Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Claeaus posted:

I'm assuming you meant to quote my post and not an egg's since (while it is awesome) it doesn't have any campfire or santas :D

Thanks! I bought these weird smooth canvas papers which hardly soaks up the paint at all which is really annoying. The sky looks streaky mostly because I gave up on the whole thing.

Man I am posting so ineptly lately. Wrong thread, wrong quote. But yes, I meant yours, it is great.:)

Bah. You might have to gesso the dang things but I get cross when I have to gesso something that's meant to already be primed.

e: see this is what I mean, a shameful snipe, here, I'm drawing Flick from Animal Crossing

my lines are all stupid, shouldn't have inked while tired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Zoben posted:

Thanks all :keke:

Another part, it turns into a more surreal look on either side. Trying to do a somewhat less trite/cliche version of an ouroboros for this album cover, but it's hard to come up with new poo poo. I lessened my stance on avoiding skulls, at least for this one, since they're fun to draw and automatically get more attention

I love how you make such complexity out of simplicity with clearly defined borders. The way you view your art in progress while you're building something like this up is really interesting to contemplate.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 13, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

A joke thing I slapped together for the discord art dome, the theme being "Strange Deliveries":

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

sigma 6 posted:

I may need to try this to get a wider variety of fragments.

Crossposted from the Draw Every Day thread:

Not really a daily drawing as more practice with the laser burner.
Design by Eli Quinn

One more by Mr. Quinn. This one was a bitch because the settings for cardboard as so much more sensitive than wood. 1 % can make the difference between engraving vs. cutting. Must have made at least 8 trying to get settings right.

A bit of thread necromancy, but I'm about to take a class in laser cutting/burning and these posts popped into my head, so I have a question about this one for either sigma 6 or Zoben:

Since you guys collaborated on this, was Zoben's original drawing provided as a bitmap or vector? Or better said: if it was a bitmap, how was it converted to a vector file? I'll be using LightBurn and its vector trace function seems way easier than futzing around in Inkscape (which worked even if it's a bit of a pain), but thought I'd check whether there's a third option I missed.

I'll be using the laser to cut some acrylic for an unrelated project, but I do have some of my own prints I would love to eventually scan/vectorize/burn.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Trabant posted:

A bit of thread necromancy, but I'm about to take a class in laser cutting/burning and these posts popped into my head, so I have a question about this one for either sigma 6 or Zoben:

Since you guys collaborated on this, was Zoben's original drawing provided as a bitmap or vector? Or better said: if it was a bitmap, how was it converted to a vector file? I'll be using LightBurn and its vector trace function seems way easier than futzing around in Inkscape (which worked even if it's a bit of a pain), but thought I'd check whether there's a third option I missed.

I'll be using the laser to cut some acrylic for an unrelated project, but I do have some of my own prints I would love to eventually scan/vectorize/burn.

It was a bitmap. I can easily trace it to vector but I kept it bitmap for the tiger. The other I think I traced in lightburn. Yes - it rocks and yes it is easier to use than most others. Definitely better than inkscape IMO but inkscape is free. Yeah - the second was traced and then I used a very low line interval to get an almost solid fill. Took forever. Vectors can take a surprisingly long time to burn depending on settings so I usually default to raster depending on the project. If it is very high contrast or line work based then vector is great. Otherwise use jarvis dithering for realism or maybe grayscale but I have never gotten good results out of grayscale dithering. You need a low wattage to get best results. Like 40 watts or something. Regardless, slow and low is best for engraving. Too slow and you may burn your material however.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
So, in the spirit of promoting some fun cross-collaboration on the forums, I'm sharing this thread, in which a goon is looking for some casual art for their winter game jam game. I understand the value of your time and effort so by all means don't feel pressured to provide free art. However, if you have some existing stuff that you know you're not going to do anything with, consider helping a goon out. I'll be crossposting about this, but again, no pressure whatsoever.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

sigma 6 posted:

It was a bitmap. I can easily trace it to vector but I kept it bitmap for the tiger. The other I think I traced in lightburn. Yes - it rocks and yes it is easier to use than most others. Definitely better than inkscape IMO but inkscape is free. Yeah - the second was traced and then I used a very low line interval to get an almost solid fill. Took forever. Vectors can take a surprisingly long time to burn depending on settings so I usually default to raster depending on the project. If it is very high contrast or line work based then vector is great. Otherwise use jarvis dithering for realism or maybe grayscale but I have never gotten good results out of grayscale dithering. You need a low wattage to get best results. Like 40 watts or something. Regardless, slow and low is best for engraving. Too slow and you may burn your material however.

Excellent! Thanks for the details, I think they'll be very helpful :tipshat:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Trabant posted:

He's got it covered already, since I don't do any of the burning. But just to answer the first question, all of my art is done traditionally first with pen and ink and I scan it in and color it digitally, so it's all bitmaps from start to finish. I don't really do much of anything with vector illustration.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks! That's encouraging to know, since my own process is very much analog right up to the point if/when I scan the final linocut print.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Trabant posted:

Thanks! That's encouraging to know, since my own process is very much analog right up to the point if/when I scan the final linocut print.

Right on. My process is essentially similar to comic book art production, the ink part is old-school (I know artists still do traditional and some do digital inks) and the coloring is digital (although I use an old-rear end Intuos 3 and I still use Photoshop CS3 since I don't need any of that new horseshit). Nothing but respect for bad-rear end digital painters, but I like a bit of that connection to the tactility of the medium. And the reason I don't color with watercolor or something is that I can't make up my mind on color schemes unless I try like a million different things. Also I'm not like Bill Sienkiewicz -level where his sense of color is loving godlike.

That's one of the only bummers when it comes to selling my art, the final piece exists in digital form, so people ask me about "buying originals" and I say that the only originals are black-and-white. Most people at art or craft shows don't understand that concept. It's kind of a strange thing, navigating the commerce aspect, because I have hundreds of prints which cost $10 - $60 at most and I figure that I'd be selling a lot, but people say that they "really want originals" and I'm like well, the pen work took me like a month so I'd only sell it for like $1000, which they're not interested in. Moral of the story: 90 percent of art customers are shitheads

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

Right on. My process is essentially similar to comic book art production, the ink part is old-school (I know artists still do traditional and some do digital inks) and the coloring is digital (although I use an old-rear end Intuos 3 and I still use Photoshop CS3 since I don't need any of that new horseshit). Nothing but respect for bad-rear end digital painters, but I like a bit of that connection to the tactility of the medium. And the reason I don't color with watercolor or something is that I can't make up my mind on color schemes unless I try like a million different things. Also I'm not like Bill Sienkiewicz -level where his sense of color is loving godlike.

That's one of the only bummers when it comes to selling my art, the final piece exists in digital form, so people ask me about "buying originals" and I say that the only originals are black-and-white. Most people at art or craft shows don't understand that concept. It's kind of a strange thing, navigating the commerce aspect, because I have hundreds of prints which cost $10 - $60 at most and I figure that I'd be selling a lot, but people say that they "really want originals" and I'm like well, the pen work took me like a month so I'd only sell it for like $1000, which they're not interested in. Moral of the story: 90 percent of art customers are shitheads

Hah - same problem. I sell the prints for 40-60 framed an no one wants to buy them.... then they ask me what the traditional pieces cost and I am like 80 100 160 or more... and then they walk away. If I wasn't selling them on the digital print framed for 40, I wasn't gonna sell them on the original for any more money. Vending sucks.

In short: Digital artists still get treated worse than traditional ones and that's why so many digital artists stick to commercial work - where they are more likely to get paid. Sorry to sound cynical but NFTs are not the solution either.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 25, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Feeling super depressed, alone, and just loving hate xmas. Started doing some drawing again to at least channel this poo poo.

Space hotdog being shot. Wanna do a copy of this book cover, but with hotdogs in space.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The holiday market circuit was good to me this year

Time to learn engraving

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

Time to learn engraving

What the flying gently caress is that?? I just use a laser.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's a printing press. It's usually used for intaglio, you can also run lino and maybe woodblocks through them.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

dupersaurus posted:

Time to learn engraving
:chanpop: Oh my god that is beautiful

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dupersaurus posted:

Time to learn engraving

Goddamn

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

sigma 6 posted:

What the flying gently caress is that?? I just use a laser.

Yeah, the engraving happens elsewhere, but then ink it up and run it through this to print the engraved image

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

oil painting I finished on new years day

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Who was begotten to die for our sins?

SPONGE
BOB
SQUARE
PANTS

Seriously great

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Double posting because I actually painted

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Some neighborhood scenes. I think the smaller dimensions are more manageable. Note the plane is supposed to be landing, not crashing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

been on a real big Hades kick and its gotten me inspired

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Exciting day, first prints off the press and my first intaglio prints!

Not my best drawings but it'll do to start

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Did some more painting

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

I'm happy with the apple, less happy with the paprika and not happy with that drat banana. Couldn't get it to look right.

It also looks crappier due to my crappy phone camera

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 27, 2022

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
This fuckin' thing is done

Only registered members can see post attachments!

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Zoben posted:

badass

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jesus Christ that's sick as hell

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Zoben posted:

Profound.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Gonna be one hell of an album cover

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

For the discord we did a "draw a fetish" art dome and this is my entry.

The others are much, MUCH more what you'd expect.
https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I found this old thermometer in my parents basement, I guess my brother got it from a house he was changing the HVAC system on. It was so rusted over you couldn't read half the numbers but I sandblasted it and it turned out pretty good considering how it started. I forgot to take a before pic like always but I painted it white like it seemed to originally be. I wanted to paint the lines and numbers black but my attempts to do it by hand looked bad given the uneven surface. I also tried masking tape to do the lines but it still looked kind of uneven. My next thought is some kind of stencil but I haven't tried it yet. Any ideas on how to have it look half decent?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I've only seen those painted on by hand, but if that's not working out, you might try asking in the restoration thread.

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009
Ink and watercolor

Skoora fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 13, 2022

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

loving love this. *Love* it. Acrylics or oils?

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Really? Man, thanks a lot! It's made with acrylics.

It feels like I leveled up a bit with this painting. I wanted to paint some random debris and was not sure how to do it and then I just thought "gently caress it" and splashed some colors and highlights down and it just started looking like random debris

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 12, 2022

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

My first market of the year is coming up in two weeks (and two weeks after that, and two weeks after that, and a week after that...), so I've started production of some new stuff. The headline? Using the etching press for the first time and ohmygoditmakesthingsomucheasier I've never had such a big area of solid ink come out so smooth

Edit

https://i.imgur.com/HLvdJyU.mp4

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Claeaus posted:

Really? Man, thanks a lot! It's made with acrylics.

It feels like I leveled up a bit with this painting. I wanted to paint some random debris and was not sure how to do it and then I just thought "gently caress it" and splashed some colors and highlights down and it just started looking like random debris

Yeah really it's extremely good, you banana. :)