Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sold the old bike, didn't think it would happen before the spring

Installed lower footpegs on the Zero, also installed the OEM heated grips but need to run to the dealer to get them activated, sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

surely someone's working on hacking the firmware to enable all the features right

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

surely someone's working on hacking the firmware to enable all the features right

This predates the paywall stuff. You just need to flip a bit to tell the dash the grips are installed so I can use them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I seriously need to get back on the ball re-assembling my DRZ engine. I’ve been so stressed and overworked leading up christmas that I just somehow haven’t made the effort though.

So I’ll offer this. Today I spent a good chunk of the afternoon going through the OEM manual trying to understand all the nuances of reassembly. This is probably famous last words, but it seems very straight forward. Disassembly was a bit of an adventure because I did it without much guidance knowing I had a new engine lower just waiting for me. But now that it’s time to slap the top end on the bottom end I’m getting cold feet.

Not sure why, it’s all just the same stuff I did only in reverse. I guess the only real issue could be is if I failed to label my ziploc bags well enough and I’ve got parts left over.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think that’s normal. I just replaced an axle seal on my truck the other day. When it was in place and ready for everything to go back together, I got kind of rattled about getting it all in the right place in the right order and making sure I’d remembered to torque everything just right.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

oops

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Every time I start something for the first time after doing a cam belt/chain or having had the top end apart, I cringe and cross my fingers and toes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think the timing part is what I'm most worried about even though it looks fairly simple.

I just need to remember to carefully read and follow directions thoroughly and stop if I get to a point where I'm interpreting or guessing at the meaning of something.

Literally the whole reason I'm here is that instead of stopping and asking thumpertalk or in here about a specific spring, I was "huh I guess that's right, I mean it's just a spring what's the worst that could happen?"

But I've got a bunch of vacation next week so if I can heat the shed well enough I might try to make a figurative dent in the engine.

I ended up stripping the old lower end of a bunch of things, but the replacement bottom end I got I haven't opened. The crank feels smooth and doesn't have any play that my existing lower end didn't (which is ... imperceptible at best), and I'm not in the mood to start replacing bearings if I do end up opening it. I'm also kind of in "leave well enough alone" mode right now -- the new low end shifts, the cam and counterbalance feel good, and I'm OK to leave it at that. My goal right now will be to make sure all the parts on the new lower are in place and secure, locktited where appropriate, torqued, then to get the top end on.

Only thing I might do is replace the cam chain since the old one had 40k km on it and I don't know if they really wear, but if they do I'm not sure how I'd measure, and if I did and it required some precision equipment to verify I don't have it, so maybe safer to just buy a replacement since they're not expensive.

e: Or maybe I just leave well enough alone and re-assemble with all the parts that were literally working fine until I tried to monkey with the engine.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 23, 2021

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Wake up, thread!

I finally got off my COVID-lite recovering rear end and started to change the R100GS tires. I've got the front 90/90-21 tire on, but the fucker won't seat. I've removed the valve and have a 1" ratchet strap cinched on the circumference in a desperate bid to flare out the beads. My compressor puts out about 100psi but the gaps are still way too big for it to get any pressure. I've brought it inside the house to warm it up and hopefully soften it a bit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Guess who did a bunch of work to the bike yesterday, then got on and turned on the gas and started it up without reconnecting the petcock to the fuel line

👉🙃👈

Fortunately I realized what was going on after spilling only maybe two cups, and nothing was hot yet so it didn't catch fire. Good reminder to always have a fire extinguisher close at hand anytime you're working on a vehicle, though

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I honed the cylinder on my Tenere, when the groves was removed it was between sizes and ofc slightly out of round..
So I ordered the next size up piston from kedo, found a old small shop that only does boring and honing, and shipped the cylinder and new head to them today.
From what they said on the phone postage both ways will most likely be more expensive than the quick job itself.

Lets see what the final price will be.

Another thing I've tried and next time will send direct to an actual shop. I got the measuring tools to know what to order next time atleast.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

AnnoyBot posted:

Wake up, thread!

I finally got off my COVID-lite recovering rear end and started to change the R100GS tires. I've got the front 90/90-21 tire on, but the fucker won't seat. I've removed the valve and have a 1" ratchet strap cinched on the circumference in a desperate bid to flare out the beads. My compressor puts out about 100psi but the gaps are still way too big for it to get any pressure. I've brought it inside the house to warm it up and hopefully soften it a bit.

So a warm tire, bashing the thing with a mallet and some dawn soap did the trick. I suspect it was the dawn that made the difference, because warm + mallet + 409 spray didn't do it.

Now I have total freedom until tomorrow at 6pm- the wife and kids are in the city, and the Airstream is out of the driveway so I'm not physically locked in the yard. All batteries are charged and tires are mostly aired up. It's riding time.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

finally wired it for heated gloves / jacket / face shield instead of running everything off the cigarette port which looked stupid lol

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Changed the oil on my MT03 and I'm mostly certain I didn't gently caress anything up. Going to check the level again in the sight glass tomorrow but I stuck by the manual 2.1l, granted with no funnel there was a little spillage.

Pox on the guy who did it last time and CRANKED the oil filter on, holy poo poo dude.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Changed the oil on my MT03 and I'm mostly certain I didn't gently caress anything up. Going to check the level again in the sight glass tomorrow but I stuck by the manual 2.1l, granted with no funnel there was a little spillage.

Pox on the guy who did it last time and CRANKED the oil filter on, holy poo poo dude.

Gonna lol in a years time when you realize you are also that guy and the correct tightening is scary loose.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Gonna lol in a years time when you realize you are also that guy and the correct tightening is scary loose.

I did it hand tight with oily hands, I can't have done it that tight... right :v:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

if you don't torque your oil filter to spec you might as well just take it to the dealer for maintenance

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

if you don't torque your oil filter to spec you might as well just take it to the dealer for maintenance

I took it to my local Italian bike dealer for the last oil change and look what happened.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I buy shop manuals for all my bikes, and way high up on my list of reasons is torque specs. Fittings seem to range from “how am I not stripping threads” to “that’s going to rattle out by the end of the driveway”, and I’m not experienced enough to understand why.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I torque to spec as well, but I've also been told that if I'm torquing something with an allan key, as soon as the key's long arm starts to distort, you've torqued the bolt enough.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BabelFish posted:

I buy shop manuals for all my bikes, and way high up on my list of reasons is torque specs. Fittings seem to range from “how am I not stripping threads” to “that’s going to rattle out by the end of the driveway”, and I’m not experienced enough to understand why.

There is a very simple correlation between thread dimensions, fastener length and tightening torque (this does not apply to alloy/ti bolts), eventually you get to the point of being able to do a guesstimate in your mind based on the size and knowing exactly what any given 'right' tightness feels. The whole point of torquing is to get the bolt to stretch a certain amount, this amount is directly determined by the bolt dimensions. Eventually you can just judge the stretch directly and don't need reassuring numbers; the only time this isn't true is when you have something very sensitive where they need to be within a single percentage point of each other, like cylinder heads, fork pinch bolts etc

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

BabelFish posted:

It's worth trying to get an intuitive sense of what constitutes reasonable torque for any given fastener anyway, because those manuals are as vulnerable to misprints as anything else, and that includes the torque specs.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I torque until fluid comes out then back it off two full turns.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

time for this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KpbCbOiYQ&t=950s

as you can see, the proper technique is torque until the wrench clicks, then 720 degrees

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That video causes me physical pain every time but also manages to be a bit of an ego boost, because despite still being an incredibly novice level amateur mechanic at least I'll never be as big a meathead as that guy

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

time for this again

as you can see, the proper technique is torque until the wrench clicks, then 720 degrees

lol what a maroon. everyone knows you tighten til it loosens, then back out a quarter turn and let the next owner find it

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is that a 1/2" torque wrench on an M6 allen screw? Surprising the head didn't just round out. Also I've seen this before but I didn't catch what he was trying to do before. It sounds like he thinks he's...retorquing the stator cover screws? As if they were head bolts? But also he's doing head bolt retorque procedure wrong? On bolts that aren't head bolts and don't need retorquing?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 17, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’ll wear in before it wears out

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

finally wired it for heated gloves / jacket / face shield instead of running everything off the cigarette port which looked stupid lol

mind linking the panel mount connectors you used? it'll save me a few minutes scrolling through bullshit on Amazon

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

mind linking the panel mount connectors you used? it'll save me a few minutes scrolling through bullshit on Amazon

they're gerbing ports. you can also get them on revzilla, but they look to be OOS at the moment. no complaints with them though. running the front port off a wireless controller / harness and the rear is direct connected to the battery since my mosko jacket has its own controller

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

they're gerbing ports. you can also get them on revzilla, but they look to be OOS at the moment. no complaints with them though. running the front port off a wireless controller / harness and the rear is direct connected to the battery since my mosko jacket has its own controller

Thanks for sharing the link. Think I'll end up making my own anyway, $23 each for those is asinine

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

Thanks for sharing the link. Think I'll end up making my own anyway, $23 each for those is asinine

Lol 100%. idk why their ports are so expensive when their wireless controller kit is only like $50 or w/e

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Motorcycle tax, for sure. They're just standard DC barrel plugs, they're not even proprietary (except for there being a million minor variations of the drat things, so good luck finding the exact spec on RS Components that'll match what Gerbing use)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Renaissance Robot posted:

Motorcycle tax, for sure. They're just standard DC barrel plugs, they're not even proprietary (except for there being a million minor variations of the drat things, so good luck finding the exact spec on RS Components that'll match what Gerbing use)

To be dair, usually a few very common variants are used. Any manufacturer not doing center positive is an rear end in a top hat though.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

For a few quid on AliExpress, you can get panel Mount magnetic connectors and cables.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0lIVau

I can’t speak for their “Stiction”, and these don’t seem to have any covers (and a variety with covers *do* exist, I just can’t find them)

But might be a cheap alternative?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sagebrush posted:

time for this again

Please tell me this is a parody

also that torque wrench is poo poo. I bought one because it was cheap and wound up tossing it

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 20, 2022

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

For a few quid on AliExpress, you can get panel Mount magnetic connectors and cables.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0lIVau

I can’t speak for their “Stiction”, and these don’t seem to have any covers (and a variety with covers *do* exist, I just can’t find them)

But might be a cheap alternative?

interesting. I may try to wire these to my face shield since that’s the cheapest piece of heated gear I have

chinese magnets screams it’ll stick like poo poo though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Marxalot posted:

Please tell me this is a parody

Lol nope. I haven't watched the entire series, because it would make me want to die, but I think he bought that Ducati with some unspecified problems and decided he would ""fix"" it and flip it for a profit, having never worked on a motorcycle before.

Just remember: anytime you buy a bike, that guy could have been the PO.

In another video he drills a hole in the gas tank to drain the fuel

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

interesting. I may try to wire these to my face shield since that’s the cheapest piece of heated gear I have

chinese magnets screams it’ll stick like poo poo though

I don't trust these things to handle much current though, and a Gerbing liner by itself is rated at 6.4A at max draw before you throw glove liners or anything else on the circuit with it. Not sure what your heated visor pulls, but it might be low enough that these connectors would work for that.

There are some other variations of these connectors listed as "high current" but not a single one has any specs listed other than dimensions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That's why you buy an extra one so you can bench test it to see how much current it can really take without getting smoky.