Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Large Testicles posted:

Login 1.5 hours ago, 2.5k queue "Ok, I can deal with this"

2002 at 200

Log back in, 5k queue.

I'm good for today.

This is coming very close to outright spoiling my experience of the game. I still haven't completed the main story despite taking last week off due to the peak time queues and a couple of unlucky internet crashes and I don't see how it'd even be possible to have a decent stab at the endgame until there's more servers online. If I could at least set up the queue and forget for a few hours it'd be one thing but even working from home I can't babysit my login for several hours to make sure I back my place back from any 2002s. Even if it's largely out of the hands of SE it is just starting to make (trying) to play the game a very sour experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

On the 2002's. Someone on Reddit did a packet capture and figured out what was going on.

You get 2002'd when you first try to log in if the login server is overloaded past 21k limit. Once you're in the queue, for whatever reason, every 15 minutes the client tears down its TCP session with the login server and starts a new one. If on that 15 minute tear down session/recreate session event, the login queue exceeds that limit, you get booted like you were just trying to log in for the first time. It's got nothing to do with your connection in general to the internet and all to do with a queue logic that's pretty odd.

This is definitely not the intended queue logic. Just an unintended interaction between two different parts of the codebase that were extremely rarely triggered in the first place before now.

Probably some developer added a 15 minute kill/restart to clean up old corrupt/dead/bugged connections, thinking that "15 minutes is way longer than any queue time we've seen, if it goes this long something is almost certainly going wrong so it should be fine to restart".
Then a different developer added that code to auto reject new connections when the server is maxed out, not even thinking about the 15-minuite reconnect thing because they didn't know it was there and it never came up before.

Now all of a sudden the codebase is seeing new unprecedented loads, regularly seeing queue times way over 15 minutes and login servers loaded to capacity, and it's poking parts of the codebase that have been silent and irrelevant until now.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
It is completely stunning to me that the community is erupting over the state of the servers. If this were WoW - if there were 3+ hour queues where the client can't even keep itself open, there would be riots. I'm so sick of having to babysit the client while in a loving queue. The fact that this wasn't fixed in a day demonstrates a kind of technical incompetence that I cannot even fathom for an operation this large.

FFXIV's story telling is so far ahead, but it's so technically incompetent - it boggles the mind.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 12, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think the errors are probably a lot rarer than you're assuming they are. I've seen like, one 2002 error since early access myself. "Technical incompetence", is a bit much

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It is completely stunning to me that the community is erupting over the state of the servers. If this were WoW - if there were 3+ hour queues where the client can't even keep itself open, there would be riots. FFXIV's story telling is so far ahead, but it's technical competence is so far behind.

It’s working great in Japan where all the developers live and play. That’s a huge part of the issue. Look at the RMT issue that used to plague the game. The RMT spam simply wasn’t a thing on the JP servers. Yoshi P. didn’t really understand how bad it was until he logged into a NA server and got a ton of RMT spam the moment zoned in.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I think the errors are probably a lot rarer than you're assuming they are. I've seen like, one 2002 error since early access myself. "Technical incompetence", is a bit much

I have a wired connection and I have to visibly mind my login screen because it will guaranteed disconnect several times through a 3k queue

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

I was about to post something similar. I managed to fight through a bunch of times and finish the MSQ, but I just can't muster up the desire to deal with all the bullshit to do stuff like level alt jobs or do roulettes. I guess I hope that there's lot of people like me and maybe things will work themselves out in the next few weeks, but I also think that's probably not great if they want to retain the big rush of people as long-term subscribers.

What I suspect they'll do once they get their hardware delivered is do a full month callback campaign with free transfers to the new worlds to get people back and playing, possibly with some other incentive attached. It'll be a financial bath, but it'll let them recapture a decent portion of the people who otherwise couldn't get their foot in the door at all during launch.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

My group basically has given up playing for the first few weeks here, and I'm on the edge. I've personally seen 2002 probably 50+ times trying to get into the game, and that's roughly the same story for the crew of people I play with.

The nature of this problem has been totally solved circa 10 years ago. 'Incompetence' is generous here.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No one is going to remember that this happened within a month. Just like with Raubahn EX

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

The nature of this problem has been totally solved circa 10 years ago. 'Incompetence' is generous here.

COVID and crypto weren't factors 10 years ago. The only incompetence here is yours

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's not even the most hilarious MMO launch of 2021 thanks to New World.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I’ve sat in probably seven hours of queue since EW released and haven’t seen any errors or been disconnected a single time

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

gay_crimes posted:

I’ve sat in probably seven hours of queue since EW released and haven’t seen any errors or been disconnected a single time

congrats?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Honestly Raubahn EX was a much funnier and also more hosed up issue, that absolutely didn't need to happen because it was a problem they'd already solved in HW (and still ultimately not that big a problem in the grand scheme of things)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

isk posted:

COVID and crypto weren't factors 10 years ago. The only incompetence here is yours

Yeah they'd been trying to put up new servers since months before EW even released, when a lot of wow players joined and the player numbers ballooned, but poo poo's slow what with the silicon shortages and the limitations on international travel meaning they can't easily fly people out to the data centers.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Honestly Raubahn EX was a much funnier and also more hosed up issue, that absolutely didn't need to happen because it was a problem they'd already solved in HW (and still ultimately not that big a problem in the grand scheme of things)

Thinking about the people who got past only to get stuck in the void cuz they left Susano's arena while sitting down or whatever.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009
I can only play on wifi, so 2002 errors are pretty regular for me. I don't get mad because I understand that this is something the developers don't have the ability to fix right now. I'm lucky because I did manage to finish the MSQ within my allotted time off, but even while I was going through the MSQ, it didn't seem like it was worth getting upset over. It'll fix itself eventually.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

gay_crimes posted:

:bravo:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

gay_crimes posted:

:hai: Yeah getting the impression this is a vocal minority kind of thing.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

It's not even the most hilarious MMO launch of 2021 thanks to New World.

I want to hear the postmortem from this team.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

homeless snail posted:

No one is going to remember that this happened within a month. Just like with Raubahn EX

yea this sucks rear end right now, nobody's saying you're not allowed to go 'this fuckin sucks', but these things never last and are never longterm memories as long as the game itself is good.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
FWIW I think it's totally understandable to be frustrated with the queues. I'm not looking forward to camping the login queue tomorrow so I can play after work. It should be a better experience. That said, it's important to bark up the right tree

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Thinking about the people who got past only to get stuck in the void cuz they left Susano's arena while sitting down or whatever.

also yea SB's launch was way worse, like 'multiple points will make this game literally unplayable, RIP' worse, at least once you defeat the queue primal you're pretty much safe.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

between the early morning insta queues making me wake up early if I want to play comfortably, and my self imposed rule to pick up a book to while away the time every time there's a 4,000 person queue, I can credit FF14 with incentivizing me to become a functional adult more than any other game I have ever played

thank u Mr. FINAL FANTASY XIV

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

also yea SB's launch was way worse, like 'multiple points will make this game literally unplayable, RIP' worse, at least once you defeat the queue primal you're pretty much safe.

Three hours of continually babysitting a queue to be able to play after work is functionally not being able to play the game at all. All of my IRL friends have thrown in the towel until the situation is resolved because for the foreseeable future the game is for all intents and purposes unplayable on week days

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming the Live Ops war room is wall papered with the 'This Is Fine' dog tiling.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

multijoe posted:

Three hours of continually babysitting a queue to be able to play after work is functionally not being able to play the game at all. All of my IRL friends have thrown in the towel until the situation is resolved because for the foreseeable future the game is for all intents and purposes unplayable on week days

Same with my group. Oh well. There are other games and im hoping by the time i resub this issue will be way behind them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It’s really not an issue of competence. There is, physically, no solution in the current market conditions. Couple that with their biggest competitor imploding over the summer and sending their refugees here and well

It is what it is.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

gay_crimes posted:

homeless snail posted:

:hai: Yeah getting the impression this is a vocal minority kind of thing.

Just because a problem isn’t happening to either of you doesn’t make you the majority. A number of people in this thread have said that they have to babysit queues or get complete dc failures.

I too have to babysit queues because of DCs every 2-3 hours but I had no problem with my queue resetting until today. Now I get kicked every 15 minutes and it’s a dice roll on whether it resets or not.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

yeah I don't really see how you can claim this is them loving up when Yoshida is on record that SE tried to outright buy more servers at above market price and still couldn't get enough capacity because there is literally not enough commercially available equipment in the world right now to fix this.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if WoW could have kept its poo poo together for one more patch it would be a totally different world, smdh

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I've said it before, but the situation is immeasurably more frustrating because there really isn't any blame to apportion. They likely spent all of their efforts going into Covid on securing whatever hardware they could get that would enable the servers to handle the projected load, and then the game's popularity explodes four and a half months before the official launch date of their next expansion. The kind of playerbase growth FFXIV has had this year is the kind of fantasy scenario online game developers worldwide go to bed dreaming about because it basically doesn't happen, and if it does, it doesn't happen to your 8 year old subscription-based MMO.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Finished this on Friday, loved it to death, and am still trying to collect some of my thoughts about it. It was a fantastic end to the epic, but in the end I don't think it was quite as strong as Shadowbringers, which was a much more focused plot.

The emotional climax, to me, seemed to be the journey to Elpis and getting to meet Venat as a person and seeing how she was driven to sunder the world -- that particular cutscene had me a weepy mess, along with some of the conversations there ("Has it been good? Has it been worthwhile?"). And to a lesser extent, traveling to meet Crystalmom in the present day and showing her how humanity is strong enough to find its own way, which was a great triumphant yet bittersweet moment.

Everything after that was a little bit rote -- we knew from that point that the game would end by traveling to Meteion's world and stopping the Final Days, and they did the Final Fantasy thing where the Final Boss is a character we were literally just introduced to, and it's actually a sweet, lost little girl who I imagine most of us wanted to save rather than fight. It's not the sort of thing that gives you that ultimate determined showdown like we had with Emet-Selch in Shadowbringers. And at no point did I think any of the Scions were actually going to remain dead, which made a lot of the final zone ring a little false for me (although G'raha Tia's turn to sacrifice himself did get to me a little bit.) I did love the final battle and the slow walk to the final scene, along with everything that came after it, though. I play as White Mage but my character is a big Highlander male, and it was super satisfying to see him get to beat Zenos down with his own hands.

And another kinda-spoilery shot that I just loved:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've played constantly since release and, at least by my experience, the queues have been much more stable since the patch few days ago.

I went from needing to babysit a queue for 2-3 hours, relogging every time I got kicked for fear of losing my place, to being able to safely go do things in other rooms without worrying about 2002 errors.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

I’m wondering: what’s the cheapest way to get to the moon from Sharlyan?

Set a free/cheap destination there. Failing that, the moon is connected to Garlemald, and I'm not 100% sure but I think the closest you can get is to talk to the woman in Sharlayan who teleports you to Thavnair for free and go from there

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

yeah I don't really see how you can claim this is them loving up when Yoshida is on record that SE tried to outright buy more servers at above market price and still couldn't get enough capacity because there is literally not enough commercially available equipment in the world right now to fix this.

There is a ton of nuance and detail here, as well as a massive bucket of non-trivial problems to solve, but the solution to this is that your out-of-game infra shouldn't be self hosted. You push those pieces to AWS et al. It is bonus complex in that such a transition will take years and if such a change were to happen in time for 7.0, you'd probably have to start talking 6 months ago.

Regardless, we are talking about a game who's queue system can't handle packet loss, so...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is a ton of nuance and detail here, as well as a massive bucket of non-trivial problems to solve, but the solution to this is that your out-of-game infra shouldn't be self hosted. You push those pieces to AWS et al. It is bonus complex in that such a transition will take years and if such a change were to happen in time for 7.0, you'd probably have to start talking 6 months ago.

Regardless, we are talking about a game who's queue system can't handle packet loss, so...

AWS literally went down this week.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I want to say that it is on SE a bit for their infamously janky backend that they've never committed to comprehensively fixing despite FF14 being a tremendously successful earner for the company finally coming back to bite them in the arse, but that aside most people aren't even blaming SE as far as I can tell

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

And took a shitload of games with it, it even made the actual news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Framing these two posts next to each other lmao