Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
May is exactly the kind of person who would have followed the rules and wouldn't have even been told about any parties because she would 100% have grassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

Tory party has been popular vote as far back as I can remember atm, that's how Leadsom got to the final round against May

Nah it's popular vote of the membership between two candidates selected by the parliamentary party through a runoff vote (there's a round of votes, least votes drops out, repeat until two are left). Often by that point the 2nd place person drops out "for the good of the party" - i.e. they know they're never going to win so they drop out in the hope of avoiding being purged too hard by the obvious winner - Leadsom took this route against May and got to be Leader of the House, Hunt didn't against Johnson and was exiled to the back benches.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhbyj8pqUao

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If Johnson is kicked out in a leadership battle, it'll be interesting to see exactly where the dividing line is between "The PM should be a proper Tory who hates fun and is dedicated to crushing people I don't like" and "I... ain't going to vote for one of them people. You know. I'm not a racist, but... them."

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Payndz posted:

If Johnson is kicked out in a leadership battle, it'll be interesting to see exactly where the dividing line is between "The PM should be a proper Tory who hates fun and is dedicated to crushing people I don't like" and "I... ain't going to vote for one of them people. You know. I'm not a racist, but... them."

So there is a direct quote from my mother which will go down in history as the most Tory thing anyone has ever said.

"There is a Asian family just bought the house at the end of our garden, but it's ok because he's a doctor"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think back to the person at work who conspiratorially whispered to me about the asians who had viewed her house she was trying to sell.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
A chance for Nadine Dorries, the culture Secretary, to show her quality.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Truss v Dorries has got to be the final of the "dumbest motherfucker in Parliament" tournament

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

learnincurve posted:

So there is a direct quote from my mother which will go down in history as the most Tory thing anyone has ever said.

"There is a Asian family just bought the house at the end of our garden, but it's ok because he's a doctor"

My gut feeling is that British people generally are more classist than racist. Tories would be fine with a none-white PM as long as they wore a nice suit, went to the right schools, had an Eton accent and gave off 'sensible businessperson' vibes. Compared to America where large amounts of people lost their poo poo over Obama

I'm probably wrong though

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"She's one of the good ones."

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Has the nation finally had enough of Tory scandals?
Zoe Williams says this is it friends the tories are going to lose it all and my hope is that kenny labour gets run over by Jeremy
Corbyn and a true beacon of leftism gets the top spot before the next election.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

For anyone who watches “Succession” this should be horrifyingly familiar

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They've sacrified a Dehenna Davison, a brand new Tory MP to the Marr show as literally no senior MP wanted to go on.

She has immediately gone off message by agreeing that the party fiasco will mean people won't follow the rules.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Never mind. Here’s Kieth to tell us he’s backing the government

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

They've sacrified a Dehenna Davison, a brand new Tory MP to the Marr show as literally no senior MP wanted to go on.

She has immediately gone off message by agreeing that the party fiasco will mean people won't follow the rules.

Hasn't Marr hosed off to LBC yet?

Honestly, I'm intrigued about who they'll get to replace him (unless they already announced it).
Oh god, Andrew Neil's out of TV work at the moment, isn't he?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I see the Tory backbenchers are worried about civil liberties and creeping authoritarianism again. About the police and borders bills? Lol nope, mask hurt face no want vaccine passports.

https://twitter.com/michaeljmarra/status/1469010213646876676

At least we know who to blame when kier crashes and burns at the next GE.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 12, 2021

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Convex posted:

Just book it, it should work.

Yeah I was able to book it a few days ago, got my booster yesterday. About 5 months since second shot. The website text said I can't book yet but actually when I tried it I could

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Everyone laughed at Rory when he ran for PM well who's laughing now

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah it's popular vote of the membership between two candidates selected by the parliamentary party through a runoff vote (there's a round of votes, least votes drops out, repeat until two are left). Often by that point the 2nd place person drops out "for the good of the party" - i.e. they know they're never going to win so they drop out in the hope of avoiding being purged too hard by the obvious winner - Leadsom took this route against May and got to be Leader of the House, Hunt didn't against Johnson and was exiled to the back benches.

True since 1998, apparently, and there's been a vote of MPs before that since the 60s. That's what did for Thatcher, she got leadership challenged and won the initial vote of the MPs but by a narrow enough margin it was clear she was toast.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

the premiere of Johnny English in Apr 2003 led to an epidemic of British loving which resulted in a huge spike in births Jan 2004 - the so-called "Johnny English Generation". It's theorized that the economic hardship of raising these disgusting ill-conceived children may have pushed some voters towards nationalist ideologies

That isn't actually even the introduction of Johnny English, he was adverts for Barclays Bank first.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

TACD posted:

Gotta say the scandalous Christmas party being a quiz is far more mundane than I was imagining

not even party hats :coronatoot:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Please don't mess with my JE headcanon

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I'll let boris off if he publishes the quiz questions so I can work out which ones I'd have gotten right

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1469961800460509189

I genuinely think I'm beginning to hate him more than the Tories.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

That isn't actually even the introduction of Johnny English, he was adverts for Barclays Bank first.

You've just reminded me that Ben Elton wanted to write a movie about the Gold Blend couple, allegedly out of jealousy of how much money Richard Curtis made off The Tall Guy in between series 3 and 4 of Blackadder. I think the fact he got knocked back means we're not in the absolute Darkest Timeline, although his diversion into the loving awful jukebox musical genre makes that a hard call to make.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1469961800460509189

I genuinely think I'm beginning to hate him more than the Tories.

well yeah, the tories are just doing what they're supposed to do, not their fault most of the voters don't actually know what they're voting for

Keith? The gently caress is he doing? What does he think he's supposed to be doing? I don't think he's had an original thought of his own since he's been in charge. He's entirely driven by some god drat zoomer tech-bro advisor team. Like Cummings but they're vegan and donate to animal charities.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Regarde Aduck posted:

well yeah, the tories are just doing what they're supposed to do, not their fault most of the voters don't actually know what they're voting for

Keith? The gently caress is he doing? What does he think he's supposed to be doing? I don't think he's had an original thought of his own since he's been in charge. He's entirely driven by some god drat zoomer tech-bro advisor team.

Take off the tie Keith.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
wuruugh wut ugg rucuvery bohnds und toughah suntunces for those who yourunate on owah wahr mumoriuls rwurwurwurwhhaegheargejjhgg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You've just reminded me that Ben Elton wanted to write a movie about the Gold Blend couple
Layer Cake but they're chasing around a shipment of poo poo instant coffee and you end up rooting for the nazi who wants their heads.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

crispix posted:

wuruugh wut ugg rucuvery bohnds und toughah suntunces for those who yourunate on owah wahr mumoriuls rwurwurwurwhhaegheargejjhgg

Are... Are you OK Crispix? You're not supposed to gargle the wet eggs...

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Patel, … upper echelons of the Tory party are falling to scandals that she's clean of (because I'm certain she's never been to a party in her life).

The only parties she’s been to have been ones she’s followed behind a rush of uniforms yelling POLICE POLICE.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

serious gaylord posted:

They had Zahawi on later, Davison was just there for the papers bit.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Take off the tie Keith.

Please don’t let Keith’s old chap flop out.

I definitely hate Keith more than the Tories, as I, on a human level, kind of hate liberals more than fascists. Obviously fascists are far worse people and their agenda more toxic, but it’s a good old fashioned honest kind of evil. It’s evil but it isn’t irritating. It’s like how Sauron is ultimately the bad guy, but you hate that whiny little prick Denethor more.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

The only parties she’s been to have been ones she’s followed behind a rush of uniforms yelling POLICE POLICE.

If Terminator May was still PM I bet we would have done better if only because she couldn't have resisted implementing the China protocol and welding everyone with a positive PCR into their homes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Z the IVth posted:

If Terminator May was still PM I bet we would have done better if only because she couldn't have resisted implementing the China protocol and welding everyone with a positive PCR into their homes.

May has the bad kind of diabetes, so you can bet your rear end the airports would have immediately been shut and we would have gone into total lockdown.

Because a Tory's first instinct is to look after number 1.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NotJustANumber99 posted:

no you're a bit confused, starmer isnt a tory

New “plan b” Covid restrictions are expected to become law in the UK after Labour leader Keir Starmer confirmed that his party will be supporting Boris Johnson’s government in Tuesday’s vote.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

learnincurve posted:

the bad kind of diabetes

:hmmno:

Please don't force me to clock in on a Sunday

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

Payndz posted:

do any of them like fun.
Sure they do lemo but snorting a line and then looking at how many poor people you can kill doesn't sound super fun.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

learnincurve posted:

May has the bad kind of diabetes
Been listening to a lot of Off Menu recently and surely this is a good thing because James Acaster leads me to believe that diabetes is a superpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PNGYAKUZA posted:

do any of them like fun.
Sure they do lemo but snorting a line and then looking at how many poor people you can kill doesn't sound super fun.

Reminds me of an article I read about how Trump supporters want to be friends and partners with liberals but the sentiment is not returned for obvious reasons, and comes to mind how much it explains that right wingers are as obnoxious and miserable to be around to each other as they are to everyone else.