Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
each of the four times I caught covid it was at brunch, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
the only moral photograph with goofy is my photograph with goofy

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

LionArcher posted:

I “justified”Disneyland by saying it was dumb and not infecting anyone because I was masked the whole time

As you're well aware, this is not a 100 percent protection, so the fact that you weren't infecting anyone was random chance. Would you say that you have the moral high ground over someone who did the same security precautions and ended up unlucky enough to catch it anyway? Also, you have to consider the externalities. Just because you weren't personally involved in an infection, it might have happened indirectly. If you hadn't sat on a ride, it might have been a bit more empty, such that some infected person could have prevented sitting next to someone else.
"I regularly go to the doorknop-licking center, but I am always careful not to personally infect anyone and haven't so far. Therefore..."

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 12, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i just saw the post about going to disneyland mid delta surge and lmao, that's an incredible contrast to just blanket brunch-scolding an entire thread

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
"unlike you guys i take the proper precautions going to ride the rollercoasters in a park with 80,000 people in it that day"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So what's the acceptable threshold for activities then? I've been to Epcot like 5 years ago and it was almost entirely outdoors IIRC. Seems like this +vaxxed + masked would be a fairly low risk thing to do.

Since there's absolutely no end in sight for this, I don't think it's reasonable to put on hold absolutely everything that isn't completely essential.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
what if we have brunch outdoors??

that's gotta be the same risk as going to Disneyland during the delta wave, right?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
hey what time did you eat breakfast and lunch at disneyword

no reason, jsut curious

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Some food for thought.

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1469733674426023936
Potential burn out of Omicron in SA.

https://twitter.com/AlastairGrant4/status/1469783292522156040
We don't have enough figures still to really understand severity claims.

Anyway, I got a text invite from my GP surgery from a booster yesterday, which is odd as I'm not eligible here in the UK. (33, no high risk conditions). I can't call them to check, and my mate who was high risk and got his done a few months ago said someone who went there got turned away for not being eligible even though they got an invite, so will need to call them on Monday and see whether this was a mistake or not. Either way, 2 PFizer + Infection seems to be as good as 3 MRNA jabs for protection this coming wave, so if I can't and have to wait til February it isn't the end of the world, and if it is genunine then it's a Christmas bonus.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
You're able to book, everyone over thirty is now or will be literally tomorrow. I'm 35 and booked yesterday for tuesday.

Get on it asap

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Out of curiosity: how mich difference is there between the South African summer and winter? Since SA is at late spring, I wonder if Omicron will behave significantly worse in northern winter countries.
Obviously, this stupid disease is highly seasonal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cant cook creole bream posted:

Out of curiosity: how mich difference is there between the South African summer and winter? Since SA is at late spring, I wonder if Omicron will behave significantly worse in northern winter countries.

Johannesburg isn’t southern California nice, but it’s not that far off.

San Jose is a decent comparison.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

There's only like 20 degrees difference between summer and winter IIRC, but their waves do seem to line up with winter other than the first one

:rolleyes:
Apr 2, 2002

Fritz the Horse posted:

wait what.

are you scolding this thread for "going to brunch" (who the gently caress is saying that??) and not taking the pandemic seriously while at the same time justifying it's okay for you to go Disneyland because you didn't use the bathrooms there? while claiming you as a leftist know better and at the same time talking about how you're a small-business owner?

come the gently caress on

edit: this is like taintrunner "im not a landlord" vibes

Counterpoint: a small business owner doing a brunch, then publicly self flagellating during a struggle session calling out insufficient zealotry is -exactly- peak leftism and the only thing that is missing from any of that is a proposal to find every deer in America and forcibly fit them with N95s

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

LionArcher posted:

You just listed a bunch of reasons why people quit that are in fact related to COVID. Also, until I worked for myself, all my jobs were service jobs.

All of which are because they realized during covid that they deserved better? They aren't quitting because of covid but because they realized that they are worth more and deserve better then they get treated. Congrats I work a loving service job to and it's horseshit. No one should treat people how service people get treated, and I loving love that I can't even charge people that attempt to assault me as ems or intra hospital because I quote

"What could you have done differently to prevent this" is literally healthcare management policy because the customer is always right and it's the employees fault that an anox4 patient beat the loving poo poo out of them or worse. No one deserves to be treated like that from the guy at McDonald's to the people wiping your rear end for you since you apperently justify how you deserve everything but the plebs don't understand.

You don't know poo poo on what your spouting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LionArcher posted:

I “justified”Disneyland by saying it was dumb and not infecting anyone because I was masked the whole time and agreeing to go before news of delta spreading vaccines so fast broke. I’m not going back to Disneyland anytime soon. I’m also not going to weddings or parties or flying on planes or any number of things people on this thread have done and talked about.

Brunch Havers can and do keep it going. I did not.

The corn cob avatar is extremely accurate. Well played.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

This is a good read that doesn't deserve to languish on the last page, teacups with Goofy or no.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mobby_6kl posted:

So what's the acceptable threshold for activities then? I've been to Epcot like 5 years ago and it was almost entirely outdoors IIRC. Seems like this +vaxxed + masked would be a fairly low risk thing to do.

Since there's absolutely no end in sight for this, I don't think it's reasonable to put on hold absolutely everything that isn't completely essential.

It’s totally possible to do things, but if you are going to give jrpg speeches about how humanity deserves to die and how you will enjoy watching it because they are primitive animals that can’t stop going to brunch you yourself should probably not be going to theme parks and baseball games.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://vtdigger.org/letters_to_editor/no-covid-vaccines-for-kinship-foster-children/

This is hosed.

While the above link is a opinion piece and I can't find the evidence (one way or another) on the Vermont Department of Children and Families (DCF) web site on immunizaion authority, based on other anecdotal stories I've heard over the years in regards to giving the parents sole authority to vaccinate or not, I'm inclined to believe what the author is saying as true.

So in Vermont if you're a grandparent who is fostering your grandchildren full time, you cannot get them Covid vaccinations to protect themselves or you as the foster parent.

The author claims this is untrue in other states where, since foster kids are under the authority of the state's DCF, foster parents could make this decision. Anyone know if this claim in other states is true?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
As a practical matter, who’s checking if a guardian walks into a pharmacy with a kid?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

FYI, if you need a NAAT or PCR test in the US for travel, apparently many labs (e.g. Quest Diagnostics) are now quoting 3-5 day turnaround for PCR tests. The best bet seems to be Walgreens' ID Now test (which is NAAT), but depending on where you are you may need to book an appointment several days in advance.

It boggles the mind that there are test shortages/capacity issues 18+ months into the pandemic but here we are.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Platystemon posted:

As a practical matter, who’s checking if a guardian walks into a pharmacy with a kid?

In most cases, probably no one. The linked letter specifically mentioned grandparents aged 65+ with their 5-11 year old grandchildren.

My bet is that the letter was prompted by the writer's personal experience with a gatekeeping pharmacist, and that this is not indicative of any sort of widespread problem.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

UCS Hellmaker posted:

All of which are because they realized during covid that they deserved better? They aren't quitting because of covid but because they realized that they are worth more and deserve better then they get treated. Congrats I work a loving service job to and it's horseshit. No one should treat people how service people get treated, and I loving love that I can't even charge people that attempt to assault me as ems or intra hospital because I quote

"What could you have done differently to prevent this" is literally healthcare management policy because the customer is always right and it's the employees fault that an anox4 patient beat the loving poo poo out of them or worse. No one deserves to be treated like that from the guy at McDonald's to the people wiping your rear end for you since you apperently justify how you deserve everything but the plebs don't understand.

You don't know poo poo on what your spouting.

COVID has created an atmosphere where people have treated others far more poorly than they should. Because they were stuck Inside with people they don’t really like. Because their “freedom” was vaguely inconvenienced. Because they realized their homes are kind of miserable. Because they realized they can’t handle working from home while two kids run around. So then when they go out and treat service workers like poo poo, of course workers realized they deserve better. (And they always have).

Not to mention plenty of people got Covid and got over it, but as we know with long Covid, it’s made a lot of people stupider, and we’ve lost a ton of service workers who have died from it. Cascading effects and all that. But how people treated each other, did get drastically worse when Covid started and continued on.

But again, while it sucks you do work in the service industry during all of this, being aggressive and hostile to me doesn’t make my points about “why” wrong, or not make my knowledge of the service industry not valid.

I’m saying your frustrations are valid, but if you don’t get that this does all relate to COVID, you’re focusing too much on the tree and not seeing the forest.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Literally nobody asked anything about me when I took my kids for 1st and 2nd shot. I did need to sign a consent form and fill out the paperwork, so there was probably something in there about me being legally authorized, I guess? If they submit anything to my insurance I guess they'll check, too.

A friend of my son's mostly lives with her grandparents, and they had no friction either.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LionArcher posted:

Not to mention plenty of people got Covid and got over it, but as we know with long Covid, it’s made a lot of people stupider

I feel like you need to be deep into some weird eugenics rabbit hole to count a study that showed a 0.46 point drop in IQ for unhospitalized people with covid as some sort of epidemic of idiots. IQ scores vary by more than that depending if you eat a good lunch before the test.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like you need to be deep into some weird eugenics rabbit hole to count a study that showed a 0.46 point drop in IQ for unhospitalized people with covid as some sort of epidemic of idiots. IQ scores vary by more than that depending if you eat a good lunch before the test.

If you look at what I posted and are trying to gotcha into I’m talking about eugenics, that’s obviously you being disingenuous at best.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LionArcher posted:

If you look at what I posted and are trying to gotcha into I’m talking about eugenics, that’s obviously you being disingenuous at best.

What is the basis of your claim "long covid has made a lot of people stupider"? Is the idea that less than a single point IQ drop makes a person "stupid"?

Even the estimate that people who go on ventilators, when compared to similar aged people who did not get covid have 7 less IQ points. Is a pretty thin hook to hang "covid makes you stupid" on. Since most people with covid do not go on ventilators and the weird comparison point has a million confounding factors. But even if it was 100% directly true a small number of people dropping 7 points on an IQ test after a serious injury is a weird thing to translate into some "they are stupid idiots now" in a way that would effect society.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

eXXon posted:

FYI, if you need a NAAT or PCR test in the US for travel, apparently many labs (e.g. Quest Diagnostics) are now quoting 3-5 day turnaround for PCR tests. The best bet seems to be Walgreens' ID Now test (which is NAAT), but depending on where you are you may need to book an appointment several days in advance.

It boggles the mind that there are test shortages/capacity issues 18+ months into the pandemic but here we are.

CVS offers rapid-result PCR tests and says "results within hours" and "accepted for most travel". That's my plan for my upcoming trip to London.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 12, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What is the basis of your claim "long covid has made a lot of people stupider"? Is the idea that less than a single point IQ drop makes a person "stupid"?

Even the estimate that people who go on ventilators, when compared to similar aged people who did not get covid have 7 less IQ points. Is a pretty thin hook to hang "covid makes you stupid" on. Since most people with covid do not go on ventilators and the weird comparison point has a million confounding factors. But even if it was 100% directly true a small number of people dropping 7 points on an IQ test after a serious injury is a weird thing to translate into some "they are stupid idiots now" in a way that would effect society.

Stupid is not just IQ. Brain fog is a real and common side effect. Stupider can be cannot think things through clearly, not just, can’t do math puzzles as fast as before.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Slow News Day posted:

CVS offers rapid-result PCR tests and says "results within hours" and "accepted for most travel". That's my plan for my upcoming trip to London.

It must be regional because I only see rapid antigen tests anywhere near me (New Jersey).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LionArcher posted:

Stupid is not just IQ. Brain fog is a real and common side effect. Stupider can be cannot think things through clearly, not just, can’t do math puzzles as fast as before.

So basically "source: dude just trust me" on the claim that ""long covid has made a lot of people stupider""

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I really don’t give a poo poo it anyone goes to Disneyland at this point, it’s pointless to get mad at individuals trying to wring some enjoyment out of life. It is, however, very funny to doom post and froth at the mouth about “brunch havers” while spending days at the Brunchiest Place On Earth and complaining that the Mickey ears aren’t high quality anymore

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So basically "source: dude just trust me" on the claim that ""long covid has made a lot of people stupider""

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robert...sh=f2bda642113a

And that was 5 seconds of googling. Like, when people say this thread is bad, it’s this poo poo. It was common knowledge that a ton of people who had mild cases of COVID had negative effects from it, such as brain fog, and then I have two posters arguing with me about it and relating it to eugenics like they’re “well actually debate dweebs.”. And just like somebody pulling up the fact that out of two years I went to Disneyland as a way of discrediting my points about brunch and returning to normal. If it is an obvious if that semantic garbage, you’re kidding yourself.

And you’re right, most of the people in this thread aren’t talking about brunch. But they have been talking about going to weddings etc. And like I said, when I agreed to go to Disneyland, it was after everyone was vaccinated, but before the news about Delta being here Broke. It’s not the same at all.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 12, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Rust Martialis posted:

Evidently you are unaware that Denmark announced the reimposition of restrictions on 8 November.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-08/denmark-will-bring-back-some-restrictions-as-covid-19-cases-soar

Alert readers will note that this was well before the discovery of omicron. Does "proactive" mean the poster thinks governments should have introduced strict lockdowns to protect us from a virus that didn't exist yet?

What an interesting fantasy world you live in.

We're not talking about "restrictions", alert reader. By the time you were posting about how Denmark could afford to wait to lockdown, we had already sequenced the variant, knew it was descendant from alpha and gamma, and it was likely that the incubation period would revert back to the pre-delta. We also knew that it was heavily mutated and vaccine evasion was likely. All these things combined to make it very clear that waiting was a bad idea, and we now know for a fact that it is a bad idea - at least for Denmark. Covid spreading so easily throughout the country can lead to hospitals being overwhelmed even if most cases don't require hospitalization. Step away from the fantasy world in which past events cannot inform future actions.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

As you're well aware, this is not a 100 percent protection, so the fact that you weren't infecting anyone was random chance. Would you say that you have the moral high ground over someone who did the same security precautions and ended up unlucky enough to catch it anyway? Also, you have to consider the externalities. Just because you weren't personally involved in an infection, it might have happened indirectly. If you hadn't sat on a ride, it might have been a bit more empty, such that some infected person could have prevented sitting next to someone else.
"I regularly go to the doorknop-licking center, but I am always careful not to personally infect anyone and haven't so far. Therefore..."

Not random chance. Fully vaccinated, with a better than N95 mask. There was a chance I could have been infected, but not infecting anybody. (I quarantined after like I said, and took a COVID test after returning home before I interacted).

And not moral high ground. But yes on people trying to drag up once in the last two years where I did something that wasn’t risk averse, versus plenty of people in this thread who have talked poo poo about the “scared people” and other negative poo poo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LionArcher posted:

And you’re right, most of the people in this thread aren’t talking about brunch. But they have been talking about going to weddings etc. And like I said, when I agreed to go to Disneyland, it was after everyone was vaccinated, but before the news about Delta being here Broke. It’s not the same at all.

You should probably shut the gently caress up about this, your vacation isn't morally superior to any of that other poo poo, and unless you're going to point out specific posts and posters this is counterproductive and lovely. Get out if you can't go five posts without implying that you're somehow morally superior to everyone else in the thread. Anyway there's a 24 hour probe in the queue for you pending admin approval but you can stop posting anytime and get a head start on that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LionArcher posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robert...sh=f2bda642113a

And that was 5 seconds of googling. Like, when people say this thread is bad, it’s this poo poo. It was common knowledge that a ton of people who had mild cases of COVID had negative effects from it, such as brain fog, and then I have two posters arguing with me about it and relating it to eugenics like they’re “well actually debate dweebs.”. And just like somebody pulling up the fact that out of two years I went to Disneyland as a way of discrediting my points about brunch and returning to normal. If it is an obvious if that semantic garbage, you’re kidding yourself.

That link is an awful long way from your claim that "long covid has made a lot of people stupider" in a way that is affecting retail workers (presumably by making them want to quit by having to deal with dumb dumbs? or because the retail workers are too stupid now?)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That link is an awful long way from your claim that "long covid has made a lot of people stupider" in a way that is affecting retail workers (presumably by making them want to quit by having to deal with dumb dumbs? or because the retail workers are too stupid now?)

It’s obvious I meant the general public is treating the service workers like poo poo because of brain fog, not the service workers having it.

I’m sure there’s no way of actually checking this, but I suspect because service jobs are so brutal, service workers are more likely to have just died from Covid because they’re more likely to not go to a hospital or a doctor because they can’t afford it and/or can’t take the time off, so their symptoms get much much worse.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

You should probably shut the gently caress up about this, your vacation isn't morally superior to any of that other poo poo, and unless you're going to point out specific posts and posters this is counterproductive and lovely. Get out if you can't go five posts without implying that you're somehow morally superior to everyone else in the thread. Anyway there's a 24 hour probe in the queue for you pending admin approval but you can stop posting anytime and get a head start on that.

Fine. I’ll stop. I will note I never said I was morally superior though. (Nor do I think that) People framed it that way when I in fact was just saying a single action I took was both stupid but actually lower risk than a lot of other behaviors, because of the privilege I have and precautions I took.

I also while disagreeing with others, but not in as aggressive manners as others took with me. That’s an odd reason for getting a probe.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Long-term cognitive impairment as a result of Covid-19 wouldn't be very surprising. Similar effects have been observed in recovered flu patients. And yet we don't shut down the entire country whenever there's a flu epidemic.