Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Disappointing Pie posted:

Did they ever fix the font on Three Houses for handheld mode? I was going to re-download it as I’m looking for an rpg to play handheld while my kiddos hogging the tv. But remember that font being very rough to play with.

Nope! It's still dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Srice posted:

Nope! It's still dire.

"Dire" animals and monsters are actually the larger versions. Smaller ones are referred to as "Lesser" in the Monster Manual.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Everything about Okami was perfect except the non-boss fights weren't that fun. Besides Zelda, are there other 3D action-adventurey games worth playing on Switch?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Willo567 posted:

i liked the anime tournament arc chapter where you get the partner yoshi

yah it's all good except for the tree chapter. i don't think i've ever played past that point more than once so hard to say for sure.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Everything about Okami was perfect except the non-boss fights weren't that fun. Besides Zelda, are there other 3D action-adventurey games worth playing on Switch?

check out dark soulds

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

When my wife was home with my son for months on end a few years ago, they played a bit of Wii every day. I'd join in once in a while, and so we all played through PM64 and TTYD.

They LOVED 64, and really liked TTYD. They loved the star family in 64, and the story and bosses in general. TTYD has much better visuals and mechanics (I loved the turning to the side, rolling up, and turning into a paper airplane), but once you go into THE doorway, I remember that final boss being bullshit.

Either way, they both have the badge system, which I think we can all agree is fantastic.

Also, I really love PM:OK, and kind of totally hate SPM. Haven't played the other two.

Edit:

Willo567 posted:

i liked the anime tournament arc chapter where you get the partner yoshi

Yeah, this part ("the great Gonzales!") is my favourite part from any and all PM games. I also love how your Email SP or whatever it is plays the overworld music from Super Mario Bros 3 World 6 :allears:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looper posted:

people always say ttyd has better partners but let's compare

ttyd good partners: goombella, vivian, baby yoshi, admiral bobbery

pm64 good partners: bombette, parakarry, bow, sushi, lakilester

ttyd bad partners: koopa guy, flurry

pm64 bad partners: koopa guy

Nah baby yoshi sucks. Also the electric guy in 64 sucks so much you forgot it existed. Also both koppa guys are good. Also Ms Mowz is good

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Wildtortilla posted:

This boss in the lava zone of Metroid Dread sure is a boss fight. I just about have the fight down except I can’t figure out how to reliably dodge it’s double arm attack.

I’m talking a break for awhile cause I’m up to about seven attempts and I feel like I’ve stalled out learning this fight. Gonna come back later today and see how it goes. This strategy worked real well for me though all the Dark Souls games. This boss is the first big bad boss I’ve fight in a long time (excluding MH Rise).

This game is great and I can’t wait to see what else is in store for me.

It's so good. We've all felt that 'god DAMMIT', and then come back and beat the boss. Incredible game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Nah baby yoshi sucks. Also the electric guy in 64 sucks so much you forgot it existed. Also both koppa guys are good. Also Ms Mowz is good

this except baby yoshi pwns.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

neutral partners, such as watt and ms mowz, were not listed

ms mowz is good as an npc but bad as a party member, an important distinction

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
watt meanwhile is barely existent as an npc but the best party member, which you wouldn't know if you were a wee tyke reading the official strategy guide, as its writers apparently didn't know her attacks ignored the enemy's Defense stat

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Barreft posted:

It's so good. We've all felt that 'god DAMMIT', and then come back and beat the boss. Incredible game.

Gonna write my gaming thesis on the power of getting your rear end kicked repeatedly, taking a break, and beating whatever was giving you trouble right away when you give it another shot.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looper posted:

neutral partners, such as watt and ms mowz, were not listed

ms mowz is good as an npc but bad as a party member, an important distinction

You need her to sniff out all those star pieces or whatever ttyd uses instead of star pieces

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ragequit posted:

Gonna write my gaming thesis on the power of getting your rear end kicked repeatedly, taking a break, and beating whatever was giving you trouble right away when you give it another shot.

when did you lose your way Ragequit

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

You need her to sniff out all those star pieces or whatever ttyd uses instead of star pieces

i don't, because i don't care about collecting them all

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ragequit posted:

this is one of the most powerful techniques in our discipline

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

when did you lose your way Ragequit

Tis but a name. I play games to relax and have fun, and I actually do! No raging here. As a famous cartoon frog on a dolphin once said, “Quit gettin’ mad at video games.”

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ragequit posted:

Looper posted:

this is one of the most powerful techniques in our discipline

It works for odd programming problems too. Just shelve it and look at it again in the morning.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I was going to pick this up soon. No excuse now I guess.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1470044832370343939?s=21

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm keen for the Playable FPS DLC

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Last year, this thread convinced me to buy Stardew Valley for my wife, and she loved it.

Do it again, goons. She also likes Captain Toad, Yoshi's Crafted World, and 3D World/Bowser's Fury. I own Link's Awakening, Mario Maker 2, and Mario Kart 8.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Red posted:

Last year, this thread convinced me to buy Stardew Valley for my wife, and she loved it.

Do it again, goons. She also likes Captain Toad, Yoshi's Crafted World, and 3D World/Bowser's Fury. I own Link's Awakening, Mario Maker 2, and Mario Kart 8.

if she likes Bowser's Fury there's a good chance she'll like Mario Odyssey too

Red
Apr 15, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

if she likes Bowser's Fury there's a good chance she'll like Mario Odyssey too

Excellent call!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Red posted:

Pikmin 3 Deluxe.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Barreft posted:

I did it. I came back and walloped that bastard just a few minutes ago on my second attempt.

But now it’s bed time and next time I play I can figure out where to go next. Dread owns.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Frankston posted:

guys what is the chillest game of all time. I'm talking, so chill that my switch will freeze over and I'll be forced to go outside.

Get Life is Strange 3, find an ingame chair or bench to sit down on, and never get up. Or just get up to the opening at the bridge and never walk away.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

I'm keen for the Playable FPS DLC

I just played the expansion handheld for 30 minutes or so and other than a handful of Chuchus blowing up at the same time and filling the screen it was just fine.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

McCracAttack posted:

It works for odd programming problems too. Just shelve it and look at it again in the morning.

musical instruments too, rest is a necessary step in mastering a piece

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McCracAttack posted:

Can confirm, there's been numerous times when I've had to put a problem aside and come back figuring it out in two seconds.

Or you just get stuck on a particular way of trying to solve it and realize there's a much better/easier way to make something work. Again in two seconds.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Pikmin 3 Deluxe.

She played the crap out of this for Wii U - I'm guessing it's not deep enough to recycle?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Red posted:

Animal Crossing may be a good fit.

Also, I've heard good things about Spiritfarer

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Spiritfarer is some good, chill poo poo, although it can sneak up on you and punch you in the heart from time to time.

If she likes Stardew, though, she’d like this too. There’s some similarities in managing/expanding your ship and finding resources.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I'd forgotten about Animal Crossing; she tried that and tired of it pretty quickly.

Spiritfarer looks intriguing - as does Hoa, which looks similar.

Edit: Hoa is only 2 hours long?

Red fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 13, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Red posted:

I'd forgotten about Animal Crossing; she tried that and tired of it pretty quickly.

Spiritfarer looks intriguing - as does Hoa, which looks similar.

Spiritfarer is on sale in the Nintendo online shop right now, you could get it and Hoa for just under 30 bucks.

....not sure how that works as a Christmas present though. The one downside to digital games is their intangiblity makes them difficult to wrap.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the 3ds put new software in a little gift box you had to "unwrap" first and i always thought that was cute

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Spiritfarer is on sale in the Nintendo online shop right now, you could get it and Hoa for just under 30 bucks.

....not sure how that works as a Christmas present though. The one downside to digital games is their intangiblity makes them difficult to wrap.

I don't mind paying a little extra for the physical copy - Spiritfarer looks like like it's right up her alley. Thanks, gang!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Spiritfarer was so chill it put me to sleep which may sound like a knock but it's not. Just an absolutely delightful game and relaxing experience.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I walked in on my partner multiple times crying from Spiritfarer so yeah seconding the emotional heft

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is anyone still playing MonHun Rise?

It seems like the only people that join me are Japanese, even when it wouldn't be their peak hours.

Not that it matters, they play just as good as anyone else but I like chatting with folks.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How is Golf Story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Inzombiac posted:

Is anyone still playing MonHun Rise?

It seems like the only people that join me are Japanese, even when it wouldn't be their peak hours.

Not that it matters, they play just as good as anyone else but I like chatting with folks.

The problem I've encountered is that all the good people and veterans raced to the finish, considered the game meh due to the lack of monsters, and are now waiting for that expansion. You could probably get hunter buddies in dedicated Discord servers, but it feels like everyone I know moved on.