Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Just wait until Bakugo discovers Samyang Hot Chicken 2x Spicy instant ramen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

He should wear a beer helmet with hot sauce instead.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

He carries a Carolina Reaper in a small "In Case Of Emergencies" arboretum

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Lol Monoma would lose his poo poo if he found out Aoyama was the reason his class almost died. Somehow I don't see that coming up, though. Unless 1A decides to keep this underwraps and it comes out to everyone during the last battle.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

You monsters, now i want hot wings

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1011905

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-337/chapter/23670?action=read

I like when they are asked to leave, but Shoto points out that they are the main characters so naw.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think it's a coincidence that the panel where AFO talks about tossing aside a cheap lighter is the same panel that focuses on Shigaraki and Spinner.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

TheHan posted:

Hold on wait so the anti-pants making GBS threads belt isn't even a gift from All for One? Does he even know that his double agent has a quirk that makes him poo poo his pants.

After reading this week's Vigilantes, I believe that he not only knows, and but he's thrilled about it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
"Say your 100-yen lighter shits its pants. What would you do?"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

you (a fool, a rube): opinions about the story and horikoshi's writing abilities

me (brilliant, enlightened): invisible girl's a cutie

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

you (a fool, a rube): opinions about the story and horikoshi's writing abilities

me (brilliant, enlightened): invisible girl's a cutie

You could see her collarbones

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the panel where AFO talks about tossing aside a cheap lighter is the same panel that focuses on Shigaraki and Spinner.

Also the use of the phrase "tossing aside a cheap lighter" when he's talking directly to Dabi.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I like that, that cheese became important and relevant.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

After reading this week's Vigilantes, I believe that he not only knows, and but he's thrilled about it

Yeah, right? AFO doesn't give a poo poo, and at worst, he might even find it funny.

oh jay posted:

You could see her collarbones

She's got a real nice pair of bone structure

I'm waiting for everything to finally blow over, and them one of them offhandedly mentions they actually saw her body for a second, and then she dies of embarassment.

e:

Nuebot posted:

I like that, that cheese became important and relevant.

I AM THE CHEESE. I AM THE MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTER IN THE SHOW.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 13, 2021

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Character Rankings from the next Popularity Poll:

1. Todoroki
2. Bakugo
11. Some new character from a movie
18. Mineta
24. Deku's Freckles
32. Aoyama's Cheese
49. An incredibly racist nomu made from Native's corpse
50. Mirko

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Considering how Stain was written, I'm going to assume AFO doesn't see anyone as worthy except for OFA and baby OFA because absolutism is easier to write characters around.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

DizzyBum posted:

I AM THE CHEESE. I AM THE MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTER IN THE SHOW.

But is he better than the Sugar Man and the Grape Juice combined?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tetrabor posted:

Considering how Stain was written, I'm going to assume AFO doesn't see anyone as worthy except for OFA and baby OFA because absolutism is easier to write characters around.

I think it's mostly because he's got this big "I Win" button that works on everyone except Deku who has the one quirk he can't control (and sort of Stars and Stripes, the only other quirk he was really interested in.) I think it makes sense that he'd find everyone else kind of boring and replaceable. Like I don't think it's really like a "worthy" thing, but more like there's one thing he inexplicably can't have so that's the thing he wants and because it's something he actually has to put real effort into it's interesting to him.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/327/my-hero-academia-chapter-338

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Glad there are no hard feelings; gotta forgive the guy who, whatever his circumstances, nearly got you and everyone else murdered twice. No emotional betrayal felt by anyone! Pragmatism is one thing, but, what the gently caress is Iida on about? No, you are not responsible for this. Bakugo's extremely right.

What a waste.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
How, indeed.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Intellectually I know that the forgiveness thing is the right direction, but emotionally I'm not feeling this at all. All the traitor stuff has been retroactive stuff, all in hindsight. There's just no conflict here, not even a token chapter where Aoyama is meaningfully against the rest of the students. It really feels like this traitor reveal is more convenient than anything else, a way to further expedite the end of the story.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Best girl is back I see.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

hiddenriverninja posted:

they won't kiss; the sequel series will show Deku married to Hatsume

Looks like we're on our way!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Jen X posted:

Glad there are no hard feelings; gotta forgive the guy who, whatever his circumstances, nearly got you and everyone else murdered twice. No emotional betrayal felt by anyone! Pragmatism is one thing, but, what the gently caress is Iida on about? No, you are not responsible for this. Bakugo's extremely right.

What a waste.

We did get Hagakure laying into him, it's not like nobody is upset. They're just putting that aside after learning about the context. Also, Midoriya is right that he did save Tokoyami in the forest. Besides, if you can't forgive a child trying to protect his parent who can you forgive?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It's more of a presentation problem really. A lot of things just seem... off. The whole class being present during an interrogation for some reason, the complete lack of emotional response from most of the class, etc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
reminiscent of Fairy Tail where everything is just giant whacks of emotional catharsis with no effort put into the buildup

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I completely forgot Koda existed until he was there in that last big group shot with everyone looking pissed.

Also, gotta agree that this feels too abrupt. We JUST found out Aoyama is the traitor, Midoriya found out about it in the same chapter, and one or two chapters later, it's already forgiven. There's no arc here. Things are just happening. A better way to do it might have been to have the readers find out about Aoyama being a traitor awhile ago (like during the fakeout chapter with the cheese), so we could have the tension of not knowing what information he's feeding to the enemy or why. Even if all the traitor stuff was mostly happening in the background or was only implied, it'd still give people time to have an emotional reaction other than "Huh???"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's not great

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

I completely forgot Koda existed until he was there in that last big group shot with everyone looking pissed.

first of all how dare you

second of all bakugo and tokoyami have the exact same expression on that page and it's very distracting

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CuwiKhons posted:

Also, gotta agree that this feels too abrupt. We JUST found out Aoyama is the traitor, Midoriya found out about it in the same chapter, and one or two chapters later, it's already forgiven. There's no arc here. Things are just happening. A better way to do it might have been to have the readers find out about Aoyama being a traitor awhile ago (like during the fakeout chapter with the cheese), so we could have the tension of not knowing what information he's feeding to the enemy or why. Even if all the traitor stuff was mostly happening in the background or was only implied, it'd still give people time to have an emotional reaction other than "Huh???"

THis is how every arc since the war has felt like to me, like we're just scrambling to hit all the points on the author's outline without any of the actual story telling for the in between.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Staltran posted:

It's more of a presentation problem really. A lot of things just seem... off. The whole class being present during an interrogation for some reason, the complete lack of emotional response from most of the class, etc.

That’s been a hallmark of this series for 200 chapters though

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Intellectually I know that the forgiveness thing is the right direction, but emotionally I'm not feeling this at all. All the traitor stuff has been retroactive stuff, all in hindsight. There's just no conflict here, not even a token chapter where Aoyama is meaningfully against the rest of the students. It really feels like this traitor reveal is more convenient than anything else, a way to further expedite the end of the story.

:yeah:

Deku getting blown up and crushed under Hatsume's chest again while still having his dumb determined face was pretty funny, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think on some level Horikoshi doesn’t entirely get people and writes them as living platitudes rather than beings that feel organic a lot of the time

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
this didn't seem particularly abrupt to me? I'm not sure how many chapters you want to spend on everyone reacting and then the obvious idea to have Aoyama feed info to AFO.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the whole thing is just not well-constructed. you're right insofar this is probably about the best a middling plot could be done

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think on some level Horikoshi doesn’t entirely get people and writes them as living platitudes rather than beings that feel organic a lot of the time

i disagree this is a problem unique to horikoshi, or even necessarily a problem at all - most shounen needs a certain amount of simplicity in its characters to make room for the punching. but there's too many characters here and very few of them have personalities that couldn't be summed up in a single word, and this has been the case for years with no end in sight

and we're increasingly getting moments where even those one-word personalities don't apply and the cast exists as nothing more than determined-looking headshots on splash pages, they're effectively interchangeable

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Hiding information from the reader that the entire cast just learned is such a lazy way to build suspense.

I am almost getting the feeling that the story was meant to go in a different direction with the solitary hero Deku arc. All of a sudden we saw Star show up and die and now we're back into typical 'band together and win' shonen territory.

The final battle will be something cliche like, 'All For One has many powerful quirks, but together we have more quirks than he does!' Followed by a big punch.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Aoyama is the coolest guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

i disagree this is a problem unique to horikoshi, or even necessarily a problem at all - most shounen needs a certain amount of simplicity in its characters to make room for the punching. but there's too many characters here and very few of them have personalities that couldn't be summed up in a single word, and this has been the case for years with no end in sight

and we're increasingly getting moments where even those one-word personalities don't apply and the cast exists as nothing more than determined-looking headshots on splash pages, they're effectively interchangeable

There's just too many loving characters in the central cast, this has been a problem for yeeears