Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Warbird posted:

Should I watch season 1 of Westworld or heist read a synopsis of the series?

season one of the show is very good and honestly could be standalone if you really wanted to just stop there, but there's enough good to stick with it if you want. it kind of becomes a different show after s1 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Westworld is similar to True Detective and Fargo in that season 1 is absolutely bonkers great, but the following seasons just can't live up to it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Fargo 2 tho, not accounting for dif taste obv, was better than 1 I felt.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Season 1 is one of the best things made for television, but you’ll have unanswered questions that the following seasons aren’t interested in answering.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
In Baby Driver there is a scene where Baby needs to steal a car and the woman he steals it from is shocked to see him fiddling with the radio before he finds Radar Love and drives away. It's been a while since I moved away from Atlanta, but I did notice that he stopped on 97.1 which is The River, an actual classic rock station in the area.

Its such a nothing detail that most movies wouldn't bother to shoot an insert shot and then use a real radio station that would plausibly be playing the song they're going to use in the soundtrack but I guess that's why people love pointing out tiny details from Edgar Wright films.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The biggest flaw in westworld season 1 is they didn't hire Viggo Mortensen to play a young Ed Harris

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aren't they basically the same age?

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Yeah, Viggo Mortenson is about as old as Ian McKellen was when they were filming Lord of the Rings.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Cat Hatter posted:

In Baby Driver there is a scene where Baby needs to steal a car and the woman he steals it from is shocked to see him fiddling with the radio before he finds Radar Love and drives away. It's been a while since I moved away from Atlanta, but I did notice that he stopped on 97.1 which is The River, an actual classic rock station in the area.

Its such a nothing detail that most movies wouldn't bother to shoot an insert shot and then use a real radio station that would plausibly be playing the song they're going to use in the soundtrack but I guess that's why people love pointing out tiny details from Edgar Wright films.

I actually still listen to that station, that's cool to hear.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Tunicate posted:

The biggest flaw in westworld season 1 is they didn't hire Viggo Mortensen to play a young Ed Harris

I think it would have been too obvious. I like Jimmi Simpson, he did quite well in the role.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

In Scott Pilgrim, the narrator actually pronounces Toronto properly.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Westworld is similar to True Detective and Fargo in that season 1 is absolutely bonkers great, but the following seasons just can't live up to it.

I would almost bet we're going to have this discussion about Squid Game again in a couple years. I was absolutely shocked that they went for the sequel hook at the end. I felt like the mystery of 'who's doing this and why' was not only the least interesting part of the show, but also would have been adequately explained (i.e. #1) as it was.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 15:06 on Dec 13, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Imagined posted:

I would almost bet we're going to have this discussion about Squid Game again in a couple years. I was absolutely shocked that they went for the sequel hook at the end. I felt like the mystery of 'who's doing this and why' was not only the least interesting part of the show, but also would have been adequately explained (i.e. #1) as it was.

If you liked Squid Game then I suggest watching Series 7: The Contenders. It also ends with a hook for Series 8, but there was no intention to ever make a sequel. They did it just because that's how a real TV series would end.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jedit posted:

If you liked Squid Game then I suggest watching Series 7: The Contenders. It also ends with a hook for Series 8, but there was no intention to ever make a sequel. They did it just because that's how a real TV series would end.

Holy poo poo, I forgot about this movie. The main actress in it was fantastic.

Edit: at the risk of :filez:, the whole thing is on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1iMl6xz774

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Dec 13, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Warbird posted:

Should I watch season 1 of Westworld or heist read a synopsis of the series?

Season 1 is really good. I spent way too much time thinking about it when it aired.

E: thanks for reminding me about Series 7! I loved it and need to rewatch.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My favorite part of Series 7 is how often the narrator describes the events unfolding incorrectly to create more drama and we're all so used to reality television that we don't even notice it. Like when the guy is holding his kid in one hand and a gun in the other, and you hear "...contestant has exited the car holding a gun to his own child's head..." when that's not what's happening.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, I forgot about this movie. The main actress in it was fantastic.

Most people forget, but she was Buffalo Bill's captive in Silence of the Lambs. And the younger female Contender is played by Merritt Wever, who won an Emmy a few years back.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Philippe posted:

I think it would have been too obvious. I like Jimmi Simpson, he did quite well in the role.

If you can't write a twist where two people are secretly the same character, without having two quite different looking people playing the same character to fool people who have eyes, it isn't a very good twist.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Cat Hatter posted:

Someone mapped the opening car chase scene and it’s surprisingly accurate as far as car chases go. Usually it’s just all over the city with no regard to reality.

https://youtu.be/8ry9X2FPfHM

This of course doesn’t take atlanta traffic into account and he would have been screwed at the first light he came to

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Dec 13, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think the Baby Driver was stopping for red lights

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t think the Baby Driver was stopping for red lights

Sure, but there would be 90 other people at the light that did. Atlanta traffic is awful.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
In "The Goes Wrong Show" the Corrigan's terrified aside glances are great.

The premise is an (extremely) amateur theater group is trying to do a new show every week - and failing.

As things go awry Corrigan, who's playing one of the straight man actors, adds in these moments where you can see her look around for the director, looking for help and checking if she's supposed to go on with the show. It's never shouted and usually done as an extra when she's not the center of attention and where a lot of other shows would be content with just having her give a dramatic reaction to whatever's in front of her.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There's a bit in Shang-Chi where the British actor is talking to the weird little butt-monster and mistakes it saying "19%" for "90%". I noticed that traveling in countries like Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, where people who had English as a second language would make sure they were specifying like "we should be there in fifteen minutes, one-five minutes from now" for English speakers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

HelleSpud posted:

The premise is an (extremely) amateur theater group is trying to do a new show every week - and failing.

As things go awry Corrigan, who's playing one of the straight man actors, adds in these moments where you can see her look around for the director, looking for help and checking if she's supposed to go on with the show. It's never shouted and usually done as an extra when she's not the center of attention and where a lot of other shows would be content with just having her give a dramatic reaction to whatever's in front of her.

They're on Prime and are extremely good and funny.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

HelleSpud posted:

There's some genuinely clever details in those shows. The bad-improv show absolutely nails the feeling of forced spontaneity, and Vanessa clicks her fingers and makes *herself* flinch at the noise.

I don't think S2 quite reached the tears-streaming-down-your-face heights of S1, but I like that they delved a bit more into all the neuroses and specific idiocies of the cast. That seems a good way to give it some longevity when they run out of ways to knock the set over.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Jedit posted:

Watching Series 7, it took me far too long into the movie to realize that the film was just the episodes of series 7 of the show.

Because I am a dumbarse.

It's a brilliant film. And apparently the director worked on a lot of reality TV shows, which is why they get the look and the feel so right.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Memento posted:

There's a bit in Shang-Chi where the British actor is talking to the weird little butt-monster and mistakes it saying "19%" for "90%". I noticed that traveling in countries like Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, where people who had English as a second language would make sure they were specifying like "we should be there in fifteen minutes, one-five minutes from now" for English speakers.

I do that and English is my first language!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
They made Jimmi Simpson up to look more like Ed Harris for the role. I read an interview where he said they wouldn't tell him specifically who he was supposed to be, but he figured it out on his own.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's some genuinely clever details in those shows. The bad-improv show absolutely nails the feeling of forced spontaneity, and Vanessa clicks her fingers and makes *herself* flinch at the noise.

I don't think S2 quite reached the tears-streaming-down-your-face heights of S1, but I like that they delved a bit more into all the neuroses and specific idiocies of the cast. That seems a good way to give it some longevity when they run out of ways to knock the set over.

This is a good post and I agree with all of it. I think I probably preferred s2 because while it didn’t have the heights of s1 it was also less samey and I think that definitely helps for longevity as you say

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
This is not so subtle I guess, but I've just finished watching Devs and I liked the way they brought home the "Fates" analogy with the three main programmers on the Devs team.

- Lindon, the young one, is Clotho the spinner - he is the one whose efforts get the Devs machine to work, aka he is the one spinning the cloth that gets fed into the Devs machine.
- Katie, the adult one, is Lachesi the watcher - the one that observes the mortals and knows their lot in life.
- Stewart, the old one, is Atropos the inevitable - he is the one that cuts the thread of life for our protagonists at the end of the show and sends them to the afterlife.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Dikkfor posted:

Yeah, Viggo Mortenson is about as old as Ian McKellen was when they were filming Lord of the Rings.

I'm not getting much of a "wow" out of this fact. Those movies were made 20 years ago.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I'm not getting much of a "wow" out of this fact. Those movies were made 20 years ago.

I think it's more a matter of how they each look at that age. kind of a variation on noting that Wilford Brimley was only 50 when he did Cocoon.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Those movies weren't made in the 80s though?

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It was less "Fun Fact" and more this is why he wasn't cast as a fresh faced up and comer in Westworld.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Tunicate posted:

If you can't write a twist where two people are secretly the same character, without having two quite different looking people playing the same character to fool people who have eyes, it isn't a very good twist.

lots of people figured it out anyway :shrug:

it was just they were furiously shouted down to the point where IIRC it was forbidden for a while to bring up the two timelines theory in the tv iv thread

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
In The Fellowship of the Ring, Saruman does his best to keep the party from going over the mountain.

Because his palantir told him that Gandalf would die if he went through Moria instead.

He wasn't wrong.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Home Alone 2: when Kevin drew his map of the building with all his traps for Operation Ho Ho Ho, he drew it on a blueprint of the building he's in, and rolls out out over a stack of other blueprints, presumably one that would've matched what he just drew himself.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Friend posted:

Home Alone 2: when Kevin drew his map of the building with all his traps for Operation Ho Ho Ho, he drew it on a blueprint of the building he's in, and rolls out out over a stack of other blueprints, presumably one that would've matched what he just drew himself.

Another subtle thing in this film: the burglars are immortal but yet have an unlimited capacity to feel pain.

Haha, nah but Kevin’s dad spends tens of thousands of dollars on Christmas every year, gets a free multi-thousand dollar suite, gets dozens of free Christmas gifts for the family, and then loses his poo poo over a $900 room service bill after finding out his son is not dead or maimed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

freeedr posted:

Another subtle thing in this film: the burglars are immortal but yet have an unlimited capacity to feel pain.

Haha, nah but Kevin’s dad spends tens of thousands of dollars on Christmas every year, gets a free multi-thousand dollar suite, gets dozens of free Christmas gifts for the family, and then loses his poo poo over a $900 room service bill after finding out his son is not dead or maimed

Sounds accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

freeedr posted:

Room Service can't be written off as a tax dodge.