Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
My wife just won an Ooni Karu 12 and I'm very excited to start making some pies. I'm a very novice pizza chef having only really made them in a 500° oven. Anyone with experience with the Ooni line have advice/tips? Essential accessories? I've already ordered a peel and a thermometer. How well do they do in cold weather?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I started pizza dough an hour ago and miscalculated the flour (instead of 1150g flour + semolina, I put in about 1025g). I ran it in the stand mixer for about 10 minutes and it came out awfully thin and sticky. When I realized what I had done, I kneaded in the rest of the flour for a minute or two and crossed my fingers. Is it likely to come out ok? Is this the kind of thing you can take a mulligan on?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

HolHorsejob posted:

I started pizza dough an hour ago and miscalculated the flour (instead of 1150g flour + semolina, I put in about 1025g). I ran it in the stand mixer for about 10 minutes and it came out awfully thin and sticky. When I realized what I had done, I kneaded in the rest of the flour for a minute or two and crossed my fingers. Is it likely to come out ok? Is this the kind of thing you can take a mulligan on?

Speaking from experience as a commercial baker, yes; not only can you mulligan extra flour, but the salt, sugar, and yeast too. :downs:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

lifts cats over head posted:

My wife just won an Ooni Karu 12 and I'm very excited to start making some pies. I'm a very novice pizza chef having only really made them in a 500° oven. Anyone with experience with the Ooni line have advice/tips? Essential accessories? I've already ordered a peel and a thermometer. How well do they do in cold weather?

well i've not had much luck with mine...probably havent tried using it for almost a year now? i pretty much gave up because i found it far too frustrating compared to ny pizza in my oven or detroit style in my oven.

but you will need two peels, wood for launching the pizza and a thin one for turning/removing it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

HolHorsejob posted:

You’ll likely be fine.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BraveUlysses posted:

deeeetroit baby. used kenjis recipe but added some sourdough and cold fermented for 4 days.

Perfection :discourse:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

lifts cats over head posted:

I have had mine for a month or so and have really enjoyed it. A peel is a necessity, I also got the metal turning peel and am glad I did, its much easier to maneuver.

(this one, but I am sure there are cheaper ones: https://ooni.com/products/ooni-pizza-turning-peel )

I'd say that the pizzas I have made on it are definitely the best I have ever made, after years of the standard 500-degree oven its like night and day better. But you have to be careful not to burn it since it cooks so fast, and really my main challenge has been a clean launch.

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7kIjZh2rxU

Its helpful, and I'd say to err on the side of more flour (or even better, semolina) underneath, even though it can cause a bit of charring on the base. Also, once the toppings are on it has to go in fast, or else the sauce will start to seep through and stick everything to the peel. Once the dough gets really stuck on the peel it's a lost cause, pretty much.

I hope you enjoy it!

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 3, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Re: Detroit pizza

Without access to brick cheese, what is the best substitute?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I use the same low moisture whole milk mozzarella that I use for ny pizza

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I read a 50/50 mix of mozzarella and monterey jack before and that gave me a very similar vibe. Or rather, I was using that mix beforehand until I stumbled across some brick cheese. When I tried that cheese, it really did seem like a blend between the two.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Brick cheese is just a semi-hard surface ripened cheese. It’s what you get when you do just sort of a standard boring middle of the road cheese making process and then press it into the shape of a brick (and also maybe use bricks to do it). Any sort of mild flavored cheese that melts well will stand in fine for flavor of what you’d find outside Wisconsin, so Monterey Jack is okay, but mixing it with low moisture mozz will get you the right consistency.

I very much find it interesting because that’s the type of poo poo-cheese you could buy in big blocks for cheap growing up, and it’s about as special as the mild cheddar that all the big commercial producers make.

Melts drat well on a pizza though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah normally when the olds reminisce about stuff, it's through some kind of rose-tinted glasses, but I get the vibe that government cheese was something else and oddly elevated.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As someone who had his share of government cheese growing up, what we got was a large block of unsliced American cheese. I do not remember it being anything to covet.

We also got a lot of butter. LMAO at the government just giving poor people more butter than they can possibly use.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I don’t think it was ever government cheese, but it was the cheap stuff at the grocery store in Wisconsin when I grew up. Government cheese would be the ultra processed stuff like American cheese, probably due to the ingredient cost being lower. I’m not sure that I’d use that on pizza myself. Burgers though…

Point is, brick cheese is fine, but really not special. Some are yellow, some are white.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Catered a beautiful wedding for about 50 people on the dry lakebed outside of Vegas. Perfect weather and great pizzas!

Pizzas from top to bottom:
Pepperoni, one NY style and one Neapolitan style
"Grandpa White" Pie - white pie with confit garlic and lemon garlic ricotta dollops
NY style cheese
Margherita

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:allears:

Pizza wedding best wedding.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Why is one of your assistants twice as tall as the other?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bolind posted:

Why is one of your assistants twice as tall as the other?

My wife is 4’11” and my chef is 6’4”. Plus the wide angle lens, haha!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Looks really nice. I have an unexpected trip to Vegas coming up, but I assume the restaurant won't be open yet. I'll still have a reason to go back one day.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Those look super good. If I’m ever in Vegas I will definitely stop by your place.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

Looks really nice. I have an unexpected trip to Vegas coming up, but I assume the restaurant won't be open yet. I'll still have a reason to go back one day.

We're open now at a multi-chef concept space in DTLV, it's an incubator space that we're in until the brick and mortar opens up. Open Thursday-Sunday currently, you can check our hours at yukonpizza.com or on IG @yukonpizza

I know at least a couple goons have come through, always happy to share the sourdough story and pizza.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Nice, adding to my list.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ogopogo posted:

My wife is 4’11”

Then my wife has half an inch on yours! :D :cheers:

Pies look amazing, as always.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got some buffalo mozz, it's way nicer than the lactose-free mozzarella I've been using, and apparently low lactose content.

I only started making pizza when my girlfriend stopped being able to eat lactose, shortly after we moved to a country where the diet is 90% cheese. Lol.

The dough behaved a bit weirdly today, a bit sticky. Tasted good though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I love this pizza recipe because it reheats so drat well.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://i.imgur.com/RfOTgqU.mp4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
drat that should be illegal.

Does anyone have any tips/articles/videos on dough shaping? I'm trying to get a classic ring crust and I'm failing miserably. My pies all turn out like puffy discs with no discernible edge roll to grab onto.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Here's a vid of me doing it

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/915713803751161926/915717558152355881/5v1tpgN.mp4

it's like making a plate on a pottery wheel, poke your finger down the center and work out the rim

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
What do folks use to make their peel nice and slidey? I'm using cornmeal but I can rarely make the pizza slide easy unless I use way too much

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Some people use parchment paper, that's probably the easiest.

It took me a while to get a feel for the cornmeal. I make sure that everything else is ready first, oven ready to go and all toppings out. I dust a wooden peel with cornmeal, and then stretch the dough and lay it on the peel. No stretching once on the peel if I can help it. I give the peel a shake to make sure it's sliding free, it's easier to add more meal before toppings go on. Then add the toppings, shake again. Straight into the oven, the longer it sits the more it sticks.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

HolHorsejob posted:

What do folks use to make their peel nice and slidey? I'm using cornmeal but I can rarely make the pizza slide easy unless I use way too much

I started using semolina instead of flour or corn meal and it works way better, I’m definitely sticking with it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

HolHorsejob posted:

Rice flour. It doesn’t burn nearly as bad as cornmeal.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

HolHorsejob posted:

Not quite an answer to your question, but a Superpeel might be a good option. I don’t think I can go back after using one.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The Ooni Koda 12 arrived today! I've been making pizza for a couple years using the Elements of Pizza methods, but does anyone have any tips for moving up to the Koda? I already added a cheap-o amazon 7" turning peel and IR thermometer to the toolkit to help. Any good dough recipes to try out for starters, or guidelines for adapting EoP dough recipes for the hotter oven? IIRC Forkish mentions the actually neopolitan restaurants he visited in Italy use a lower hydration dough when baking at 900F compared his recipes that are adapted for 500-550F. However, IIRC from previous discussions in this thread, some here like to actually raise hydration for the faster/hotter bakes (essentially the opposite of what Forkish says).

HolHorsejob posted:

I usually just use AP flour on a wood peel without much issue. The main trick I've found is that if the dough is sitting on the peel for too long while you're building the pizza it'll get stuck, so you just need to jerk the peel every so often to keep the dough sliding.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
We had a one year anniversary party for the space that we’ve been working out of! It was a slapper of a day, and we sold out after making 150 pizzas. A friend was able to catch some cool shots of me working the oven near the end of the day.

https://i.imgur.com/P71u63T.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/KVYf5IJ.mp4

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

ogopogo posted:

We had a one year anniversary party for the space that we’ve been working out of! It was a slapper of a day, and we sold out after making 150 pizzas. A friend was able to catch some cool shots of me working the oven near the end of the day.

https://i.imgur.com/P71u63T.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/KVYf5IJ.mp4

This is awesome! Congrats man

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

would definitely pay money for that pepperoni

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bees x1000 posted:

would definitely pay money for that pepperoni

I would do more than pay money.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I was in Las Vegas this past weekend, but I couldnt make it out :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Can someone recommend a decent pizza pan/stone for around $40 or so? I'm shopping for a Christmas present for someone who loves pizza.

I know they make a lot of frozen pizza, would a stone/pan be beneficial for making those as well? Or is it generally for homemade pies?