Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

AWS literally went down this week.

Yeah, so if I'm putting my chips on a service, I'll choose AWS / GCP over any self hosted solution. Yep - The Cloud is not bulletproof, but it's way closer on average than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
i've never got a 2002 error either, today i'm sitting in a 6,000 person queue. obviously the problem is somewhere between 'entirely square's fault' and 'entirely the player's fault' and 'entirely the ISP's fault'.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm starting to see why Yoshi-P looked so defeated during the live letter he had to announce the release delay

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Oof. Imagine trying to play this during Thanksgiving week

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

There is a ton of nuance and detail here, as well as a massive bucket of non-trivial problems to solve, but the solution to this is that your out-of-game infra shouldn't be self hosted. You push those pieces to AWS et al. It is bonus complex in that such a transition will take years and if such a change were to happen in time for 7.0, you'd probably have to start talking 6 months ago.

Regardless, we are talking about a game who's queue system can't handle packet loss, so...

Aws is way more expensive than self hosting. It makes sense for a lot of businesses where the server costs are small next to your main business costs, because it lets you cut out a lot of constant-factor overhead, but in something like an MMO or a Pixar render farm where the server costs are a giant major part of your budget, switching to cloud-hosted is just gonna bankrupt you

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Facts:

1) Square Enix could probably have done some things better that would have made the systems more resistant to this kind of load.

2) In all likelihood there was no way to make the system completely protected against loads twice as big as it was designed for.

3) Most of the big things they could have done could only have been done so long ago that only someone with Mikoto's future vision could have predicted the need to do them at all.

4) Nobody is telling you that you're wrong for feeling unhappy that you can't get in and experience the end of the Warrior of Light's epic sage after all these years.

5) People are telling you that you're wrong if you're calling the creators of the game incompetent because they can't get their game network ready to shrug off such a massive unexpected increase in traffic in the middle of unprecedented conditions where new hardware is just not available. And they're right to, and you should feel bad.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Xarbala posted:

I'm starting to see why Yoshi-P looked so defeated during the live letter he had to announce the release delay

I am not looking forwards to the start of the next live letter.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And in that fleeting moment, they cry for the answer to the question: why, given accounts, are they meant to queue, to lose their place in it after two hours?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
cloud computing is a bunch of poo poo. aws is for the birds

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Phenotype posted:

Finished this on Friday, loved it to death, and am still trying to collect some of my thoughts about it. It was a fantastic end to the epic, but in the end I don't think it was quite as strong as Shadowbringers, which was a much more focused plot.

The emotional climax, to me, seemed to be the journey to Elpis and getting to meet Venat as a person and seeing how she was driven to sunder the world -- that particular cutscene had me a weepy mess, along with some of the conversations there ("Has it been good? Has it been worthwhile?"). And to a lesser extent, traveling to meet Crystalmom in the present day and showing her how humanity is strong enough to find its own way, which was a great triumphant yet bittersweet moment.

Everything after that was a little bit rote -- we knew from that point that the game would end by traveling to Meteion's world and stopping the Final Days, and they did the Final Fantasy thing where the Final Boss is a character we were literally just introduced to, and it's actually a sweet, lost little girl who I imagine most of us wanted to save rather than fight. It's not the sort of thing that gives you that ultimate determined showdown like we had with Emet-Selch in Shadowbringers. And at no point did I think any of the Scions were actually going to remain dead, which made a lot of the final zone ring a little false for me (although G'raha Tia's turn to sacrifice himself did get to me a little bit.) I did love the final battle and the slow walk to the final scene, along with everything that came after it, though. I play as White Mage but my character is a big Highlander male, and it was super satisfying to see him get to beat Zenos down with his own hands.

I think you hit the nail on the head why I didn't like the ending, and left the expansion feeling unsatisfied, even though Elpis was basically my fanfiction come to life and some of the best material in the game. Thank you for it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have beaten Endwalker. It was fantastic. Couldn't have asked for a better conclusion.
When the full background music for Ultima Theume comes in...man.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Saying all these problems were easily fixable is dumb, bit it's also clear that there are some poor design decisions within the client that are exacerbating issues.

The main problem is this 15mim reconnect when the client is in the queue. I can think of several reasons why it might be a good idea to restart these connections periodically, but the fact that it's done with very little error handling is a problem. There absolutely needs to be some sort of automatic retry behaviour, it needs to not completely crash the client if it fails and it needs to be much better at saving your queue spot. It's exactly the sort of issue that could stay hidden until the servers get really really busy, but hopefully they're able to roll out a fix for it soonish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

Saying all these problems were easily fixable is dumb, bit it's also clear that there are some poor design decisions within the client that are exacerbating issues.

The main problem is this 15mim reconnect when the client is in the queue. I can think of several reasons why it might be a good idea to restart these connections periodically, but the fact that it's done with very little error handling is a problem. There absolutely needs to be some sort of automatic retry behaviour, it needs to not completely crash the client if it fails and it needs to be much better at saving your queue spot. It's exactly the sort of issue that could stay hidden until the servers get really really busy, but hopefully they're able to roll out a fix for it soonish.

Oh yeah, no, there are absolutely problems with FFXIV's spaghetti backend too that make the issues worse.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

It's exactly the sort of issue that could stay hidden until the servers get really really busy, but hopefully they're able to roll out a fix for it soonish.
Not disagreeing but this is the kind of problem that, by the time they roll out a fix there will no longer be queues. Maybe they'll have it locked down before 7.0.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

homeless snail posted:

Not disagreeing but this is the kind of problem that, by the time they roll out a fix there will no longer be queues. Maybe they'll have it locked down before 7.0.

Its been a week now and player numbers are going down slowly enough that I expect it'll still be busy in a week's time. I would think that should be time to write, review and test a fix like this, but then again spaghetti code who knows.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

While we’re on the subject, can someone repost that amazing twitter thread that reveals how a significant part of XIV:s backend is literally run on a huge Excel sheet?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Aws is way more expensive than self hosting. It makes sense for a lot of businesses where the server costs are small next to your main business costs, because it lets you cut out a lot of constant-factor overhead, but in something like an MMO or a Pixar render farm where the server costs are a giant major part of your budget, switching to cloud-hosted is just gonna bankrupt you

The value of cloud providers is that it makes scaling *their* problem (within reason, anyway)... except FF14's requirements are actually very different from most people's, so I doubt any would be a good fit to hosting the worlds. And while login itself is easier to split into pieces, it has to actually interact with characters database and the actual game servers, so if they want to move just that out they'll need a way to securely communicate between the cloud provider and their own infrastructure which is no trivial task.

Best I can see is some two-level queue proxy, but that's also not something you would want to hurry, and of course mistakes in load management tend to blow stuff up.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Eimi posted:

I think you hit the nail on the head why I didn't like the ending, and left the expansion feeling unsatisfied, even though Elpis was basically my fanfiction come to life and some of the best material in the game. Thank you for it.

I don't think I was nearly as dissatisfied with it, but yeah, it helps to think of the true ending of the story as when we return from Elpis and defeat Hydaelyn. The game up til now has been the story of Zodiark and Hydaelyn, how the Ancients' civilization lived and then came apart, and how our people struggled with their remnants. The finale was getting to see their Garden of Eden for ourselves, seeing that our quest has been worthwhile, seeing that all along our faith was in someone worth having faith in, and getting to show her that our suffering makes us strong enough to continue on without her. As an ending to that particular story, I think the game succeeded entirely.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I did get a version of "the Shadowbringers shot" for EW, suppose I'd better get it there:

Though the lens flare is a bit extreme.

Of course there's also this

Get hosed, Zenos. This scene was great as a lalafell.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Xarbala posted:

And took a shitload of games with it, it even made the actual news.

It also took down Canvas during finals week, so all of my students got a nice little 24 hour extension on their final papers!

Furthermore, the screenshot:

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Listen, I just want to be on the record saying that FFXIV is a really good game, and I would like to play it, and it sucks big ol' donkey balls that being an adult with a job and a kid basically precludes me from doing that at this time. Particularly because on of the reasons it's the world's biggest MMO is that it took the WoW crown of being the cool MMO you could realistically play as a Dad/Mom (Wo)Man

Thank you.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 13, 2021

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Hey, queues suck, and I think it's legit to be upset about them. I'm not really certain there's much SE can do about it, but I'm also probably going to be annoyed if this is still going on when savage raids drop and part of my team can't make it because they're stuck in queue (due to being unable to be at the PC two or more hours in advance). Right now I'm pretty lucky in being able to adjust my schedule freely, but not everyone can and it's frustrating at any rate to have multi-hour queues in prime time for over a week now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Large Testicles posted:

Login 1.5 hours ago, 2.5k queue "Ok, I can deal with this"

2002 at 200

Log back in, 5k queue.

I'm good for today.

Im baby sitting my queue so I dont lose out on the spot but Im getting crashes every 2-3 hours at best, sometimes 40 minutes in. Its impossible to play like this.

Im about to nuke my entire windows to see if a fresh install will help.

Ive probably spent thrice what I've played in the game in queue.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I kind of wonder if Square should consider delaying the launch of Pandaemonium and other new content to let some players finish the new content and make space for other players to get through the MSQ for a while.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The End

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im baby sitting my queue so I dont lose out on the spot but Im getting crashes every 2-3 hours at best, sometimes 40 minutes in. Its impossible to play like this.

Im about to nuke my entire windows to see if a fresh install will help.

Ive probably spent thrice what I've played in the game in queue.

Are you getting DX11 crashes? If you have a dual monitor setup, turning your second one off or ensuring that they're both at the same refresh rates can apparently help.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

AMD cards specifically have a crash bug with dx11 apps and multi monitor

change to dx9 or disable other monitors

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Vermain posted:

Are you getting DX11 crashes? If you have a dual monitor setup, turning your second one off or ensuring that they're both at the same refresh rates can apparently help.

Sometimes I get dx11 errors, sometimes it says legacy sdk, often times it crashes without warning and I dont have anything on the logs. My latest foray had me lower the target power of the GPU and disconnecting my second monitor. Still crashed without warning

Yesterday I had a weird LED crash that let me keep playing as long as I didnt press ok on the error pop up. I played for another hour or so before the DX11 claimed me.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ending/credits spoilers, so click at own risk, etc etc.

Zenos: Are you tired of being nice? Don't you just want to go ape shitt
WOL:

And the obligatory That Credits Moment.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

There is a ton of nuance and detail here, as well as a massive bucket of non-trivial problems to solve, but the solution to this is that your out-of-game infra shouldn't be self hosted. You push those pieces to AWS et al. It is bonus complex in that such a transition will take years and if such a change were to happen in time for 7.0, you'd probably have to start talking 6 months ago.
They said a while ago they tried to run the servers on cloud services and couldn't get that poo poo running.

vhweltall
Jun 14, 2007
Got a 2002, immediately restarted the client and lost my spot. I’m starting to think I really should just take a month off this game…

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

While we’re on the subject, can someone repost that amazing twitter thread that reveals how a significant part of XIV:s backend is literally run on a huge Excel sheet?

https://mobile.twitter.com/perchbird_/status/1323098438041559045

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You push those pieces to AWS et al.

lmao

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ImpAtom posted:

AWS literally went down this week.

Also, they've stated in at least one producer live letter that they've tried to explore cloud computing and it isn't functional for them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ugh, tonight’s been unusually poo poo for me.

I’ve already lost my place in the queue twice because a 2002 just so happened to come up while I was busy with something else outside for a few minutes :sigh:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I feel so lucky that my current job has me working 2pm-midnight Tuesday-Sunday. I get mornings and Mondays off. Couldn’t ask for anything better with the state of queues. I feel bad for everyone getting screwed over by them. My wife works more traditional hours and has barely been able to play since launch due to the queues. It loving sucks. :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

There's no way I'm gonna get to play today, as well as one or two other days over the last week/upcoming week for sure. And while that upsets me, like gently caress I'm gonna claim that anyone on the FF14 team is incompetent for not having predicted, designed, and implemented a solution to a problem that could have taken months of work to finish for a problem that has almost entirely occurred within the last 4 months or less. loving nerds, I swear to god.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m just glad that I got to finish the MSQ, so I don’t have to worry about getting casually spoiled and can feel fine with just doing other poo poo now until this gets resolved

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

S.J. posted:

There's no way I'm gonna get to play today, as well as one or two other days over the last week/upcoming week for sure. And while that upsets me, like gently caress I'm gonna claim that anyone on the FF14 team is incompetent for not having predicted, designed, and implemented a solution to a problem that could have taken months of work to finish for a problem that has almost entirely occurred within the last 4 months or less. loving nerds, I swear to god.

I guarantee if they fixed the 2002 error in any satisfactory way there'd be way, way less complaining.

e: I really don't see much complaining about waiting in queues here, just waiting in queues and getting d'conned to the back of the line after a few hours of waiting that is annoying people. Your post is pretty hostile.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Barreft posted:

I guarantee if they fixed the 2002 error in any satisfactory way there'd be way, way less complaining.

e: I really don't see much complaining about waiting in queues here, just waiting in queues and getting d'conned that is annoying people. Your post is pretty hostile.

real poo poo?