Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Saga had some poor skill choices that scaled too well, like making Use the Force a skill that you could specialize in.

Defenses also didn't scale well with level, making anything after level 13 a mess.

Edit: also the books went out of print super fast. Like, during the life of the game, some of the books were hard to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The big vehicle book, Starships of the Galaxy, sold out within a few months and is the only book I wasn't able to get, I remember it selling on ebay for like $100 within a year of its release.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

alg posted:

Like, during the life of the game, some of the books were hard to get.

This doesn't sound much different to how FFG Star Wars has always been. :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

alg posted:

Saga had some poor skill choices that scaled too well, like making Use the Force a skill that you could specialize in.

Defenses also didn't scale well with level, making anything after level 13 a mess.

Edit: also the books went out of print super fast. Like, during the life of the game, some of the books were hard to get.

Yeah, I remember reading a couple of folks saying that the game worked really well at precisely levels 7-13/14* and everything else was not great.

*Which amusingly I believe were the levels in which a Jedi became a Knight and at 14 they graduated to Master.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wonder if they'll be able to (if even interested) publish the books in PDF format now.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Saga Edition post- second prestige class (really post-first prestige class if you knew what you were doing) was massively bullshit and ruled because you could just kind of break one thing over your knee.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I wonder if they'll be able to (if even interested) publish the books in PDF format now.

Someone asked them about it on Facebook and they said it's "not possible".

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Not surprising but still a shame.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Running a game on Foundry for the first time. I've ran a lot of star wars and am used to roll20, so any good Foundry resources, QOL improvements, etc?

Anything that will go from oggdudes xml to an in-foundry character sheet would be sick.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

Running a game on Foundry for the first time. I've ran a lot of star wars and am used to roll20, so any good Foundry resources, QOL improvements, etc?

Anything that will go from oggdudes xml to an in-foundry character sheet would be sick.

The Foundry swrpg module can import the oggdude dataset and all characters generated with it out of the box.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

yeah, check here: https://github.com/StarWarsFoundryVTT/StarWarsFFG/wiki

The dev went MIA so there are some issues with the current release of Foundry, I think.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

BabyFur Denny posted:

The Foundry swrpg module can import the oggdude dataset and all characters generated with it out of the box.

oh wow insane. That's great.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So I've been playing DnD 5e during this interminable pandemic, and I've had real trouble trying to get anything else going. I've tried to convince my group to try FFG Wars with me, but I made the mistake of mentioning the 5e Star Wars conversion and they want to play that instead, but I definitely don't want to run that.

Anybody had any success tempting people to play Star Wars who feel 5e is the best RPG and there's no reason to play anything else? I really struggle to pitch this to them, and what I think are selling points -- unique narrative dice system that does a hell of a lot more than pass/fail/crit, etc. -- don't seem to move the needle.

Failing that, is there any place I might dig up a good online group? I'm not sure where to look now that the FFG forums got nuked.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

thorsilver posted:

So I've been playing DnD 5e during this interminable pandemic, and I've had real trouble trying to get anything else going. I've tried to convince my group to try FFG Wars with me, but I made the mistake of mentioning the 5e Star Wars conversion and they want to play that instead, but I definitely don't want to run that.

Anybody had any success tempting people to play Star Wars who feel 5e is the best RPG and there's no reason to play anything else? I really struggle to pitch this to them, and what I think are selling points -- unique narrative dice system that does a hell of a lot more than pass/fail/crit, etc. -- don't seem to move the needle.

Failing that, is there any place I might dig up a good online group? I'm not sure where to look now that the FFG forums got nuked.

There's a whole facebook group called "I'm Begging you to Play Another RPG" that's literally people talking about the problem that you've had and also chatting about other non-5e rpgs.
You could probably find a group there too!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I know some people liked Saga Edition but a straight port of D&D always seems like the worst possible way to do Star Wars

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

thorsilver posted:

Might be bad form but pull the beleaguered DM card and say "hey I really want to try and run this and if you all don't like it we can move off of it to something more familiar, but just give me a session or two running this for you all to humor me."

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
The Star Wars RPG discord is a good bet to find players: https://discord.gg/starwarsrpg

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

We also have a goon one for the Star Wars RPG (obviously far less active though, but at one point a year or two ago we had like 3-4 regular games happening): https://discord.gg/sNBbf6vf

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Saga is a rock solid game for people who love D&D.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Strange Cares posted:

There's a whole facebook group called "I'm Begging you to Play Another RPG" that's literally people talking about the problem that you've had and also chatting about other non-5e rpgs.
You could probably find a group there too!

Ha, well I'm glad I'm not the only one :) I'll check that out, thank you -- and the Goon/SWRPG Discord servers too.

StashAugustine posted:

I know some people liked Saga Edition but a straight port of D&D always seems like the worst possible way to do Star Wars

Agreed! I find it strange that people seem so inclined to apply the DnD system to absolutely everything; I'll always love DnD but the mechanics generate a pretty specific play style. Also everyone believes 4e was terrible despite never having played it, which sucks because 4e was great IMO.

Dexo posted:

Might be bad form but pull the beleaguered DM card and say "hey I really want to try and run this and if you all don't like it we can move off of it to something more familiar, but just give me a session or two running this for you all to humor me."

Yeah, I think I might try something along those lines -- 'Just let me run a Beginner's Game adventure one night, and if you don't like it, I'll shut up about it', that sort of thing. That brings up another question -- is there a consensus on the best Beginner's Game adventure to hook in newbies? I was thinking Age of Rebellion, given that my players would be familiar with the original trilogy and probably not much else, but I'm open to suggestions :)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Edge of Empire is generally considered to be the best one from what I've read. I've played it and it was pretty good. We then went to long arm of the Hutt.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 12, 2021

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

It is. I cannot stress how much it is the worst way to do star wars.

CitizenKeen posted:

Saga is a rock solid game for people who love D&D.

It is comically easy to break over your knee by level like 7.

Drone posted:

We also have a goon one for the Star Wars RPG (obviously far less active though, but at one point a year or two ago we had like 3-4 regular games happening): https://discord.gg/sNBbf6vf

I should set aside time for another karmicgame.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Saga is an interesting take on the 3.5 formula and has a few cool mechanics that are a preview of 4e but that's about the best I can say for it, the FFG games just do Star Wars infinitely better.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

karmicknight posted:

I should set aside time for another karmicgame.

:sickos:

Want my Yuuzhan Vong notes? :haw:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

FFG Star Wars is comically easy to break at the start of the game too with stuff like Wookie Marauders :v:

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

alg posted:

FFG Star Wars is comically easy to break at the start of the game too with stuff like Wookie Marauders :v:

I think it's worth noting that the combat in FFG star wars is easy as all hell to break.

Whereas in SAGA, the whole game falls apart to a decent enough use the force, pilot, computer, or mechanics build.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Skill Focus: Use The Force is as about the most obligatory choice in character building there has ever been in character creation in any game ever and it's wild the Saga edition designers didn't see that instantly. Like it's not even some esoteric interaction or niche combo. Just one feat you always take as a glowstick man unless you want to be worse at lifting rocks for lolrp reasons.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Drone posted:

:sickos:

Want my Yuuzhan Vong notes? :haw:

I will never look upon your Yuuzhan Vong notes, only experience them from the perspective of player. I have a couple of ideas I am going to think about and see what I can do the most with, but I will not do the mythical Yuuzhan Vong game.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

The Edge of the Empire beginner game is probably the best, unless you think your players (or you) just really love being a part of the rebellion. It's got a stronger hook and in my experience people tend to get more excited about stealing something than assaulting a base.

As far as breaking combat goes, I've found that's a feature and not a bug, you just have to throw challenges at the team and let them figure out how to get out their messes. It's a high action pulpy system and a high action pulpy setting, so both you and your players should just go nuts.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I don't want to start an edition war, because I prefer FFG Star Wars, but

1) They're both comically easy to break, but I've found FFG Star Wars is harder to fix with house rules.

2) I can only assume 5E Star Wars is the easiest to break, and that sounds like where you're headed. I was just trying to offer a compromise. If you're capable of convincing your group to play FFG star Wars, do that. It just sounded like you couldn't do that.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Dexo posted:

Edge of Empire is generally considered to be the best one from what I've read. I've played it and it was pretty good. We then went to long arm of the Hutt.

RudeCat posted:

The Edge of the Empire beginner game is probably the best, unless you think your players (or you) just really love being a part of the rebellion. It's got a stronger hook and in my experience people tend to get more excited about stealing something than assaulting a base.

Thanks, that's helpful to know! I've got the EotE beginner game on my shelf, so I can definitely give that one a try, if I can convince the group to humour me.

CitizenKeen posted:

I don't want to start an edition war, because I prefer FFG Star Wars, but

1) They're both comically easy to break, but I've found FFG Star Wars is harder to fix with house rules.

2) I can only assume 5E Star Wars is the easiest to break, and that sounds like where you're headed. I was just trying to offer a compromise. If you're capable of convincing your group to play FFG star Wars, do that. It just sounded like you couldn't do that.

Yeah, I'm aiming for FFG Star Wars, but I do have the Saga edition PDFs kicking around if I get desperate. The fact that it has some 4e elements would at least make it more palatable for me than 5e, I really miss 4e.

As a newbie to the FFG system, what should I look out for on a PC's character sheet that might bust the game wide open? I don't mind a bit of craziness, but I'd like to avoid completely rampant nonsense since I'm still learning the system and may not be great at whipping up completely new challenges on the fly.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

thorsilver posted:

As a newbie to the FFG system, what should I look out for on a PC's character sheet that might bust the game wide open? I don't mind a bit of craziness, but I'd like to avoid completely rampant nonsense since I'm still learning the system and may not be great at whipping up completely new challenges on the fly.

The big one (at least combat-wise) is the PC choosing a beefy species like Wookiees and Trandoshans, putting every available ounce of XP into Brawn, and taking the Marauder specialization. That, some good armor, and a big melee weapon like a vibro-axe will basically make them deal massive damage in melee while simultaneously having enough Soak to shrug off almost everything short of lightsabers or vehicle-based weaponry.

The other big one is heavy repeating blasters with auto-fire talents, but that one doesn't come online for a while since they have to invest XP into the talent trees, while Brawn Marauder can be incredibly effective almost immediately.

Moose King fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 13, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Disrupters.

Just remove them from your game and pretend they don't exist. Don't let your players buy them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fuzz posted:

Disrupters.

Just remove them from your game and pretend they don't exist. Don't let your players buy them.

Also tinker with Autofire.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We've been talking about this in the Chat thread--when it's done well, D&D is a good base because it's easier to recognize e.g. a good combat encounter for a level 7 group than it is to recognize a good encounter for characters with 450 XP in a point-buy system. But it usually isn't done well. My thoughts on Star Wars D&D is that you're better off with Hack Wars or The Empire Strikes Hack. I'm not saying they're well-balanced, but neither is 5e. If you have to use some preexisting D&D ruleset, may as well use a simple one. If the rules are bad, at least there are less of them.

Moose King posted:

The big one (at least combat-wise) is the PC choosing a beefy species like Wookiees and Trandoshans, putting every available ounce of XP into Brawn, and taking the Marauder specialization. That, some good armor, and a big melee weapon like a vibro-axe will basically make them deal massive damage in melee while simultaneously having enough Soak to shrug off almost everything short of lightsabers or vehicle-based weaponry.

The other big one is heavy repeating blasters with auto-fire talents, but that one doesn't come online for a while since they have to invest XP into the talent trees, while Brawn Marauder can be incredibly effective almost immediately.
IME, this is not so much a problem because EotE is a crime game, like Shadowrun. A troll with a mono-axe can kill anything, but you can't sneak a troll with a mono-axe anywhere. I have some stormtrooper armor and a blaster rifle and I don't get to use them much.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think the problem with the marauder build is that because it's also insanely tanky (and due to the way soak works) it's hard to come up with something that will hurt them but won't turn everyone else into chunky salsa. I do agree that the game being more interesting outside of combat makes it a bit less of a problem when someone breaks it over their knee

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

thorsilver posted:

This isn't strictly character creation related, but one thing to consider is that it is surprisingly hard to actually kill characters in even combat in the rules as written.

That is - sure, the GM can present hugely powerful threats (i.e., "the Empire crashes a Star Destroyer onto your apartment"), but in a straight shoot-out with something like Stormtroopers it's nearly impossible to get killed by a couple of unlucky die rolls. In the rules as written the only way to in combat is by rolling over 141 on a d100 on Table 6-10 Critical Injury Results. In other words, you have to stack up more than one - more likely a few - critical hit results before you die, and odds are you'll get knocked out or otherwise incapacitated first. And that's if you're just standing out in the open shooting; any play involving other random results and complications from dice rolls, which makes death even less likely. Just getting in a shootout with stormtroopers will not kill a character.

This is absolutely a feature and not a bug. In my experience players coming from other systems don't really realize this at first and play cautiously unless you directly tell them first, so they play like low level D&D characters avoiding getting beaten up by Orcs. Then they come to realize that no, one shot from Stormtrooper TK-9923 isn't going to kill them, so they start taking all kinds of Star Wars-y genre appropriate risks, which is again, great. It also means that if they're down with it, a character's death won't come from a random shot from a random threat - instead, it will be the result of something appropriately heroic or tragic, a situation where they knew that there was a real chance of death where they chose to keep taking the risks over and over.

It's a subtle part of a drat good system that doesn't get enough credit, but goes a very long way towards making things feel right for the genre.

Edit: I see this was mentioned above, but I'm a pedantic rear end.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 13, 2021

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

IME, this is not so much a problem because EotE is a crime game, like Shadowrun. A troll with a mono-axe can kill anything, but you can't sneak a troll with a mono-axe anywhere. I have some stormtrooper armor and a blaster rifle and I don't get to use them much.

StashAugustine posted:

I think the problem with the marauder build is that because it's also insanely tanky (and due to the way soak works) it's hard to come up with something that will hurt them but won't turn everyone else into chunky salsa. I do agree that the game being more interesting outside of combat makes it a bit less of a problem when someone breaks it over their knee

Yeah, that's the big thing. To make a 5e analogy, in FFG Star Wars the Brawn stat is basically what you get when you combine Strength, Constitution, and Damage Resistance all into one ability score. A Marauder can turn what would otherwise be a well-balanced encounter into something like Vader in the hallway scene in Rogue One. The GM has to get creative to have combat encounters that walk the fine line between "Marauder murders all the enemies with little effort" and "The enemies are strong enough to challenge the Marauder, which means they'll mulch the Marauder's Jawa Technician buddy."

That being said, getting creative to provide an adequate and fun challenge for everyone at the table is literally the GM's job, so having a Big Brawn Marauder isn't a bad thing! It's just an opportunity to get more interesting with your encounter design. Split enemies up across the battlefield, have them focus fire on the big scary Wookiee with the battle-axe, maybe the enemies have a big scary dude of their own for your Marauder to duel on top of a speeding hover-train or whatever shenanigans your crew gets into.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I find the best way to threaten players (and what sneaks up on groups and GMs a lot) is attrition. It's not always easy to get rid of critical wounds. Even those measly "1 setback on your next roll" type things that are easily forgotten are still there. You're not going to die in your first Stormtrooper fight, but when you're escaping a Star Destroyer you will almost certainly die in your fourth fight with Stormtroopers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Perhaps I should have added that "How do I challenge the Troll Samurai without splattering the decker" is also a common problem in Shadowrun.

But yeah: attrition, time pressure, and shifting environments are the way to go. EotE characters are rarely or never "clearing a dungeon" of every bad guy standing in their way. You usually have a mission to get in, do a thing, and get out before you're pinned down by a literal army. And along the way you end up crawling through chutes, crossing bridges as they're collapsing, and other action movie set-pieces that prevent you from fighting like an infantry squad.

Edit: In talking about systems, one of the things I miss when I play d20 or percentile based stuff is weird mechanics where special effects can trigger on a certain die roll, like Triumphs and Despairs.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 13, 2021