Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Meanwhile other power metal dad band Iced Earth has their lead singer in deep poo poo for being part of the storming of the Capitol

So it could be worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I cooled on them for a while, partially because of not being super into the WW2 pro-Germany songs, but I think they've made it clear they're on the weird metal dad who will punch a nazi side, not the weird metal dad who will kiss a nazi on the lips side.

The Lone Badger posted:

This is useful to know. Spotify keeps throwing Sabaton at me and I'd been casting side-glances and skipping them after hearing some of the songs.

Trust me, as someone who is Jewish, it's a really awkward feeling at first. That said considering Paradox sells their music as DLC (and it's awesome in map games), I always figured they probably weren't bad, but I couldn't find much beyond they played in Israel. lol

But yeah I get the impression they're History Nerd Dads who just want to sing about Stalingrad as opposed to say whatever horror movie Kerry King was watching, before a writing session. It's just some of them have a kind of neutral observer commenting on what's occurring, so I can see how some stuff might come off like an endorsement.

That said I think they should do a comedy influenced History metal album based on the Russian Navy in the Russo Japanese War. Swedish dude screaming about diseased animals biting be people would be pretty good. lol

MikeCrotch posted:

Meanwhile other power metal dad band Iced Earth has their lead singer in deep poo poo for being part of the storming of the Capitol

So it could be worse
Guess you could say...he's going to be on ice for awhile. :dadjoke:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I'm currently playing through Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous and there's this event in that happens to the protagonist's army that got me curious about how early modern-ish fantasy militaries and societies would approach anti-air given their technological means and limitations. In other words, most ranged fire is delivered by archers/crossbowmen with a smattering of spellcasters and firearms at the setting's point and time are not available in enough of a quantity to make a difference.

For context, the protagonist is given command of a small army and is given orders to retake a fallen fortress that is currently occupied by Demons and their cultist collaborators. Along the way, the encampment is attacked in the dead of night by the setting's gargoyles who kill and captured a portion of the protagonist's army (including various important officers, party members, and the chief medical/religious chaplain). There's also another incident so far in my first playthrough where besides the local airborne demons and gargoyles there's a hungry dragon roaming around picking off scouts and harassing the protagonist's party.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Guess you could say...he's going to be on ice for awhile. :dadjoke:

Not really, he flipped for the feds, presumably for a reduced sentence, so it is more likely that he will get iced.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Valtonen posted:

-Heroic last stand against the said waffel-SS.

Such a syrupy scene.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Such a syrupy scene.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish_Legion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walloon_Legion

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/Lookingatcars/status/1469619775097778181

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it would have worked better if the film leaned into Wardaddy being pretty much completely insane by that point. Parking your tank to sacrifice everyone on a crossing in April 1945 is objectively loving nuts, but the film immediately shifts gears to portray it like it’s a heroic war-winning last stand.

Yeah, having the whole movie be from Wardaddy’s perspective starting with him rolling ashore in Algeria in an M3 as the FNG to fight Vichy troops and gradually losing his squad or being moved around until he’s the commander in 45 and is totally burned out.

Have there been any WWII movies where US troops fight Vichy or Italians? There must be but I haven’t seen a ton. Or any that have substantial scenes of 1940s French troops fighting? Dunkirk had a few French guys but like only one scene.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 12, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, having the whole movie be from Wardaddy’s perspective starting with him rolling ashore in Algeria in an M3 as the FNG to fight Vichy troops and gradually losing his squad or being moved around until he’s the commander in 45 and is totally burned out.

Have there been any WWII movies where US troops fight Vichy or Italians? There must be but I haven’t seen a ton. Or any that have substantial scenes of 1940s French troops fighting? Dunkirk had a few French guys but like only one scene.

The Big Red One has the 1st Infantry Division fighting French forces in North Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-CL6uyU7zo

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

PeterCat posted:

The Big Red One has the 1st Infantry Division fighting French forces in North Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-CL6uyU7zo

I enjoyed The Big Red One, though in general I like hazy '70s movies. Fuller and Lee Marvin were both combat veterans, and I think the way they portrayed the war as a cruel, mystifying experience is more "real" than anything involving rivet-counting.

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it would have worked better if the film leaned into Wardaddy being pretty much completely insane by that point. Parking your tank to sacrifice everyone on a crossing in April 1945 is objectively loving nuts, but the film immediately shifts gears to portray it like it’s a heroic war-winning last stand.

Alchenar posted:

The thing about Fury as a war film is that structurally it's basically identical to Saving Private Ryan and has nothing to say that that film already said.

The difference between Fury and Saving Private Ryan is how they portray the soldier's motivations. Where you had Tom Hanks and co. sacrificing themselves for the good of middle America, the tankers in Fury sacrifice themselves because they have nothing better to do. They're not motivated by the prospect of ending the war, or by anything at all. It doesn't make a difference to them because they've been mentally exhausted by the war, even before they get physically exhausted by actually dying.

The film attempts to portray this destruction of human spirit as the ultimate sacrifice, but I don't find the angle as a whole to be very convincing. Comes across as somebody really trying to make an anti-war film without really understanding what a collective struggle is like.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Where you had Tom Hanks and co. sacrificing themselves for the good of middle America,

Ummm

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Danann posted:

I'm currently playing through Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous and there's this event in that happens to the protagonist's army that got me curious about how early modern-ish fantasy militaries and societies would approach anti-air given their technological means and limitations. In other words, most ranged fire is delivered by archers/crossbowmen with a smattering of spellcasters and firearms at the setting's point and time are not available in enough of a quantity to make a difference.

For context, the protagonist is given command of a small army and is given orders to retake a fallen fortress that is currently occupied by Demons and their cultist collaborators. Along the way, the encampment is attacked in the dead of night by the setting's gargoyles who kill and captured a portion of the protagonist's army (including various important officers, party members, and the chief medical/religious chaplain). There's also another incident so far in my first playthrough where besides the local airborne demons and gargoyles there's a hungry dragon roaming around picking off scouts and harassing the protagonist's party.

For your anti-dragon needs I'd expect you'd have light field artillery, something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybolos

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Danann posted:

that's not military history, make a new thread for it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

MrYenko posted:

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa.

Miloshe posted:

Korean War mortar platoon commander:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colder_Than_Hell

I'll just quote the whole wiki: "Colder than Hell: A Marine Rifle Company at Chosin Reservoir (1996) is a Korean War memoir by U.S. Marine second lieutenant Joseph R. Owen about the Battle of Chosin Reservoir (1950).[1][2][3][4] Owen commanded the mortar platoon for Baker Company, 1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division. Owen would receive a Silver Star for events described on 27 November 1950.[5] It includes the actions for which Archie Van Winkle and Ray Davis received the Medal of Honor, and the exploits of Kurt Chew-Een Lee the first Marine officer of Asian descent.[6]"

I don't know if I'd suggest Siegfried Knappe's "Soldat" but he was a WWII German artillery officer during the invasion of France and the USSR, later turned staff officer and finished the war literally in the Fuhrer Bunker.

:tipshat:

thanks, i'll check those out

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

would watch

speaking of different kinds of milhist media, does anyone know about memoirs written by mortar or artillery soldiers?

Guns against the Reich by Petr Mikhn.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
When talking about comically inaccurate propaganda movies and no one has mentioned The Patriot?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Foxtrot_13 posted:

When talking about comically inaccurate propaganda movies and no one has mentioned The Patriot?
it doesn’t have very good tank scenes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Who would win: a Jagdtiger TD department from 1944, a modern US carrier group, Trelliard's cavalry division at Austerlitz, Titus Pullo, a hero of the thirteenth legion, or Mel Gibson with a well-supplied satchel of throwing axes?

We all know the answer.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm putting my money on Titvs Pvllo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ChubbyChecker posted:

would watch

speaking of different kinds of milhist media, does anyone know about memoirs written by mortar or artillery soldiers?

Spike Milligan was artillery, so there's his war memoirs. Probably a bit more about jazz trumpet than guns though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Slagging of his CO, getting lost, getting PTSD but the nitty gritty warman stuff is not really covered because I suspect he was busy trying to not think about it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm putting my money on Titvs Pvllo.

Was he the guy who who got called out of retirement on his villa, crushed his usurpers, purged all opposition and restored the senate and then drank himself to death less than a year later?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Memento posted:

Was he the guy who who got called out of retirement on his villa, crushed his usurpers, purged all opposition and restored the senate and then drank himself to death less than a year later?

I wanna party with that guy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Memento posted:

No it's from some anime

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

When I first learned about Aurelian's reign, I was pretty young so I figured short reign= bad (which I guess is kinda true). Then I learned about Aurelian, dude comes, gently caress stomps around Europe and the Middle East kicking rear end left right and center, and then dies in four years in a really dumb way. History is whacky af sometimes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Festivus Miracle posted:

When I first learned about Aurelian's reign, I was pretty young so I figured short reign= bad (which I guess is kinda true). Then I learned about Aurelian, dude comes, gently caress stomps around Europe and the Middle East kicking rear end left right and center, and then dies in four years in a really dumb way. History is whacky af sometimes.

Being assassinated by your soldiers is a pretty typical way to go.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

standard.deviant posted:

it doesn’t have very good tank scenes

If you think about it, how tanks were portrayed was the single most accurate part of The Patriot.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Who would win: a Jagdtiger TD department from 1944, a modern US carrier group, Trelliard's cavalry division at Austerlitz, Titus Pullo, a hero of the thirteenth legion, or Mel Gibson with a well-supplied satchel of throwing axes?

We all know the answer.

The only winning move is not to play. Jagdtiger wins. It broke down in a ditch before it got to the battlefield.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

sullat posted:

Being assassinated by your soldiers is a pretty typical way to go.

Should have kept the salt flowing.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Happened to be doing a street view of Belgrade and saw Fury advertised on a billboard.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
All this talk about bad tank films and no mention of Tank Girl?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nenonen posted:

Tank Girl is both medically accurate and rules

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nenonen posted:

Complete list of movies I have walked out of:

Tank Girl

Spawn

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Tank Girl is the most accurate and realistic movie depicting tank combat in Australia.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I mean Alexander wasn't around terribly long and conquered, like, all the places, and altered the entire culture of the eastern Med (and beyond) for centuries to come.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

Spike Milligan was artillery, so there's his war memoirs. Probably a bit more about jazz trumpet than guns though.

Also for his first book of memoirs, they didnt have any ammunition yet iirc. Not so much proper artillery chat as drilling by pulling the lanyard or w/e on an ancient coastal gun and shouting 'BANG'.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ChubbyChecker posted:

would watch

I haven't read this biography, but he served in anti-aircraft artillery during WW2 so it's probably right up your alley.

https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Finland-His-Life-Times/dp/031209325X

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

would watch

Bit of a left field option and it's definitely not written from a serious historical perspective but the first four books of British comedian Spike Milligan's memoirs cover his time in the Royal Artillery in WW2. Basically covers call-up, training in the UK and service in North Africa and Italy before having being wounded at Monte Cassino and having a mental breakdown.

They're mostly pretty funny books but also some of the humour really hasn't aged well, and it's written as a mix of anecdotes, diary entries and sketches like fictional telegram exchanges between senior nazis so like I say definitely not a serious historical account.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We all know the answer.

cavalry has successfully defeated ships but not vice versa so my money's on the mad lad Trelliard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tulip posted:

I've never heard of that first one so I don't know where 'best' here is on the irony-sincerity spectrum. Kelly's Heroes is my dad's favorite movie and Oddball is incredible. "A hero is a funny kind of sandwich" is one I use with some frequency.

We (Instructors) would show clips from Kelly's Heroes when I taught at USMC Tank School and Amphibious Assault School. It may have been Army, but eccentric armor crewmen were a vital part of our culture which needed to be passed along to future generations.

Movie in 1984: "Iraq just invaded Kuwait!"

Knowing audience: Those idiot writers, that would never happen.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

But yeah I get the impression they're History Nerd Dads who just want to sing about Stalingrad as opposed to say whatever horror movie Kerry King was watching, before a writing session.

May I suggest 1914?

WWI themed death metal from Ukraine.