Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Mendrian posted:

The steam release is never coming is it.

I'm not mad. It's a massive under taking. But I think it's interesting that I'm now waiting on two versions of this game to finish development.

I think it'll be here sooner than I originally anticipated, watching the occasional video updates. Not sure how long the recent Meph drama and the subsequent art redo-redo is going to push things back, but I've been pretty pleased with how it all seems to be coming along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
see, this poo poo is why Toady never wanted to work with anyone besides his brother, humans suck.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Alehkhs posted:

I think it'll be here sooner than I originally anticipated, watching the occasional video updates. Not sure how long the recent Meph drama and the subsequent art redo-redo is going to push things back, but I've been pretty pleased with how it all seems to be coming along.

what's this?
e: oh. :stare:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174112.msg8331428#msg8331428

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
oof :(

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I don't really understand that post? What exactly did he do?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

packetmantis posted:

I don't really understand that post? What exactly did he do?

From poking around the forums

Before Meph got hired, he had a free tileset that spruced up the game appearance as part of a mod for players. That included a mishmash of google image searched sprites from some existing games.

After he got hired, they started work on a totally new tileset, which didn't reference the old free one. Basically Meph's job was turning creatures into skeletons or statues or whatever.

Recently, some people got upset about the fact that the old free one had sprites from existing games in it, and got very upset. The company decided that it was best to be cautious, and get rid of Meph entirely.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 12, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

some real bullshit imo. overly cautious. releasing a modpack one time with some copyrighted sprites should, legally speaking, have gently caress all to do with any work done professionally

but then i'm not sure it ever made much sense to employ meph as a graphics guy rather than a content guy, given that masterwork is 99% about elaborating on the fortress mode economy and creature/sapient being variety rather than graphics

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
:nallears: That's dumb as hell.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I came in here because I was like "man I haven't checked on this in a while" and now I wish I hadn't. So loving dumb.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

packetmantis posted:

Ah, but thats life.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Based on the last few interviews, it seems like the UI and stuff was much farther behind than the sprites and graphics. Ultimately I don't think this will delay the steam version. We should expect it by 2025.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Losing [your job / months of progress] is fun!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I looked through some of the posts, and while I think the reaction was way overblown I think there was a real issue here. The graphics sets credited a few people as if it were an exhaustive list (citing in particular those whose work was being legally used per license terms) while mixing in things like sprites from Lufia II badly resized to fit or other peoples' stuff from google images. Since the credits were usually four people plus meph it was definitely implying a lot of credit to meph for work that was not their own.
That said they always credited me when they used my stuff so that's nice anyway.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It was a free mod from 5 years ago published on the forums of an obscure video game, who cares about accurate crediting.

There are less discerning, bigger mods published on Nexus every minute.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

steinrokkan posted:

It was a free mod from 5 years ago published on the forums of an obscure video game, who cares about accurate crediting.

Yeah but none of those nexus mod authors are being hired to make TES6 or whatever. I can see why, when you're making an actual commercial product, you'd want to distance yourself from that.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

i once modded the Starbound forums and let me tell you, there is nobody more more pedantic and annoying than video game modders

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This is probably less their own decision and more them acting on the advice of their legal council, protecting them from a potential lawsuit. The important question isn't if there is any copyright infringement, but whether a third party could believably argue that there is, leading into a huge legal mess that would cost a tone of time and money.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Eh I think it's a pretty poo poo situation. Mods are how some people learn about coding and game design. It's basically fan fiction. Correct attribution would be nice but expecting professional attribution from mod authors is a bit of a stretch. Asking someone still literally trying to learn how making mods even works to behave as if they are a professional programmer is stupid. Getting a job shouldn't require you to retroactively become perfect.

There were other ways to distance themselves from the unattributed work.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Grevlek posted:

Based on the last few interviews, it seems like the UI and stuff was much farther behind than the sprites and graphics. Ultimately I don't think this will delay the steam version. We should expect it by 2025.

I'm pretty optimistic about a 2022 release, from what I've gathered so far they really haven't hit any major snags along the way and stuff that they expected to get hung up on are already over and done with.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Pakled posted:

Yeah but none of those nexus mod authors are being hired to make TES6 or whatever. I can see why, when you're making an actual commercial product, you'd want to distance yourself from that.

A lot of mod authors do infact get hired by game companies if there mod is particularly notable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It seems like a lot of what he was doing was brute force combinatorial stuff, like taking an existing tiger or snake sprite from the main artist, drawing over it as a skeleton, then making a couple of intermediate variations so there'd be a skeleton, zombie, and misc undead version of a tiger or snake.

Or doing recolors to make statue version of existing creatures, etc.

So a lot of tedious but low skill floor stuff.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

Well, the thing is they probably got the job based in part on an inflated view of their capabilities, since they were essentially claiming credit for others' work. And this isn't 5 years ago, I'm seeing obvious issues in a thread from 2019 and I haven't dug in further. I'm not saying they were malicious or anything like that, and I was much more viscerally bothered by the way it was pointed out, but it's still a real issue. On the other hand this is something kitfox should probably have been aware of from the start, since I could pretty quickly spot some issues in the first set I glanced at.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mendrian posted:

Eh I think it's a pretty poo poo situation. Mods are how some people learn about coding and game design. It's basically fan fiction. Correct attribution would be nice but expecting professional attribution from mod authors is a bit of a stretch. Asking someone still literally trying to learn how making mods even works to behave as if they are a professional programmer is stupid. Getting a job shouldn't require you to retroactively become perfect.

There were other ways to distance themselves from the unattributed work.

Yeah, it's like expecting somebody to get fired from writing for a newspaper / magazine because they failed to disclose the sources of content made for an entry in a Photoshop Phriday thread or for illustrations in a CYOA thread.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

this is very much about toady limiting risk to his own IP (or his lawyers advising him to do it, take your pick) and not anything else

and that is absolutely OK

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, it's like expecting somebody to get fired from writing for a newspaper / magazine because they failed to disclose the sources of content made for an entry in a Photoshop Phriday thread or for illustrations in a CYOA thread.

We scoff now but I have no doubt that someone vengeful enough will push this into becoming case law.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not sure what that has to do with case law. You can get fired for liking the color blue.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

packetmantis posted:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I can definitely see the unspoken angle that Meph's actual capacity as an artist was greatly overestimated by the quality of his mod so he just couldn't keep up with the pace expected of him as a full time employee. It may not entirely be IP bullshit.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't blame them for doing it but the mod guy who whined about it is pretty cringe and exactly what i expect from modders

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

eonwe posted:

I don't blame them for doing it but the mod guy who whined about it is pretty cringe and exactly what i expect from modders

This is far more cringe than Meph's statement. He was about as professional as you could possibly expect about it, and it's hard for me to find anything in his post that would qualify as whining even to the most uncharitable reader.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

I can definitely see the unspoken angle that Meph's actual capacity as an artist was greatly overestimated by the quality of his mod so he just couldn't keep up with the pace expected of him as a full time employee. It may not entirely be IP bullshit.

like i said, meph being hired as a graphics guy never made any sense at all. he's a content modder but toady doesn't want anyone to touch content programming other than himself, so there's no role on the project for someone like meph really. and even his content is...uneven. good adjustments and additions to fortress mode economy, interesting alt-race fortress modes like humans and orcs, but also unbearably horny succubus poo poo

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 13, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

From the looks of it this all came to light due to Meph continuing to work on the original plagiarized tileset. One of that tileset's collaborators, Vettlingr, didn't found out and didn't want his own works that were included (with permission) to be associate with plagiarism. There is then a very long thread where Meph has to have why this was a bad thing explained to him a few too many times, before he put out the statement on the main steam thread.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zurai posted:

This is far more cringe than Meph's statement. He was about as professional as you could possibly expect about it, and it's hard for me to find anything in his post that would qualify as whining even to the most uncharitable reader.

They meant the person who put Meph on public blast and started the whole thing, not Meph.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jazerus posted:

like i said, meph being hired as a graphics guy never made any sense at all. he's a content modder but toady doesn't want anyone to touch content programming other than himself, so there's no role on the project for someone like meph really. and even his content is...uneven. good adjustments and additions to fortress mode economy, interesting alt-race fortress modes like humans and orcs, but also unbearably horny succubus poo poo

Pretty sure the succubus race was one of the things in masterwork, along with... Maybe two of the other races? That were added by community members. For a while I'm pretty sure he said that if you had a fully featured race that didn't break poo poo and wouldn't require him to do a ton of work fixing it, he would add it in.

Don't quote me though, this is me vaguely remembering stuff from when I played masterwork last, half a decade ago.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I really liked that necromancer mod he published quite a lot but he did like one and a half iterations of it and then dropped it forever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sucks that the necromancer mod was dropped, I really liked that :smith:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Now you can be a necromancer in adventure mode and force your undead severed hands minions to build you a town.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Meph mod had a building that would take the appropriate amount of inputs and make a full set of clothing or armor and I truly wish that had been added into the base game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l0HB8Qb2Cw

ZOOMING IN on the embark screen. Also it looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
:frogsiren: It's a new embark screen :frogsiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l0HB8Qb2Cw