Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Judge Dredd Megazine Vol. 2 #53
Script: John Wagner
Art: Mike "Mick" McMahon
Letters: Tom Frame
IIRC, Wagner and McMahon spent quite some time developing the alien character of Howler because they wanted a new recurring Dredd villain; the problem with Dredd is that his default method of dealing with villains leaves them as a bloodied corpse. (The most successful returnees were Judge Death [already dead]; Mean Machine Angel [actually did die, but was resurrected with the survival power of 'comic relief']; Chopper [not really a villain]; and PJ Maybe [had a good run over multiple decades, but eventually bought it about four different ways at once].) So they had high hopes for Howler.

Until Wagner actually wrote the story, realised there was no way Howler or Dredd would leave the other alive, and since the strip is called 'Judge Dredd'...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I got some stickers up for sale I think the users in here would find cool over at SA-Mart. Got some other stuff based on Metal Gear Solid and Simpsons too.

It glows in the dark....

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Sonic Holiday Special (1996)
Script: Nigel Kitching
Lines: Nigel Dobbyn
Colors: Tim Bolland
Letters: Ellie de'Ville

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm contractually obligated whenever Fleetway's Sonic the Comic is posted to let people know that there's a podcast called Sonic the Comic the Podcast that is reading through the comics in real time (so every two weeks) and is also a good overview of what it was like growing up as a British kid in the 90s.

Such a good comic at its best.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The art in Sonic the Comic, especially Dobbyn, spoiled me for nearly all superhero books. It's gorgeous at its best, and its best was frequent.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

James Stokoe is the coolest.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Batman's ears laying back means he's nervous and you should approach cautiously.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Well this sucks. George Perez has inoperable cancer

https://www.avclub.com/legendary-comic-book-creator-george-perez-says-he-has-i-1848176480

His stuff is always so much fun to look at

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Well this sucks. George Perez has inoperable cancer

https://www.avclub.com/legendary-comic-book-creator-george-perez-says-he-has-i-1848176480

His stuff is always so much fun to look at

God drat it. :smith:

His stuff is sooo good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sarah Dyer (Action Girl, long time colorist/collaborator/spouse to Evan Dorkin) also revealed she's going through chemo. If you've ever enjoyed work from either Sarah Dyer or Evan Dorkin, I can't recommend Evan Dorkin's patreon enough. They've been through the ringer the past year, any little bit helps.

https://www.patreon.com/evandorkin

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
I've been obsessed with Brecht Evens recently, especially his crowd scenes and use of colour. His newest graphic novel The City of Belgium is some virtuoso stuff that's totally outside the style of anglo comics.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MarsPearl posted:

I've been obsessed with Brecht Evens recently, especially his crowd scenes and use of colour. His newest graphic novel The City of Belgium is some virtuoso stuff that's totally outside the style of anglo comics.

Holy poo poo these are fantastic. Have to check out that book

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/MichelFiffe/status/1469682505607524362

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not sure if the years are always correct (Venom comes later than '84 was the one I noticed) but those are really cool. I feel like you can just tell that's Harry Goblin.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Fiffe gunning for that Spider-Man: Grand Design gig, I see (Marvel should absolutely have him do it that would be amazing, spectacular, beautiful comics).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Spider-Girl’s mid-air butt pose is cracking me up.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Easiest way to defeat Scorpion is to crop-dust him, everyone knows this.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Crowetron posted:

Easiest way to defeat Scorpion is to crop-dust him, everyone knows this.

That's Treason, Parker

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Darthemed posted:

It's aerodynamic!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darth TNT posted:

It's aerodynamic!

Wind goes past it?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

The art is rad, but the poses seem kinda static? They don't really look like spider-man to me; even the 80s one isn't exaggerated enough

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blue Beetle #20 (1943)
Pencils/Inks: Allen Ulmer (probably)

What If...? #81 (1996)
Pencils/Inks/Colors: Kevin Hopgood

Power Man and Iron Fist #80 (1982)
Pencils: Denys Cowan
Inks: Ricardo Villamonte

And a batch of Sienkiewicz, pencils and inks on all the following.

Moon Knight #9 (1981)

Moon Knight #26 (1982)

Moon Knight #29 (1983)

Moon Knight #30 (1983)

Moon Knight #37 (1984)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drat, that Moon Knight art is cool as hell. He drew the poo poo outta that rollercoaster.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Begemot posted:

drat, that Moon Knight art is cool as hell. He drew the poo poo outta that rollercoaster.

Never enough Bill Sienkiewicz in the world. I met him at a con when I was in high school and he signed my MK#1 which I later sold to buy cocaine when I hit my late teens.

Moon Knight was my favorite book when I was a teenager, :corsair: largely due to the art

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah I've been reading through the old Moon Knight stuff and the art is a huge treat. I guess with the series coming I should speed up a bit and try to get to some of the modern runs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

BiggerBoat posted:

Never enough Bill Sienkiewicz in the world. I met him at a con when I was in high school and he signed my MK#1 which I later sold to buy cocaine when I hit my late teens.

Moon Knight was my favorite book when I was a teenager, :corsair: largely due to the art

Moon Knight’s costume is cocaine camo.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

From this week's Nightwing (#87):

I could have posted the whole issue, really, it's (almost) all like that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Some Wil Eisner stuff right there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And that's a double page spread? So rad.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Lobok posted:

And that's a double page spread? So rad.

Yeah it's pretty much all spread. They get a lot of mileage out of the concept.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's the whole comic stitched together (small enough to be unreadable, so hopefully that's okay.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm late to the party reading through the Court of Owls storyline in Batman for the first time and the labyrinth issue was so cool. I read it in hardcover so I don't have digital versions to post but I just wanted to say somewhere how much I liked it. I don't even know how a digital version would even mimic the effect.

At one one point the panels change orientation so that you have to rotate the book ninety degrees and read the book from the new "top" down. It rotates more than once. And I forgot which way was right-side up so at one point when I turned the page I went backwards in the story. I literally got turned around and accidentally retraced my steps.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020
Neat.

And yeah, this sort of thing doesn't translate well when read digitally (even on a tablet). See also the recent Flash #776.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you like that kind of stuff Lemire did a mini called Trillium which also plays around with page layout and such. It tells the story of someone from the past and someone from the future meeting up and will do stuff like have the person from the past story run on the top of the page left to right and person from the future story take place at the bottom of the page and run right to left. That would be just one issue. Almost every issue did something different with the page structure/layout.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That sounds extremely up my alley, thanks. Love when comics do things that only they can do.

Really seems like a proud Ontarian. He has Essex County and the trillium is our provincial flower.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Related non-comic thing in the same vein, the mobile game Device 6 by Simogo. They made Year Walk and Sayonara Wild Hearts. It’s basically a digital text adventure but it does some really clever stuff with device rotation and scrolling to make the words more than just words.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Lobok posted:

Not sure if the years are always correct (Venom comes later than '84 was the one I noticed) but those are really cool. I feel like you can just tell that's Harry Goblin.

I'd guess that they're using the characters most prominent/introduced during the range of time, like 1984-1995. I started reading Spider-Man right around #300 with McFarlane so I definitely recall that storyline (I still have that issue and it'd be worth some money if I hadn't read it so much that the cover eventually fell off)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Hawkeye #2 (1983)
Pencils: Mark Gruenwald (breakdowns); Brett Breeding (finished art)
Inks: Brett Breeding
and the star of this panel
Colors: Bob Sharen

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I generally like Tim Sale's art on the Long Halloween, but this Batface cracked me up. Real Homer Simpson lips going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I generally like Tim Sale's art on the Long Halloween, but this Batface cracked me up. Real Homer Simpson lips going on there.

I can take or leave Tim Sale but I get why people like him. I love The Long Halloween and its art but ascribe most of that to the colorist, Gregory Wright, who I just had to look up because colorists never get any credit. Only blame.