cut them." and "Well it wasn't all the cops who were bad, just the one bad apple!"

DeafNote posted:

And I cant recall all of the games he reviewed for those years, so I wouldn't know if he missed anything that came from Japan.

IIRC from watching his things years ago, he mostly avoids JRPGs specifically because he doesn't like most of tropes or stock characters that crop up. However, he did like the character writing enough in Persona 5 to play it all the way through. Looking at the video.... declaring the kids on Persona 5 are "white" is a bit off-base when they are explicitly Japanese high schoolers and one is canonically mixed race.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

macabresca posted:

Yo, new version of One Piece rap just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j1lXgrrOmk

:allears: :discourse:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Oxxidation posted:

sounded sensible to me - he's considering "diversity" not just along race/gender lines, but also on power dynamics relative to the culture of its creators. specifically for persona 5, ann would probably qualify under those standards, but then you run into headaches with how to evaluate ensemble casts (to say nothing of how racial angst was already done much better by lisa silverman, but no one could ever accuse persona 5 of being too daring with social issues)

Yeah I'll leave the diversity talk on the table because it's really not my place to speak on it at all, but P5 is really muddled when it comes to how it deals with addressing social and societal issues. The game pretty sharply calls out a lot of problems with modern day Japan (and yes, a lot of this resonates within the USA as well): a hopelessly corrupt and insular justice system, a corrupt and insular government to go along with it, an apathetic populace that isn't really interested in addressing said government either via the ballot box or direct action, a culture that levies unrealistic expectations and requirements of conformity on the youth that - if somebody fails to meet and/or openly challenges - are isolated from their peers and openly disdained by adults, even people like teachers who ostensibly should be acting as guardians and stewards for their students. All of this is openly addressed as wrong, and the Phantom Thieves fight to right those wrongs, first on an individual level and eventual for all society.

...Except then in the end the message suddenly does a 180 and becomes "actually directly challenging all of that is not only wrong but selfish, because the few should not impose their will on the many no matter the reason. Let's instead place our faith in the few good apples like Sae and Yoshida to maintain a clear sense of justice and change the system from within." Hell one of your party members: after playing direct witness to and fighting against the worst aspects of the Japanese police system, decides that her dream in life is to become a cop. :psyduck:

P5S had the same problem of everything just reverting to the status quo after all's said and done, but at least it introduced Zenkichi as an example of how (minor spoiler) even somebody who enters a corrupt system with the best intentions and highest moral standards can eventually become beaten down, coerced, manipulated, and eventually corrupted into perpetuating that system.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

A game about rebellion where your main antagonist is a guy running for office instead of the sitting government for some reason.

He was a former cabinet minister and assemblyman, even if he’s not literally in the government at that moment he’s the embodiment of government corruption and disillusionment. He’s basically Hillary Clinton with a chaos god who can warp reality to his will

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Tragic that we'll never get more incisive writing from the team that brought us "Yeah, the dystopia themes in Cowboy Bebop were a real downer so we decided to cut them." and "Well it wasn't all the cops who were bad, just the one bad apple!"

IIRC from watching his things years ago, he mostly avoids JRPGs specifically because he doesn't like most of tropes or stock characters that crop up. However, he did like the character writing enough in Persona 5 to play it all the way through. Looking at the video.... declaring the kids on Persona 5 are "white" is a bit off-base when they are explicitly Japanese high schoolers and one is canonically mixed race.

He doesn't say they are white, he says that a Japanese game with Japanese characters is effectively portraying their version of white, because Japanese folks are the majority population.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Someday they'll make the teens with superpowers game that ends with top liberals being publicly executed while crowds cheer from viewing stands. Until then internet edgelords will just have to keep jacking it to lithographs of the French Revolution with democrat headshots pasted over the faces. That's praxis, baby.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

achillesforever6 posted:

One of my friends made a short story of the whole thing https://bloodknife.com/i-sexually-identify-as-the-i-sexually-identify-as-an-attack-helicopter-controversy/ which I know Sophie Mars cited recently for a patreon post that was kind of a mindfuck. It's a really good piece imo and yeah the thread sucked that day with that rando

What thread was it

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Randallteal posted:

Someday they'll make the teens with superpowers game that ends with top liberals being publicly executed while crowds cheer from viewing stands. Until then internet edgelords will just have to keep jacking it to lithographs of the French Revolution with democrat headshots pasted over the faces. That's praxis, baby.
Tyranny's already out and pretty dang good. Too bad it made no money.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Famethrowa posted:

He doesn't say they are white, he says that a Japanese game with Japanese characters is effectively portraying their version of white, because Japanese folks are the majority population.

I understand Yahtzee was going for more of a "main characters are stand-ins representing the 'majority culture'" there but it's an awkward shorthand. Then again, a more appropriately descriptive shorthand is pretty much impossible without it turning into a garbled string of words like I just did. :shrug:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

Though saying anime characters 'look white' is always a little suspect.

I feel like people saying that always picture people complaining that japanese characters don't look like WW2 propaganda cartoons, but idk I'm mixed asian and white and I definitely look different than fully white people. :shrug:

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't think he actually finished it.

DeafNote posted:

He counted ghost of tsushima as diverse because it was made in the west where japanese aren't the predominant ethnic group, but not persona 5 because it's japanese and thus comes from a place where japanese are the predominant ethnic group. That checks out to me, though I dont entirely agree with his 'other' categorizations entirely.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Tyranny's already out and pretty dang good. Too bad it made no money.

I love tyranny even if it's blatantly unfinished, but the rebel routes are totally the least interesting content in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nuns with Guns posted:

One thing I did find weird is that as far as I can tell everyone who did make that (fairly valid) argument about the political commentary being cut didn't really mention Dog Star Swing, where the cops cap a surrendering guy in the head solely so they don't have to pay out the bounty to the protagonists who just talked him out of suicide. And his motivation had been to kidnap and murder the pets of a bunch of 1%ers (specifically because they'd prioritised saving their pets over other people, including his family), only to not be able to being himself to kill a bunch of innocent animals. Granted it's only one episode, but I'm kind of surprised I didn't see it mentioned all that much.