Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

guys what is the chillest game of all time. I'm talking, so chill that my switch will freeze over and I'll be forced to go outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Donkey Kong tropical freeze

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Wilmot's Warehouse. It's so wonderful.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Monster Train is about hell freezing over, so that's a start.

e: There's also Ice Climbers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What is the Nintendo switch version of Journey, Abzu, or Hohokum. Feels like the Switch would be a great system for that sort of thing.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Frankston posted:

guys what is the chillest game of all time. I'm talking, so chill that my switch will freeze over and I'll be forced to go outside.

Frostpunk, idk if that is on switch tho

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

What is the Nintendo switch version of Journey, Abzu, or Hohokum. Feels like the Switch would be a great system for that sort of thing.

Abzu is on the Switch.

anatomi posted:

What exactly is this game? It looks appealing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Saddest Rhino posted:

So Mario in those games is a dimwitted murder machine hired by the princess, where compensation are kisses on cheeks?

the kiss on the cheek is a mafia kiss. mario is a hitman and he is allowed to keep any gold coins he finds along the way

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

anatomi posted:

It never goes on sale :(

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Frankston posted:

What's the Subnautica sequel that takes place in a frozen environment? Below Zero? Absolute Zero? Something like that.

That one.

Or Red Lantern.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This boss in the lava zone of Metroid Dread sure is a boss fight. I just about have the fight down except I can’t figure out how to reliably dodge it’s double arm attack.

I’m talking a break for awhile cause I’m up to about seven attempts and I feel like I’ve stalled out learning this fight. Gonna come back later today and see how it goes. This strategy worked real well for me though all the Dark Souls games. This boss is the first big bad boss I’ve fight in a long time (excluding MH Rise).

This game is great and I can’t wait to see what else is in store for me.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Abzu is on the Switch.

What exactly is this game? It looks appealing.
You're a cube guy working in a warehouse, unloading and sorting deliveries, which you then fetch to fulfill order requests.

Between order requests you have downtime to sort poo poo at your leisure. And that's the core challenge of the game — it expects you to find your own strategies to handle the increasing stock and complexities.

It's a nice mixture of meditative and hectic gameplay, and the art-style is suitably abstract and joyful. Scratches the Tetris itch, I find.

It has a co-op mode and if you have a SO/best friend I really, really recommend you play together.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

This boss in the lava zone of Metroid Dread sure is a boss fight. I just about have the fight down except I can’t figure out how to reliably dodge it’s double arm attack.

I’m talking a break for awhile cause I’m up to about seven attempts and I feel like I’ve stalled out learning this fight. Gonna come back later today and see how it goes. This strategy worked real well for me though all the Dark Souls games. This boss is the first big bad boss I’ve fight in a long time (excluding MH Rise).

This game is great and I can’t wait to see what else is in store for me.

For that double arm attack, I had pretty good luck using the space jump to hang out at the top of the screen. You just need to identify where the arms are before the attack so you can be in a safe spot.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

For that double arm attack, I had pretty good luck using the space jump to hang out at the top of the screen. You just need to identify where the arms are before the attack so you can be in a safe spot.

thats what I try to do but it seems I take damage from the monsters head. Something that’s not arms is damaging me in what seems to be the only safe spot to dodge the arms.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

thats what I try to do but it seems I take damage from the monsters head. Something that’s not arms is damaging me in what seems to be the only safe spot to dodge the arms.

I had the same problem with the head. Depending on where the head is, iirc you can float around the middle of the screen to avoid damage but there’s not much window for error

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That attack leaves a big blue motion blur where the arms go, outlining the safe and danger spots. Sticking to the middle of the room and jumping right before it swings was what worked for me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much all the Metroid Dread bosses are a case of kicking your rear end til you figure out the patterns and what tool you're meant to use in that stage. A few of them even have patterns that are basically 'skip to next stage of boss fight' once you figure them out, usually based on counters.

There's some less intuitive stuff with colour-coding and specific use weapons. I keep forgetting to even use the storm missiles for anything but the specific obstacles once I got them, but pretty much anything involving multiple targets is meant for that to be used on, while the Power Bomb's signature colour is orange. Incidentally, that's why the final EMMI, which is orange, is a cutscene boss- its signature weapon is the Power Bomb, it's not going to even bother chasing you down when it just uses that to blow the room open.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I feel like a little kid again, because I'm beyond psyched to get Pikmin 3 Deluxe soon.

Bingo Battle looks stupid fun.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Frankston posted:

Wilmont's Warehouse is fun. Animal Crossing is as chill as you want it to be. You're supposed to be saving the galaxy in Star Link, but you can faff about on alien planets scanning the wildlife as much as you want.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life is very chill so is Chibi Robo and Endless Ocean

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Willo567 posted:

paper mario on n64 is better than thousand year door

co-sign

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
In Paper Mario 64, Bowser beats Mario so hard that even with the seven stars donating their power to him, Mario ends up in a coma for multiple days, and probably would have died were it not for them. :rock:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
PM64 is like one of two mario rpg's where bowser's a certifiable threat all the way through without being somehow possessed by eldritch forces

even if you're totally juiced up by the game's end he's still a bruiser of a final boss

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
TTYD is a bit too jokey and I think PM64 is a lot more charming. I think it’s the lack of paper jokes in 64 that makes the world feel less artificial

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
TTYD is extremely good it's just about 15 hours too long, and a lot of that time is spent walking back and forth through long narrow corridors. Personal preference really, but I love how tight the original is.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I like all the Mario RPGs, even Sticker Star. It'd be nice if all of them get put on Switch eventually, and someone revives the Mario & Luigi franchise after AlphaDream died.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Critical lack of mention of the actual best Mario RPG, Bowser's Inside Story.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

American McGay posted:

about 15 hours too long, and a lot of that time is spent walking back and forth through long narrow corridors.

But enough about JRPGs,

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In Paper Mario you get fun and unique takes on classic Mario monsters. They all have different abilities and personalities and have different game mechanics that open up the world and allow you to explore using your friends. It was a beloved gameplay mechanic that was universally adored.

They never, ever, ever do this again in any other Mario RPG, paper or otherwise. It makes every single one of them feel less engaging and inspired as a result. So weird.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thousand year door: Better graphics, better music, better partner characters, better bosses

Paper Mario 64: Better level design, better pacing, combat simpler(better imo), better writing, feels more in the Mario universe

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

ill never replay thousand year door because the chapter with the tiny guys in the tree sucks poo poo for 5 hours. great game though

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is the paper mario game on the expansion pack working well or are there any bad emulation issues? I think this'll get me to upgrade, at least for a little bit until Banjo also comes out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PageMaster posted:

Is the paper mario game on the expansion pack working well or are there any bad emulation issues? I think this'll get me to upgrade, at least for a little bit until Banjo also comes out.

Playing it right now. Menus are a bit slow, but it's been so long that I can't remember if that was normal. Audio timing seems off, but again; not sure if it's emulation, or just how it was.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Did they ever fix the font on Three Houses for handheld mode? I was going to re-download it as I’m looking for an rpg to play handheld while my kiddos hogging the tv. But remember that font being very rough to play with.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

b_d posted:

ill never replay thousand year door because the chapter with the tiny guys in the tree sucks poo poo for 5 hours. great game though

i liked the anime tournament arc chapter where you get the partner yoshi

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

Playing it right now. Menus are a bit slow, but it's been so long that I can't remember if that was normal. Audio timing seems off, but again; not sure if it's emulation, or just how it was.

Yeah pretty much same for me. The actual gameplay is smoother than menus, I imagine it's just N64 wonkiness

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Thousand year door: Better graphics, better music, better partner characters, better bosses

Paper Mario 64: Better level design, better pacing, combat simpler(better imo), better writing, feels more in the Mario universe

the original has better writing? that's a pretty high bar, I always assumed otherwise (but I've only played ttyd)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I just finished Okami and I noticed I can do a New Game+. Does the combat get more challenging?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
people always say ttyd has better partners but let's compare

ttyd good partners: goombella, vivian, baby yoshi, admiral bobbery

pm64 good partners: bombette, parakarry, bow, sushi, lakilester

ttyd bad partners: koopa guy, flurry

pm64 bad partners: koopa guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also to the guy who was having problems with saves in sonic colors ultimate, i just loaded up the file i briefly started when it came out and everything seems fine?