Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

TheFluff posted:

Oh wait hold on, it might not even be bribery or a scam but rather just budgetary stupidity. They set the number of aircraft and the total budget well beforehand (64 aircraft/10 billion euro), so this might very well be a case of having to spend all of the allocated funds or lose them. Saab even had room to include two AEW&C aircraft as part of the offer.

I appreciate your diligence in being fair but at this point I’m prone to assume that literally anything around the F-35 that doesn’t involving it being canned is rooted in corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Let’s not pretend that the Swedish military industrial complex is above bribery, like when they tried to get South Africa to buy JAS

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

luminalflux posted:

Let’s not pretend that the Swedish military industrial complex is above bribery, like when they tried to get South Africa to buy JAS

Of course not, there's always bribery in military procurement, it's just how it works. All the secrecy makes it extremely fertile ground for corruption.

South Africa shouldn't have bought a fighter jet at all - they can't afford to operate them. Their entire Gripen fleet is currently grounded because their maintenance contracts have ran out and they don't have the budget to renew them right now.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 10, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I had a friend who was working somewhere barely adjacent to fighter jets in the Danish government, I think some agency of the ministry of science, and he was invited to fancy receptions by various jetmongers. The corruption is basically a full scale assault.

They also took out a full page add in several newspapers, which seems dumb but probably isn't.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I liked when one of the four extant F-35 simulators on loan to the Danish air force spontaneously caught fire and was totally destroyed. Now that's realism.

I wonder how many nurses you could hire for 60 billion.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

BigglesSWE posted:

I appreciate your diligence in being fair but at this point I’m prone to assume that literally anything around the F-35 that doesn’t involving it being canned is rooted in corruption.

Why not blackmail or coercion?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a lot of military procurement is also geostrategic positioning. for some absurd reason the nordic countries have started really doubling down on the US as their patron for the past couple of decades and this makes sense in that context. basically it's feudal obligations. why we insist on making this choice is very unclear, since the US is basically a prize fighter with holes starting to emerge in its brain from tissue degradation

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

basically most of modern arms procurement is heavily predicated on the idea that none of this stuff is going to be seriously used or tested at any point, so feature bloat and ridiculous expense isn't really an issue. it's a very strange business.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Støjberg guilty

https://www.euronews.com/2021/12/13/inger-st-jberg-denmark-s-ex-immigration-minister-convicted-of-impeachment-over-asylum-poli

Also good tweet

https://twitter.com/DavidWedege/status/1470364864682115086

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 13, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And predictably, she's whining to all her Twitter etc. followers that she "did nothing wrong" and was "only trying to protect those poor girls", and that "Danish values lost on this day".

Presumably her "Danish values" are something on the order of "I can do anything I want to do, gently caress you and gently caress Muslims especially".

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Reminder that Venstre let a convicted pedophile run for office again.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
That's just Danish politics innit, convicted or not, Jeppe Kofod still having his job is amazing to me.

Somewhat on topic, this was actually a really interesting podcast I listened to a few days ago, on the 'random controls' on pedophiles and other sex criminals, that dont seem to work, if not straight up working again its intentions, but how it will probably never get changed as no one wants to touch the subject.

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/forbrydelse-og-moral/episod-35-kasper-jorgensen-kriminolog-om-kontrolle/

Some weird ruling/laws.

KozmoNaut posted:

And predictably, she's whining to all her Twitter etc. followers that she "did nothing wrong" and was "only trying to protect those poor girls", and that "Danish values lost on this day".

Presumably her "Danish values" are something on the order of "I can do anything I want to do, gently caress you and gently caress Muslims especially".

The Danish values poo poo always gets me. I always (apparently wrongly) assumed the Danish values were also about not breaking the law

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Depends on which Dane you're asking.

Breaking the law! Breaking the law!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Danelaw lost its meaning after Brexit. Now it's only anarchy in the UK.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
They're just so flabbergasted when once in a blue moon the law also applies to them. It's literally unbelieable to them that they can't just do whatever they want all the time. Her: :qq: "It's against danish values, I just wanted to protect the girls" really demonstrates it perfectly. Like, I think it's against the nebulous 'danish values' when giant mustachioed jutlanders starts baton-smashing tiny teenagers for standing in the wrong place, but I sure as gently caress get prison time for pushing one of faschist pigs out of the way.

e: vvv Hvaaa' fooorgåååår dar herrr????

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 13, 2021

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Revelation 2-13 posted:

They're just so flabbergasted when once in a blue moon the law also applies to them. It's literally unbelieable to them that they can't just do whatever they want all the time. Her: :qq: "It's against danish values, I just wanted to protect the girls" really demonstrates it perfectly. Like, I think it's against the nebulous 'danish values' when giant mustachioed jutlanders starts baton-smashing tiny teenagers for standing in the wrong place, but I sure as gently caress get prison time for pushing one of faschist pigs out of the way.
Reported for racism.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Så sidder der så'n en højttaler på æ ryg å æ hui som si'er:

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Og det' så signal til æ hui om at den bar' ska' begynd' å bi'e.

...Ja man behøver ik' ligefrem at lære dem at slå, vel?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

300 000 infected per day, huh. sounds a little low, but i guess they're doing a conservative estimate to avoid causing panic.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Løkke's take on this is hilarious. He really wishes they could have run the commission under the previous government, so the case wouldn't have made it to a court, and they could have let Støjberg off with the dreaded "næse", but then when asked if she should lose her eligibility to be in the Folketing, he's like oh definitely, she's a criminal now.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA1vBooFHy8

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Pretty good summary of Danish values imo.

But 25/26 judges voted guilty, and that includes the politically chosen ones. Which means that even her own party could see that what she did was illegal. Also the 26th argued that what she did was right, so nevermind the law.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Now I'm curious, what are the stereotypes about Jutlanders? It's the part of Denmark I've visited the most by far

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Basically all the US red state tropes, good and bad, with some extra miserly attitudes.

They also seem to take pride in most of those which tends to elicit some grudging (or even resentful) respect

jeebus bob fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 14, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8RnPpBirok

We also made this.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

a lot of military procurement is also geostrategic positioning. for some absurd reason the nordic countries have started really doubling down on the US as their patron for the past couple of decades and this makes sense in that context. basically it's feudal obligations. why we insist on making this choice is very unclear, since the US is basically a prize fighter with holes starting to emerge in its brain from tissue degradation

The F-35 is the NATO tax.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ThaumPenguin posted:

Now I'm curious, what are the stereotypes about Jutlanders? It's the part of Denmark I've visited the most by far

Salt of the earth, not easily impressed, miserly, really don't like paying taxes, shrewd at trading good and services, more old-fashioned/behind the times (from a Copenhagen perspective), more grounded.

Of course the specific region also matters for stereotypes. In very rough categories, east Jutlanders are industrious entrepreneurs, middle Jutlanders are coarse-hewn farmers, west Jutlanders are fishers and devout Christians, north Jutlanders are very matter-of-fact and proudly so, and south Jutlanders are half-Germans obsessed with cake. As with all stereotypes, they are gross generalisations.

Conversely Jutlanders obviously have a number of stereotypes about Copenhageners*, and since I'm from the very best part of Denmark, I can laugh at all of them :denmark:

*(Most of the stereotypes about Jutlanders apply just as much to people from Funen and from the west and south of Zealand, basically anywhere not Copenhagen+suburbs and parts of northern Zealand, really.)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 14, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Everything south of the fjord is Copenhagen.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KozmoNaut posted:

Salt of the earth, not easily impressed, miserly, really don't like paying taxes, shrewd at trading good and services, more old-fashioned/behind the times (from a Copenhagen perspective), more grounded.

Of course the specific region also matters for stereotypes. In very rough categories, east Jutlanders are industrious entrepreneurs, middle Jutlanders are coarse-hewn farmers, west Jutlanders are fishers and devout Christians, north Jutlanders are very matter-of-fact and proudly so, and south Jutlanders are half-Germans obsessed with cake. As with all stereotypes, they are gross generalisations.
Note: The stereotypes just compress as you move westward. From the perspective of an east Jutlander, the real industrious entrepreneurs/grifters are found around Herning.

KozmoNaut posted:

Conversely Jutlanders obviously have a number of stereotypes about Copenhageners*, and since I'm from the very best part of Denmark, I can laugh at all of them :denmark:

*(Most of the stereotypes about Jutlanders apply just as much to people from Funen and from the west and south of Zealand, basically anywhere not Copenhagen+suburbs and parts of northern Zealand, really.)
Yeah. I used to just think of Zealanders as all the same, but in my experience, everywhere on Zealand not Copenhagen feels exactly the same as eastern Jutland. Like, the only real difference is that some of the towns have some really pretty older buildings, which pre-date the colonization of Jutland by Zealanders during the 19th century.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's classic urban/rural more than anything really, people from Aarhus are basically okay from a Copenhagen perspective, but people from Sorø might as well be from Jutland, despite being firmly on Zealand.

The tax thing gives rise to prices in "jyske dollars", which means without VAT.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I’m a weird far traveller who comes from all over, so I can laugh at all the stereotypes as well. Once in a while I’m surprised by someone who takes real serious offence at something, and who also think other stereotypes are totally correct, and I’m really weirded out.

There only a couple of really true ones. 1) Næstved area has by far the most awful sounding accent of the entire country. 2) people from Herning are the worst.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I’m a weird far traveller who comes from all over, so I can laugh at all the stereotypes as well. Once in a while I’m surprised by someone who takes real serious offence at something, and who also think other stereotypes are totally correct, and I’m really weirded out.

There only a couple of really true ones. 1) Næstved area has by far the most awful sounding accent of the entire country. 2) people from Herning are the worst.

I'm so thoroughly from Copenhagen that I'm not entirely sure which part of the country those two places are in.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Only correct stereotype is it's all poo poo and should be bulldozed back into the chalky sea.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Revelation 2-13 posted:

people from Herning are the worst.

I see you've never visited Randers.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Only correct stereotype is it's all poo poo and should be bulldozed back into the chalky sea.

But enough about Stockholm….

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for the replies on Jutlander stereotypes, everyone.

KozmoNaut posted:

For what it's worth there's a pretty good museum there and some neat old buildings.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

KozmoNaut posted:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

jeebus bob posted:

I'm so thoroughly from Copenhagen that I'm not entirely sure which part of the country those two places are in.

Jylland. Which is everything with a zip code above 2799.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cardiac posted:

But enough about Stockholm….

Chalky water doesn't melt granite!

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Herning pretty bad. But Vestegnen, Randers and Aalborg sure as gently caress at least competes with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've seen bourgoise people praise Nooshi Dadgostar lately for this. Some, the real free market believers don't like it.

https://www.msn.com/sv-se/nyheter/inrikes/v-%E2%80%9Dta-tillbaka-kontrollen-%C3%B6ver-energipolitiken%E2%80%9D/ar-AARMm14?li=BB13k5Br