Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

you have to first get them to recognize that consumption isn't actually tied to standard of living.

like we need to massively reduce the miles we drive cars each year, even if we waved the magic EV wand.

and instead the focus being "but but but I need to roadtrip to visit my family because i was forced to take a job 2,000 miles away or die under capitalism"

it could be "that means you'll never have to sit in traffic on your commute ever again"

like that's the joke of climate change, we as human beings, aren't actually benefiting from all these emissions, only our corporations really are.

This is something I think about a lot; how everyone has to move away from another for their careers. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in the same city as my brother, parents, cousins, etc... Instead we are all completely spread out and lonely. Prestigious professions, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Lady Militant posted:

everytime i try to show stuff like this to normal people they will dismiss you as a lunatic. we need an alternative to this "you need to accept a much lower standard of living than previous generations" poo poo cause it's not selling!

pretty soon it's going to be happening whether it's sellable or not

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

IAMKOREA posted:

These grows are legal now why don't they just do it outside like the sun is free what the gently caress lol

You don't think outdoor grows use fossil fuel fertilizers and agricultural plastics?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

You don't think outdoor grows use fossil fuel fertilizers and agricultural plastics?

Well theoretically they don't have to, some outdoor growers are doing Korean natural farming for instance. But yeah I guess you're right. God drat i hate everything.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

IAMKOREA posted:

God drat i hate everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O35Dxb_V2Sc

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Of all our climate emissions:

61% have been released while Patrick Leahy was serving in the US Senate.
54% have been released while Steny Hoyer was serving in the US House.
48% have been released while Nancy Pelosi was serving in the US House.
42% have been released while Dianne Feinstein was serving in the US Senate.

that's 205% !

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

SKULL.GIF posted:

trains. literally just build out a rail network. I hate flying. I hate driving. let me sit in a loving traincar and enjoy the view, a nice book, and a loving nap. i don't care if it means I get there 10 hours later vs 2.5 hours in a plane

lower standard of living? gently caress you. who the gently caress wants to wake up at 4 am to drive 4 hours to the airport and then get grubby hands all over you and your luggage only to sit in a tiny cramped vibrating tube for 2.5 hours??? that's a high standard of living? eat poo poo. simply take the light rail to the train station then take the high speed train to wherever the gently caress you want. relax. enjoy life.
:hai:

kater posted:

pulling up to a stoplight with like 20 single passenger cars at it is making me feel uncomfortable.
It's going to own if/when commercially available self-driving cars exist and they drop average vehicle occupancy to 0.27 as everyone tries to collect rent from the road

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

SKULL.GIF posted:

trains. literally just build out a rail network. I hate flying. I hate driving. let me sit in a loving traincar and enjoy the view, a nice book, and a loving nap. i don't care if it means I get there 10 hours later vs 2.5 hours in a plane

lower standard of living? gently caress you. who the gently caress wants to wake up at 4 am to drive 4 hours to the airport and then get grubby hands all over you and your luggage only to sit in a tiny cramped vibrating tube for 2.5 hours??? that's a high standard of living? eat poo poo. simply take the light rail to the train station then take the high speed train to wherever the gently caress you want. relax. enjoy life.

i was mostly referring to cross ocean commercial flight, not domestic which as you point out could fairly trivially be replaced by trains (which is one of the reasons china expanded their train network so much because it's not realistic for hundreds of millions to be flying all during the holidays, only trains can handle that load)

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Lady Militant posted:

everytime i try to show stuff like this to normal people they will dismiss you as a lunatic. we need an alternative to this "you need to accept a much lower standard of living than previous generations" poo poo cause it's not selling!

Significant changes to daily living are the only chance left. Western societies refused to accept minor changes to seriously combat COVID spread; how do you think they'll do with climate change? They'll deny or ignore reality until it's far too late, then start GoFundMe pages for their individual tragedies.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lady Militant posted:

i was mostly referring to cross ocean commercial flight, not domestic which as you point out could fairly trivially be replaced by trains (which is one of the reasons china expanded their train network so much because it's not realistic for hundreds of millions to be flying all during the holidays, only trains can handle that load)

they make peddle powered planes now, get buff or stfu

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Xaris posted:

i posted that before with a small comment but to reiterate, cell damage means nucleation point for cancer

related, or unrelated (you be the judge), millennials have an unprecedented rise in colon cancer that is actually shocking the medical world and colonoscopy screening age is rapidly dropping (i think its at 45 now?) and will likely drop to 35/40 soon not that far off in our life spans.

https://www.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/news/20170228/colon-cancer-on-the-rise-among-gen-xers-millennials

it's gotten even worse since 2017. it's basically the millennial (and genx) disease de jour at the moment.

get your buttholes checked out ppl

edit: I do want to point out that most everything I've ever posted ITT is largely correlation based. it's easy for internet to make people think they're experts about anything, everything, all of the time. I'm not a researcher privy to secret arcane knowledge; most people online aren't either. correlation != causation, and rightfully so. however, i think there is far too much overwhelming amount of evidence for problems (obesity, fertility, autism/brain problems, cancer, etc) arising in humans and animals that points to we certainly hosed something up real good. everything is likely multi-faceted. in buttcancer case, it could be that gen-x/millennials tend to be more sedentary lifestyles than most of what came before, and maybe we eat more processed foods sans fiber than before, and that's probably a contributing factor. yet, it seems like an no brainer that dumping a zillion gigatons of endocrine disrupting and cellular-interfering petrochemical-made pollutants into everything isn't going to have no consequences at all.

so in light of not being able to actually determine true causation, correlations and educated guesses are about the best we have. as always, more research is needed to say anything definitively -- and yet little funded.

of course we're going to die of rear end cancer, considering everything else why the gently caress not.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

some shiny red bugs i'd never seen before met up in my native grass pots for an orgy :unsmith:

an egg has issued a correction as of 22:53 on Jul 28, 2022

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

from 2010 to 2020, China spent a total of $1.04 trillion, or about $100 billion annually, to bring adequate rail service to 80% of cities in the country, while definitively separating the passenger and freight lines (1), completely eliminating the logistical conflicts that continue to hamper our hybrid system. as a point of comparison, railway transportation in China in 2007 only consumed about 58 kg standard coal per 10,000 tons per km of goods transported, whereas road and air transportation consumed approximately 80 and 340 kg respectively in that same timeframe (1).

when controlling for increased CO2 emissions that arise from the improved productivity and induced demand that robust passenger & freight rail development have caused in China, rail has an overall diminishing effect on transportation-related emissions (1). so yeah if you can decouple transportation from economic activity, then it is all around a net good. when comparing highway construction and maintenance with railway construction and maintenance, rail lines are substantially less CO2-intensive and do much less damage to local ecology, water drainage, and contributes less pollution runoff (2)

the main benefit of high-speed rail is that it takes away demand from air travel (3). in China from 2013 to 2017, 104.92 million air passengers shifted to rail transport due to improved rail services driven by speed, leading to a reduction of 13.57 million tons of CO2 emissions (4). high-speed rail is, however, a bit more fossil-fuel intensive than standard rail, so it constitutes a luxury in an ideal world where we've eliminated air travel entirely. that's fine though because sleeper cars are dope as hell and they should always be a travel option. i still keep in touch with some strangers i befriended and got wasted with when we shared a sleeper compartment in a post-soviet country like 3 years ago.

(1) Li, X., Fan, Y., Wu, L. (2017) CO2 emissions and expansion of railway, road, airline and in-land waterway networks over the 1985–2013 period in China: A time series analysis. Transportation Research Part D 57 p 130–140
(2) Zhou, H., Luo, Y., Ding, F., Lin, Q. (2019) Assessing the influence of highway and high-speed railway construction on local climate using Landsat TM images in karst areas. Journal of Mountain Science 16(7).
(3) Li, Y., Yang, B., Cui, Q. (2019) The effects of high-speed rail on air passenger transport in China. APPLIED ECONOMICS LETTERS 2019, VOL. 26, NO. 9, 745–749.
(4) Yu, K., Strauss, J., Liu, S., Li, H., Kuang, X., Wu, J. (2021) Effects of railway speed on aviation demand and CO2 emissions in China. Transportation Research Part D 94 (2021) 102772.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

splifyphus posted:

otoh, 'spirituality' is a drug people take so they can suppress their ability to think and float through life without feeling or caring about anything but their inner peace.

It must suck going through life so spiritually dead that you think this way.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

posting is spirituality. avatars are real

quote:

: the incarnation of a Hindu deity (such as Vishnu)
2a : an incarnation in human form
b : an embodiment (as of a concept or philosophy) often in a person

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Anecdote here: of the 3 high school classmates that I know have died, one died in Iraq and two were women who died of colon cancer in their early 30's.
god drat. that's pretty lovely. from what i know, it's fairly slow-growing so they'd have to have it started in more like their early-mid 20s to die in early 30s.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lady Militant posted:

lol "living" wont be part of it

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Xaris posted:

i posted that before with a small comment but to reiterate, cell damage means nucleation point for cancer

related, or unrelated (you be the judge), millennials have an unprecedented rise in colon cancer that is actually shocking the medical world and colonoscopy screening age is rapidly dropping (i think its at 45 now?) and will likely drop to 35/40 soon not that far off in our life spans.

https://www.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/news/20170228/colon-cancer-on-the-rise-among-gen-xers-millennials

it's gotten even worse since 2017. it's basically the millennial (and genx) disease de jour at the moment.

get your buttholes checked out ppl

edit: I do want to point out that most everything I've ever posted ITT is largely correlation based. it's easy for internet to make people think they're experts about anything, everything, all of the time. I'm not a researcher privy to secret arcane knowledge; most people online aren't either. correlation != causation, and rightfully so. however, i think there is far too much overwhelming amount of evidence for problems (obesity, fertility, autism/brain problems, cancer, etc) arising in humans and animals that points to we certainly hosed something up real good. everything is likely multi-faceted. in buttcancer case, it could be that gen-x/millennials tend to be more sedentary lifestyles than most of what came before, and maybe we eat more processed foods sans fiber than before, and that's probably a contributing factor. yet, it seems like an no brainer that dumping a zillion gigatons of endocrine disrupting and cellular-interfering petrochemical-made pollutants into everything isn't going to have no consequences at all.

so in light of not being able to actually determine true causation, correlations and educated guesses are about the best we have. as always, more research is needed to say anything definitively -- and yet little funded.

I believe it's 35 now. I'm not even 35 and was told you're getting to be that age to get colon screening lol.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

so now I gotta go to the doctor and ask him to please put his fingers up my butt, the internet people told me it's important because of all the plastic I've been eating

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

TACD posted:

so now I gotta go to the doctor and ask him to please put his fingers up my butt, the internet people told me it's important because of all the plastic I've been eating

harsh but fair, the internet demands it

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Lady Militant posted:

fear not - it sells itself!

lol

lmao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

TACD posted:

if your doctor is putting his fingers up your butt to check your colon then you must have american healthcare

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
typical commie healthcare. taking away the perks of being a doctor under the pretense of better existing diagnostic tools.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

nvm

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

what an exquisite username/post/thread topic combo

AOCIA
Nov 29, 2021

by sebmojo

IAMKOREA posted:

These grows are legal now why don't they just do it outside like the sun is free what the gently caress lol

at least in WA state, growing outside is literally illegal

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

be a shower not a grower

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
my penis is under constant assault from microplastics i don't need these judgements

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
oh, poo poo, does anyone ITT have any idea about how outdoor grows for weed sometimes are done by completely careless people who don't give a gently caress about the environment and they totally gently caress poo poo up and then leave a ton of trash out in extremely remote areas that are hard to even get to let alone clean up??

i'm pretty sure there are vast areas of just deserted grows that are too :350: far out, maaaan :350: for anyone to even bother scavenging, but don't quote me on that specific thing because i'm kinda guessing

https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2017/08/21/cleaning-illegal-marijuana-grow-sites

not to mention all the fossil fuel burning vehicles everyone uses to get out there

i used to actually work for a company where we would meet at an office in the sf bay area and ride two hours north to work on a farm and then everyone would get back in the SUV and ride back to sf or the east bay, repeat 5 times a week

i got paid for time on the road, too, so it was kind of just 4 hours of us just chillin each day

suckers :smug:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It is both incredible and very very awful being me, at the same time. But overall I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

I find the pursuit of truth exhilarating, and spiritualities have failed me in a lot of ways.

However, I'll pretty much always have a copy of Nagarjuna's Middle Way next to my bed. You guys should read that poo poo it's THE BOMB.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
I salute the fully Enlightened One, the best of orators, who taught the doctrine of dependent origination, according to which, there is neither cessation nor orgination, neither annihilation nor the eternal, neither singularity nor plurality, neither the coming nor the going of any dharma, for the purpose of Nirvana characterized by the auspicious cessation of hypostatization.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

AOCIA posted:

and here in VT we have plant limits such that I could grow six outdoor plants which would likely do me for the year, except I can only flower two at a time, and given the weather, our use, and also our tendency to give a pound or two a year away to people who can't/don't want to afford it, and presto I am also running 800w of lights plus some amount of other poo poo. Converting that part of the property to solar is higher priority than doing end to end solar; if I could run ~4500w of solar across 3 20amp circuits it would be enough for that whole thing plus the secondary living space build out we want to do in the barn as a hedge against, well, who knows, situations where other people also need to live here with us, many of which seem very possible as things unravel into the future.

Beyond not wanting to spend money on it, a lot of retail weed is scary. poo poo, I could get cheap weed for what it costs me to produce, but it would probably be sprayed with PGRs and god knows what nutrients. I basically just use compost outdoors, and I do all my extractions with food grade ethanol so there's nothing in my process at any point that's not food grade (environmental microplastics etc notwithstanding). We don't have legal retail weed yet here and when we do it's gonna be a tourist market, prohibitively expensive with THC limits on flower (lol) and oil (LOOOOL) that are lower than what I (legally) hit in my home lab.

Alobar posted:

oh, poo poo, does anyone ITT have any idea about how outdoor grows for weed sometimes are done by completely careless people who don't give a gently caress about the environment and they totally gently caress poo poo up and then leave a ton of trash out in extremely remote areas that are hard to even get to let alone clean up??

I've heard this joke before and the punchline is, "if we legalize something in ~2015-2021, then surely we'll craft a proper framework around it such that it's ecologically friendly and more safe for end users than cartel grows!" I'm not sure we're really hitting the mark on either of those things; last I knew for instance CO dispensary shatter is allowed to be 500ppm residual butane which is just gross. In fact, in the press release where the limit was changed from 50ppm to 500ppm to be in line with "industrial standards", the CO commissioner of health admitted that 500ppm was "a level of butane customers may be able to taste in the product" or some horseshit.

Not putting people in jail for weed is great but most other things about the way legalization has rolled out are just as dumb and toxic and predatory as every other cash-grab business.

I got a sled for $50 from Amazon that probably would have been $20 two years ago. It bills itself as a "plastic toboggan" and to be fair it does feel heavier and move faster than our other, similar sled.

It also seems to basically disintegrate at the slightest touch of anything besides snow, so everywhere a rock poked out of the driveway or similar it just leaves ribbons of plastic all over :allears: Of course the driveway is right next to 100 trees I have tapped and drink the syrup from all year. Yay, oil! Yay plastic!!

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 13:16 on Dec 13, 2021

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Too Many Birds posted:

tornado levels your city you aren't gonna hop in the car and have some lmaos as you check out the destruction?

probably not. i imagine it's a lot less funny when you're the one directly impacted by the disaster

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbages and Kings posted:

It also seems to basically disintegrate at the slightest touch of anything besides snow, so everywhere a rock poked out of the driveway or similar it just leaves ribbons of plastic all over :allears: Of course the driveway is right next to 100 trees I have tapped and drink the syrup from all year. Yay, oil! Yay plastic!!

sell your exclusive bimbofication honey at a markup

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
in my experience, the weed industry is the shadiest poo poo i've ever had to deal with. and i spent a decade working in kitchens and restaurants.

sorry for the :words:

the mismanagement of labor is actually astounding, and nearly (or maybe it did?) gave me a mental breakdown. i'm talking, spending a week labeling things until someone notices we were putting the wrong label on things, so everyone had to spend time peeling off labels and putting new ones on. multiple times. just thousands of man-hours wasted right in front of my eyes. heartbreaking inefficiency. and they wouldn't give me a promotion to actually manage the poo poo because it was run by nepotism.

no one seemed to be able to understand the concept of "don't pick things up and put them down twice, just pick it up and put it down where it's going to end up so you only have to do it once." so, in the most childish of fashions, people i worked with would straight up not listen to me explaining extremely basic poo poo because it didn't actually matter to their job security or to the job itself. they didn't care about doing things better or getting good at things, because they were already coasting. no one else there had restaurant experience and didn't seem to understand my work ethic.

one time i drove from LA from oakland to deliver some weed from our warehouse. the boss assured me the correct stickers were on the boxes. the correct stickers were left at the warehouse in oakland. the place i took the weed to couldn't accept it with the correct stickers. i drove literally all day for no reason. i still got paid myself, but it was a total loving waste.

also, in california, there's some sort of monopoly that some computer program has in the weed industry, where every company has to use the same pointlessly complicated program. loving nonsense.

i quit the job because i was waking up crying saying "i don't want to go, i don't want to go, i don't want to go." i've had some pretty terrible experiences in the food industry, but i never woke up *that* loving sad about going to work.

and none of this touches on the absolute chaos it was for me to live on a loving weed farm, cleaning up after hippies who wouldn't wash their god. drat. dishes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO79S-VPkL0

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

AOCIA posted:

afaik, in legal states you can only own up to 6 plants and yea, they must be indoors

it's just a capitalist balm to a heavily regulated industry that was ousted due to racism, but now will be tightly controlled by rich white people

you want to start to grow and dedicate your time to leverage your labor power so your boss literally doesn't steal your money every hour? start up costs alone will make it difficult and overtly hostile alone

at best you can be a budtender for a teetotaler freak who is a hardass for profit lines, or shred your clothes picking buds and have to pay out of pocket for new clothes each time so cops don't pull you over for "smell" and pay another fine so your boss might as well be stealing your wages again

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Lastgirl posted:

afaik, in legal states you can only own up to 6 plants and yea, they must be indoors

Check state by state. In NJ there's no growing allowed at all.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Le epic shocked face
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/13/revealed-biden-administration-was-not-legally-bound-to-auction-gulf-drilling-rights

quote:

Revealed: Biden administration was not legally bound to auction gulf drilling rights

Justice department admits a previous ruling did not force the detonation of what environmentalists call ‘huge carbon bomb’

The Biden administration admitted that a court decision did not compel it to lease vast tracts of the Gulf of Mexico for oil and gas drilling, shortly before claiming it was legally obliged to do so when announcing the sell-off, the Guardian can reveal.

Last month, the US government held the largest-ever auction of oil and gas drilling leases in the Gulf of Mexico’s history, offering up more than 80m acres of the gulf’s seabed for fossil fuel extraction.

The enormous sale, which took place just four days after crucial UN climate talks in Scotland, represented a spectacular about-turn from Joe Biden’s previous promise to halt offshore drilling and was denounced by outraged environmental groups as a “huge carbon bomb”.

The president’s administration insisted it was obliged to hold the lease sale due to a court ruling in favor of a dozen states that sued to lift a blanket pause placed on new drilling permits by Biden.

But a memo filed by the US Department of Justice before the lease sale acknowledges that this judgement does not force the government to auction off drilling rights to the gulf.

“The administration has been misleading on this, to put it mildly, it’s very disappointing,” said Thomas Meyer, national organizing manager of Food and Water Watch. “They didn’t have to hold this sale and they didn’t have to hold it on this timeline.

“We know this will exacerbate the climate crisis, it undermines US credibility abroad and it contradicts a campaign promise by Biden. If the administration was taking the climate crisis seriously they would be fighting tooth and nail to keep every molecule of fossil fuel in the ground. They are nowhere near to doing that.”

Some commentators have pointed to Biden’s need to appease senator Joe Manchin, a fossil fuel-friendly centrist Democrat who is a crucial vote for the president’s Build Back Better spending bill, as a reason for the ongoing drilling.

“If it is political, that is unfortunate because the climate doesn’t really care about politics,” said Hardy. “Climate change will continue to cause problems for the whole nation if we don’t address it.”

T-Paine has issued a correction as of 16:57 on Dec 13, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Lastgirl posted:

we're allowed to grow outdoors in an "enclosed, secured area". My enclosure is a wire garden fence, and my security is that I live on a dead end road on top of a mountain and there's no way to get onto the property without being on several cameras and tripping motion lights etc.

Lots of people just loving put 5 gallon pots in their front yard. Many of these people then get their plants stolen, almost invariably by young males who are addled by more serious drugs, and then we have this weird paradigm where actually these people are often identified because they're the people trying to sell obviously hacked-and-slashed-and-not-dried-well weed, and then they get their asses kicked and I hear muttering about it from the local acid weirdos. So, legal outdoor growing is a good part of our laws, idiots notwithstanding. A lot of the rest of it is stupid. Plant limits are dumb, I can pull a pound off a plant and I can pull a half pound total from 20 plants. We notably do not have weight limits, so I am allowed to possess any amount I've produced as long as it's "stored securely on sight". I can't transport more than an ounce at a time, of course, though, so if I want to give a quarter pound to a friend I am supposed to make 4 seperate trips.

Someone gave me a pound of old bud to dick with extracting recently, I pointed out that he should have made 16 trips, and we snickered.

Sorry to continue the weed derail, I will take it back to weed and pets. But, the point is, as far as cadmium (A THING WHICH MAY BE IN YOUR MARIJUANA! MANY SUCH CASES) poo poo goes, this industry is just as bad as any other except it has a history of being blackmarket, half the people in it cut their teeth in the blackmarket world and most of the other half are VC / Valley assholes, and they have been allowed to profiteer on an enjoyable and intoxicating substance some people find habit forming, so of course all of this is playing out in the most socially and environmentally toxic way I could have fathomed.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 17:09 on Dec 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
From killer heatwaves to floods, climate change worsened weather extremes in 2021

quote:

Extreme weather events in 2021 shattered records around the globe. Hundreds died in storms and heatwaves. Farmers struggled with drought, and in some cases with locust plagues. Wildfires set new records for carbon emissions, while swallowing forests, towns and homes.
Many of these events were exacerbated by climate change. Scientists say there are more to come – and worse – as the Earth's atmosphere continues to warm through the next decade and beyond.

Here are some of the events Reuters witnessed over the past year: 

February — A blistering cold spell hit normally warm Texas, killing 125 people in the state and leaving millions without power in freezing temperatures.

Scientists have not reached a conclusion on whether climate change caused the extreme weather, but the warming of the Arctic is causing more unpredictable weather around the globe.

February — Kenya and other parts of East Africa battled some of the worst locust plagues in decades, with the insects destroying crops and grazing grounds. Scientists say that unusual weather patterns exacerbated by climate change created ideal conditions for insects to thrive.

March — Beijing's sky turned orange and flights were grounded during the Chinese capital's worst sandstorm in a decade.

Busloads of volunteers arrive in the desert each year to plant trees, which can stabilize the soil and serve as a wind buffer. Scientists predict climate change will worsen desertification, as hotter summers and drier winters reduce moisture levels.

June — Nearly all of the western United States was gripped by a drought that emerged in early 2020. Farmers abandoned crops, officials announced emergency measures, and the Hoover Dam reservoir hit an all-time low.

By September, the U.S. government confirmed that over the prior 20 months, the Southwest experienced the lowest precipitation in over a century, and it linked the drought to climate change.

June — Hundreds died during a record-smashing heatwave in the U.S. and Canadian Pacific Northwest, which scientists concluded would have been "virtually impossible" without climate change.

Over several days, power lines melted and roads buckled. Cities, struggling to cope with the heat, opened cooling centers to protect their residents. During the heatwave, Portland, Oregon, hit an all-time record high of 116 Fahrenheit (46.7 Celsius).

July — Catastrophic flooding killed more than 300 people in central China's Henan province when a year's worth of rain fell in just three days.

Meanwhile in Europe, nearly 200 people died as torrential rains soaked Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands. Scientists concluded that climate change had made the floods 20% more likely to occur.

July — A record heatwave and drought in the U.S. West gave rise to two massive wildfires that tore through California and Oregon and were among the largest in the history of both states.

Scientists say both the growing frequency and the intensity of wildfires are largely attributable to prolonged drought and increasing bouts of excessive heat from climate change.

July — Large parts of South America are suffering from a prolonged drought. While Chile is enduring a decade-long megadrought linked to global warming, this year Brazil saw one of its driest years in a century.

In Argentina, the Parana, South America's second-longest river, fell to its lowest level since 1944.

Around the globe, heatwaves are becoming both more frequent and more severe.

August — In the Mediterranean, a hot and dry summer fanned intense blazes that forced thousands of people to evacuate their homes in Algeria, Greece and Turkey.

The fires, which killed two people in Greece and at least 65 in Algeria, struck amid an intense heatwave, with some places in Greece recording temperatures of over 46 Celsius (115 Fahrenheit).

Late August — Nearly all the world's mountain glaciers are retreating due to global warming. In the Alps, Swiss resort employees laid protective blankets over one of Mount Titlis's glaciers during the summer months to preserve what ice is left.

Switzerland already has lost 500 of its glaciers, and could lose 90% of the 1,500 that remain by the end of the century if global emissions continue to rise, the government said.

August/September — Hurricane Ida, which hit Louisiana as a Category 4 storm, killed nearly 100 people in the United States and caused an estimated $64 billion in damage, according to the NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information.

As the remnants of Ida moved inland, the heavy rains created flash flooding across the densely populated Northeast, vastly increasing the storm's death toll.

Climate change is strengthening hurricanes, while also causing them to linger longer over land – dumping more rain on an area before moving on. Studies also suggest these storms are becoming more frequent in the North Atlantic.

September — Infrastructure and homes in Russia are increasingly in peril as underground permafrost melts and deforms the land underneath them.

Permafrost was once a stable construction base, in some regions staying frozen as far back as the last Ice Age. But rising global temperatures threaten the layer of ice, soil, rocks, sand and organic matter.

November — The worst floods in 60 years in South Sudan have affected about 780,000 people, or one in every 14 residents, according to the U.N. refugee agency. Every year the county goes through a rainy season, but flooding has set records for three years in a row. The destruction will likely increase as temperatures rise, scientists say.

November — A massive storm dumped a month's worth of rain over two days in the Canadian province of British Columbia, unleashing floods and mudslides that destroyed roads, railroads and bridges. It is likely the most expensive natural disaster in Canada's history, although officials are still assessing the damage.

Meteorologists said the rain had come from an atmospheric river, or a stream of water vapor stretching hundreds of miles long from the tropics. Atmospheric rivers are expected to become larger — and possibly more destructive — with climate change, scientists say.

:hmmyes: