Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I know this is probably not a solution for Icarus’ restricted talent tree, but can’t you use cheat engine or a trainer to give yourself the required BP or talent points you need to cover the more essential stuff so you can then level into all the special talents and BPs you think you should earn? Apparently the game lets you do that as long as you do it offline or in your own instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Prop Wash posted:

That’s one reason why I’m a little worried about 7 Days to Die - usually the building is no problem but blood moons are all hands on deck. Maybe they can just log out and I can stream that portion?

you can just disable the blood moon gimmick, it's fine
in fact you can add a mod that increases zombie count full time instead and the game is a lot more interesting, the horde gimmick really pushes you into exploiting specific AI behavior and that gets old tbh.

Vib Rib posted:

See, I would think intentionally antagonistic design and permanently deleting your character count as "a lot more" but what do I know?

it blows my mind that people defend this so fiercely when there's apparently a common bug that leaves characters unable to log in for days at a time and you can't do anything but just watch the timer tick down lmao

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

it blows my mind that people defend this so fiercely when there's apparently a common bug that leaves characters unable to log in for days at a time and you can't do anything but just watch the timer tick down lmao

lmao

now if only you had to pay for each of these characters it'd be GOTY

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Vib Rib posted:

No. Not like this. Even fuckin notoriously buggy games like Skyrim don't spawn two huge angry trolls on top of you day one as soon as you arrive in Riverwood.
Also I've never had to "grind" in the first 30 minutes of any good survival game, certainly not for levels. Chopping down one or two trees for tools in Green Hell or Minecraft VS spending 20-30 minutes just trying to reach a level up so I'm allowed to build a hut? Lol.

I've never met anyone who speaks so effortlessly in the words of Corporate AdCopy. Look at these words. If the company really isn't paying you, and your first and only posts in a 90 page, 7 year old survival thread just happen to be breathless yet sterile praise of a game so obviously broken, then they should be.

Vib Rib posted:

Kinda sounds like the very first mission spawning two bears right on top of you to kill you instantly, and it being so well known that players already recommend building a bear-cheesing hut for the mission, is not excused for being a bug. This is loving release. If anything having such a glaring, ridiculous, widespread bug in now, after multiple beta tests, is damning. Having to grind in the first half hour? No crossplay on SP/MP characters? Selling DLC already? And their big selling point, the missions, aren't even interesting, or fun, or rewarding, apparently. They don't add a drat thing to the loop except making you re-craft early game stuff repeatedly. Wow.
All this for a game where you chop trees, kill wolves, and build log cabins in the woods. Groundbreaking!

so which dev are you then

Vib Rib posted:

See, I would think intentionally antagonistic design and permanently deleting your character count as "a lot more" but what do I know?

At some point in your life I hope that you come to terms with different people having different opinions about what is fun and that being okay lmfao I'm 35 years old by the way, just wanted to share that, have a blessed day!!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Icarus sounds like poo poo but all the power to those who can enjoy it regardless.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The worst part, to me, is that I remember reading the blurb back then and now, looking at it, it just looks so.... bland. Like, forget all the lovely design decisions and stuff, it's so loving boring looking for a game that explicitly advertises itself as being based around "exploring a savage alien wilderness"

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
They can absolutely log out in 7dtd. That will also make the swarm smaller since basically each player gets a swarm. If the players are all in the same place it gets pretty hectic, but each players swarm concentrates on that player. Anyway yes they should log out and you can stream it.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Umbreon posted:

Once I prospect pick an area and find a metal I want
Prospecting is for after you have a toolmaking supply of materials, before then search for surface deposits, as you need to do allot of mining. Build a camp and have several picks ready to go.

You should always find the highest local point for the material your looking for, keep prospecting new chunks until the % stops going up, then as others said dig down and make exploratory shafts. Do note that certain materials will only generate in certain rock types, so if the first type of rock is not the type it can generate in (you can check these in the help menu), you know you have to dig until it changes to one it can.

Most ore veins, save for tin, are gently caress-off huge. You can actually build like, a real mine. Server I played on for awhile had a communal copper mine that never tapped out despite six players using it, became a real maze of tunnels though, charcoal marking the way back to the exit was a job. But yeah, once you find a good deposit, your pretty much set for that material going forward. Except tin.

The node search propick mode is extremely useful and significantly increases your chances of finding junk.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

The worst part, to me, is that I remember reading the blurb back then and now, looking at it, it just looks so.... bland. Like, forget all the lovely design decisions and stuff, it's so loving boring looking for a game that explicitly advertises itself as being based around "exploring a savage alien wilderness"

Played a few hours and yea it feels like a unity store asset flip scam game

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Just played Unpacking for a couple of hours on gamepass. What a lovely little game. Not only the satisfaction of putting things away, but really nice environmental storytelling. I am rooting for the main character I've never seen.

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Just played Unpacking for a couple of hours on gamepass. What a lovely little game. Not only the satisfaction of putting things away, but really nice environmental storytelling. I am rooting for the main character I've never seen.

Worst part about Unpacking is juggling the thirst and hunger bars. It gets old real quick, especially when I just need to finish clearing out the bathroom, like, c'mon!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I played through all of Unpacking while streaming on a Discord server and we all had an absolute blast doing it. It just has some fantastic unconventional storytelling.

We all hated the douche boyfriend she moved in with pretty much from the first minute, it owned.

Shame the game is so short though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Drone posted:

I played through all of Unpacking while streaming on a Discord server and we all had an absolute blast doing it. It just has some fantastic unconventional storytelling.

We all hated the douche boyfriend she moved in with pretty much from the first minute, it owned.

Shame the game is so short though.

Completely agree with spoiler. I was so mad.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Jawnycat posted:

Prospecting is for after you have a toolmaking supply of materials, before then search for surface deposits, as you need to do allot of mining. Build a camp and have several picks ready to go.

You should always find the highest local point for the material your looking for, keep prospecting new chunks until the % stops going up, then as others said dig down and make exploratory shafts. Do note that certain materials will only generate in certain rock types, so if the first type of rock is not the type it can generate in (you can check these in the help menu), you know you have to dig until it changes to one it can.

Most ore veins, save for tin, are gently caress-off huge. You can actually build like, a real mine. Server I played on for awhile had a communal copper mine that never tapped out despite six players using it, became a real maze of tunnels though, charcoal marking the way back to the exit was a job. But yeah, once you find a good deposit, your pretty much set for that material going forward. Except tin.

The node search propick mode is extremely useful and significantly increases your chances of finding junk.

Really? I found two copper veins so far, but they were tiny and I only found enough to make a few tools, and I went at least two to three blocks in every direction from any copper blocks I could find trying to find more.

Thanks for telling me all the other tips though guys, didn't know about the second feature in the prospecting pick.

*Edit* do you guys make any changes to the configuration of your world? I feel like the days are just never long enough no matter what I do and I kind of want to make them longer, Even if it means longer nights

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

HopperUK posted:

i tried to unpack but starved and died

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Commoners posted:

i tried to unpack but starved and died

I definitely did not think I was in the Steam thread. That would be foolish.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zomboid released multiplayer finally (test branch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCqRYjAepBk

longer demo vid by ambiguous amphibian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atI-tEpmS4g

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 11, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Umbreon posted:

Really? I found two copper veins so far, but they were tiny and I only found enough to make a few tools, and I went at least two to three blocks in every direction from any copper blocks I could find trying to find more.

Thanks for telling me all the other tips though guys, didn't know about the second feature in the prospecting pick.

*Edit* do you guys make any changes to the configuration of your world? I feel like the days are just never long enough no matter what I do and I kind of want to make them longer, Even if it means longer nights

Veins can vary in size, keep checking around them though often there's another half to it one block down and to the side of where you think it ended

I kinda like never having enough time to do everything in the day but I turn temporal storms off every time. i get the purpose drifters serve in the game but they're so loving boring and the last thing I want is to randomly have to deal with a million of them.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 11, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played some of the 7DTD a20 update and am having a very good time on a randomly generated map. The game actually looks surprisingly good now and it feels like the very start of a new run goes much quicker, at least this time around it's not been a brutal start.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HopperUK posted:

I definitely did not think I was in the Steam thread. That would be foolish.
Just wanted to say thanks for these posts, they somehow hit in just the right way that I laughed myself into a stitch. Maybe it's the mental image of that game with survival mechanics, or just the juxtaposition, but it was good stuff. Also offtopic, sure, but it really was a fine game. The sound design blew me away. Every object and surface sounded just right.

Salt Fish posted:

At some point in your life I hope that you come to terms with different people having different opinions about what is fun and that being okay lmfao I'm 35 years old by the way, just wanted to share that, have a blessed day!!
Oh poo poo my negative posts about an unfinished garbage game all collected in one spot, egg on my face. Thanks, person who literally only showed up in this thread to post about how Icarus is good and the character-deleting bugs are endearing, actually.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Beta version of the new multiplayer patch on Project Zomboid is otherwise fun but it has some serious rollback issues, where the game will crash and suddenly give you a character you used ages ago (without character death). It is beta, after all, but I still decided to try it out again when it's a bit more stable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So I looked back up Seven Days To Die since everyone was talking about it, and I'm not sure how to say this but when did this game stop being minecraft, because I definitely remember it being blocky as gently caress and now looks great?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

CuddleCryptid posted:

So I looked back up Seven Days To Die since everyone was talking about it, and I'm not sure how to say this but when did this game stop being minecraft, because I definitely remember it being blocky as gently caress and now looks great?

it still is minecraft blocky but they've gotten better at hiding it over time.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Salt Fish posted:

did you make the game

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

it still is minecraft blocky but they've gotten better at hiding it over time.

yeah it's hard to believe but very nearly EVERYTHING is destructible voxels.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
7 Days to die is my fave survival crafting game. It just lacks an ending or plot but it's fun to build a murderbase and get to a decent level. I've spent ages on it. It's super fun with friends too.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Vib Rib posted:

Thanks, person who literally only showed up in this thread to post about how Icarus is good and the character-deleting bugs are endearing, actually.

It's a stark contrast to me, who showed up in this thread to post about how loving dumb the dev decisions in Icarus are.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I usually don't have this problem but I started Project Zomboid after not playing it for years and after spawning in a house I went around a few times, bashed a few zombies and realized I don't know what to do so I just quit the game.

I know it's probably make your own fun kinda game so I just need to do a challenge start instead (which are my favorite in survival games) but what goals do people set for themselves in Project Zomboid? And is there any ending planned? The game starts with "This is how you died" so I suppose not, but one can hope, right?

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 12, 2021

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Vintage story would benefit a lot from tightening up its ore finding system. The thing is that unlike minecraft, once you do find ore there's usually a fuckton of it. Like hundreds of blocks potentially.

You absolutely should turn on the extra prospecting pick mode though, unfortunately you'll have to pick a range and can only reset it on restart but I find that a six block radius is pretty good for figuring out where stuff is.

Also since ore tends to spawn in 1-2 block high flat disks you should generally dig straight shafts down, branch out and dig more straight shafts down. Which is also actually kind of cool. It makes a mine kind of just another thing that you're building in a weirdly satisfying way.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

I usually don't have this problem but I started Project Zomboid after not playing it for years and after spawning in a house I went around a few times, bashed a few zombies and realized I don't know what to do so I just quit the game.

I know it's probably make your own fun kinda game so I just need to do a challenge start instead (which are my favorite in survival games) but what goals do people set for themselves in Project Zomboid? And is there any ending planned? The game starts with "This is how you died" so I suppose not, but one can hope, right?

this has always been a pretty big problem for most of these sandbox games and zomboid is no exception, once you have played for a good 6 or 8 hours you've seen just about all the game has to show you except for a few unique landmarks.

e: 7 Days works around this by having a really big library of unique landmarks arranged randomly in a natural-seeming way

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 12, 2021

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The problem I was having with vintage story was that I spent the first 20 hours playing in survival mode. Surface metal doesn't exist in survival mode and you have to pan for your initial 300 or so copper nuggets to get all your mining gear.

I started a new custom game with the survival settings but the normal metal settings and am having a much more enjoyable experience.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

Zomboid's thing is that in time (which will be surprisingly fast) little by little the infrastructure breaks down and you have to become self-sufficient. Electric grid goes down, you don't have running water anymore, food stores in markets etc. won't respawn... most of the times I've played I never made it that far, though. The hordes get me way before I'm anywhere near that level of survivor.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Arven posted:

Surface metal doesn't exist in survival mode and you have to pan for your initial 300 or so copper nuggets to get all your mining gear.

Yeah it does

You may have somehow rolled the worst worldgen possible, but I've never seen a survival mode start where copper nuggets didn't pop up regularly every ~100 blocks

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Yeah it does

You may have somehow rolled the worst worldgen possible, but I've never seen a survival mode start where copper nuggets didn't pop up regularly every ~100 blocks

I'm playing with a friend and on her map it took us 4 days of searching a giant spiral before we finally found some copper that was I think almost 2K blocks away. We were starting to think it just didn't exist because of a glitch or something lol

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah I fully had the little copper rocks in mine but they weren't common enough to be a source of copper for smelting or anything. Honestly I think a sluice block of some kind would make that part of the game a lot better and provide a medium step between scrounging for tools and full on mining. It would make sense with the progression too, because you'd really want it about the time you had your saw and wooden planks ready

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

You can't get a saw without a considerable supply of copper (or trading if you get lucky I guess, but I wouldn't count on that). Anything gated behind forging isn't really going to help you bootstrap out of the stone age.

Panning is definitely a horseshit fallback if the RNG has screwed you though, and won't solve the basic problem since unless something is seriously bugged about your game no nuggets means there won't be any copper in the near underground either, so you'll blow all that time sitting around rolling the dice on panning over and over, finally save up enough for a pick, and then wear it out before you find any more metal. I think they just gotta either guarantee you'll get some around your starting location or more clearly signpost when an area's no good and you should move on than "check the manual and see if any ore veins match your local bedrock"

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 12, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone played starsand? Another early access game, looks like an Egyptian survival/exploring game with graboids

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

CuddleCryptid posted:

Been playing a lot (too much) on the server a goon set up the paste few days after not playing since A17 and the game is just real fuckin' good right now. Wrangled a few other goons into getting back into it and am hoping to get some Big Dumb Builds going soon. If you decide you wanna try it out and are willing to deal with bugs it's not a bad time.

Speaking of: I haven't encountered any significantly annoying bugs, and most of my performance issues have dropped off, though without a patch that means it was probably on my end. The only notable bug I experienced involved starting a mission outside of an outdoor POI only to have the ground beneath me 2-3 blocks start phasing in and out, though nothing bad happened as a result of it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I played a pretty good amount of A19, would you say the biggest change is the worldgen and new POIs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Yeah it does

Sorry, I was being hyperbolic- they might as well not exist. They're set to "very rare" on that setting. I found one once in that first twenty hours but couldn't find a trader that sold picks, so I had to resort to panning and gave up before I got anywhere.