Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
https://twitter.com/i/status/1465404664883593221

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

F-35 on silti tämän tarjouskilpailun paras hävittäjä. Paras tutka, parhaat muut sensorit, kantaa eniten/yhtä paljon ohjuksia kuin muut.
Lol, F-35 has 4 internal and 6 external hardpoints. Eurofighter has 8+5 (external), Gripen has 8. However, if F-35 uses any of its external hardpoints its radar signature blows up. Even the small Gripen can carry twice the amount of weapons of F-35 in stealth mode.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Herman Merman posted:

All the other fighters under consideration can land on a ~800 m runway, the hosed up F-35 airframe requires 2400 m :allears:

I'd ask how the gently caress was it even in the running if that's true, but sadly I know the answer.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Herman Merman posted:

Lol, F-35 has 4 internal and 6 external hardpoints. Eurofighter has 8+5 (external), Gripen has 8. However, if F-35 uses any of its external hardpoints its radar signature blows up. Even the small Gripen can carry twice the amount of weapons of F-35 in stealth mode.
The variant Finland will buy is the block 4 with sidekick, meaning 6 internal + 6 external. Gripen can carry 0 of the weapons in stealth mode, because it doesn't have one. In general, comparing F-35 internal carry to 4th gen external carry is idiotic. Either stealth does matter, in which case F-35 can carry 6 and none of the planes it's being compared to can carry anything, or it doesn't matter, and it can carry 12.

Also, F-35 has sufficient internal fuel that it does not need to carry external fuel for operations in Finland, while the Typhoon, Rafale or Gripen would typically have to, and not all hardpoints are equal -- Typhoon might have 13 hardpoints, but only 8 of them can carry missiles.

Comparing apples to apples:
- F-35 can carry 12 missiles, any mix of Sidewinder or AMRAAM
- Gripen can carry 4 radar-guided + 2 ir guided
- Rafale can carry up to 4 Meteor + 6 Mica
- Typhoon can carry 6 radar guided + 2 ir guided (or 4+6, they have an adapter that can fit 2 light missiles that they can carry in the inner wing missile hardpoint.)
- Super Hornet can actually carry up to 12 amraam + 2 sidewinder

So actually I was wrong, F-18E has more capacity for missiles than F-35. All the others don't.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 10, 2021

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i am so glad i know nothing about military hardware

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
The actual qualifications were:

a) how much kickbacks can I personally get
and
b) how much kickbacks can my friends get

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Actually it's how many flight hours I have with F35 in Ace Combat 7 compared to other planes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

matti posted:

i am so glad i know nothing about military hardware

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Ketä kiinnostaa kuinka monta ohjusta voi tunkea koneeseen jolla ei kuitenkaan ikinä tapella?

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Älä ny, kyä ne ryssät siältä viälä tulloo

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

bloom posted:

Ketä kiinnostaa kuinka monta ohjusta voi tunkea koneeseen jolla ei kuitenkaan ikinä tapella?

Then what is the point of defence forces anyway?

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

Either stealth does matter, in which case F-35 can carry 6 and none of the planes it's being compared to can carry anything, or it doesn't matter, and it can carry 12.
Stealth matters less and less each year because the radars will keep getting better while the planes we bought will stay the same, and just lol if we ended up buying the expensive underperforming stealth plane but do not actually intend to use it as a stealth plane.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

bloom posted:

You don't have a deterrent because you intend to use it, but because you want to increase the cost and difficulty of attacking you.

I'm not very enthusiastic about the military, but if we didn't have one at all I could see little green men appearing one day. If there is need for a military to exist, it needs to be effective to serve its purpose, and on the micro level some detail like how many missiles a plane can carry does matter.

Qtamo
Oct 7, 2012

quote:

Puolet ylläpitokuluista tulevat palveluna Lockheed Martinilta ja toinen puolisko on Suomen itse manageroimia toimintoja.

– Omilla kustannusten alentamisillamme sekä Suomen pitäessä omat kulunsa kurissa, uskomme, että ylläpitokulut, elinkaarikulut (...) katetaan helposti Suomen hallituksen budjetilla, McDonald sanoi.

So, the cost to the FDF has been massively undervalued in the offer and once the maintenance costs get out of hand Lockheed will just point at the Finnish military being unable to keep costs in check and shrug. I mean, I think we all knew it was going to happen but it's fun to see it implied this early on.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I'm kind of finding it hard to give a poo poo tbh. Like, we were gonna replace the Hornets eventually anyway and frankly I just don't see what's it ultimately matter if we buy into one lovely choice among many over another. There weren't really any good choices in this race and the US is apparently interested enough in Finland's air capability to offer cut-rate F-35s so whatever.

If this meant we were losing out some magical, just-for-you special sweetheart deal where they produce 64 F-22s just for us at well below F-35 rates then I might find it in me to be mildly upset but as it stands, it's just another loving FDF purchase that had to happen eventually.

I mean, sure, there's some long-term cost concerns but I don't see how going with any of the other choices woulda really negated those concerns. Saab has its own troubles, the Hornet GOTY edition is old and not exactly in popular use. Apparently the other two were ruled out for not meeting the nebulous FDF requirements.

e: Plus there's the fact that literally everyone knew how this was gonna go. Like, Trump just straight up announced it by accident over a year ago and Finnish media just pretended he was "confused" like yeah right.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 10, 2021

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
Agreed, I just like to laugh at F-35

Qtamo
Oct 7, 2012
The (probable) overall cost difference is still something that would've been better spent on pretty much anything other than perhaps 5% "better", ultimately ineffective larp toys for the military. Aside from that, yeah, this is how it was supposed to go, and I feel the bigger critique should probably be aimed at whether the purchase was necessary at this point at all.

It'll be funny to see how this'll spill over to politics, though. There's probably a fraction of vas/sdp/greens that aren't too happy, while parts of other parties will start beating the NATO drum even louder.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Almost 5 bil would have bought a lot of hydroelectric, wind, and solar power plants.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The political aspects are almost certainly gonna be more important than the actual usefulness of the planes. Relations with NATO, the US, etc.

I wanted a Saabi and defense union between Sweden and Finland and have read all the stuff about how the new plane is unreliable and hugely expensive. I don't know how true any of that is really, or if it matters.

Cat girl Sanna going clubbing while drinking Corona has made international news. It's clearly a genius play to gain young voters for SDP and boost the reputation of Finland as the happiest country. :angel:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Catpain Slack posted:

Almost 5 bil would have bought a lot of hydroelectric, wind, and solar power plants.

Or one Olkiluoto 3.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Ihmemies posted:

Or one Olkiluoto 3.
To be fair one Olkiluoto 3 is like over 10% of the entire country's electricity needs and matches a lot of renewables.

It's an enormous project management fuckup, but for what it does it's still not that bad.

Probably like these fighters. There are problems but if you squint it looks kind of alright and it'll probably be mostly fine. (Remind me in 2030 if this post aged badly.)

Elukka fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 11, 2021

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Nuclear has only gotten more appealing over the course of the gently caress up. Even greens are pro nuclear when not busy drinking champagne and going to sekasauna with minors. (it's a story in seiska)

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Elukka posted:

To be fair one Olkiluoto 3 is like over 10% of the entire country's electricity needs and matches a lot of renewables.

It's an enormous project management fuckup, but for what it does it's still not that bad.

Probably like these fighters. There are problems but if you squint it looks kind of alright and it'll probably be mostly fine. (Remind me in 2030 if this post aged badly.)

In 10 years we'll be posting in Russian, comrade.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Hävittäjälentäjät on leuhkaa porukkaa mutta kun eka f-35 seisoo kiitoradalla niin
-Sataa. Mee sä
-Eiku mee sä
-En mä mee
-Mitä jos ei mennä mutta sanotaan että mentiin?
-Semper fi

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Edelleen se paras osa tätä kauppaa on, että yksikään suomalainen ei ole koelentänyt F-35:tä muualla kuin simulaattorissa. Ostaisitko käytetyn Satsuman pelkän My Summer Car -testiajon perusteella?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Nenonen posted:

Edelleen se paras osa tätä kauppaa on, että yksikään suomalainen ei ole koelentänyt F-35:tä muualla kuin simulaattorissa. Ostaisitko käytetyn Satsuman pelkän My Summer Car -testiajon perusteella?

vittu Datsun 100A on nytten harvinainen keräilyauto sen pelin takia

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I'll bet Putin is now howling with laughter in Kremlin.

:roflolmao: : "Those idiots! They bought loving F-35! They were offered EUROFIGHTER on a silver platter and they loving said no!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nii on ku peiliin kattosis.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tuli kiire vessaan ja kun tuntui siltä että tulee pitkä istunto, nappasin syöksyn aikana mukaan lähimmän ohuentapaisen kirjan.

Saatana "Vänrikki Stoolin tarinat." No tulipahan sitäkin sitten luettua.

(Pääsin "Sotavanhukseen" asti.)

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

täh, eiks sul oo vessassa pinoa aku ankkoja valmiina?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HerraS posted:

täh, eiks sul oo vessassa pinoa aku ankkoja valmiina?

En o kotona.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Heh heh, stool 💩

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

En o kotona.

vittuako sä vieraiden ihmisten kodeissa paskannat

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HerraS posted:

vittuako sä vieraiden ihmisten kodeissa paskannat

Kakkaa, lähinnä.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Can you already feel patriotism churning in your guts?

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
Viileä Stooli veli.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Herman Merman posted:

Can you already feel patriotism churning in your guts?

Yeah call me Dude of the Cloud.

CLOUD OF FART LMAO

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Tuli kiire vessaan ja kun tuntui siltä että tulee pitkä istunto, nappasin syöksyn aikana mukaan lähimmän ohuentapaisen kirjan.

(Pääsin "Sotavanhukseen" asti.)

Onneksi olkoot, olet sivistyneempi kuin valtaosa persuista.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Onneksi olkoot, olet sivistyneempi kuin valtaosa persuista.

Joo osaan lukea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Perkele en saanu rokotusta. Pitää tiistaina mennä 8:15 jonottamaan (tai odottaa tammikuulle) johonkin hevon saatanaan.

Voisivat tietty kun koneella varataan aika niin siinä vaiheessa kysyä tai vihjaista lääkkeistä jotka vaikuttavat asiaan. Kaikista.