Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Ah hell I knew it, thanks to you and others. Sounds like I need to power through and leave those Likes behind.

e: what a terrible snipe that i should fix later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone have any experience with Thunder Tier One? Seems like the AI sucks so if I were to convince a friend to go in with me it could be pretty alright but.. is it fun? It looks a bit light on content with an emphasis on "hey we allow modding", but a lot of positive reviews say it's a great platform and begging modders to make more maps lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hub Cat posted:

The suit upgrade perks are passive permanent upgrades iirc.

well... that would go a long way towards explaining my confusion. thanks!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I feel like Ziplines in DS are as much a pain in the rear end as they are useful till you have a shitload of network bandwidth. They're essential in the mountains but I feel like trucks are more useful generally everywhere else*. Although apparently, the directors cut lets you use hover carriers with them which is probably my #1 complaint

Section Z posted:

On that note, the speed legs start out disappointing (in my view) but the rank 3 version is super goddamned amazing. Finally good power capacity and they fold up into a Small size box you can easily stash in your backpack.
This is 100% correct robot legs are always good but really only the lvl 3 speed legs are good.

*After you've repaired the roads.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 11, 2021

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hub Cat posted:

I feel like Ziplines in DS are as much a pain in the rear end as they are useful till you have a shitload of network bandwidth. They're essential in the mountains but I feel like trucks are more useful generally everywhere else*. Although apparently, the directors cut lets you use hover carriers with them which is probably my #1 complaint

This is 100% correct robot legs are always good but really only the lvl 3 speed legs are good.

*After you've repaired the roads.
Why do we rebuild roads?

To deliver lovely briefcase wine to go with your pizza faster, on foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd6iKsB4d1w

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 11, 2021

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

I just want to signal boost a game that I came across entirely by accident on Steam:

Golden Treasure: The Great Green is a CYOA / "King of Dragon Pass"-like about being a dragon.

You start out as a dragon within an egg, hatch to immediately discover your mother was just killed by "No-tails" (Bronze age people), Bambi style. You have to make it on your own, explore the land, stalk and hunt prey, and gather up treasure and artifacts in your hoard. Every encounter will help you grow your four elemental attributes (earth, wind, fire, water) that govern your combat stats and event skill checks. Once you're big enough, you flee the initial land of your birth to establish your own territory in the untouched wilds beyond human territory, the Great Green. It's a three act game, with the first act being your initial childhood, your second act being your adolescence in the Great Green, and the final act being your ascension into adulthood and the making of an Important Choice.

It's charming. It's well-written, has beautiful art, and a genuinely touching story with a real message that you can tell was made by real people.

Only caveat I have is that, somewhat unusually for the genre, they implemented a roguelite style death system. Three deaths and your run is over, and deaths come quickly for a young dragon hunted by humans. Your game is automatically saved with each choice, as well, so no reloading from a previous save. But there is some meta-progression. As you're hunting, your knowledge of the animals you hunt increases, and when you restart each animal you've fully learned about will give a bonus to your attributes for the next run. And when you reach a major story milestone or complete certain sidequests, you will unlock tarot cards that carry over that provide major attribute bonuses or special mechanic bonuses (eg get hungry slower or automatically identify all artifacts). I died twice before completing my first run, both times in the first chapter, after which I had enough of a skill base and player/game knowledge that things went smoothly after.

There's a time limit on each act (between 20-50 turns depending on the chapter) that would prevent a completionist run. If that bothers you (like me), it's easy to edit the xml files and extend that limit arbitrarily high until you've done everything you want for that act, and then lower it back down so you can move on to the next. It's also easy to edit the xml files to start with whatever stats you'd like, so if you really feel the need to play on story mode you absolutely can.

It costs $20 and took me 18 hours to finish. There's three main endings determined by the Important Choice you make at the end, and one secret ending locked behind unlocking every tarot card and maxing your stats. Having save scummed to see all 3 main endings, I didn't feel like running back through the game 2 more times to officially complete all 3 main endings just to unlock the secret ending, and I'm okay with that. It still was a really quality game that left good memories I can tell will stick with me. I highly recommend it.

Very cool. I love King of Dragon Pass though I suck at it and keep losing cows. This is right up my alley. Good review!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Well that’s just a lie. No one who is marginally competent or familiar with history thinks a year is long enough to do…. almost anything website based.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I understand that half of Persona 4 is essentially a visual novel, but the epilogue after the final dungeon goes on foooreeeevver. Though they do nail the bittersweet feeling of leaving a town you've spent an extended period of time in, which I've done a bunch :gbsmith:

Overall the game is great. The group dynamic of your squad is a bit weird. Would girls want to hang out with guys who are constantly creeping on them? I played on hard and though the first dungeon was pretty rough, everything else felt pretty good after that. It felt easier than my memories of Persona 3 back on the PS2, but maybe I'm just better at games.

As a bonus, I learned a lot about Japanese life such as
1) Saturday is a school day, those poor bastards
2) children in elementary school drink coffee
3) hugging your distraught friend is a declaration of love. To avoid that, just silently stare

Special shoutout to Kanji's voice actor, who recorded half of his lines while clearly inebriated.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

in yakuza LAD, is there a point i should beeline to in the story before I stop & smell the roses for game mechanics reasons, like in Death Stranding & waiting for Ep3/5 before loving around?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ciaphas posted:

in yakuza LAD, is there a point i should beeline to in the story before I stop & smell the roses for game mechanics reasons, like in Death Stranding & waiting for Ep3/5 before loving around?

Hmm, probably unlocking the job system, so you can start working on those. Getting a full party is a good idea too, but that actually requires doing some side content (the business management minigame).

In general, you can engage with side stuff as it pops up, the point of no return is very obvious.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Thanks again to The 7th Guest for Voidigo, I'm loving it. Highly recommended to fans of Nuclear Throne etc-- easily worth the cost of entry for the latest Humble Monthly. Also the item descriptions are great:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

The only thing you may want to rush a bit imho is companion relationship. Once you get a new companion, get them in your party, and keep them there until you maxed out your relationship by doing their quests. At max relationship they get full xp even when outside of party, so that ensures that everyone is leveling up no matter what your favourite team is, and when you decide to try someone else, they are on par with everyone else.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

explosivo posted:

Anyone have any experience with Thunder Tier One? Seems like the AI sucks so if I were to convince a friend to go in with me it could be pretty alright but.. is it fun? It looks a bit light on content with an emphasis on "hey we allow modding", but a lot of positive reviews say it's a great platform and begging modders to make more maps lol
It looks good for anyone who has ever played Commandos coop. Not sure if it is content light, it may be, but I'm perfectly willing to give $20 indie games some slack for being content light. It's not some AAA $70 game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk9xqMxoX48

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
You like Gothic? Here, have more Gothic, it's free.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1467450/The_Chronicles_Of_Myrtana_Archolos/

quote:

The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos is a free, total conversion mod for Gothic II: Gold Edition. It features a completely new open world, improved skills systems, gameplay mechanics and complex story.

Main goal of this project is to honour one the best classic cRPG and take the die-hard fans of the original Gothic trilogy as well as new players on one more adventure in the Kingdom of Myrtana.

FEATURES
Professional voice acting
Fully adhering to the lore of Gothic series
60+ hours of expected playtime
Complex main plot with many twists and secrets to discover
Over 170 quests with multiple ways to complete them
Multidimensional characters with credible backstories and personal goals
Breathtaking soundtrack composed solely for the purpose of the mod
About 200 random events that the main character may encounter
New crafting system with activities, such as alchemy, cooking and magic scrolls writing
Rebalanced economy and items stats considering 20 years of Gothic players feedback
Expanded travel system with option to choose between magic teleports, boats and mercenary caravans
More than 100 new armors and weapons with unique visuals

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

tohu is a delightful surprise, a little simple but charming in the way machinarium was

(although it feels like dialog was added at the last second for extra conveyance to the player and feels unnecessary)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Blimey. Apparently Pyranha Bytes drafted a license for modders of their game in 2004 (!) already, so people can make derivative works of Gothic and publish them as long as they don't demand money for it. (If I'm reading the license right, of course…)

That's pretty forward-thinking tbh.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

If you want to powergame, I'd suggest rushing until you get to the business management minigame, then read a guide for it and spend an afternoon beating it. That not only gives you all the money you need for the rest of the game (surprisingly, this does not make the game a cakewalk) but it unlocks your final party member. Then you can optionally progress the story mode a bit further beyond that (not far) and you'll unlock a sort of repeatable sewer dungeon thing that can be phenomenal for farming exp.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 12, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’ve installed a new drive on an old computer, installed a fresh copy of windows, and am now moving some steam stuff over. So it’s going from a standard c: install to a standard c: install. I had steam install one game to get everything set up, and I’m currently copying all the other installs from steamapps/common to the new steamapps/common.

When that’s done, will Steam notice these new installs when I fire it up, or will I need to go through and “install” each one again?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you want to powergame, I'd suggest rushing until you get to the business management minigame, then read a guide for it and spend an afternoon beating it. That not only gives you all the money you need for the rest of the game (surprisingly, this does not make the game a cakewalk) but it unlocks your final party member. Then you can optionally progress the story mode a bit further beyond that (not far) and you'll unlock a sort of repeatable sewer dungeon thing that can be phenomenal for farming exp.

If you're like me and don't care overmuch for the management games in the Yakuza series, you only have to do the first milestone in Like A Dragon to get the party member.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bad Munki posted:

I’ve installed a new drive on an old computer, installed a fresh copy of windows, and am now moving some steam stuff over. So it’s going from a standard c: install to a standard c: install. I had steam install one game to get everything set up, and I’m currently copying all the other installs from steamapps/common to the new steamapps/common.

When that’s done, will Steam notice these new installs when I fire it up, or will I need to go through and “install” each one again?

should work. you could have alternatively directed steam towards your old steam directory, and steam would've recognized your old games from there, unless you planned on disconnecting the old drive.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4BD4-4528-6B2E-8327#exist

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rinkles posted:

should work. you could have alternatively directed steam towards your old steam directory, and steam would've recognized your old games from there, unless you planned on disconnecting the old drive.

Nah, the old drive is going away. When I say “an old computer” I mean “it has HDDs in it”. Setting this thing up for the kids to play terraria and such, figured throwing an SSD in there was a worthwhile enough upgrade.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bad Munki posted:

Nah, the old drive is going away. When I say “an old computer” I mean “it has HDDs in it”. Setting this thing up for the kids to play terraria and such, figured throwing an SSD in there was a worthwhile enough upgrade.

for the OS absolutely. for games too, but for some titles the difference won't be that big.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

These old platter drives really struggle with loading lots of small files. Even the copy itself dips down to <5MB/sec when it’s doing a million tiny files just from the seek time. :|

Also it’s quieter, although that little ticka-tacka rattle in the background is super nostalgic. And who knows if/when these HDDs are gonna go south. They’re over a decade old and one of the two I had in there has already died some years back. Lots of miles on those things.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

We need 8tb drives in ssd for under $300 before I consider moving over to all ssds

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

.5TB is pleeeeeenty for what’s going on this old dog. :haw:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

We need 8tb drives in ssd for under $300 before I consider moving over to all ssds

i had a pair of 1tb ssds in my old computer which integrated into my new rig painlessly which itself has a 1tb ssd and i'm feeling very satisfied personally

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Can we call HDDs spinners, and say programs on them are ridin' spinners?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Every IT shop I've ever worked in calls them spinners, so go nuts

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chorvs is a lot of fun once you get some unlocks and get the hang of the combat system. One question I have is if there's a point at which the game opens up and stops locking you into story missions. I keep trying to do some sidequests, but first it forces you to abandon your current story quest, and more than once I've flown too close to a waypoint and it automatically reselects the story mission. after the second system, for example, right before you go to that first rift system, I wanted to go back to system #1 and do some side qtests, but as I was flying through the waypoint it forced me onto the story mission, sending me to the rift.

Is this something I'm just going to have to fight the UI on or will it open up once I progress to a certain point in the story

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd say the best thing about control is 90% production design and the leftover 10% that's the actual shooting/gameplay is mediocre at best but i put a massive radius boost and a massive damage boost in the thing's triple rocket launcher and boy howdy i have to say it was incredibly gratifying
https://twitter.com/cowcaster/status/1469926491723083780?s=20

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

zoux posted:

Chorvs is a lot of fun once you get some unlocks and get the hang of the combat system. One question I have is if there's a point at which the game opens up and stops locking you into story missions. I keep trying to do some sidequests, but first it forces you to abandon your current story quest, and more than once I've flown too close to a waypoint and it automatically reselects the story mission. after the second system, for example, right before you go to that first rift system, I wanted to go back to system #1 and do some side qtests, but as I was flying through the waypoint it forced me onto the story mission, sending me to the rift.

Is this something I'm just going to have to fight the UI on or will it open up once I progress to a certain point in the story

The game will prioritize story missions such that if you fly too close to a main objective, it’ll automatically focus on it until that section is completed and then you can go back to doing sidequests. It’s annoying if you’re like me and do everything possible to avoid the main mission until all the side content is done but the good news is that nothing is permanently missable. You can also abandon the story mission to kick you back out faster if you have to do whatever optional quest you were working on now.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Haven't seen anyone post about Wolfstride yet. Its a turn based mech fighting game, manga style. Not everyone's cup of tea but I'm really enjoying it. It oozes styles, great VA and character animations. The only minor gripe I have is that there is a little busy work between fights but the dialogue carries it.

(I had to use a humble link, can't seem to share a link in the steam app)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cowcaster posted:

i'd say the best thing about control is 90% production design and the leftover 10% that's the actual shooting/gameplay is mediocre at best but i put a massive radius boost and a massive damage boost in the thing's triple rocket launcher and boy howdy i have to say it was incredibly gratifying
https://twitter.com/cowcaster/status/1469926491723083780?s=20

Okay, but be honest - you instantly killed yourself with it the first time you tried to use it, right?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Control is Prey + Deadly Premonition and it holds a special place as a finished game atop my pile of Epic Store garbage. I'm very much interested in a sequel.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’d be lying if i said there haven’t been any “danger close” incidents but mostly because the rockets seem to detonate upon leaving the barrel if they see a physics object within 30 yards

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Control has an interesting presentation and it was interesting to see all the SCP stuff but the gameplay goes from "mediocre" to "loving dire" throughout the game's course.
By the time I beat the all the optional and post-game bosses I loving hated the gameplay so much.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I found the gameplay fun for the whole game and all DLC. I think it has the most seamless incorporation of telekinesis I've ever seen in a game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Telekinesis is the one good ability in that game. Everything else was just poo poo that sucked but you had to do something while waiting for Telekinesis to recharge.
Telekinesis was also useless against most bosses which is why they sucked extra hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Worst part of Control's gameplay IMO was too many material drops being limited to certain areas and when the dudes run out you're forced to wander around hoping more will eventually spawn.