Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's neat! Immediately gives mom and pop Italian restaurant vibes!

Might throw off the scale, but might be neat to elevate that a few blocks off the street and put in some stairs, and a few barred basement windows. Basically like 1/3 of the normal room height, underneath for a foundation and view of a basement. When I see that window dressing and whatnot I also think of basement stairs in the sidewalk out front, and those metal cellar sidewalk coverings that you see in old and densely developed cities, where deliveries are slid down into the cellar.

Inside the first floor room you could do 1x1 checkered red and white tiles for tablecloths perhaps, and a kitchen off to the side.

I don't know if that's what you were going for, but with the dark siding it gives real nice seedy vibes, and mafia restaurant seems like a really neat and original idea you could do a lot with and have all sorts of small easter eggs and scenes inside. Otherwise a bar might be a good idea as well.

Thanks for the feedback on the vibes you get, that's appreciated. Not really sure what I was aiming at (I should probably work on that, lol) but that helps.

As for the goal of the thing itself, ultimately the entirely model will be nothing but facades. This is the sort of thing I'm trying to build:

Using pictures of models as above and real-world locations like these as inspiration:

So on the one hand, it means I really don't have to dig deep into the buildings themselves, but on the other hand, it means my build envelope is pretty limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Just my two cents, you're gonna want to focus on a sturdy build that can support being slid in between the shelves and won't be squeezed broken by the weight of the books on either side, then once that's done, what you can focus on is small details, mini builds like benches, vending machines, street lamps, cats, gashapon machines, and greebling on the buildings. Signs, posters, graffiti, all sorts of texture detail that can add more life to the scene. It's what I'd do, keep at it, it's a great idea!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How good is the Studio stability checker? I’ve been keeping an eye on it as I go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My approach would be aim for a build based on the width of a 9 or 11 length liftarm. I'd build the facades as thin as possible and use hinges to angle them slightly to give some forced perspective as it goes further into the bookcase. Could probably get a curving alley effect too if you angled one wall but not the other. Something like this.. except built with strength in mind. It shouldn't be hard to build a solid structure with more technic bricks/liftarms.

It's definitely a cool idea and now it's got me thinking.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's a cool approach, I really like it, thanks. Orienting all the studs inwards on the alley is huge, for sure.

I've just always tinkered and futzed, never really built with much intent, so these sorts of techniques are novel to me, for sure.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Bad Munki posted:

How good is the Studio stability checker? I’ve been keeping an eye on it as I go.

It's mostly useful for checking if you've got floating sections that aren't attached to anything in my experience, which can happen quite easily once you start tinkering with a design. It'll also point out "weak" connections, but it can be pretty conservative in that regard so use your judgement.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Made another speeder. Like my previous one it started with a few large, rare coral pieces from Friends and Vidyio (in this case the arches and domes). Also tried to make it look distinct from the previous one while still having some resemblence.

Not sure we've got enough large coal pieces to make a third in the series.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmmm, first time I've had this happen in a set. I've gone ahead and requested a replacement, hope it doesn't take long.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I get mad when I can't get the stickers on straight, too.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Chairchucker posted:

Hmmm, first time I've had this happen in a set.

Sure, sure, don't worry about it, it can happen to anyone

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This popped up on my YT. It's a fun show and this fits here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyX9w05JHuQ

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Your LEGO has Peyronie’s disease.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bad Munki posted:

Thanks for the feedback on the vibes you get, that's appreciated. Not really sure what I was aiming at (I should probably work on that, lol) but that helps.

As for the goal of the thing itself, ultimately the entirely model will be nothing but facades. This is the sort of thing I'm trying to build:

Using pictures of models as above and real-world locations like these as inspiration:

So on the one hand, it means I really don't have to dig deep into the buildings themselves, but on the other hand, it means my build envelope is pretty limited.

Ok, that's an incredible idea! That's got me thinking as well. I really like xzzy's suggestion of using hinges and plates to add a curve along one side for forced perspective, depending on depth limitations even go for a second curve. Greebled round 1x1 tiles occasionally offset by a bit along the base would look cobblestoney, could even make irregular sizes with half round plates.

I think snot plates and bricks are fairly strong once it's assembled, but some bracing along the top and bottom in the front and back would be good, the front could even be a sign or decorative archway or bridge, eg venice canal. If you offset by a bit and do a few studs thickness for the buildings, you could make a strong side and hide it with a front facing facade.

Even adapting some modular facade ideas but mixing and matching would look great! I know our Billy bookcases are a little over a modular baseplate, so 32 studs deep. A single building facade on the left and two different ones on the right curving in would look amazing.

This is really original and I could see a well executed moc of this getting a ton of traction on lego ideas if you were to put it up there! A small lego miniworld would seamlessly fit in any home and look amazing

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently the Seinfeld, Queer Eye, Birds of Paradise, and Adidas Originals Superstar sets were reduced in price by 30% on Lego.com. There’s also double VIP points right now so if you were considering buying them now would be a good time to do so

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bad Munki posted:

Just chiming in to add to the 'cool idea' crew and also suggesting you add the Shambles in York as inspiration?

Allegedly the inspiration for how Diagon Alley looks in the Harry Potter films

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Very cool idea. My thinking is to do something like Van Gogh's Cafe Terrace at Night to make effective use of Lego's inconsistent light yellows.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

RatHat posted:

Apparently the Seinfeld, Queer Eye, Birds of Paradise, and Adidas Originals Superstar sets were reduced in price by 30% on Lego.com. There’s also double VIP points right now so if you were considering buying them now would be a good time to do so

Seinfeld showing full price for me in the US. Is it double vip for everything? Lego needs to send better emails

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I see Birds of Paradise for 30% off, Adidas and Queer Eye 20% off.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There’s a ton of stuff on sale at Amazon.ca too, including a massive 40% off the World map

EDIT: Apparently this isn’t a full list either
EDIT2: Lantern Festival 25% off

:siren:Mois Eisley Cantina 40% off:siren:

RatHat fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 11, 2021

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Has that pizza cutter/ lamp looking droid thing from the last (if only) star wars been on sale since day 1? I'd love to know their sales figures. I'd put a wager that it must be the worst selling set relative to the amount produced.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Amazon why you gotta do the U.S. like that

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Now that I have some space to display it, I got my UCS Imperial Shuttle out of the tote it was in and have started re-assembling/dusting it off to get it ready to show off. But I ran accross a few things I wasn't sure about, and could use some opinions on:

1 - There's some yellowing going on:

Is there/what is the best way to clean this up? Maybe I can't help it, but I'd love to be able to do something if I could.

2 - The sides of the ship, specifically the shell that goes around the mechanisms that raise/lower the wings, are apart:

I tried to just press them back together, which didn't work. And I can't simply remove the wings and re-attach, because IIRC there's this sorta skeleton/mechanism that runs throughout the inside the shuttle to facilitate the wings going up and down. I'd like to find a way attach them fully without having to disassemble the whole thing, yknow?

3 - The stand. Does the shuttle just... sit on the stand? I guess it's pretty sturdy on it, but I would have thought there'd be a more secure thing going on there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It looks beyond hope. Probably should just buy a new one. You can just send the old one to me I don’t mind.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Serious answer soaking the parts in hydrogen peroxide should work afaik. As for everything else it looks like a building error. Would probably just rebuild it. You’ll need to take it apart to soak the parts anyways.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Serious answer soaking the parts in hydrogen peroxide should work afaik. As for everything else it looks like a building error. Would probably just rebuild it. You’ll need to take it apart to soak the parts anyways.

Basically this. A gentle hydrogen peroxide bath in direct sunlight for 4-5 hours should get rid of that yellow pretty easily. Resurrected a whole bucket of my childhood bricks that way. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse the bricks after they have their bath.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

veni veni veni posted:

If I have learned anything from ASMR keyboard and SNES restoration videos…hydrogen peroxide and if possible in a big clear bucket thing with UV lights shining on it overnight.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Ugh, stupid lego.com website. Accidentally redeemed the wrong VIP reward again. :(

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Feenix posted:

If I have learned anything from ASMR keyboard and SNES restoration videos…hydrogen peroxide and if possible in a big clear bucket thing with UV lights shining on it overnight.

Isn't UV light what yellows it in the first place?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

Isn't UV light what yellows it in the first place?

IIRC, no, it's the bromide fire retardant in the plastic coming to the surface and reacting with oxygen, yellowing the plastic. That's why it'll happen even if it's not in sunlight and why sometimes you'll see things like Super Nintendos where half the shell is yellowed while the other half looks fine--different plastic formulations between the top and bottom halves.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
There wasn't a news post for it, but Brickset added images for about a dozen new Polybag sets to the database. As usual, there's some really neat stuff in there.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Skios posted:

There wasn't a news post for it, but Brickset added images for about a dozen new Polybag sets to the database. As usual, there's some really neat stuff in there.

Really Lego? :chloe:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair that's a pretty cool robot build but yikes for making it a police thing.

Like if it was a search and rescue set with a fireman or EMT, gently caress yeah.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If it were a fireman robodog it would have a needle that extends and retracts with a menacing sound

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Brawnfire posted:

If it were a fireman robodog it would have a needle that extends and retracts with a menacing sound

:haw:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/dec/10/investing-in-lego-more-lucrative-than-gold-study-suggests

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

love how there's no mention of, you know, rental cost for the physical space required to store a bunch of unopened boxes of legos

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The Voice of Labor posted:

love how there's no mention of, you know, rental cost for the physical space required to store a bunch of unopened boxes of legos

You bury them in your neighbor's backyard. Duh.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
DO NOT LOOK UNDER THE BIRDBATH

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

f/s 1 lego dimensions beetlejuice slighty worm damaged $35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

The Voice of Labor posted:

I trade in Lego futures.