Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Vashro posted:

ok so I got this one instead and this time oing to get their store card discount my high rear end didnt do before https://www.microcenter.com/product/637901/asus-rog-strix-ga15-gaming-pc-platinum-collection

I honestly think you'd be better off with the previous one, the one here has a dogshit case for cooling and 32GB of RAM that you don't need for the privilege of $200 more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
yeah but the RAM is faster and there's 1.5tb more storage

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ram being faster is like a twenty ish dollar comparative value, a TB HDD is like well under fifty bucks.

when it comes to bang for buck in terms of game performance it goes GPU, CPU, RAM. GPU is most important by a lot and ages quickest, CPU is less important (and will be upgraded less frequently typically) but still very important and other than the kind of unusual situation you were in RAM only matters as a floor. so spending a ton on anything but GPU is kind of a poor price/performance strategy. with that said the market is that bad so up to you.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It might actually perform worse. IIRC that case is so bad that the components are prone to thermally throttling.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yeah I agree other one was the better deal.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

lol don't buy computer parts high man. Like a moth to a flame, you will float towards the thing with the most blinky lights and glowing RGB doohickeys. The sales associates will have you in the palms of their hands as you stare at the constantly changing unicorn vomit drooling about how good it must taste.

"it's okay, I'll just sell the parts and get cheaper ones"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0829DZH2W

How is this to replace a small 500gb Samsung 970 Evo?

I, unfortunately, have a motherboard that seems to use SATA 1/2 to use the m.2 slot in the first place, which is a bummer.

The read/write speeds seem almost comparable to samsung, and the price is sub $200 for 2TB, which is really what I'm looking for.

I mostly just game off it, or other drives on the computer. (usually off regular SSDs and install here if I want to "really" ensure the game or app has enough speed)

On a separate note: Because of my sata issues, is there a decent PCIE card to get I could get so I could plug in my 970 evo after either cloning or reinstalling windows to it?

edit: there's also this but it's much slower in comparison: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091BG4HDW

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0829DZH2W

How is this to replace a small 500gb Samsung 970 Evo?

I, unfortunately, have a motherboard that seems to use SATA 1/2 to use the m.2 slot in the first place, which is a bummer.

The read/write speeds seem almost comparable to samsung, and the price is sub $200 for 2TB, which is really what I'm looking for.

I mostly just game off it, or other drives on the computer. (usually off regular SSDs and install here if I want to "really" ensure the game or app has enough speed)

On a separate note: Because of my sata issues, is there a decent PCIE card to get I could get so I could plug in my 970 evo after either cloning or reinstalling windows to it?

edit: there's also this but it's much slower in comparison: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091BG4HDW

Can you post your MB? Many of the more modern boards only disable sata ports when the M.2 drive is of the sata variety, and not with NVMEs.

A 2.5" is a much better buy if you already have a 970.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Many B550 motherboards disable two of their SATA ports when using an NVMe in the chipset m.2 port. The CPU m.2 port is safe from this though, and that's the port you should use for your boot drive anyway. So make sure you don't have a second m.2 port somewhere that won't disable your SATA ports if you need all of those. I just let the SATA ports be disabled on mine, personally. Not like I need all six ports anyway.

edit: The Rocket Q is a perfectly fine game drive. The write speeds are good for a QLC since a quarter of the drive is SLC cache. Or in plain english: as long as you aren't writing anything that's more than 500GB at once, it will be zippy when it comes to file copies, decompression, steam game decryption, etc. And for game load times, it's as fast as any other NVMe. The Rocket Q's biggest downside is the "low" endurance rating of 530TB, which you probably won't run into for a very long time with your use case. Like, decades, even. I'd just avoid using that drive for nvidia instant replay caching and that kind of stuff, if possible.

edit 2: I don't know much about the PCIe to NVMe cards honestly. I'd just get whatever's cheap and has decent reviews, like this thing. This seems like a pretty hard accessory to gently caress up.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 10, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Like, decades, even. I'd just avoid using that drive for nvidia instant replay caching and that kind of stuff, if possible.

What would you recommend for that? My PC has an SN550, a WD Blue STA, and a 1TB HD (either WD or Seagate)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So I don't truthfully understand RAM very well

saw this post on falcodrin discord

Link goes to newegg G.Skill Ripjaws V
https://bit.ly/3DD9lET

with so many factors that go into RAM wondering if anyone can break it down, if there was truth in this statement

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

What would you recommend for that? My PC has an SN550, a WD Blue STA, and a 1TB HD (either WD or Seagate)

I just set my instant replay folder to my 2TB hdd. This is probably unnecessary paranoia, especially since my system drive has a ridiculous 1300TBW endurance rating (though I wonder if Seagate is goosing that number). I record at about 4MB/s. I have.... 94,000 hours of recording time available at that rate. Probably not an issue. Though with some of the drives these days that have 300TBW, you could conceivably use up a good chunk of the drive's endurance on game recording, though it would still take quite a long time (21000 hours of game playing with instant replay constantly on).

I really wish nvidia would adopt AMD's RAM caching feature, where you could set aside some RAM capacity for your instant replay cache. It's not like we're doing anything else with all the memory we have, and it would turn this from an issue where I'm pointlessly worrying into one where I wouldn't have to worry at all.

Alan Smithee posted:

So I don't truthfully understand RAM very well

saw this post on falcodrin discord

Link goes to newegg G.Skill Ripjaws V
https://bit.ly/3DD9lET

with so many factors that go into RAM wondering if anyone can break it down, if there was truth in this statement

I don't know memory very well either, but what I do know is that using very high-clocked DDR4 can actually slow down your system in other unexpected ways. Intel CPUs have to go into higher "gears" to run memory at faster clock speeds, and AMD CPUs have to de-sync their infinity fabric and memory controller clocks to run fast memory (mem clock, fclk, uclk). This can counterintuitively result in slower performance in some scenarios. I wouldn't buy such a high-speed memory kit without looking at actual test results with a system that's similar to your own. Other people may correct me if I'm wrong, but when it comes to practical everyday usage and not extreme overclocking, it's generally considered better to run at sub-4000 speeds and then heavily tighten your timings.

And latency isn't everything with DDR5, like some people seem to think it is. The DDR5 modules that should be on the market right now go up to DDR5-6000, with some that may be a bit higher (DDR5-6200?), and many more such sticks announced and on the way. Timings are rated not as a unit of time, but a unit of clocks. CAS latency of 30 means it takes 30 clocks for the memory controller to access a column, or something like that. DDR5 has other advantages over DDR4 as well, such as dual-channel DIMMs (so two sticks is quad channel), and a whole bunch of other potential advantages. Here's a video that explains some of the improvements that go beyond just speed and timings. That said, it is true that DDR5 right now is slower than optimized, overclocked DDR4. But it won't always be that way, and there are already kits on the horizon that may outperform DDR4 pretty handily.

The other thing is that overclocking DDR is a pain in the rear end, especially if you don't have the right motherboard for it. And it generally only provides small (5% or so) improvements over just a regular set of $75 DDR4-3600 CL16. If you do want to try your hand at overclocking, then getting a b-die set like Or if you want to avoid the hassle and are willing to buy something high-end for a very minor performance gain, you can get these for their out-of-the-box optimized timings and forget about it. Though you're probably not gaining enough over CL16 sticks for the price difference to be worth it.

tl;dr: it's complicated. He's possibly right that those sticks will outperform most of the DDR5 out there, but this probably isn't something that will remain true for long, and there may be better DDR4 sticks to get for practical everyday usage anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 10, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Can you post your MB? Many of the more modern boards only disable sata ports when the M.2 drive is of the sata variety, and not with NVMEs.

A 2.5" is a much better buy if you already have a 970.

I have an MSI B450-A PRO

The 970 is fine but it's 500gb and I want more space since it's so easily full. I have two ssd areas in my pc already taken up by a 500 and 1tb game drives and eventually I'll replace those with 2tb too

I also have two regular drives (5tb/8tb) with space for a third, but sata connector for the bottom slot in my NZXT h500 is tight, since the sata cables aren't very flexible, so I haven't filled it with anything. Also I can't anyway since the m.2 uses my two sata ports anyway

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 10, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looks like you only have the one M.2 slot, and using it disables two SATA ports, like you said.

"SATA5 and SATA6 ports will be unavailable when installing a M.2 device in M.2 slot."
Manual

So if you have 4 SATA drives already, I think you can't use any more SATA ports.

In my experience cloning and replacing a Windows drive isn't a big deal. Though of course you'd need a way of having your PC connected to both at the same time, so I think you'd need to buy an enclosure. Maybe it'd be easier atm to just replace the 500GB SATA SSD. I'm by no means an expert, but my understanding is that you're still not going to see that big a difference in every day use speeds between an NVMe and SATA drive for gaming.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Many B550 motherboards disable two of their SATA ports when using an NVMe in the chipset m.2 port. The CPU m.2 port is safe from this though, and that's the port you should use for your boot drive anyway. So make sure you don't have a second m.2 port somewhere that won't disable your SATA ports if you need all of those. I just let the SATA ports be disabled on mine, personally. Not like I need all six ports anyway.

Follow-on note for people dumb like me: if your motherboard only came with 4 SATA ports, you almost certainly don't have to worry about losing two of them to your M.2 drive. Check the motherboard's online manual before you buy it.

Many of you probably figured that out on your own, but apparently I overthink these things.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 10, 2021

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Another option on many boards, since you probably have a spare pci-e slot, is a pci-e > nvme adapter, like this one by Sabrent. That should be about as fast as a native nvme drive, but it only supports nvme, not sata, m2 drives. That's another option available for expansion, and should be compatible with most systems.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

successfully completed system thanks for all the advice goons :toot:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
noice! 3070 is a baller card, i'm coming up on the one year mark and have been quite pleased.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

CoolCab posted:

noice! 3070 is a baller card, i'm coming up on the one year mark and have been quite pleased.

Is the difference between a GeForce RTX 3070 8GB XC3 BLACK GAMING LHR and a GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB FTW3 ULTRA worth the extra £50?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The 3070ti is only a few percent faster, but runs significantly hotter

It's generally considered not worth it

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

repiv posted:

The 3070ti is only a few percent faster, but runs significantly hotter

It's generally considered not worth it

Thank you.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How does this look for an update to my 2600k system? (note that I have the 3060 already, also I'm not near microcenter so don't give me FOMO about their deals ha.)

I'd use an existing SATA SSD for system and apps, the new NVME as a cache drive for Resolve and Premiere, and then some kind of 3.5" drive in for bulk storage.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($299.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($161.93 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB XC GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($123.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1090.83

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3 GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler (Purchased For $27.26)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $75.00)
Memory: G.Skill FORTIS 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL15 Memory (Purchased For $55.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card (Purchased For $167.00)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Purchased For $54.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS SGX 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $38.00)
Total: $416.26

Everything marked $0 was on-hand already, hence the B250 board since I had the 7400. Not sure why it gives a compatibility warning about the power supply, it fit in the case just fine since Seasonic provides a mounting plate.

Just built this out and holy crap are the Seasonic power cables short. I ended up with a rat’s nest because none of the cables were long enough to route through the back, but since it’s going on the floor it’s not a huge deal.

I bent the motherboard’s CPU pins back into place with a pin and everything seems 💯 so I think I’m in the clear on that.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
there is no cable management police. no one will ever, ever be able to stop you.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

powderific posted:

How does this look for an update to my 2600k system? (note that I have the 3060 already, also I'm not near microcenter so don't give me FOMO about their deals ha.)

I'd use an existing SATA SSD for system and apps, the new NVME as a cache drive for Resolve and Premiere, and then some kind of 3.5" drive in for bulk storage.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($299.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($161.93 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB XC GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($123.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1090.83

Unless I’m ill informed, you’re making a mistake not having the NVME as a boot drive. You should clone the 2.5” to the NVME, then use the NVME as your scratch/cache drive. My understanding is that premier and windows won’t be able to keep up anyway cause they’ll be installed on the slower media.

Otherwise, some nitpicks, nothing big.

You can do much better on the ram.

Back ordered, but 4000Mhz@CL18 + RGB for $155

https://www.adorama.com/ctblm2k16gbl.html

You should be shooting for 3600@CL16. Or higher than 3600.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tip on the ram. It’s been so long since I’ve bought any I’ve completely forgotten what matters.

For the cache drive, maybe this is dumb but my assumption was once premiere or resolve are loaded and running they wouldn’t be reading from the install locations much during use if I set the cache elsewhere? I thought the program was sort of living mostly in the ram but I’m definitely out of my depth there.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

CoolCab posted:

there is no cable management police. no one will ever, ever be able to stop you.

That being said cable extensions are real nice looking and not terribly expensive.

Pandemic gave me enough time to really break out the zip ties and do things right.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Retail pricing for these GPUs is getting more dire by the week

Hard to recommend anyone use the newegg pc builder anymore with prices like these. It was much easier to recommend when you could find 3080s for $850 - $900 there or even the occasional $1200 gigabyte 3080ti eagle or whatever. But these days it's $970 for a 3070 Ti lmao.

However, NZXT's build service has 3080s available currently for $800. You can put together a viable 3080 system for less than $2000:

You could pay $70 extra for an H710 (edit: $90 actually, bleh), which is a case with better airflow. I would not spend extra for the AIO coolers they want to offer. If the Gammax isn't good enough for you (it should be Fine if a little noisy at full load) then I'd buy an aftermarket cooler instead of getting one through this service. They overcharge you a bit for most of the other things, but overall this is still a rather good deal for a prebuilt pc with a 3080. Those usually start at $2400 or $2500, except for those HP Omen deals that we recommended avoiding. Switching to Ryzen costs a good bit more and they make you use a far more expensive water cooler for some reason, even though Zen 3 is more efficient than Rocket Lake. I do not expect them to keep 3080 stock for very long at this price.

edit: And the 3090 is interestingly $1600 through this service. I wonder if these are actual FEs NZXT got their hands on. Also the upgrade to an 850W PSU is free, so definitely do that.

edit 2: I call this a "rather good deal," but the cost of the parts minus the GPU runs you about $780 to $800, with some same-priced better alternatives substituted in (like a P400A instead of the H510 case). That's comes out to being not an ideal price for a 3080, but it's still better than basically any other prebuilt and not too far off what the current retail prices are at these days, so it's an option if you really want one.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 11, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

In other news, who wants a hideous, hilariously overpriced H710? https://nzxt.com/collection/cyberpunk-2077

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

In other news, who wants a hideous, hilariously overpriced H710? https://nzxt.com/collection/cyberpunk-2077

I want it but not for $300

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want it but not for $300

I'd take it if they paid me $300.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Thank you; I wasn't sure whether I could replace the radiator fans as well, but that seems like a good move. Is airflow throughput another area where different manufacturers are measuring/presenting this differently and may not be easy to compare? The Noctua fans look great, I just want to be certain that they'll give me enough airflow (Noctua claims they'll output 60 CFM compared to NZXT's 73 CFM)

Got my Noctuas today, but just one problem: they're several mm thicker than the original fans, so the mounting screws aren't long enough. Finding slightly longer replacement screws feels like too much of a PITA to bother

Still got a 120mm and 140mm mounted in my case though, so that's a slight improvement

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
can you run the screws from inside the fan frame? you might need to get them started with your thumbs and need a thin screwdriver

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Not sure where to ask this question but I feel like I saw it discussed here. Isn't there gonna be a point sooner rather than later that games are gonna require SSD to run properly on PC's, now that current gen consoles use them? Having a discussion with a friend and he maintains that the reason the new UE Matrix demo isn't on PC is because most users don't have SSD drive capability or something...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Laughing Zealot posted:

Not sure where to ask this question but I feel like I saw it discussed here. Isn't there gonna be a point sooner rather than later that games are gonna require SSD to run properly on PC's, now that current gen consoles use them? Having a discussion with a friend and he maintains that the reason the new UE Matrix demo isn't on PC is because most users don't have SSD drive capability or something...

Digital Foundry pointed out somewhere in their hour-long video yesterday (edit: starting somewhere around 36 minutes in) that UE5 is actually very non-demanding when it comes to storage capabilities. LODs aren't streamed in off disk or from memory. They're generated dynamically by Nanite, which means that data streaming demands are actually quite a bit less than other open world games.

And in any case, I very much doubt that most PC gamers don't have SSDs. If anyone is capable of running a modern AAA video game, then there's a very good chance they have an SSD. And besides, Epic already released a UE5 tech demo on PC using most of the same systems in the matrix demo (the biggest omission in the older tech demo on PC was hardware accelerated ray tracing from Lumen, which has nothing to do with storage speed)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 12, 2021

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Retail pricing for these GPUs is getting more dire by the week

Hard to recommend anyone use the newegg pc builder anymore with prices like these. It was much easier to recommend when you could find 3080s for $850 - $900 there or even the occasional $1200 gigabyte 3080ti eagle or whatever. But these days it's $970 for a 3070 Ti lmao.

However, NZXT's build service has 3080s available currently for $800. You can put together a viable 3080 system for less than $2000:

You could pay $70 extra for an H710 (edit: $90 actually, bleh), which is a case with better airflow. I would not spend extra for the AIO coolers they want to offer. If the Gammax isn't good enough for you (it should be Fine if a little noisy at full load) then I'd buy an aftermarket cooler instead of getting one through this service. They overcharge you a bit for most of the other things, but overall this is still a rather good deal for a prebuilt pc with a 3080. Those usually start at $2400 or $2500, except for those HP Omen deals that we recommended avoiding. Switching to Ryzen costs a good bit more and they make you use a far more expensive water cooler for some reason, even though Zen 3 is more efficient than Rocket Lake. I do not expect them to keep 3080 stock for very long at this price.

edit: And the 3090 is interestingly $1600 through this service. I wonder if these are actual FEs NZXT got their hands on. Also the upgrade to an 850W PSU is free, so definitely do that.

edit 2: I call this a "rather good deal," but the cost of the parts minus the GPU runs you about $780 to $800, with some same-priced better alternatives substituted in (like a P400A instead of the H510 case). That's comes out to being not an ideal price for a 3080, but it's still better than basically any other prebuilt and not too far off what the current retail prices are at these days, so it's an option if you really want one.

How does this look? Was unsure of the RAM/Motherboard/case

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Laughing Zealot posted:

Who cares if a SLI'd 3090 Tis with the fastest Intel CPU on the market can run a pretty demo. But if a puny Xbox can run that it's actually impressive.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
so I didn't get a prebuilt and decided I don't need or want anything with a graphics card at all.
appreciate the tips, and OP your OP is very informative thank you.

While I will continue to not play PC games anymore, what I do want is do make a PC who's primary function is to download and play videos on an HDTV. Any advice on what level of motherboard this requires?

also is the Silverstone sg13 a solid case? both as in a solid choice and literally solid, loving the pink

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well, you have the option of an iGPU, or integrated GPU, the kind that comes built into some CPUs. these are a lot less powerful but some of them are relative to nothing pretty good and will be able to push video or whatever, but also play older, low fi or esports games with settings compromises. AMD likes to call them APUs because there clearly wasn't already enough acronyms in this post, a 5600G or something around there.

also not inflated because you can only just game on them and can't meaningfully mine at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

err posted:

How does this look? Was unsure of the RAM/Motherboard/case

The more expensive RAM here is doing nothing for you since it runs at the same speed as the cheaper option. I selected 16GB in my example because I've only run into a single case where 32GB has helped me out in an impactful way, and that's since been patched to be less of a memory hog (Microsoft Flight Simulator). 32GB is more future proof though, and there are some tasks that definitely already require it. It's just that gaming isn't really one of those just yet.

And I still think that they heavily overcharge for that CPU cooler. I think you'd get better thermals if you dropped down to the GAMMAX and selected the H710 case instead. The motherboard also doesn't need to be anything more than the cheapest option here since even that one has all the features you need.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 12, 2021