Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Anime characters with the sort of smoothed modern look persona uses don't have enough facial detail to map onto any real world ethnicity cleanly. Same way you can only tell a Loony Toon's precise origin by skin color or if the artist decides to be hilariously racist.

Acerbatus posted:

I love tyranny even if it's blatantly unfinished, but the rebel routes are totally the least interesting content in the game.
It's worth doing all four playthroughs. I also appreciate that being the good guy is actually mechanically and storywise harder than just going with the flow or killing everyone. Though the main rebel path could have done with a lot more work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You want diverse anime characters you get Toshihiro Kawamoto to draw them when he's not busy running studio bones. That guy's character design work is superb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DeafNote posted:

I think he is saying that its an unclear subject not just because of the way anime is drawn, but because "A game like Persona 5 technically counts as diverse for us, but not for Japan itself."
Not the prettiest answer I know.
And I cant recall all of the games he reviewed for those years, so I wouldn't know if he missed anything that came from Japan.
No no, I agree with the 'Japanese games having Japanese characters in them isn't diversity,' my point is 'but what about when Japanese games have white people in them and actually engage with discrimination/otherization of foreigners, or black people, or some of Japan's indigenous groups, or whatever.'

Like it's not especially well executed or deeply explored but Anne in P5 is specifically half-white and is fetishized for it by the creepy teacher in the opening act and mentions that some of the other girls treat her weird because of it. It's exploring racial themes from the perspective of someone who isn't part of the racial majority in Japanese society. And it is actually a developing issue in Japan, mixed-race kids are slowly getting more common. I guess it doesn't map cleanly onto his pie chart but that's kind of my point, the pie chart is a pretty useless exercise even as a half-joking shorthand.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 12, 2021

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Yeah that's why I added the last sentence since I didn't remember if any other game he reviewed applied for those parameters.
You could argue that Ann isn't the Main main character of Persona5. But she was at least more than the usual token minority sidecharacter.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's why Junji Ito is the best everyone looks the same. Until they're overtaken by a spiral or forced through a mountain pass of course.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

In Junji Ito's world we are all equal(ly screwed).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Does anyone have "WHY DO PEOPLE WATCH MOVIES".jpg lying around?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DoctorWhat posted:

Does anyone have "WHY DO PEOPLE WATCH MOVIES".jpg lying around?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
graci

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

hahahah

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Looks like Eyepatch Wolf went off the deep end looking at fandoms again

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I want to be Garfield

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
John's ultimate thesis statement as a result of... this, is that we all want to be Garfield. But, we are all, in reality, just Jon Arbuckle.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm a third of the way through and maybe i'm just naive having been on the internet for a while, but its hard for me to believe eyepatch wolf was that shocked that garfield as a comic is largely about jon being pathetic. and then to talk about garfield minus garfield as if he unearthed some haunting lost curio, like... c'mon man, your videos are good as they are, the riverdale video ruled, but everyone with even an inch of knowledge of garfield on the internet knows garfield minus garfield and lasagna cat, and that garfield strips are mostly jon being a loser

e: i'm assuming the video is meant to be an outsider's perspective looking into garfield for the first time?? maybe?? i'm glad the garfield phone beach incident was brought up though

e: e: lol never mind i got to the 51 minute mark

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 13, 2021

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm a third of the way through and maybe i'm just naive having been on the internet for a while, but its hard for me to believe eyepatch wolf was that shocked that garfield as a comic is largely about jon being pathetic. and then to talk about garfield minus garfield as if he unearthed some haunting lost curio, like... c'mon man, your videos are good as they are, the riverdale video ruled, but everyone with even an inch of knowledge of garfield on the internet knows garfield minus garfield and lasagna cat, and that garfield strips are mostly jon being a loser

e: i'm assuming the video is meant to be an outsider's perspective looking into garfield for the first time?? maybe?? i'm glad the garfield phone beach incident was brought up though

Oh no, is he pulling another Space Jam 2 swerve?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Bee posted:

Oh no, is he pulling another Space Jam 2 swerve?
nah he just realized he completely blocked out a period of his childhood where he was into garfield and had garfield toys/plushes but it was a really small segment

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

i like the narration on this tiny unknown channel. he sounds like a documentary maker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntgi84YdW28

this older essay on russian animation of his is better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UALreieU39Q but definitely a sleeper channel to watch

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

The 7th Guest posted:

I feel like the engagement tip of "join the audience in the path of discovery the video takes them on" often instead becomes "play dumb so you can get those wacky reactions to stuff you already know about".

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

*Hushed, awed tone* Garfield... loves lasagna but *choking back tears* the way he treats Odie is very disturbing.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
This video is clearly about the Garfield fanbase... not just For the fanbase.
Granted, I am not sure what % of his usual audience does not know about Garfield at all, but I can imagine not everyone has seen Lasagnacat for instance.
(On the other hand I didnt know about Gramfeld, so I got something out of it at least)

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 13, 2021

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Actually sitting down and watching the whole 5-hour "Sex Survey Results" video is an impressive amount of dedication for something so utterly pointless

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Most of my knowledge of Garfield comes from this so I can see why someone might be confused about the subject matter of the actual comic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

"Intrepid Garfield Historian Quinto Reviews" had me laughing out loud.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alacron posted:

Actually sitting down and watching the whole 5-hour "Sex Survey Results" video is an impressive amount of dedication for something so utterly pointless
It's a real journey.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
lasagnacat made the only good garfield joke media imo because the effort put into it was so above and beyond what anyone had or has done. the sex survey video was spectacular. i remember watching the whole thing in between classes in college lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTcyc-JwmOg

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and i say what about

breakfast WITH GARFIELD

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The best Garfield media is the Twitter account that adds Garfield getting chucked out of a window to every strip.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Alaois posted:

and i say what about

breakfast WITH GARFIELD

I still sing that to myself when that stupid jingle of a song comes on. And at random. That one was taken down for the dumbest reason (because of the fake "breakfast with Garfield" contest at the end from what I understand)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I found out about from the comic thread So I keep thinking that it came from here like the Incel/Excel meme.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I also hardcore stan the random Garfield generator and the "Garfield but with the thought balloons removed" edits that, I believe, originated on these forums. Seriously, it always struck me as a travesty that Garfield Minus Garfield took off in place of the silent Garfield edits since, at least in my opinion, those better expose the depressing life Jon has in the original comic than GMG (Which often makes additional edits to the original to make Jon seem like more of a depressed sad sack).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvG3DQGdoDk

pat understands that the true star of the song and video is Monster Truck

Alaois fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 14, 2021

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The only part of the new Kid Rock song I've heard is an isolated clip of him singing "Ain't nobody gonna tell me how to live."

It sounds exactly like Matt Stone singing a joke song for Team America or South Park.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

The only part of the new Kid Rock song I've heard is an isolated clip of him singing "Ain't nobody gonna tell me how to live."

It sounds exactly like Matt Stone singing a joke song for Team America or South Park.

that aint kid rock, thats Monster Truck baybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This is series is a few years old, but if you haven't seen it, you should watch Defunctland's six-part history of Jim Henson and the Muppets, it's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVoGf1JTVeI

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

People Make Games put out a follow-up piece to their incredible deep dive into the hostile and abusive world of Roblox development. Definitely worth a watch, as was the first video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMF6xEiAaY

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvG3DQGdoDk

pat understands that the true star of the song and video is Monster Truck

Holy poo poo Dead Man's Trail nails the "antisocial behavior? that's my personality" thing running through these types of songs

Pat's joke songs are almost always the highlights of these things. The Bruce Springsteen thing is spectacular.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Incorrect; It's Garfield Minus Garfield, chronicling Jon Arbuckle's slow descent into madness as a lonely man.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
lasagnacat is legtimately the best Garfield media, this isn't debatable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySGtniX4QrU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NeqMAAsBk

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nuns with Guns posted:

lasagnacat is legtimately the best Garfield media, this isn't debatable
this one's my fav
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yELOiYgR2aI

FatalFarm also produced the best robocop media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The 7th Guest posted:

stillvisions posted:

I feel like the engagement tip of "join the audience in the path of discovery the video takes them on" often instead becomes "play dumb so you can get those wacky reactions to stuff you already know about".
If you were a kid growing up back then I assume you would not be reading the newspaper comics (because seriously who reads newspaper comics? not kids) and your familiarity with garfield would primarily come from the merch (school supplies, t-shirts, stickers, stuffed animals, etc.) and maybe watching the cartoons/tv specials, which are all about garfield and not jon. So going back and actually reading a whole bunch of the newspaper comics and seeing how much they are about jon would be a real surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3FJePrGZb8