Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Cold Steel 3 - Late Chapter 4

Erpy posted:

I believe you get additional tickets by doing sidequests. You SHOULD have enough for everybody.

I didn't realize that you were being completely literal there. I did both sidequest I knew about, thought that I till simply didn't have enough, and was going to need to not do two characters, and the ones I chose to kick to the metaphorical curb were Musse and Elise/Alfin.

Then I advanced the story and did a new sidequest, and suddenly, I found myself with enough tickets to see everyone's event and max out Alfin as well.

So naturally, I spent a second ticket so Kurt could donate toy swords to the Bazaar, then spent the last three tickets seeing all Alisa's events, and thus seeing no events with Musse or Alfin/Elise was deliberate snubbing.

Nereidum posted:

If you haven't moved on past this part (or if you still have a save from before moving on), a few characters (Gwyn, Sharon, and Irina) get some extra dialog after you take Alisa's romance option.

I did remember to check all of them, because I remembered Sharon getting extra dialogue from CS 2's Roer free day. It's cute and hilarious that they all somehow know immediately and just as immediately have all collectively moved onto "kids when?"

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hwurmp posted:

I'm afraid so, especially in FC's final dungeon

YOU WERE NOT KIDDING AT ALL. That's FC down, just festival on my plate now, which, because Joshua promised to come clean with Estelle, means everything is still going to go to hell before I'm done. I've played enough of these now to know the first part can't be happy.

edit: lmao what

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 12, 2021

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

secretly best girl posted:

YOU WERE NOT KIDDING AT ALL. That's FC down, just festival on my plate now, which, because Joshua promised to come clean with Estelle, means everything is still going to go to hell before I'm done. I've played enough of these now to know the first part can't be happy.

edit: lmao what

Seeing reactions to this part is always fun.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I already knew we were going to split these two somehow, the game kept foreshadowing it hard. I just didn't expect "also I'm an Enforcer".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

between FC and CS1, which ending is more lmao what

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hwurmp posted:

between FC and CS1, which ending is more lmao what

Probably FC because so much more of CS1 was laid out in advance and FC ending on "I work for the shadow government, here's a roofie, bye" is SO abrupt I was actually crying laughing as I realized OH THAT'S IT, THAT'S THE FINAL NON-AMV PART?!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
In defense of FC, you literally see that foreshadowed/referenced during the introduction. You just sort of assume that, you know, it stopped.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Probably FC because so much more of CS1 was laid out in advance and FC ending on "I work for the shadow government, here's a roofie, bye" is SO abrupt I was actually crying laughing as I realized OH THAT'S IT, THAT'S THE FINAL NON-AMV PART?!

The best part is when that originally came out, people had absolutely no idea that wasn't a standalone game.

I say, as someone who played it when it first came out (2011 was 10 years ago, wow) and got stuck waiting for SC port.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
So now that I finished Sky FC I decided to reward myself with the OVA.

It's incredibly bad. The translation doesn't help ("BLBLANC! You won't get away with this!"), but every single battle is like the dying days of WCW: never a clean finish, usually with some random rear end in a top hat tagging in to overturn the whole thing, then people flee. It's two thirds over as I write this and Estelle hasn't landed a single clean hit on anyone. The kick scene is even funnier in context.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've finished Cold Steel 3. Fantastic final dungeon music. Fantastic "final boss" music.

As for some of the reveals and "plot twists", I'll let the game speak for itself:

Kurt: "This is beyond absurd."
Musse: "Unbelievable..."

I have some more thoughts on the game, of course, but I think I'll save them for a while. In the meantime, I'm remembering an old post in this thread...

Wonderslug posted:

Welp, just finally finished Cold Steel. Some wrap-up observations:

5) Congratulations, Emma, you made it through an entire Trails game with less characterization than every other member of the main cast, most secondary characters, many generic-model NPCs, and a handful who didn't even get names. Your capacity to withhold important information and actively dodge character development is impressive! Your prize is gently caress you.

... and I shall steal it in order to say:

Congratulations, Kurt, you made it through an entire Trails game with less characterization than every other member of the main cast, most secondary characters, many generic-model NPCs, and a handful who didn't even get names. Your capacity to impersonate damp cardboard and actively dodge character development is impressive! Your prize is zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 12, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

So now that I finished Sky FC I decided to reward myself with the OVA.

It's incredibly bad. The translation doesn't help ("BLBLANC! You won't get away with this!"), but every single battle is like the dying days of WCW: never a clean finish, usually with some random rear end in a top hat tagging in to overturn the whole thing, then people flee. It's two thirds over as I write this and Estelle hasn't landed a single clean hit on anyone. The kick scene is even funnier in context.

The kick scene is even funnier if you've played SC, because the spin move she's attempting is the opening of one of her S-crafts.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

It's two thirds over as I write this and Estelle hasn't landed a single clean hit on anyone

Update: she never does. Not a single blow on a human with a name. If it wasn't for two scenes with monsters she would be useless the whole film through.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that is an accurate adaptation of trails in the sky sc

edit: wait, you do know the ova adapts most of sc, right? its not fanfic its actually the (extremely abbreviated) plot of trails in the sky second chapter.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, but it's 90 minutes, I kind of figure I've got a lot of surprises in store for myself playing the 60+ hour game now, especially since THE MAIN VILLAIN THEY REVEAL AT THE END OF FC ISN'T EVEN IN IT.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

I like Kurt but (CS3 ending) his connection to Cedric should have been played up. Play up how he was raised all his life for the duty of becoming the crown prince's bodyguard... only to then be told that his services were not required. Maybe show flashbacks of him and Cedric's friendship together. Have Kurt second guess himself: "Am I truly not worthy? Was I not your friend? Perhaps there is some other way I can aid you?", and then at the end he should've been truly shocked by Cedric's appalling morals and apparent betrayal to his own country, which would setup a climatic confrontation in 4.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Endorph posted:

that is an accurate adaptation of trails in the sky sc

edit: wait, you do know the ova adapts most of sc, right? its not fanfic its actually the (extremely abbreviated) plot of trails in the sky second chapter.

It seems kinda weird to say it adapts most of SC when it skips the prologue, does the final fight of chapter 1, does a modified version of chapter 2, jumps halfway through chapter 6 and ends there, in a game that ends at chapter 9.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cyouni posted:

It seems kinda weird to say it adapts most of SC when it skips the prologue, does the final fight of chapter 1, does a modified version of chapter 2, jumps halfway through chapter 6 and ends there, in a game that ends at chapter 9.
it adapts most of the major plot points from those chapters!

Moofia Boss Val posted:

I like Kurt but (CS3 ending) his connection to Cedric should have been played up. Play up how he was raised all his life for the duty of becoming the crown prince's bodyguard... only to then be told that his services were not required. Maybe show flashbacks of him and Cedric's friendship together. Have Kurt second guess himself: "Am I truly not worthy? Was I not your friend? Perhaps there is some other way I can aid you?", and then at the end he should've been truly shocked by Cedric's appalling morals and apparent betrayal to his own country, which would setup a climatic confrontation in 4.
you do get one or two conversations and scenes like that, but realistically it doesnt feel like the devs really cared about kurt that much.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Lol, that was my own reaction to that reveal when I played FC

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Kurt's stuff with Cedric in CS4.

Its still kinda minor but I like what's there. Though in general I think Cedric ends up being a pretty good character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like cedric but i hope (cs4) they dont actually go in a romantic direction with his and shirley's stuff lol. please just let one woman be gay with no hints otherwise. is this my karmic punishment for saying that angelica is a bit wonky but not a bad gay character.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Endorph posted:

it adapts most of the major plot points from those chapters!

I can't believe that when Gilbert isn't in it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I liked Juna, I liked Ash, I liked Altina. I gave Kurt a chance, I really did, but the game just didn't do much with him, and his absolutely wooden, straight-laced personality didn't help. I was honestly (but pleasantly) surprised that Cold Steel 3 had Alisa Reinford being so much more plot relevant than Kurt.

I couldn't stand Musse at all, and I found the thing at the very ending where (according to Aurelia), she had apparently somehow managed to predict "everything that happened" to be well beyond what was reasonably plausible, and that annoyed me, rather than intrigued me.

Right now, it seems like Cedric (Cold Steel 3 ending) is the newest Ironblood, and it seems like he knew of and helped arrange, at least in part - the attempted assassination of his father. Given that, and his participation in the attempted murder of Altina, and the ritual to "drown the world in war", I think there should be a guillotine waiting for him, Osborne, Alberich, and the rest of the Ironbloods at the end of CS 4. But that won't be happening, I'm sure.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 12, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i like cedric but i hope (cs4) they dont actually go in a romantic direction with his and shirley's stuff lol. please just let one woman be gay with no hints otherwise. is this my karmic punishment for saying that angelica is a bit wonky but not a bad gay character.

Falcom kinda sucks with this but I dunno his brief scenes with her at the end of CS4 seemed to be better about it than the once a game line of Crow and Towa talking about George and Angie getting together. Like if i'm remembering right she straight up says she's not into him in one of her last lines and I don't think it was particularly played ambiguously. And even when they do a joke of Cedric getting embarrased about meeting her dad it's followed up by him saying "Oh right. It's Shirley" as if the joke is supposed to be that he's getting embarrased over nothing because she's gay.

Though I guess even considering that it probably won't stop them making a few jokes about it though. Which will suck.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Ash was the only NC7 character I particularly liked.

(CS3 ending) Altina was boring and the 5th retread of the same archetype. Juna is grating as she feels somewhat mary sueish, being a literal fangirl of the SSS (who we had never met before) who we are expected to believe was told their most private shared experiences and top secret info, and she is self righteous and constantly intrudes upon the story. Musse was okay at first as her joke got old real fast, but then she started becoming aggravating with her secret chessmaster reveal. Kurt was as aforementioned inoffensive, simply wasted opportunity.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They’re the coolest Trails party tbh

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
OG Class VII is and remains the best cast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even ignoring its validity as a term, on a list of 'sueish' trails characters juna wouldnt even crack the top 50

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Ash was the only NC7 character I particularly liked.

(CS3 ending) Altina was boring and the 5th retread of the same archetype. Juna is grating as she feels somewhat mary sueish, being a literal fangirl of the SSS (who we had never met before) who we are expected to believe was told their most private shared experiences and top secret info, and she is self righteous and constantly intrudes upon the story. Musse was okay at first as her joke got old real fast, but then she started becoming aggravating with her secret chessmaster reveal. Kurt was as aforementioned inoffensive, simply wasted opportunity.

Ash is great and even though I knew it absolutely wasn't going to happen, I wanted for him to somehow end up with the final divine knight. It's dumb that no one from the new class 7 got one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

even ignoring its validity as a term, on a list of 'sueish' trails characters juna wouldnt even crack the top 50

Not even in the games she's in, never mind the rest of the drat series

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They’re the coolest Trails party tbh

Veryslightlymad posted:

OG Class VII is and remains the best cast.

The SSS blows both Class 7s out of the water.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'd have to play the second game of Crossbell, but in the one I have played, I wouldn't call that true.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Juna isn't even the female character that got the most stuff thrown her way in her debut game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

The SSS blows both Class 7s out of the water.

Randy is of course extremely rad but he is also closely affiliated with new Class VII so frankly the SSS just doesn't quite measure up.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The SSS is fine. The main thing they have going for them is that they have really good chemistry together, but individually, Randy is the only one I find remotely compelling.

But drat, as a unit, I will admit they're pretty great.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You played all of Zero and you didn't find Tio compelling at all? Like, Elie I'll grant is fairly flat, but Tio rivals Randy for awesome bits.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

I already knew we were going to split these two somehow, the game kept foreshadowing it hard. I just didn't expect "also I'm an Enforcer".

The interesting part is; there was a voiced throwaway line in act 1 of CS2 that literally spelled this out for you. But I don't blame you for not remembering it.

Cold Steel II, Act 1 spoiler:

When Sharon saved the party's bacon from Bleublanc's shadow weaving on top of the watch tower in Nord, Enforcer number X asks Enforcer number IX if she's going to follow the same path as Joshua. (as well as a certain other character) Sharon then replies that this path was closed off to her long ago.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

hmmmm

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

You can't say that Falcom didn't take that particular criticism to heart. Heh.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Some Numbers posted:

You played all of Zero and you didn't find Tio compelling at all? Like, Elie I'll grant is fairly flat, but Tio rivals Randy for awesome bits.

I found her fun, sure. But... eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

More *clap* Homosexual *clap* Rapist *clap* War Criminals *clap*