Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve felt owned many times since I joined the SA forums but never so much as I have since Splify went Krakatoa in here earlier.

Still want to watch the season finale tonight but I’m afraid that by that point I will have totally shrunken down into corncob form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Ya I have to work tomorrow but at least now I can talk about something in the #topic-blockbuster-video slack channel

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Absolutely excellent.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

:yeshaha:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Looking forward to the big Kendall's funeral sequence tonight

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe the funeral will result in everyone realizing what really matters and pulling together as a united family.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Tonight, on a very special episode of Succession…

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

splifyphus posted:

wow, it's a bunch of illiterate zombies. it's a miracle you guys managed to find the post button, or maybe it's just bots? i should have realized i was posting in tviv i guess.

here, let me try to educate you drooling fuckshits.

culture is produced by people whose themselves produced by a culture. the people who produce tv can only use the resources at hand to make their shows. the resources at hand are always around going to be cultural constructs which are also produced by the society that produced the people , so, wait for it:

all art is has a concrete relation to the society that produced it.

this relation can be excavated and productively examined by something that clearly none of you know how to do yet: thinking about the media you consume.

i know i know. why would anybody want to think about television? we watch television as a way to drool into the void without the social stigma of a heroin addiction! tv is for not-thinking! tv fun. fun. happy! fun!

cuz if you drones thought about poo poo for two seconds, you'd realize that narratives are all 'real', shows are 'real', fiction is 'real', and art is 'real'. the question isn't about the ontological status of fiction - if it wasn't 'real' then what the gently caress are you watching and how the gently caress are you watching it? the question is - how is concretely existing fiction related to empirical reality?

howmi doin so far? learned something yet? probably not, because to actually learn anything you'd have to leave the structural position of the pristine disembodied observer that your television spectating practice generates, and actually get your loving neurons dirty.

when you sit down to watch a television show, you are really doing something real! you are participating in a really existing social practice with others. the content you consume has a really existing relation to the really existing society that you're a part of. this society is a highly striated class society, and you're not at the top.

a show like succession is ideological programming. it's telling you this - sure, the people who own your life and are destroying the biosphere are irredeemably dysfunctional scumbags, but you, the objective neutral observer, are better than they are! what succession does is invite you to gawp and point and stare at the spectacle of our broken society from a position that's 'outside' of it, so you can pretend that you're somehow not a part of the charade.

except, there is no outside, and shows like succession are why you stupid fucks are gonna go right back to work on monday morning at the mass extinction event factory, smugly savoring the afterglow of 'at least I'm a better person than those rich pricks'.

but you're not. the actual rich pricks this show is based have way, way too many fun toys to spend their time watching garbage television entertainment for worker drones. they're not better people than you, but they are smarter than you, if only because they know that all the media you consume becomes a part of you, and hatewatching lovely people doing lovely things is something that only lovely people do.

I loving love cocaine

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

One by one the siblings stand at the dais, offering their heartfelt sadness towards the loss of their brother Kendall through tears of grief. Even Greg talks about him as the big brother he never had without a single stammer. Finally, Logan, without a single curse word, manages to bring the house down with the most moving speech a father could ever give a lost son. He turns around, closes the casket, says aloud, "In the end, he was the only one of us who ever truly..." takes a pause, turns to camera, looks directly at audience, and mutters with sadness, "Succeeded." Cut to black. This wasn't the season finale but the series finale. Show never airs again.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 12, 2021

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"Kendall... was a man. He is no longer alive now, and that is sad."

Willa with another banger

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

The Shortest Path posted:

I loving love cocaine

even now, kendall's ghost haunts this very thread

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

The final reveal will show us that it wasn't Kendall that drowned in the pool, it was his previously unseen identical twin. Denkall.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Guze posted:

The final reveal will show us that it wasn't Kendall that drowned in the pool, it was his previously unseen identical twin. Denkall.
Nah you go the Beerfest route. Kendall drowned but his twin Denkall wants to succeed Logan. Also he always wanted to be called Ken so you can call him Ken now.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

The Shortest Path posted:

I loving love cocaine

Sometimes I still think about the S2 premiere when Greg went to get coke for him and he used the phrase, “park coke”

edit: https://youtu.be/y9gIa3Xqycg

lmao at “do you want me to take it back?”

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Mameluke posted:

Looking forward to the big Kendall's funeral sequence tonight

That is going to be Season 4 episode 1. Kendall probably overdoses at the end of the episode.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Kendall will die and Greg is going to look at his watch and venmo request $40,000 to Kendalls phone and accept it off his dead corpse

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

splifyphus posted:

wow, it's a bunch of illiterate zombies. it's a miracle you guys managed to find the post button, or maybe it's just bots? i should have realized i was posting in tviv i guess.

here, let me try to educate you drooling fuckshits.

culture is produced by people whose themselves produced by a culture. the people who produce tv can only use the resources at hand to make their shows. the resources at hand are always around going to be cultural constructs which are also produced by the society that produced the people , so, wait for it:

all art is has a concrete relation to the society that produced it.

this relation can be excavated and productively examined by something that clearly none of you know how to do yet: thinking about the media you consume.

i know i know. why would anybody want to think about television? we watch television as a way to drool into the void without the social stigma of a heroin addiction! tv is for not-thinking! tv fun. fun. happy! fun!

cuz if you drones thought about poo poo for two seconds, you'd realize that narratives are all 'real', shows are 'real', fiction is 'real', and art is 'real'. the question isn't about the ontological status of fiction - if it wasn't 'real' then what the gently caress are you watching and how the gently caress are you watching it? the question is - how is concretely existing fiction related to empirical reality?

howmi doin so far? learned something yet? probably not, because to actually learn anything you'd have to leave the structural position of the pristine disembodied observer that your television spectating practice generates, and actually get your loving neurons dirty.

when you sit down to watch a television show, you are really doing something real! you are participating in a really existing social practice with others. the content you consume has a really existing relation to the really existing society that you're a part of. this society is a highly striated class society, and you're not at the top.

a show like succession is ideological programming. it's telling you this - sure, the people who own your life and are destroying the biosphere are irredeemably dysfunctional scumbags, but you, the objective neutral observer, are better than they are! what succession does is invite you to gawp and point and stare at the spectacle of our broken society from a position that's 'outside' of it, so you can pretend that you're somehow not a part of the charade.

except, there is no outside, and shows like succession are why you stupid fucks are gonna go right back to work on monday morning at the mass extinction event factory, smugly savoring the afterglow of 'at least I'm a better person than those rich pricks'.

but you're not. the actual rich pricks this show is based have way, way too many fun toys to spend their time watching garbage television entertainment for worker drones. they're not better people than you, but they are smarter than you, if only because they know that all the media you consume becomes a part of you, and hatewatching lovely people doing lovely things is something that only lovely people do.

Is that you Jeremy Strong?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
kendal alive

doesnt seem like i missed anything the past week in this thread

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kieran Culkin facial expressions A+++ as usual

Logan continues to be the worst dad

Please be ok Kendall. I don’t like you but you don’t deserve to be the only one going down

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Of course they play Monopoly. :allears:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

packetmantis posted:

Of course they play Monopoly. :allears:

and cheat heavily

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
HOLY poo poo CONNOR

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

gently caress it forever :dance:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cheating is part of Monopoly.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Humphrey is better than the duchess greg comon

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Camerawork is really striking in this ep, digging it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Greg juggling two women sat either side of him like an actual sitcom character

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Hans Christian Anderfuck

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Mover posted:

Camerawork is really striking in this ep, digging it

The staff taking out the trash in the background of the Shiv/Ken/Roman chat? Glorious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“I have some beef with Greenpeace.”

I love that they basically gave Greg Nicolas Braun’s irl dating life these past few episodes

“a sexual pervert” oh my god

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Oh god I agree with roman on the homicide

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is a Lackey Slack! :lol:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Love the symbolism of the shot of Logan's helicopter flying over a cross, looking down on all the other palaces below with a look of vague boredom and irritation

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Shiv’s evil face :staredog:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
lol at Logan rejecting both of Roman's proffered helping hands getting out of the boat

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I want a whole episode of Shiv and Roman owning each other.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All I can think of now is how annoying Jeremy Strong must have been while filming this scene lol

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mirotic posted:

The staff taking out the trash in the background of the Shiv/Ken/Roman chat? Glorious.

:discourse:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Greg has been thoroughly corrupted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Roman is dragging Kendall back to the dark side with hilarious dead waiter burns