Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

drrockso20 posted:

See I'm of the opinion that 5CP is probably the second worst standard mode in TF2 besides CTF*(at least if you aren't on a server that sets the cap limit to like 300 or something), at least when done with the casual standard of 12v12(it works better with Sixes or Prolander) as you tend to have only two results both incredibly obnoxious; either one team stomps the other into a mudhole and the match is over in like 5 minutes or an endless stalemate that lasts like 35 minutes

Basically when it comes to 12v12 casual the only standard modes that really work to any real degree of consistency are Payload, KOTH, and maybe 3CP

*honestly it would be the simplest thing to fix CTF, simply change the rules so that instead of the current system where there's no time limit but only 3 caps to win, instead there's a time limit and the team with the most caps by the end of the time limit wins, which would encourage people to actually bother playing the objective rather than treat CTF as a glorified TDM mode(while also eliminating the rear end in a top hat Scout behavior of trying to cap 3 times in like 2 minutes to end the map to piss off everyone else)

I will never like CTF in TF2 because you can't return your own flag by touching it. It makes the whole game mode a process of suiciding spies at the flag to move it a few inches. Then again, this is my bona fides as an old starsiege tribes 1 player speaking. CTF was the primary game mode in that game. Since the location of the enemy flag wasn't broadcasted via arrow in that game, as a defender you could elect to leave a flag out in the field and not return it to hide where it was. It made CTF way more interesting.

I don't mind 5CP every once in a while because playing engineer on it is fun. You have to be fluid and frugal about building setup. I do vastly prefer payload, though. KOTH and payload race are just TF2 limping along without a proper TDM mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
But the biggest sin of quickplay is that I literally can't queue up to play against my friends. Either we're on the same team, or we just have to queue up separately and hope to get randomly dumped in the same server.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I miss being able to select a specific gamemode valve server from the browser. Nightfall and that other plr map were cool as gently caress and i havent played them in years

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I will never like CTF in TF2 because you can't return your own flag by touching it. It makes the whole game mode a process of suiciding spies at the flag to move it a few inches. Then again, this is my bona fides as an old starsiege tribes 1 player speaking. CTF was the primary game mode in that game. Since the location of the enemy flag wasn't broadcasted via arrow in that game, as a defender you could elect to leave a flag out in the field and not return it to hide where it was. It made CTF way more interesting.

I don't mind 5CP every once in a while because playing engineer on it is fun. You have to be fluid and frugal about building setup. I do vastly prefer payload, though. KOTH and payload race are just TF2 limping along without a proper TDM mode.

Would probably make more sense to have it so friendlies being near their own flag speeds up it returning rather than instantly returning it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Would probably make more sense to have it so friendlies being near their own flag speeds up it returning rather than instantly returning it

I always thought this. Make it like a cap point where the more player touch it the faster it ticks down. Would make suicide rushing through a full team useless but it still would mean the enemies have to hunker down around it for a bit to defend.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

As a pretty poor team player (voice_enable 0 for life), I feel like these are all solvable problems.

they're solvable, yes, but they're solvable using good team coordination. when you reach an actual competitive level, payload ceases to have these specific problems(although the underlying issue of every official payload map being far too chokey remains). unfortunately at the casual level this does not happen because while the players are individually trying hard they are still a gaggle of random people who don't know each other and don't pay attention to any attempts at organization, which is why the prevailing strategies boil down to "concentrate as much beef on the cart as possible" and "spawncamp". they arise naturally out of people just doing what they, individually, think will work("I'm gonna play a beefy class and push the cart" and "I'm gonna shoot stickies at the other team or build a sentry to cover the point") but require a coordinated effort from multiple people to stop. dislodging 3 heavies from a cart or taking down 3 overlapping sentries is quite difficult for any player to do, and the nature of the task is such that getting 99% of the way to success and then failing gains you nothing(you can bring those heavies/sentries down to 1 hp before you die and a few seconds later it'll be like you never did anything at all). So, in the absence of intentional coordination, these strategies work and 9 times out of 10 you can tell who is going to win a match in the first 10 seconds based entirely on whether BLU is able to successfully leave their own spawn.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Otacon posted:

It was balanced when it was basically a kamikaze suicide weapon. A last resort to use when the odds look bleak - Predator vs Arnold. It did 35 melee damage, and 100 AOE damage on explode. That 135 damage means it killed 4/9 classes outright, and the 100 AOE damage is a lot towards those four 125HP classes, and still a decent chunk on the other classes. Deemed "unfair" even though the demoman usually died as well, and if he didn't (usually by surfing the jump to avoid fall damage) he had a non-critting melee that only did 35 damage each swing - a major gimp - until he goes back to spawn.

The fact that the self-damage wasn't enough to kill a full HP demoman was an oversight by Valve. The only way you should have been able to survive your own caber is with Ubercharge. I'd even go so far as to say it should have done 225hp self-damage to almost guarantee a dead demoman (unless overhealed)

Instead, they nerfed the explosion so it now does 75 damage (-25.) They buffed the melee-hit portion from 35>55 damage (+20) which can't crit, swings slower, but will still only kill the same 4/9 classes if you hit them. The 75 splash damage typically won't kill anybody. I know it's only a 25 damage reduction, but think about a 125hp Scout that only gets the AOE - he now has 50hp left instead of 25hp. That -25 feels a lot worse when you consider how much HP a light class will typically be missing before thinking "I should find a health pack."

My gods, what a waste of a perfectly good, fun, different weapon.

God I miss getting the perfect drop on medics behind enemy lines with that and the sticky jumper. Even if I did get gunned down by the rest of their team after, that was usually enough to break down their defense.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
the big problem with a lot of the later rebalancing is that you could tell they were aimed at closing the gap between casual & comp by "fixing" things that tended to see bans in comp play

and some of them were poo poo and needed fixing, and some of them were otherwise cool and good things that were only a problem in the context of coordinated 6s. so now instead of having fun toys for casual play that get left out of comp play, they're equally useless for both.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it felt very much like they would do balance changes that would reduce usage rates to functionally zero and go "mission accomplished". it was always one way too, you had a generation of big buffs which made trash items good, sometimes too good, and years later they would nerf them so they were worse than the original item.

still bitter about the bfb.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CoolCab posted:

it felt very much like they would do balance changes that would reduce usage rates to functionally zero and go "mission accomplished". it was always one way too, you had a generation of big buffs which made trash items good, sometimes too good, and years later they would nerf them so they were worse than the original item.

still bitter about the bfb.

they seemed to have this weird assumption that if an item had an inflated level of usage it had to be because the item was overpowered when the reality was that it was usually(though not always) because all of the alternatives were bad.

they also had a problem which I've seen in a lot of games' design: the double nerf. Item A is overpowered and requires a nerf. Someone suggests nerfing the damage, someone else suggests nerfing the range. Both suggestions are implemented, and the item goes from being overpowered to being unusable garbage instantly.

this hit pyro worst of all because the nature of his kit meant that most of his stuff relied on 2 different items working in tandem. one example of this is the Reserve Shooter. previously an extremely powerful combo in which someone who got close enough to airblast would get popped into the air unable to move and take a pretty much guaranteed shotgun minicrit to the face and die. this was maybe a bit too strong, and people were certainly annoyed by how easy was to do.

Two nerfs applied: 1 is that airblast no longer prevents airstrafing or puts people in a predictable position, making it harder to launch people and harder to actually hit them when they're launched. Second is that the Reserve Shooter doesn't minicrit on airblasted targets. So, they took something that was too rewarding for how easy it was to do, made it actually difficult to do in order for it to merit that level of reward, then massively reduced the reward. End result: weapon is trash, no one uses it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's an alarming number of LC crew still hanging around here

That is all

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Who?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Lost Continents, old goon tf2 server

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
Run a highlander

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It's g.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
its a shame that windyman never evolved to his final form of esoteric tf2 class content creator for pyro ala uncle dane

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUPzN7tp7bQ

Classic poo poo.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

The most basic bitch trolls but somehow so satisfying

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That reminds me how terrible voip sounded back then with everyone on terrible internet with £5 mics.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
"Shut up you're more annoying than OLMEC"

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

i love coupon bug dot com

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
CouponBugdotcomCouponBugdotcomCouponBugdotcomCouponBugdotcom

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

A For Effort posted:

A For Effort posted:

Ditocoaf posted:

i love coupon bug dot com

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

love this community.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

cock hero flux posted:

they also had a problem which I've seen in a lot of games' design: the double nerf. Item A is overpowered and requires a nerf. Someone suggests nerfing the damage, someone else suggests nerfing the range. Both suggestions are implemented, and the item goes from being overpowered to being unusable garbage instantly.

I've seen this kind of thing in so many other games that it ticks me off. One nerf would have been fine, but they applied all the nerfs making that option completely useless trash. It's like there's a lack of restraint in handling how things should be changed quite a lot of the time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm sorry, but loving lol

:frogout:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I'm sorry, but loving lol

:frogout:
I'm still in the Steam group, I'm just being a poo poo. :ssh:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

They pushed an update. https://store.steampowered.com/oldnews/101867

quote:

Fixed Engineer losing metal when hitting damaged buildings while they are being re-deployed after pick-up

Holy poo poo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Remember freight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg5tgAFiiGs

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
No competitive leagues play badlands anymore because apparently people think it's too hard to push out of last? What the gently caress, that was the final destination of team fortress 2 and a great map.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A For Effort posted:

No competitive leagues play badlands anymore because apparently people think it's too hard to push out of last? What the gently caress, that was the final destination of team fortress 2 and a great map.

I thought that was part of the appeal, making it more decisive.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

A For Effort posted:

If they raised the last point's capture time slightly above "45.923 femtoseconds," it might be more possible to defend it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Final points being easy to capture is the point. It lets the game actually come to an end instead of being an endless sine wave shaped stalemate. It's comp babies whining about the fact that they lose half their games.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A For Effort posted:

The final destination of TF2 is Dustbowl.

(2Fort is the Hyrule Castle.)

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Badlands last is problematic for a number of reasons. The fast cap is actually probably one of the lesser of it. Attacking is easy to get bogged down. There is the problem that the ceiling is really low and it’s easier to turtle than a map like process, sunshine, and snake water. Even gullywash, which is probably the closest to it in age, you can still somewhat bomb on last.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly 5CP is kind of a mediocre mode anyways, at least in the more casual 9v9 to 12v12 environment that 95% of people play in, only really works to any real degree of smoothness in competitive environments like Sixes or Prolander

Most 5CP maps would be improved by turning them into KOTH maps like with Badlands(for that matter the same could be said for most CTF maps too)

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I agree. As someone who’s favorite game mode is 5CP, it gets perpetually worse after 8 players a side. Even if there’s a decent disparity in skill, it can be a neat grinder still. Payload and Koth are great for pubs because it forces the action at a single, central location. Most players can handle thinking about getting to the payload or the single point. 5CP, until last, is too dynamic for most players.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Payload giving out free health and ammo to the pushing team is a big part of why I think it's the best game mode for casual play. Red team gets the control of the map and time to prepare and blue team gets rewarded for playing their objective and moving forward at a pace that lets Red set up further on down the map. (Not that the last part works particularly well in this era of well-trained spawn-killers)

And heck even though you can totally get stuck trying to take last on most payload maps it even has the kindness that if you're totally and completely sucking at getting the cart where it needs to go the game actually detects for this and starts sending the cart back in your direction. Solid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

reignofevil posted:

And heck even though you can totally get stuck trying to take last on most payload maps it even has the kindness that if you're totally and completely sucking at getting the cart where it needs to go the game actually detects for this and starts sending the cart back in your direction. Solid.
Some people complain about that mechanic, but it serves the dual purpose of giving the defending team a reward for playing the objective, and of pushing the cart back into somewhere the attacking team can get too without overextending. Lords knows how many casual game would turn into a horrendous one-sided meatgrinder as everyone overextended as they tried to funnel one at a time directly into the jaws of death. If the cart goes back far enough, it can turn into a rallying point for the attacking team that even players with absolutely no interest in teamwork will be incentivized to gather around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
I think badwater and upward are by far the best casual maps but in 6s I think badlands is still super viable and people are being unreasonable. The turtle heavy last is absolutely possible to overcome and the perfect spire/mid certainly makes up for it. I have the fondest memories watching and playing on that map. I have similar feelings about another now shunned 6s map: granary.

A For Effort fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 13, 2021