Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

lol the netflix bebop got cancelled after one month

I am willing to be an anime consultant to Netflix for a measley 5 mil a year to let them know ahead of time if an adaptation is going to be decent or not. A bargain for them imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Super Crooks is really good yet nobody talks about it. Netflix should keep producing stuff like that and never try to "adapt" animation to live action ever again.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Super Crooks is really good yet nobody talks about it. Netflix should keep producing stuff like that and never try to "adapt" animation to live action ever again.

I posted about it earlier and it was enjoyable.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Terminal autist posted:

The best part about chainsaw man is that it actually ends and in a world where you have stuff that runs 5+ and just turns into poo poo thats a big plus. Very good art as well gives me Miura vibes, a lot of wide panel stark scenes

it didn't actually end. the second part starts in 2022. which is bizarre because i thought that the final bit tied up everything with no need to continue but here we are

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Denji has yet to punch his V Card, which is the biggest loose end from Chainsaw Man.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ending it there would have been perfectly fine, but i'm not gonna turn down single dad denji. what sort of sick gently caress would?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Honest Thief posted:

lol the netflix bebop got cancelled after one month

lol I think this means that the Edward scene is canonically the ending to the Netflix version. lmao

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
I feel bad for the actor who played Ed, that's gotta smart

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Super Crooks rules and is so much better than The Great Pretender it's not even funny

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Serf posted:

it didn't actually end. the second part starts in 2022. which is bizarre because i thought that the final bit tied up everything with no need to continue but here we are
i want to see kishibe go sick nasty with the 3 devils he's contracted with

then be devastated by his death

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bro Dad posted:

Super Crooks rules and is so much better than The Great Pretender it's not even funny

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the aesthetics and animation were great, but the actual writing of great pretender was super weak.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
In my headcannon chainsaw man is over and I refuse to believe otherwise. At the very least the anime will have a clean season ending or however they split it up.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the aesthetics and animation were great, but the actual writing of great pretender was super weak.

It thad more heist movie big plan vibes which I liked compared to Super Crooks.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i want another akudama drive

not like a sequel, just more shows like that

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Doc Hawkins posted:

i want another akudama drive

not like a sequel, just more shows like that

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
are you all watching Ranking of Kings? It loving slaps

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I don’t watch any pro-monarchy anime, this is the leftist anime thread sorry

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

You should watch it, it's about a nice little guy who overcomes adversity with his pal against all odds. Also (actual spoiler here) a necromancy witch mirror lady?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

skipmyseashells posted:

I don’t watch any pro-monarchy anime, this is the leftist anime thread sorry

it's very good and the kings are mostly stupid dipshit weirdos

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Yeah same and it just got worse as it went along, whereas super crooks only got better

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Gripweed posted:

I'm not caught up on Chainsaw Man but my take on it is that it gets you in with the promise of hyper violence, which it has in spades and is very good. But the actual heart of the story is about these people who know that they are going to die soon, and the conflict between wanting to stay apart from others so it doesn't hurt as much when they lose people and wanting to make connections with people because that's the only thing that makes life worth living and it's the only thing they can leave behind when they die

A lot of shows built around an association of demon hunters usually have this whole “you gotta be crazy to work here!” vibe to them. Chainsaw Man said okay, but what if they actually are all broken people. Let’s explore what that might actually mean and what people in that situation might actually be like. No one is weird and wacky for the sake of being weird and wacky

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i don’t know where blue period is going but i hope it ends with something slightly more interesting than Tokyo art university- the characters are all interesting

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

wolfs posted:

i don’t know where blue period is going but i hope it ends with something slightly more interesting than Tokyo art university- the characters are all interesting

When you realize it's a sports anime the show makes a lot more sense.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

my favorite sports anime is still Yakitate Japan where the sport is bread

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

frick off with this "food wars" garbage!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i tried watching yuri on ice cause I thought the romance stuff would carry it. but it turns out that no matter what I cannot make myself care about ice skating

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Doc Hawkins posted:

frick off with this "food wars" garbage!

food wars owns

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

why’s the devil got a baby now

https://twitter.com/myanimelist/status/1470006006088409095?s=21

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Casey Finnigan posted:

i tried watching yuri on ice cause I thought the romance stuff would carry it. but it turns out that no matter what I cannot make myself care about ice skating

it was a nice looking show from what I watched of it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

food wars owns

Except for the last season. Absolute waste. Anyone enjoying the show should just completely skip it because they’re not missing out on anything at all

e: Yuri on Ice owned, though. I also don’t give a poo poo about figure skating but the show did get me really invested in it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Food Wars kinda hosed up by making the standard threat of food challenges be expulsion. You know that the characters aren't actually going to be expelled so there's no tension. And since it would be dumb if they won every challenge, a lot of them ends with some dumb contrivance that stops the judges from declaring them the outright loser. All the best sports anime have the hero/team lose a big game early on, it makes it more heroic when they come back and win later.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

Except for the last season. Absolute waste. Anyone enjoying the show should just completely skip it because they’re not missing out on anything at all

this is also true of Yakitate Japan :tinfoil:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ranking of kings is hella good

I burned out on Hajime No Ippo after he won the title and the next season starts focusing on everyone around him a lot more. should I keep going? I don’t care about his rematch with his first rival

im hate watching jobless reincarnation and why are isekais so universally beholden to “the main character belongs in jail for being a creep and now he must manipulate everyone around him like a narcissistic or sociopathic weirdo, please empathize” — there’s a little subversion going on on this topic but .. not much

gimme an isekai where the main character directly confronts what manipulative creeps they really are

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

a cyberpunk goose posted:

im hate watching jobless reincarnation and why are isekais so universally beholden to “the main character belongs in jail for being a creep and now he must manipulate everyone around him like a narcissistic or sociopathic weirdo, please empathize” — there’s a little subversion going on on this topic but .. not much

gimme an isekai where the main character directly confronts what manipulative creeps they really are

Jobless Reincarnation is kind of interesting because it was one of the early isekai but was self-aware enough to be critical of its own protagonist being a creepy fuckup. Something that so many copycats that followed completely failed to understand. It doesn’t make his behavior any less creepy, though, and even though it’s an absolute masterclass production of a show, I can’t really recommend it to anyone. “Yeah the protagonist is a shut-in loser who gets reincarnated as a baby in a fantasy world and sure the first few episodes include him taking advantage of being an infant to fondle titties, but it gets better I swear!”

I do appreciate that it does actually have moments of reflection where he realizes how much of a hosed up creep he is and it sets up his terrible personality to slowly chip away at making him a better person, but drat is it a hard watch at times

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 11:23 on Dec 13, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
only room for one anime about food wars in my heart and it stars a brave young hero named fried ricer

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

a cyberpunk goose posted:

ranking of kings is hella good

I burned out on Hajime No Ippo after he won the title and the next season starts focusing on everyone around him a lot more. should I keep going? I don’t care about his rematch with his first rival

I mean I'd say so. takemuras fights are the highlights of the series for me. but if it wasnt for you, its not for you.

also he literally has never had that rematch in the 30 years of the manga

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah I'd vote stick with Ippo because Takemura's fights rule and Aoki gets a legit funny loving bout that is worth it and all the slice of life material is good too

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
sonny boy seems an interesting show, really dug the first ep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

sonny boy seems an interesting show, really dug the first ep

It rocks hard op. Don't try and figure it out just watch and enjoy the ride.