Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

There Bias Two posted:

I wonder if this robot to human transfer tech works in reverse? A possible origin for Kat's machine goddess form?

Yeah, Tony's new arm has led me to wonder if the pendulum is going to swing in the opposite direction as the robots get more complete. Once the robots have become human, it is then time for the humans to become the robots and it's already started thanks to Kat making robot stuff for people like the bird and the arm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
lets not forget that Robot has spent his entire life propagating deification of kat, without her knowledge or consent.

it is 100% a cult

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Xand_Man posted:

Oh gently caress they are all wearing tracksuits

This will end well

Tracksuits are ideal for doing squats, eating sunflower seeds, and drinking little water.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder what the Robot King's body will look like.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
The biggest eyebrows.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Basically just Smitty

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

I wonder if this robot to human transfer tech works in reverse? A possible origin for Kat's machine goddess form?

I doubt it, with the way that they keep depicting the process as one of the minds expanding out exponentially to fill their new vastly less limited homes. Plus you grow a soul in the process and become a living being in the universe's administrative processes, which the CPUs don't provide.

There'll probably be some other application of it, development of the tech was what caused the Shadow Men to notice in Arthur and Juliette, I think? And they mention it's based on the forest to human transfer.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I doubt it, with the way that they keep depicting the process as one of the minds expanding out exponentially to fill their new vastly less limited homes. Plus you grow a soul in the process and become a living being in the universe's administrative processes, which the CPUs don't provide.

There'll probably be some other application of it, development of the tech was what caused the Shadow Men to notice in Arthur and Juliette, I think? And they mention it's based on the forest to human transfer.

We've seen humans turn into birds, so there's precedent for the transformation not being a one way street.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, he probably considers it his duty to make sure all other robots are given the choice first.

Also, if there are unforeseen problems in the hardware, it is experienced by …less vital… members of the community first, and can be fixed for later models.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Come to think of it, there's a big elephant in the room they haven't addressed yet. Being alive, with all its joys, means the eventuality of death. It's possible their CPU chip is in there but it seems more like the information is being transferred straight into pure flesh bodies.

And a huge prior focus of the comic has been psychopomps, the ether, and how every living creature needs SOMETHING to take it there or else they'll be stuck. Especially with how these robots don't seem too aware of their own limitations, it's possible one of them might do something stupid like, say, trying to cut off part of their body.

Is it possible Kat will become a psychopomp?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think Kat is a robot god because these robots she made alive will die believing she was a god and they will take that belief with then into the ether when they die. Dead people merging into the ether is what keeps the world spinning after all. So I think as the ether absorbs that truth, it will then reflect it upon the world.

It's non-linear time all the way down.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

It's just a very good question of, "who is going to take these people into the ether". The psychopomps are implied to be based on religious beliefs or locale to some degree (it's hard to say which when they only say "jurisdiction", I interpreted it to be on religious beliefs but I actually don't know what it's based on? And Ketrak covers insects, presumably there are animal-only psychopomps and ones unique to forest creatures). So presumably a robot would need its own thing.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

It's just a very good question of, "who is going to take these people into the ether". The psychopomps are implied to be based on religious beliefs or locale to some degree (it's hard to say which when they only say "jurisdiction", I interpreted it to be on religious beliefs but I actually don't know what it's based on? And Ketrak covers insects, presumably there are animal-only psychopomps and ones unique to forest creatures). So presumably a robot would need its own thing.

it will be future-kat, obviously

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I want to believe that the former robot crushing on Annie was one of the robot guards she got past by wearing a headband and claiming she was a robot.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Anni's new outfit looks cool and plain. :) I like it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I want to believe that the former robot crushing on Annie was one of the robot guards she got past by wearing a headband and claiming she was a robot.

He's Boxbot

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
He did pipes, we know this.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Splicer posted:

He did pipes, we know this.
So he's probably the guy in the bucket in She Gave Us An Ocean.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tupperwarez posted:

So he's probably the guy in the bucket in She Gave Us An Ocean.
Yes! That's why I was sad earlier. He cared so much about the pipes, and now he doesn't even remember them properly. How much of his robot self is left? Not caring so much about pipes is obviously good, but it's been what, a few weeks? And he barely remembers them? That's got some sad implications.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah he's almost certainly this lil dude.

His human bright green eyes are probably to aid in association: all robots have them but they were especially prominent there so his human body having them helps echo back.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Actually, maybe this is the real answer to Annie's family not dying every time they have a kid. Just transfer the consciousness into an artificial body :hmmyes:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The thing that makes them die after having a child is almost certainly spiritual/etheric in nature so I don't think swapping bodies would help.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MikeJF posted:

Yeah he's almost certainly this lil dude.

His human bright green eyes are probably to aid in association: all robots have them but they were especially prominent there so his human body having them helps echo back.

Haha I'm just realizing in hindsight that the Ashray may have gotten into the Court because this guy was busy having an existential awakening instead of watching the water pipes

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I wonder why they're all teenagers

hard enough being a horny robot, now try being a horny human too

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I guess a teenage body is a good compromise between "fully physically capable" and "still learning to be a person, have patience". It does make me wonder if they're going to age into full adults or if they're just stuck like that, though.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Splicer posted:

Yes! That's why I was sad earlier. He cared so much about the pipes, and now he doesn't even remember them properly. How much of his robot self is left? Not caring so much about pipes is obviously good, but it's been what, a few weeks? And he barely remembers them? That's got some sad implications.

Can't you see he's extremely interested in laying pipe right now?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

CJacobs posted:

Haha I'm just realizing in hindsight that the Ashray may have gotten into the Court because this guy was busy having an existential awakening instead of watching the water pipes

Wasn't he already part of the robot wall by then? I wonder if these new people have names.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 10, 2021

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

The thing that makes them die after having a child is almost certainly spiritual/etheric in nature so I don't think swapping bodies would help.

After Annie's merger with herself, I think she could maybe survive having a child now.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ronya posted:

I wonder why they're all teenagers

hard enough being a horny robot, now try being a horny human too

I mean, Kat is a teenager, and making the robot people teens is a very teenagery thing for a teen to do. If Kat were an adult it'd be pretty weird, though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CodfishCartographer posted:

I mean, Kat is a teenager, and making the robot people teens is a very teenagery thing for a teen to do. If Kat were an adult it'd be pretty weird, though.

It would be weird not making them her age. It would be a very weird webcomic to have all these adults worshiping Kat, who is a teenager.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

pik_d posted:

It would be weird not making them her age. It would be a very weird webcomic to have all these adults worshiping Kat, who is a teenager.

To be fair, a teen making a bunch of adults to worship them is also a very teenagery thing to do, but yeah I'm glad the comic didn't do that lmao

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wonder if they can chose what "age" they want.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if they can chose what "age" they want.

Maybe they roll on the random age chart after picking their class?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
We've only seen 4 other NewBot faces and it could be argued they also look young so it's probably "You're all teens to figure out your new bodies. Good luck!"

What would be funny is if their age was based on the complexity of their job. Pipe checker? Book sorter? Teen. Admin bot? Bobby? Adult.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Xand_Man posted:

Oh gently caress they are all wearing tracksuits

This will end well

My first thought was "Am I missing something? I don't see what this has to do with eastern European mafia?" lol

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Twenty Four posted:

My first thought was "Am I missing something? I don't see what this has to do with eastern European mafia?" lol

Can't wait to see all the robots doing a slav squat

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b362WDjTkEs

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

One thing that's kinda interesting is in human mythology, God(s) generally made us in their image.

In Gunnerkrigg, robots were (mostly) made in a crude facsimile of human image, but then given the opportunity to remake themselves in our image.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tiny Myers posted:

Can't wait to see all the robots doing a slav squat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Robots may become attracted to you.