Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Nm what's övertäckas with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Övertäckas Tuesday is my favorite cultural food appropriation day.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Nm what's övertäckas with you?

Haritsoppa :mmmhmm:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

FÅR EJ ÖVERTÄCKAS

That only applies to electric radiators though

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It was a reaction to the 1918 influenza pandemic.

Heating systems were sized to keep the place comfortable with all the windows open an inch.

That silver paint that most radiators have on them is an attempt to tune that down a little bit once everyone forgot about pandemic respiratory illnesses and closed the windows. It lowers the emissivity of the radiator and reduces its power output by maybe a fifth.

so it's back in style now.. cool.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ruflux posted:

That only applies to electric radiators though

HÅLL KÄFTEN DU JÄVLA ÖVERTÄCKARE

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Sir, this is the IKEA cafeteria line.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1468969311876222985?s=20

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tha gently caress. That looks like a videogame rendering error. Why is that on the second story? ?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Big columns, big life

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mahwah, NJ??

Sounds about right.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Tyø yur åtl hø sooten gåtrunen?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I don’t know what any of the Swedish means so I’m going to assume it says “great hack, very cool” and continue hoping that my radiator blanket doesn’t burn the house down.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I dub this The Fonzie Room. As he would say, "Sit On It".

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Fantastic job of replacing that cut stud, PO. Yes it’s load bearing 🤦‍♂️

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

NoSpoon posted:

I'm dumb as heck what's the right way to do it? More cross bracing?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm dumb as heck what's the right way to do it? More cross bracing?

The "fix" shown has all of the load being transferred by whatever fasteners the PO used to attach those short horizontals to the cut stud. Instead, the cut stud should bear directly onto a single horizontal piece (a header), which is then supported by cripple studs.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The "fix" shown has all of the load being transferred by whatever fasteners the PO used to attach those short horizontals to the cut stud. Instead, the cut stud should bear directly onto a single horizontal piece (a header), which is then supported by cripple studs.

As a bonus, the dwangs were clearly made of the cheapest timber they could find 70 years ago. They do an ok job keeping the studs apart, but any lateral force and they fall to pieces. The nails would stay in the stud and the dwang would split in half.

Fixed it now. Not perfect, but an improvement.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

NoSpoon posted:

2 > 1 so this looks like an improvement op

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

NoSpoon posted:

Clearly not in this picture.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
yeah jack the laterals up as close to the cut stud as possible, and then sister stuff to the studs and the center you cut to put in between them, then leave the laterals as... sideways reinforcement

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

spookykid posted:

yeah jack the laterals up as close to the cut stud as possible, and then sister stuff to the studs and the center you cut to put in between them, then leave the laterals as... sideways reinforcement

You are describing a sexual act now.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

It's time for those terrifying six words, "so we just bought a house". This is the first place I've owned instead of rented. All the important stuff is in good to excellent shape, it has a gorgeous yard, etc. But halfway through the sale the realtor told me the PO was an electrician and my mind immediately went to "this is either very good or very bad". I'll give you a hint: I'm posting in this thread.

When we toured the place, and again as part of the inspection, we noted that like half the switches and/or outlets in the house didn't have wallplates attached, which seemed rather insane. Also a few exposed junction boxes in the attic and utility room. They installed most of these after we requested it from the inspection findings, but only most. Also most of the wallplates they installed were these horrible faux-rustic things that looked older than I am so those immediately got swapped for nice new ones.

Everywhere they wanted a cable run, they just drilled a hole in the wall (or more rarely, the baseboard) and jammed a cable in there. I have no idea how they got anything to these places yet or where some of them even go. The lower level living/family room has a pair of RCA cables coming out of the wall that as far as I can tell have no other end anywhere else in the house and might just dead-end somewhere inside the wall. That same room also has three coax cables, one of which even uses a wall plate so I assume that was the original. It's also got a positively prehistoric connector in one corner, which is a five-receptacle thing labelled "ROTOR" which, if you like me did not live through the American Civil War, is a connector used to rotate a TV antenna mast, which is definitely no longer installed. That's coming out at some point and I guess I'll just stick a blank plate there. I've also got everything I need to reterminate the assorted cables (save the RCA ones, I have no idea what to do about those) and then install proper keystone plates for them.

For that matter, there's I think at least 10 coax cables and/or plates in the house, and only two cables wind up at the ONT, so god knows how many splitters are inside the walls.

The porch light is dimmable, and this is achieved via a 2x2 button array, where the four buttons correspond to "off", "dim", "bright", and "no effect". I have yet to take that cover off to see what the hell is going on in there.

Then we get to the ceiling fans. None of them are controlled by wall switches, which on its face is fine but I'm putting this first for a reason. The one in the master bedroom is actually pretty nice. The other two bedrooms, well. One of them does not have lights... or pullcords of any kind. How do they shut it off? They slide the forward/reverse switch to a kind of halfway position that doesn't have a mechanical stop there but does interrupt the circuit. That's gotta get replaced with a better fan at some point regardless. The other one does have pullcords... but the one for the light is jammed. I have no idea how you jam a ceiling fan pullcord, but they found a way. So to turn off the lights they just removed two of the three bulbs and gently unscrewed the third. I discovered this when I pulled the remaining one out to get a photo so I could buy replacements, and when I screwed it back in it lit up. Needless to say I am not happy about having exposed live light sockets so I killed the breaker, which mercifully was labelled correctly, but then turned out to control a second room as well. :argh: So now my todo list includes dismounting the fan so I can see if I can fix the pullcord because what the gently caress. Longer term I need to see how hard it'd be to connect the fans to a wall switch instead but I'm not holding my breath on that one being easy.

Finally, we asked them to demo the shed since it was rotting with the idea being that we'd get a new one come spring. They told us they'd cap the electrical run, so, great. The reality is they cut the cable flush with the top of the conduit and then just left it there exposed. There's no cap, not even a halfassed tape attempt. Not to mention I might need to rerun the cable to have enough slack to actually connect it to anything. Thanks for that. At least they opened the breaker I guess??

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Hire the electrician that used to own the place to fix everything and while they are there, constantly bitch and complain about what a hack job the wiring is.

If he admits that he was the previous owner, get this really wide eyed holy poo poo look on your face and ask him to leave and never come back.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Alternately, find the Romex he cut off and use it to beat his rear end when you call him out.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

power crystals posted:

Finally, we asked them to demo the shed since it was rotting with the idea being that we'd get a new one come spring. They told us they'd cap the electrical run, so, great. The reality is they cut the cable flush with the top of the conduit and then just left it there exposed. There's no cap, not even a halfassed tape attempt. Not to mention I might need to rerun the cable to have enough slack to actually connect it to anything. Thanks for that. At least they opened the breaker I guess??

Haha that reminds me of my detached garage power issue.

When I toured the house before purchase, there was a working light switch in the detached garage that turned on two ceiling fluorescents. After purchasing, I found these no longer turned on. With the state of the house it was the least of my worries at the time.

When this garage was built, the doors were on the opposite side, facing my now neighbour, as the previous owner owned both properties. He was given a permit variance to build right at the property line with the doors on the wrong side, with the condition that should the properties be severed, he had to put them on the other side. So he did this when he sold to me, and I have a garage door facing my backyard from the left, with my driveway on the right. Whatever, it’s a shop for me, not a car hole.

The trouble is the floor is a nice poured slab with a slight slope to the original door location for drainage. To try to mitigate that, he dug a little trench in front of the new doors to direct runoff. Astute readers will know where this is going: he absolutely severed the buried, unshielded bare romex he had run to power the garage. I found the live wire a couple years later.

Incidentally, the garage also turns into a bathtub every spring

mr.belowaverage fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 11, 2021

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

power crystals posted:

PO was an electrician

sorry about it! you never want to hear this.

sure there's a couple things i did here that could possibly be annoying to the next homeowner but nothing confounding

power crystals posted:

Then we get to the ceiling fans. None of them are controlled by wall switches, which on its face is fine but I'm putting this first for a reason. The one in the master bedroom is actually pretty nice. The other two bedrooms, well. One of them does not have lights... or pullcords of any kind. How do they shut it off? They slide the forward/reverse switch to a kind of halfway position that doesn't have a mechanical stop there but does interrupt the circuit. That's gotta get replaced with a better fan at some point regardless. The other one does have pullcords... but the one for the light is jammed. I have no idea how you jam a ceiling fan pullcord, but they found a way. So to turn off the lights they just removed two of the three bulbs and gently unscrewed the third. I discovered this when I pulled the remaining one out to get a photo so I could buy replacements, and when I screwed it back in it lit up. Needless to say I am not happy about having exposed live light sockets so I killed the breaker, which mercifully was labelled correctly, but then turned out to control a second room as well. :argh: So now my todo list includes dismounting the fan so I can see if I can fix the pullcord because what the gently caress. Longer term I need to see how hard it'd be to connect the fans to a wall switch instead but I'm not holding my breath on that one being easy.

depending on the make, pullcords are a straightforward fix with parts readily available or not feasible. as for adding a switch, you might be able to get around this with a remote fan control, depending on the box holding this fan. hopefully this guy knew how many service calls are rooted in fans not being installed in proper fan boxes so you don't have to replace that but given the hacky state of making poo poo work...don't rule it out.

power crystals posted:

i bet they opened the breaker the fun way and not the prudent way

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
You just reminded me of what my wife and i dubbed The Compound. I dont have the address or listing anymore but when we were working with my parents to secure a home in FL to move from MD, they were looking at places to buy for us to rent. Bear in mind we had 3 small children and now have 4. Some highlights of the Compound include:

• Dangling outlets and gang boxes in the kitchen
  • Severe undulations in the entry hallway visible on photographs
  • A faux rock wall in the living room
  • What looked like a crematorium in the yard or some kind of brick oven
  • A hooked up dryer in the backyard
  • God knows what else

They insisted it was fine after I pointed all of this out :what:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

D34THROW posted:

You just reminded me of what my wife and i dubbed The Compound. I dont have the address or listing anymore but when we were working with my parents to secure a home in FL to move from MD, they were looking at places to buy for us to rent. Bear in mind we had 3 small children and now have 4. Some highlights of the Compound include:

• What looked like a crematorium in the yard or some kind of brick oven
Depending on the age of the house, that might have been originally for burning trash. Those were pretty common in the neighborhood I grew up in, and in use as late as the 1960s.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Extant Artiodactyl posted:

depending on the make, pullcords are a straightforward fix with parts readily available or not feasible. as for adding a switch, you might be able to get around this with a remote fan control, depending on the box holding this fan. hopefully this guy knew how many service calls are rooted in fans not being installed in proper fan boxes so you don't have to replace that but given the hacky state of making poo poo work...don't rule it out.

Turned out I just had to take the lighting assembly off the fan and squirt some WD40 into the cord. Works flawlessly now. So that’s some next level laziness. Now I just need new bulbs so it doesn’t have exposed sockets.

I’m not as worried about the fans. It looks like all the big stuff was done by somebody who knew what they were doing. Like, the panels are some of the cleanest I’ve ever seen. So I suspect they had a pro do that and/or it predates them.

Except the halfway switch one. That one I am suspicious of.

Extant Artiodactyl posted:

i bet they opened the breaker the fun way and not the prudent way

Well, there’s no scorch marks…

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

power crystals posted:

PO was an electrician

Funny enough, my PO (that cut the load bearing stud a few posts up) was an electrician too. Electrical is all good, all the other trades are half-assed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NoSpoon posted:

Funny enough, my PO (that cut the load bearing stud a few posts up) was an electrician too. Electrical is all good, all the other trades are half-assed.

My PO (some of you know about loving Gary already) was not in any particular trade, just fancied himself as contractor. My wife decided the he is a "jackass of all trades".

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

My PO (some of you know about loving Gary already) was not in any particular trade, just fancied himself as contractor. My wife decided the he is a "jackass of all trades".

Fuckin' lol, good on her!

Mine was a finish carpenter. Did the kitchen cabinets & a lot of the trim. Beautiful work.

Couldn't stay away from the electric. :gonk:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

power crystals posted:

the PO was an electrician

I have a friend who is a roofer and sometimes general construction. He's built some very nice houses before. He's a very meticulous, thorough builder. HIS house a trailer with add-ons and modifications. The trailer was built in the 70's or 60's so the hallways are tiny and the floor has a tendency to rot out. At one point the favored entry way for the cats was a hole in the kitchen floor. The pipes freeze every winter. They broke every winter until He installed Pex. The bathroom has been refurbished more than once and still has a slightly wavy floor. I've asked him if he ever thought about building a new house and tearing down this one. His response was that he had too much equity in the current house.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

No, wait, it turns out I missed the best one. There's a bundle of random wires hanging in the air in the crawlspace. They go back up through a pair of holes in the coat closet up to the attic, where they terminate... in a set of boxes of spooled wire. I don't even know where to begin with this. Like they set the boxes down, pulled wire to the crawlspace, and then moved out.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I don't think I've ever seen such bad water damage. https://v.redd.it/jdiax95tsw481

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Load bearing words at a local thrift store.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Load bearing words at a local thrift store.

Well, at least there's a "strut" in there somewhere.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
And "slurs" too, come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

kid sinister posted:

I don't think I've ever seen such bad water damage. https://v.redd.it/jdiax95tsw481

I don't think the Titanic has ever seen such bad water damage.