Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
bunch of sheep listening to those sirens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
looks like wednesday could get greasy, this time in MN, IA, WI, IL.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
That's when the cold air drops down again, right?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

SirPablo posted:

[Government issues warning of impending tornado, says "seek shelter immediately!"]

They can't tell me what to do!

[dies in tornado]

thanks antifa

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://twitter.com/KyleNoel15/status/1470213906555617285

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It could be much worse, of course, but I've heard today that the town of Trumann, Arkansas is going to be without power until after christmas, and today they just got a warning to avoid the water cause of damage to the system. I know that's vague but that's just what i've heard : / They're also under a 6am to 6pm curfew

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I read a brief mention that the collapsed candle factory in Mayfield also employed prisoners (who helped in rescue work by making holes in drywalls so people trapped in pockets could breathe), and this was stated like there was nothing unusual about it. I must admit that it doesn't surprise me that slaves would be forced to work during a tornado, but I would still like to hear more if there is any more information on this.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Nenonen posted:

I read a brief mention that the collapsed candle factory in Mayfield also employed prisoners (who helped in rescue work by making holes in drywalls so people trapped in pockets could breathe), and this was stated like there was nothing unusual about it. I must admit that it doesn't surprise me that slaves would be forced to work during a tornado, but I would still like to hear more if there is any more information on this.

Do you mean what happened to these people specifically or how totally normal it is to have slaves working for your American company? Surely our vice president using prison labor to fight wildfires has been discussed here. It's a demon cracker nation my friend.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Nenonen posted:

If the candle factory is the only employment around then the prisoners very well could have simply been on work release doing their normal job and not actually on loan as slave labor from the jail. Then again, its also the south and maybe I am giving them too much credit because slave labor seems like exactly the type of things a small town would get away with.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Nenonen posted:

DO NOT PEEK BEHIND THE CURTAIN OF AMERICAN CAPATALISM

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
A bit of googling revealed this much: https://wfpl.org/all-graves-co-jail-inmates-working-in-candle-factory-survived-tornado/

quote:

All seven people incarcerated at Graves County jail who worked at the Mayfield Consumer Products candle factory are alive.

The seven were among the dozens feared dead and injured after a massive tornado struck the factory overnight. However, an unnamed spokesperson using the Graves County Jail Facebook account told WFPL News the jail had “accounted for all inmates.” They said some inmates have injuries but they are “non-life threatening.”

Jail deputy Robert Daniels, who was guarding the jail workers, died in the candle factory, according to a Facebook post from the jail Sunday afternoon.

“He did his job honorably and professionally until the very end,” the jail representative said.

Earlier on Sunday, Graves County Jailer George Workman said those who had been held at the county jail were now split between two nearby jails.

Workman said the work program at the candle factory had just started last week. The program was approved by the Kentucky Department of Corrections as a way to help reduce recidivism, Workman said.

“It helps (incarcerated people) to build up some money, if they play it right, whenever they get out so they can have their fines paid off and also have a good start on some savings to where they can get started on the outside,” Workman said. A portion of the earned wages goes towards fines and jail fees and the rest goes into individual’s canteen accounts at the jail, Workman said. “They haven’t really had a chance to get started.”

An 18-year-old factory worker told WFPL earlier Saturday he was buried in the rubble close to a man he believed was a corrections officer, and that the man was likely deceased. Jail officials also reported a staff person had died.

People incarcerated at the Calloway County Jail also participated in the work program at the factory. Calloway jail officials have not said whether anyone from the facility was at the factory that evening.

110 people were working the night shift at the factory when the tornado struck. Just 40 had been rescued as of Saturday evening, according to Gov. Andy Beshear.

The company’s CEO, Troy Propes, could not be reached for comment, but posted a statement online Saturday evening.

“Our Mayfield, Kentucky facility was destroyed December 10, 2021, by a tornado, and tragically employees were killed and injured,” Propes wrote.

“We’re heartbroken about this, and our immediate efforts are to assist those affected by this terrible disaster. Our company is family-owned and our employees, some who have worked with us for many years, are cherished. We’re immediately establishing an emergency fund to assist our employees and their families.”

At least 80 people have been confirmed to have died from the storm across the state, according to Beshear on Sunday. But he believes the death toll will rise to more than 100.

Graves County jail, well that's not ominous. Except for the jail deputy.

e: also jailer Workman defending the benefits of a work program doesn't sound like an invented name.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
huge reduction in deaths at the candle factory being reported. down to 8 confirmed and 8 missing. guess the 50 other assumed dead were found to have just left and gone home once the storm passed?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
It seemed suspicious how quick they were coming up with number of deaths just a few hours after the storm went through. Just like on 9/11 when initial reports were 50,000 dead (which was just how many people could have been in the towers).

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

500excf type r posted:

If the candle factory is the only employment around then the prisoners very well could have simply been on work release doing their normal job and not actually on loan as slave labor from the jail. Then again, its also the south and maybe I am giving them too much credit because slave labor seems like exactly the type of things a small town would get away with.

I mean there's no "getting away" with it it is explicitly allowed by the 14th amendment.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nenonen posted:

A bit of googling revealed this much: https://wfpl.org/all-graves-co-jail-inmates-working-in-candle-factory-survived-tornado/

quote:

“It helps (incarcerated people) to build up some money, if they play it right, whenever they get out so they can have their fines paid off and also have a good start on some savings to where they can get started on the outside,” Workman said. A portion of the earned wages goes towards fines and jail fees and the rest goes into individual’s canteen accounts at the jail, Workman said. “They haven’t really had a chance to get started.”

e: also jailer Workman defending the benefits of a work program doesn't sound like an invented name.

Wait, so they lock people up and then fine and charge them for the privilege of being locked up by the state? I'm pretty sure i'd come out of such an arrangement radicalized to full blown al-qaeda levels of hatred for America

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

OK baizuo posted:

Wait, so they lock people up and then fine and charge them for the privilege of being locked up by the state? I'm pretty sure i'd come out of such an arrangement radicalized to full blown al-qaeda levels of hatred for America

https://rhizzone.net/articles/crime-does-pay/

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

it is wild to see cspam posters that don’t know about prison slave labor

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was specifically referring to the "fines and jail fees" mentioned in the quoted article, I'm well aware of prison labor

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

oh, I misread that. sorry.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OK baizuo posted:

I was specifically referring to the "fines and jail fees" mentioned in the quoted article, I'm well aware of prison labor

thats often part of a sentence, yes. then not being able to continue to pay off the fines and fees is a violation of probation and conditions of probation don't have to actually add up to something thats possible to do

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

OK baizuo posted:

I hope you read what I linked. It's galling.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

OK baizuo posted:

Yeah, you get charged for every day you're incarcerated. You also get charged a fee for booking. So uh, don't go to jail

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34705968

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah, you get charged for every day you're incarcerated. You also get charged a fee for booking. So uh, don't go to jail

quote:

But he admits that while the programme bills for about $2m a year, they collect only about $60,000-$70,000. That's about a 3% collection rate.

"If we lost the ability to have a pay-for-stay programme here I'm not going to have any huge heartache over the loss of it," he says.

The sum that is able to be collected doesn't go straight into the county coffers, either - the jail contracts with a company called Intellitech Corporation, which acts as a collections agent, sending letters and making phone calls to former inmates. If the debtor sends a check to Intellitech or arranges a payment plan with them, 30% of the money goes to the county and 70% goes to Intellitech.

lol of course

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SirPablo posted:

[Government issues warning of impending tornado, says "seek shelter immediately!"]

They can't tell me what to do!

[dies in tornado]

more like amazon cracking the whip at fulfillment center employees to get back to work

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nenonen posted:

wait until you hear about the prison complex that biden endorses to make his 94 crime bill relevant in a fake america he made up in his head, that allows slavery to be legalized

california uses prison labor for wildfires, this is only revelatory because the media accidentally commented on this most likely, to say that not all workers were angels indirectly or something as ghoulish.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nenonen posted:

Sam, George Workman here.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Vim Fuego posted:

The Biden administration also banned physical mail which means you can now only receive digital mail... which you can only receive if you've paid the associated costs. Commissary, internet, mail, video-conferencing, phonecalls, everything is for a cost. Paper mail was the last thing standing and that's going the way of the dodo too.

US Jail and US Prison both are hell on Earth and I would 100% suicide by cop before letting myself get dragged into one of those dens.

Good time to visit some of these articles: https://www.nytimes.com/topic/organization/rikers-island-prison-complex While keeping in mind that no one at Riker's has been convicted of a crime (well, not the crime they were booked for anyway).

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

thats often part of a sentence, yes. then not being able to continue to pay off the fines and fees is a violation of probation and conditions of probation don't have to actually add up to something thats possible to do

How the hell do we not have more cops and prosecutors etc getting murked in this country

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Lastgirl posted:

more like amazon cracking the whip at fulfillment center employees to get back to work

Por que no los dos?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
How long til we reopen Alcatraz and start using it as a functional prison again

OK baizuo posted:

How the hell do we not have more cops and prosecutors etc getting murked in this country

Sadly there was only one Chris Dorner

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

HonorableTB posted:

How long til we reopen Alcatraz and start using it as a functional prison again

they closed it because the operating costs got to be too much

i assume when the feds eventually sell it off to the private prison industry it'll become the most cut-rate prison in history

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/skeletonpup/status/1469581653710458880

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/ShawnReynolds_/status/1470511198462427145

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

America.txt

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/DannyYote/status/1470426578488287232

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is anyone really surprised by this? :laffo:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is anyone really surprised by this? :laffo:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
lol what

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

"Fulfillment center here, they play music during certain hours called power hours where they set higher goals for us. Otherwise, there is no music."

They waited until prime productive hour was over to tell them.

BTW is California going to get mud slide hell after these coming rain/snow storms after all the forest fires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

probably in some parts