Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

wheels on backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

there were some kids riding EUCs around on the top of north head too. lastgirl would've been proud

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

3 way stop sign lmao

common as hell in Seattle, along with five way and even one six way stop lol

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Sphyre posted:

i did it

I like imagining it being ridden in this configuration

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Was watching some clips of UK motorway cop show and wtf they engage in high speed chases up to 150mph in suburban areas

Following some people in possession of drugs at 110mph through a 40mph area with pedestrian crossings and calling it a medium risk situation lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Dogs take after their masters

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
folding bikes are amazing we should just buy one for every citizen. trikes and recumbents for people who cant ride bikes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

Cyclist and pedestrian sent to hospital after separate car crashes on Marin
The crashes took place Thursday and Friday just one block apart.

A driver struck a cyclist at Marin Circle on Thursday morning. Credit: roseman
An 83-year-old Berkeley man was taken to the hospital Thursday when a driver struck him as he rode his bike through Marin Circle in the Berkeley Hills, authorities report.

The driver, a 45-year-old Richmond woman who was already in the traffic circle in her Honda Odyssey, struck the cyclist as he entered the circle just before 8:50 a.m. Thursday, leaving him with a head injury, said Officer Byron White, Berkeley police spokesperson. The man was taken to Highland Hospital for treatment.

White said the driver remained at the scene and is cooperating with the investigation. Neither alcohol nor drugs appear to be factors, he said.

On Friday afternoon, police responded to nearly the same location — Marin and Shattuck avenues, a block east of the circle — for a pedestrian crash sometime before 3:50 p.m.

Police said the pedestrian, who was elderly, sustained a leg injury and was taken to Highland Hospital as a precautionary measure due to their age.

A reader who was in the area of the crash provided a brief description of what had happened: “Accident involving a pedestrian and an impatient driver heading down Marin this afternoon! Around 3:45 this afternoon. The diverted traffic is full of even more impatient drivers.”

She continued: “It’s time to close Marin to downward traffic. My kids and I bike every day to school and the gym, and it’s frankly terrifying to go near Marin and the circle. Please cover the stories and raise awareness. All of the pedestrian and cycling accidents, and people’s outrageous reactions blaming the victims, are turning me into a safe streets advocate.”

Traffic safety on Marin Avenue a problem this year. Last week, Dec. 1, a 75-year-old Berkeley woman ended up in the ICU after a driver struck her as she crossed Marin at Euclid Avenue, police said previously. BPD said there were no updates on the woman’s condition to report this week.

In May, a driver and his passenger were killed when they crashed at Santa Barbara Road after hurtling down Marin Avenue in an older-model sedan. The investigation report remains incomplete pending analyses from outside agencies, but the cause appears to have been mechanical due to brake failure, BPD told Berkeleyside recently.

Berkeley has been plagued this year by serious traffic collisions, which have so far resulted in eight deaths: five pedestrians and three people in vehicles. Police have struggled to keep up with those investigations due to chronic short staffing.

The BPD statistics do not even capture all of the traffic fatalities in the area in recent months: In September, two motorists were killed on the freeway when they got out of their vehicles to argue and, in October, a cyclist died from a medical emergency while biking near Aquatic Park. In November, a Berkeley midwife died after crashing while cycling in the Oakland Hills not far from the Berkeley border.

lol just everyone is absolutely psychopathic in december. it must be the shorter daylight hours or something but even during daylight everyone is driving like they're gunna die if they "only" go 35 in a 25mph

also lol "the sun was in my eyes"

quote:

The other day I was nearly killed in a crosswalk on Cedar when an elderly woman barreled through the intersection HOLDING HER HAND UP IN FRONT OF HER EYES TO SHIELD FROM THE SUN. She was literally completely blocking her own view, but still felt speeding her giant Suburu through the intersection was a fine idea.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Dec 12, 2021

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sphyre posted:

i did it

what a view

will never appreciate this from a car because when you're in a car, everything is a blurry streak gotta go fast

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Samuel Glompers posted:

I like imagining it being ridden in this configuration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPVJzi7Ta9w

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Was watching some clips of UK motorway cop show and wtf they engage in high speed chases up to 150mph in suburban areas

Following some people in possession of drugs at 110mph through a 40mph area with pedestrian crossings and calling it a medium risk situation lmao

The best parts of these stories are how they almost always include a "we were able to confirm the vehicle and engage in pursuit thanks to GPS tracking installed in it" which is helpfully never examined or explored at all by whatever stenographer gunning for a police press officer position is reporting on it lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sphyre posted:

i did it

is this seattle? looks nice, for december

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

helly eah

https://i.imgur.com/nCQbril.mp4

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how the hell does the front wheel spin around for so long

edit: wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC9G3eQIQT0

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:06 on Dec 12, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

is this seattle? looks nice, for december

no space needle, that tower in the back looks like auckland, so it's summer there

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/jokull/status/1470064077020008452

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

remember that time buttigieg got out of a motorcade and hopped on a bike for a photo op like a hundred feet away passing it off like he had traversed some great distance

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Picardy Beet posted:

https://www.leparisien.fr/paris-75/...KLSNHTYA7RI.php

Paris, 15 person injured ( 5 very badly, one person lost a leg). . First hit one vehicule, another one and a red light, before crashing in a shop. The taxi cab says its accelerator pedal was stuck, and the breaks weren't responding. The vehicule brand isn't told, but the Tesla insign is clearly visible on this video .

https://twitter.com/i/status/1469809859260567555

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

God Hole posted:

remember that time buttigieg got out of a motorcade and hopped on a bike for a photo op like a hundred feet away passing it off like he had traversed some great distance

More or less embarrassing than the time he was seen eating pizza on the subway

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the best part of that scene is how obvious it is that any time you see lori laughlin's face you never see the bottom of the bike, and you never see the face of "her" (the guy stunt rider) when you see the actual tricks being done. the stunt rider's wig isn't even the right color

of course, that just adds to the glorious ridiculousness of the whole thing

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBX7UUXH8hQ

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

Most left politics reminds me of the local minimum problem in AI. You have some variable you're trying to minimize, like say, capital induced human misery via climate change.

You can see a global minimum over a hill called "ban all fossil fuels today" or even avoiding the peak of the hill by doing "steadily increasing taxes until extraction reaches zero"

But all the people who need to feed their family with a job reachable only by car, that variable gets locally deoptimized, giving two faced villains all the ammo they need.

:goonsay:

That's just liberals. But instead of concern trolling about black people minorities People of Color Black and Indigenous People of Color as a proxy for poor, they just use the existence of poor people directly for why we can't possibly change anything and must instead vote for democrats like Biden.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 19:39 on Dec 12, 2021

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

That's just liberals. But instead of concern trolling about black people minorities People of Color Black and Indigenous People of Color as a proxy for poor, they just use the existence of poor people directly for why we can't possibly change anything and must instead vote for democrats like Biden.
Car brain unfortunately knows no political boundaries (in the United States, at least). It's not entirely the individual's fault as 99% of us have been raised with the mindset that absolute auto-dependency is inherent to modern civilization. Proposing a bike lane in place of street parking or removing parking lots is absolutely the quickest way to get the most ardent Marxist-Leninist to suddenly defend allocating public space to the storage of private property which is affordable only to the middle class and above. Unless they've had their eyes opened to cars being bad, a majority of people just don't get it.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Can we talk about how the American SouthWest has the newest and therefore least pedestrian friendly cities in America?

Look at this snapshot of Phoenix-Mesa. See that wonderful green area there? That's a golf course. The only bit of green nature is for rich fucks to whack a ball around. Meanwhile everyone else pilots their cars around a concrete hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1-axqBZdNk

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

PeterCat posted:

See that wonderful green area there? That's a golf course. The only bit of green nature is for rich fucks to whack a ball around. Meanwhile everyone else pilots their cars around a concrete hell.

tbf when i see bright green areas in the loving desert i don't think "oh thats wonderful", i see grotesque hubris of man.

but yes southwest cities, particular arizona, nv, utah, socal, are all hell car worlds

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JPEccSsWcU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Xaris posted:

tbf when i see bright green areas in the loving desert i don't think "oh thats wonderful", i see grotesque hubris of man.

but yes southwest cities, particular arizona, nv, utah, socal, are all hell car worlds

Well, you can have a little bit of green, but it's hoarded for really selfish reasons. I mean, I don't look at a park as an extravagance.

Now, Phoenix as a whole is hubristic, as are the weak people who can't hack northern winters.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/_dmoser/status/1470037904047185921?s=20

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://i.imgur.com/panWi8w.mp4

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

loving idiot is a loving idiot in like 18 different ways in this clip

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lol

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

:kstare:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i'm glad people also embrace death to car lifestyle

maybe a sweet insurance payout

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
whats heavier: a ton of steel and plastic or hundreds of tons of moving water?

well it's a ton of steel and plastic of course

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
I always get a kick out of SUVs with the snorkels that let the engine breath when the car is almost fully submerged. It's such astounding and public delusion.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
This is the cool bike thread right?

Check out this bmx video; It's literally titled: "Wait, what?", and delivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km7xS_y7uA4

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Elon Musk declared person of the year for automating the car's ability to kill people

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
lol if you are still having to steer into pedestrians with your hands like a caveman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this is an interesting take from alex pareene on tesla autopilot: https://theap.substack.com/p/losing-a-street-fight-to-elon-musk

quote:

A car manufacturer could make a bet that by intentionally making his vehicles more dangerous, particularly to people outside of them, regulators and states and municipalities will respond not by punishing his massively over-valued company but instead by attempting to further limit opportunities for Teslas to come into contact with non-drivers. That is, by walling off the streets, giving more space to cars, and making all roads more freeway-like. A true believer might come to think that causing more mayhem will only accelerate the speed with which this transformation takes place. One reason to make that bet is because it is essentially what happened with automobiles themselves.