Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Fabricated posted:

That sounds unbelievably fake but the C-SPAM thread is pretty bad so it wouldn't shock me if it ended up producing the equivalent case of the Fitness thread that recommended eating buckets of lard and ended with a goon in his 20's being put on statins

yeah you'd think it's too stupid to be true, but also 'a little is good so surely 10x is great' very much is a thing people do lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Buglord
I did a better this month with not eating out, so im down to pitch in a few bucks to buy the New Zealander an account here.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Your blood wouldn’t turn visibly thick with antibodies. That wouldn’t be how it works.

Someone in GBS lied to proactively get regenerion before a trip though on the idea it’d prevent covid. That feels like the current champ for weird medical fraud

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I think we'll have to wait for the nasal vaccine to come out and for C-SPAM to all load those into their respirators Bane-style to see any really crazy stories.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah you'd think it's too stupid to be true, but also 'a little is good so surely 10x is great' very much is a thing people do lol
If you click the link, it's even stupider. He got 10 vaccines in a single day, having been paid by people to take their shots for them.

He didn't do it because he thought he'd be 10x better protected (or maybe he did, but money is likely to be the main motivator, based on what we know).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

That has to be an elaborate troll.

It's the vaccine equivalent of hearing that dentists recommend brushing your teeth twice a day and then instead interpreting it as you must brushing your teeth constantly at every waking moment until your enamel is completely obliterated.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Please don't do the cross forums drama stuff either way. I'd rather not people talk poo poo about other subforums in here or come in here and imply that the other sub has the better covid thread. Just discuss covid and covid related stuff in here, thanks.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Your blood wouldn’t turn visibly thick with antibodies. That wouldn’t be how it works.

Someone in GBS lied to proactively get regenerion before a trip though on the idea it’d prevent covid. That feels like the current champ for weird medical fraud

Isn't regeneron approved for prep? Or just pep

Wang Commander fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 12, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This was a good thread which I think outlines something everybody sort of gets but can't necessarily articulate. It's really depressing in general for reasons other than COVID that the US has descended into a probably irretrievable culture war.

The anti-vaxx/anti-lockdown movement in Australia is loud but comparatively tiny at 5-10% of the population, and is a much weirder broad church: incense and crystal Instagram wellness influencers, older European immigrants who grew up under dictatorships and don't like the government telling them what to do, actual Nazis, dumbshits who legitimately believe all the stuff about Bill Gates and microchips, slightly less dumb people who've just read stuff on Facebook about it being new and untested, Indigenous people with historic mistrust of government intervention, etc etc.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Long-term cognitive impairment as a result of Covid-19 wouldn't be very surprising. Similar effects have been observed in recovered flu patients. And yet we don't shut down the entire country whenever there's a flu epidemic.

The fact that we are broadly unable or unwilling to suppress epidemics without "shutting down the country" is mostly a condemnation of our poor public health policy and hygiene.

The reasons we tolerate flu epidemics and their negative effects aren't very different from the reasons london took 400 years to stop dumping their cesspits into the Thames

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is like 4 twitter accounts that should just be banned from this thread.

Just make a rule against Eric Feigl-Ding, Anthony J Leonardi then Chise and Monica Gandhi.

Like it's those 4 accounts where even if the underlying link is real it's gonna screw up the thread for pages before anyone figures out what the link actually says vs what the tweet says.

My guess is Professor Beetus isn't keen to ban specific Twitter accounts and idk that it's necessary. Also I can't recall a single Gandhi tweet linked seriously and only a couple of Chise tweets (which didn't get much engagement). It's been a long time since Feigl-Ding popped up too.

With all those accounts (and others) it's worth keeping in mind they're middle-men/women. They're rarely if ever going to be the primary or only source of information, what you're really doing by posting their tweets is posting their take on whatever underlying data.

imo this thread talks about those Twitter personalities more than it actually reposts their tweets

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, they did the study in france:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2785832

In a study of 35 852 volunteers sleep problems, joint pain, back pain, muscular pain, sore muscles, fatigue, poor attention or concentration, skin problems, sensory symptoms (pins and needles, tingling or burning sensation), hearing impairment, constipation, stomach pain, headache, breathing difficulties, palpitations, dizziness, chest pain, cough, diarrhea, anosmia, and other symptoms correlated with self reported previous covid infection, but only loss of sense of smell correlated with actual prior infection antibodies. Everything else happened at the same rate if you really did or didn't have covid when you answered "I think I had it"

The validity of this article is entirely contingent on false positives a) being the authors' calculated number & not affected by things like waning and b) being widely dispersed among the negative group rather than being concentrated among the people claiming they had COVID even after they were told the negative sera results.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

My guess is Professor Beetus isn't keen to ban specific Twitter accounts and idk that it's necessary. Also I can't recall a single Gandhi tweet linked seriously and only a couple of Chise tweets (which didn't get much engagement). It's been a long time since Feigl-Ding popped up too.

With all those accounts (and others) it's worth keeping in mind they're middle-men/women. They're rarely if ever going to be the primary or only source of information, what you're really doing by posting their tweets is posting their take on whatever underlying data.

imo this thread talks about those Twitter personalities more than it actually reposts their tweets

Twitter personality takes have become worse than useless now that people like Feigl-Ding, Ghani, and Leonardi seem to be working harder to capture an audience than inform about the pandemic. I'm missing the point of posting their hot takes since primary sources are probably also posting on twitter or publicizing their work elsewhere online.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fritz the Horse posted:

The issue is they aren't giving their take. The specific trick is to do a sleight of hand where the post itself is entirely neutral. In literal terms posting "I don't like this" about a child death is a entirely straightforward tweet. He didn't ACTUALLY claim anything about the meaning of the tweet. Just that he disliked a child death, which is universal.

But the absolute clear meaning of the tweet (and how it was used in this thread) was to give a false impression covid had torn apart the child's brain (and by extension had done the same to driver's brains) and bury the content the child had diagnosed brain swelling and seizures months prior to the covid infection.

Every time it happens in this thread it's always the same few twitters. Just ban those twitters. Like you say they are never going to be the primary source, but they will over and over be the source of a news story stripped of context to pretend to be a different news story that would get more clicks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

freebooter posted:

This was a good thread which I think outlines something everybody sort of gets but can't necessarily articulate. It's really depressing in general for reasons other than COVID that the US has descended into a probably irretrievable culture war.

The anti-vaxx/anti-lockdown movement in Australia is loud but comparatively tiny at 5-10% of the population, and is a much weirder broad church: incense and crystal Instagram wellness influencers, older European immigrants who grew up under dictatorships and don't like the government telling them what to do, actual Nazis, dumbshits who legitimately believe all the stuff about Bill Gates and microchips, slightly less dumb people who've just read stuff on Facebook about it being new and untested, Indigenous people with historic mistrust of government intervention, etc etc.
I dunno if he isn't reading too much into it. Did the chuds really analyze how covid disproportionally affects minorities, instead of just going with fake gyna virus that will go away by Easter as dear leader said? Same leader that resisted wearing a mask because that's for pussies?

Moron anti-vaxxers exist everywhere sadly, here check out the vaccination rates for CZ (1/2/3 doses):

loving millenials man, boomers were right after all! Ijust can't wrap my head around this poo poo. The assholes refusing to vaccinate are, I'm pretty sure, the same ones who are the most mad about all possible restrictions. You reall want your pubs to remail closed or open until 10pm best case? Well that's a great way to do it!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I dunno if he isn't reading too much into it. Did the chuds really analyze how covid disproportionally affects minorities...

No, I can guarantee you there was approximately zero awareness of the actual impact to minority communities. There were plenty of comments about how immigrants were probably driving most of the spread, though. I think that twitter person ran away with a line of thought that sounded like it could be right but doesn't actually represent reality. If he were talking about the admin and not the base I'd be more inclined to believe it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mobby_6kl posted:

I dunno if he isn't reading too much into it. Did the chuds really analyze how covid disproportionally affects minorities, instead of just going with fake gyna virus that will go away by Easter as dear leader said? Same leader that resisted wearing a mask because that's for pussies?

Yeah, baby boomers are by far the most vaccinated group in the US. That article feels like a "telling you what you want to hear" type thing, trying to make a simple just so story that all our various enemies are actually the same guy.

Like conservative resistance to covid stuff is definitely real as a factor but it's way more people not caring or not thinking it effects them, more than some calculated "we like covid because we calculated racism!".

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It would pretty clearly be more informative to post the primary source without the tweet. It's a scientific publication so the authors already gave a summary in the abstract, and the tweet isn't attempting any kind of synthesis but just picking a random bit from the methods section and saying "ooooops sounds scary!"

(I guess he did "spongiosis" because it sounds like mad cow disease? I feel like "SARS-CoV-2 may invade the central nervous system by blood-cerebrospinal fluid barrier disruption" would already work)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Fritz the Horse posted:

It's been a long time since Feigl-Ding popped up too.
Just saying, I saw one of their tweet chains a few pages (maybe a couple days) back.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

JazzFlight posted:

Just saying, I saw one of their tweet chains a few pages (maybe a couple days) back.
Speaking of Dr. Dingaling

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1469647097708244992?s=20

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The takes are rephrased from Twitter and posted here anyway.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

separate from anything else, good grief is the brightly colored handwritten annotation obnoxious, makes it harder to read imo

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fritz the Horse posted:

separate from anything else, good grief is the brightly colored handwritten annotation obnoxious, makes it harder to read imo

It's supposed to do that, the intent is never clarity, it's always to make a baffling incomprehensible thing so you accept the ⚠️⚠️⚠️This is not good ⚠️⚠️⚠️ and blame yourself for not being able to see what is actually being talked about.

--

I don't know why the media isn't talking about how hosed we are

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 13, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am hesitant to make a hard rule on accounts for a couple reasons. One is this:

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

The takes are rephrased from Twitter and posted here anyway.

Which is something we're going to run into regardless.

The other is that I am already asking people to put more effort into analysis when they post a tweet or article. IMO there should be some room for people coming across that stuff to be able to post here and say "well here's what I think, but this is so and so, can someone help me understand why this is misleading?" Like, that's obviously not what Wang Commander did, but when UCS Hellmaker pointed out the significance of the age and prior conditions of the patient, Wang Commander realized that they'd read the entire paper wrong, which was hopefully helpful to them in recognizing why the tweet wasn't implying what he initially thought it did.

Not a perfect example and I will try to keep a close eye to make sure people aren't spamming or using the lack of a hard rule to continue to launder lovely takes or something, but I don't want people to feel like they can't ask for help analyzing something or for more clarification.

Looking at this, at least for now, on a case by case basis, is my preference, but if it becomes a larger problem I can revisit the idea of a hard rule in the future. I think Fritz's take was largely correct.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Covid success story. I got married and nobody got Covid (so far, 8 days later) from my wedding.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Hello covid thread. I know that I kinda lost my popularity a bit here, and a lot of people are pretty against my little project, but COVID SIMULATOR version 15 is live.

I just wanted to post about it, because this marks the end of my original 'to do" list for the game (and then some). I have "completed" what I originally set out to do. I set out to make a little visual aid that shows how quickly a virus can spread from person to person when you're not protected, and it quickly spiraled out of scope to be so much more. I am pretty proud of it, and even if everyone does not feel it is a valid tool to demonstrate the dangers covid poses, I hope that at least one person somewhere will look at it and go "I should probably be a bit more careful about this Covid thing." Even if it does end up labeling me a "doomer.".

How it started:

how it ended up.

Right now I'm in an odd spot. With my list done, I can go a million different directions. I could be done with it as is, I could do some improvements, I could make it more game, or more realistic simulator... I could do a steam version. I don't know. For now I hope at least someone just enjoys playing with it :)

Covid Simulator is still a FREE project https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wang Commander posted:

Isn't regeneron approved for prep? Or just pep

Just post exposure in the U.S..

In the EU, where it has the very cool name ‘Ronapreve’, it can be given pre-exposure.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I don’t think anyone disliked your game for what it is: a video game about covid.

People disliked when you started talking about it as a real simulation and making real world predictions

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, baby boomers are by far the most vaccinated group in the US. That article feels like a "telling you what you want to hear" type thing, trying to make a simple just so story that all our various enemies are actually the same guy.

Like conservative resistance to covid stuff is definitely real as a factor but it's way more people not caring or not thinking it effects them, more than some calculated "we like covid because we calculated racism!".

There is a pre-internet/post-internet thing going on here too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mooseontheloose posted:

There is a pre-internet/post-internet thing going on here too.

I think a lot is the intersection of how much someone thinks covid might harm them vs how much they feel the restrictions harm them.

Like an elderly person would know they are high risk. Someone younger? Eh.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

nexous posted:

Covid success story. I got married and nobody got Covid (so far, 8 days later) from my wedding.
Congrats, for the wedding thing and the COVID thing.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I like Bergstrom and he often has good insights into COVID data, but this criticism isn't accurate. Feigl-Ding isn't making any assertions that the note is relevant for, and he actually addresses the note (at least sample size part) in the next tweet of the thread.

The note is doing two things: 1) cautioning that the sample size of omicron cases with <25 weeks since AZ second dose is very small (because few people are getting AZ anymore), and 2) that AZ recipients tend to be older in general.

The small sample size of omicron AZ with recent vaccinations isn't relevant to Feigl-Ding's tweet because he only talks about 25+ weeks since second dose for AZ (and helpfully circled the relevant part of the graph). You can see that the width of the CIs for AZ and Pfizer omicron VE are pretty comparable in size for 25+ weeks since vax.

The older skew of AZ recipients would be relevant if we didn't adjust for age and wanted to draw conclusions about the relative effectiveness of AZ and Pfizer, or about AZ VE in a more general population. Feigl-Ding's doesn't discuss any of those relationships.

Feigl-Ding's actual claims are more or less the same as the authors':
1) Two-shot VE against Omicron is "not good"
2) Boosters seem to significantly improve protection against symptomatic infection

(1) is a bit fuzzy in wording since VE is likely initially high and declines over time, but I'd call it acceptable given that the data suggests that VE vs symptomatic infection is significantly lower vs omicron than vs delta for both AZ and Pfizer (one of the paper's conclusions) and because the UK's booster uptake is still very low and most people are months out from their second doses.

(2) is just the author's conclusion and demonstrated in the figures.

Feigl-Ding does have tweets that ignore important aspects of the data, but this isn't one of them.

E: Bergstrom has also been stuck on age confounding for waning / booster efficacy and still occasionally tweets out unwarranted skepticism of studies that properly account for age/comorbidities. It's not as bad as Vincent Racaniello (the TWiV guy) who went way off the deep end with the fringe "Delta isn't more transmissible or deadly, it's all confounding" stuff, but it's still disappointing.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 13, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Coldrice posted:

Hello covid thread. I know that I kinda lost my popularity a bit here, and a lot of people are pretty against my little project, but COVID SIMULATOR version 15 is live.

I just wanted to post about it, because this marks the end of my original 'to do" list for the game (and then some). I have "completed" what I originally set out to do. I set out to make a little visual aid that shows how quickly a virus can spread from person to person when you're not protected, and it quickly spiraled out of scope to be so much more. I am pretty proud of it, and even if everyone does not feel it is a valid tool to demonstrate the dangers covid poses, I hope that at least one person somewhere will look at it and go "I should probably be a bit more careful about this Covid thing." Even if it does end up labeling me a "doomer.".

How it started:

how it ended up.

Right now I'm in an odd spot. With my list done, I can go a million different directions. I could be done with it as is, I could do some improvements, I could make it more game, or more realistic simulator... I could do a steam version. I don't know. For now I hope at least someone just enjoys playing with it :)

Covid Simulator is still a FREE project https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator

FWIW you certainly have my endorsement and I think most of the criticism you have received in here has been constructive. I don't know what kind of reach it has had, but I hope at least a few eyes have been opened to how quickly covid can rip through a workplace.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What would be the possible side effects of getting 10 vaccines in a single day? I don't want to derail I'm legitimately curious

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

What would be the possible side effects of getting 10 vaccines in a single day? I don't want to derail I'm legitimately curious
I'm not exactly sure, but the cell phone reception you'd get would be epic.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Disclaimer: speculation. Consult an immunologist or infectious disease doc for a more competent answer.

Probably would just have really bad side effects? At that point you're kind of simulating an active infection without actually having viral replication. Fever, chills, fatigue. You'd be a really great wifi hotspot tho.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lmfao thanks my plan is to take 20 vaccines and go out in the woods because I hate not having cell reception in the mountains.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think the reaction around the injection site alone would take your arm out of commission for a while.

So try alternating.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

dwarf74 posted:

I'm not exactly sure, but the cell phone reception you'd get would be epic.

hell, cellphones would stick to the injection site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It’s a liquid injected into the muscle so this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!