Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

If you haven't specifically set anything, I think it follows your OS settings now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Computer viking posted:

If you haven't specifically set anything, I think it follows your OS settings now?

Weird. And yeah, my Windows is in dark mode (though apps are set to default to light mode).

On Firefox, I do dark mode for some sites (typically forums like SA) but light mode for most others. Now it's just applying a flat dark mode to everything unless I go into the settings for those sites and change it back. Messing with the requisite setting in Firefox itself doesn't appear to do anything.

edit: some light googling and I was able to fix this by going to about:config and setting layout.css.prefers-color-scheme.content-override to 1

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 9, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Are embedded tweets loading really slowly for anyone else?

They load almost instantly in Chrome and Edge, but can take 30 seconds or so in Firefox, even when in safe mode.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Are embedded tweets loading really slowly for anyone else?

They load almost instantly in Chrome and Edge, but can take 30 seconds or so in Firefox, even when in safe mode.

Seeing the same. Firefox with uBlock Origin, nothing else.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Cross-Section posted:

Weird. And yeah, my Windows is in dark mode (though apps are set to default to light mode).

On Firefox, I do dark mode for some sites (typically forums like SA) but light mode for most others. Now it's just applying a flat dark mode to everything unless I go into the settings for those sites and change it back. Messing with the requisite setting in Firefox itself doesn't appear to do anything.

edit: some light googling and I was able to fix this by going to about:config and setting layout.css.prefers-color-scheme.content-override to 1

holeymoley thanks for posting the fix, I don't even have windows set to dark mode and I was having the same problem with firefox overriding my color and theme settings and making everything black on black.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Did Twitter embeds get messed up for anyone else since 95, or is it just Twitter sucking again? When there's a page with just one or two tweets they come through fine, but in a thread with lots of embedded Twiiters like the tweets thread in PYF it takes literally a minute or more for them all to render properly. I have tracking protection turned off for SA and no add-ons.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
I've had that since at least 94.0.2, no idea what's the cause since it also happens on a fresh install with extensions off. Even a single embedded tweet in a page takes a few seconds to load in.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've had it for a while now too and it's only on Firefox. Something's busted.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
One thing I noticed when looking at the Networks tab in the F12 dev tools is that the operations finish instantly, but they are not starting instantly. You'll wait 30 seconds and another batch of network calls will go out and things will load just a little bit more.

So either Firefox is somehow throttling network operations or Twitter's embedding scripts are broken and delaying loads for long periods of time.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It could also be a service worker, since I'm sure twitter does all sorts of modern web app and caching work in the background.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Knormal posted:

Did Twitter embeds get messed up for anyone else since 95, or is it just Twitter sucking again? When there's a page with just one or two tweets they come through fine, but in a thread with lots of embedded Twiiters like the tweets thread in PYF it takes literally a minute or more for them all to render properly. I have tracking protection turned off for SA and no add-ons.

lol I came snooping around here to ask this very thing. In the past it usually meant Firefox's tracking protection was blocking it but that doesn't seem to be the case this time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
FF 94 introduced JS site isolation, and 95 turned on for all sites & users by default. It's a new security system that keeps javascript from different sites contained in separate processes.

I have no idea if this is what's responsible, but it's possible and I think is the major change recently that would qualify. I have twitter embeds disabled so I haven't experienced the problem or have specific suggestions to fix it.

I believe the JS isolation is turned on & off with fission.autostart in about :config if you want to try it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Klyith posted:

I believe the JS isolation is turned on & off with fission.autostart in about :config if you want to try it.

You know what, I think that did it! Thank you.

Edit: Yeah this 100% solved it. Thanks again. I spend a lot of time in threads that like to embed tweets so this was really getting on my nerves.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 13, 2021

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
drat. I really like the idea of the JS isolation thing.

Is it likely to be something that ever gets fixed with the embeds or is it just a function of how they're loaded that will never play nice with that?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

101 posted:

Is it likely to be something that ever gets fixed with the embeds or is it just a function of how they're loaded that will never play nice with that?

Yeah, it's such a cool concept that completely breaks the way the modern internet is built.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Klyith posted:

FF 94 introduced JS site isolation, and 95 turned on for all sites & users by default. It's a new security system that keeps javascript from different sites contained in separate processes.

I have no idea if this is what's responsible, but it's possible and I think is the major change recently that would qualify. I have twitter embeds disabled so I haven't experienced the problem or have specific suggestions to fix it.

Good catch, thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

101 posted:

I would guess that it could be improved on firefox's end, but will always make loading lots of twitter embeds slow.

I think a fair amount of blame can be laid on the fact that twitter loads like 10 MB of javascript and garbage to show a 140 character message. If the way site isolation works is that each embedded tweet gets its own process to run all that garbage, than it is doomed to suck forever on the average cspam page with 100 tweets.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Klyith posted:

I would guess that it could be improved on firefox's end

Here's hoping

Klyith posted:

I think a fair amount of blame can be laid on the fact that twitter loads like 10 MB of javascript and garbage to show a 140 character message. If the way site isolation works is that each embedded tweet gets its own process to run all that garbage, than it is doomed to suck forever on the average cspam page with 100 tweets.

Yeah I had to work on showing in Twitter embeds within my companies iOS app and it took so long just to make them function correctly and they still load like poo poo

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I love the alt text from the article about the feature:

quote:

Two hand-drawn diagrams, with the first labeled “Without Site Isolation, we might load both of these sites in the same process :( ”. Two browser windows with partially visible sites “attacker.com” and “my-bank” partial site, are loaded in the same process - process 16. On top of the banking window, there is a cartoon face that looks happy, personifying the browser. The attacker site window contains a face that is looking at the banking window, with a mischievous smile. In the second diagram, labeled “Attacker.com executes a sophisticated attack”, we see the same two browser windows loaded in process 16 and a 1 column table labelled “memory where my-bank’s data is stored in process 16” underneath the banking window. It has two entries: “credit card info” and “login password”. A hand extending from the malicious site reaches toward the table (aka memory of the second window), signifying that the malicious site is able to access sensitive data belonging to the banking window because it is in the same process. The personified browser character is looking towards the malicious site, and exhibits feelings of concern and worry, with exclamation marks floating around the face.

quote:

Two hand-drawn diagrams, with the first labeled “With Site Isolation, we will load these sites in different processes”. It shows two browser windows, one https://www.attacker.com , loaded in process 5, and https://www.my-bank.com loaded in process 16. On top of the banking window, there is a cartoon face that looks happy, personifying the browser. In contrast, the webpage area of the https://www.attacker.com window, contains a face that is looking at the banking window, with a mischievous smile. In the second diagram, labeled “Attacker.com tries to execute a sophisticated attack”, we see the same two browser windows. There is a 1 column table labelled “memory where my-bank’s data is stored in process 16” underneath the banking window . It has two entries: “credit card info” and “login password”. A hand extending from the malicious site tries to reach towards the table (aka memory of the banking window), but is unable to reach it, due to the process boundary. The face of the malicious site is frowning and looks unhappy, while the face, representing the browser, continues to look happy and carefree. The second window’s data is safe from the malicious site.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Klyith posted:

Yep, that did the trick. Thanks heaps.

Klyith posted:

I would guess that it could be improved on firefox's end, but will always make loading lots of twitter embeds slow.

So what we really need is a way to get around how Twitter embeds all its garbage and just have something where only the text/images gets displayed.

I mean, how hard could that be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k-wj7_etfU

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 14, 2021

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Says the guy who has to link a Youtube video.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So just checking, there's no way to revert back to the old Firefox theme if I'm up to date right? I switched to Vivaldi a few months back because I didn't like the current look, but now Vivaldi's giving me some problems with a couple of sites I use regularly so I'm back on Firefox atm.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Artelier posted:

So just checking, there's no way to revert back to the old Firefox theme if I'm up to date right? I switched to Vivaldi a few months back because I didn't like the current look, but now Vivaldi's giving me some problems with a couple of sites I use regularly so I'm back on Firefox atm.

Which theme are you talking about? Photon, with the square tabs and the dark background color?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My bad, I should have been more specific, and I used the wrong terminology too! I didn't mean theme, I meant...general look, pre-Proton.

Only things left that aren't to my liking are the bright/garish highlight border around Current Tab, and the wide scrollbar. If I can do something about either of these that would be great!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The best theme is "rainbow blur", I'd give that a try and see if it solves your problems.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Artelier posted:

My bad, I should have been more specific, and I used the wrong terminology too! I didn't mean theme, I meant...general look, pre-Proton.

Only things left that aren't to my liking are the bright/garish highlight border around Current Tab, and the wide scrollbar. If I can do something about either of these that would be great!

Changing anything like that will require you to mess with userChrome.css. If you wanted to go back to something like the Photon era, with square tabs and everything, you can use my current configuration.

1. Enable userChrome.css
2. Install the Photon Colors base theme.
3. Use the following userChrome.css: https://pastebin.com/mdvZZzNF

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Klyith posted:

Hm, I like the security so I guess I'll put up with slow Twitter. Thanks for the info.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Knormal posted:

Hm, I like the security so I guess I'll put up with slow Twitter. Thanks for the info.

I submitted a bug report for it so if you want to follow it, check here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1745869

Currently P1 S2, so maybe it'll get fixed for version 97. Unless it lingers for years like every other bug with "Twitter" in the name.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Nalin posted:

I submitted a bug report for it so if you want to follow it, check here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1745869

Currently P1 S2, so maybe it'll get fixed for version 97. Unless it lingers for years like every other bug with "Twitter" in the name.

Well, that's been quick. Mozilla has already identified the problem and are working on a patch. I don't have any clue when it will land, though, so until then, you can use this Stylus patch to work around the issue:

code:
[id^="twitter-widget-"] {
    visibility: visible !important;
    display: initial !important;
    min-width: 1px;
    min-height: 1px;
}
Just make it a style for everything.

The problem is that hidden iframes get throttled. Twitter is hiding its iframe until it fully loads, upon which it tells the main page to make it visible. So, the temporary workaround is to force the Twitter iframe to be visible. This prevents the throttling.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Got rid of my 2nd monitor, and I've been using Firefox's Picture in Picture for watching junk while browsing. It's pretty good except for when I need to access something underneath the picture. Is there any way to make the PIP screen transparent or auto-hide on mouseover?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

Got rid of my 2nd monitor, and I've been using Firefox's Picture in Picture for watching junk while browsing. It's pretty good except for when I need to access something underneath the picture. Is there any way to make the PIP screen transparent or auto-hide on mouseover?

You can move it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Oh yeah, I know you can move it. It'd just be nice if it could quickly go transparent to read or click something underneath the video rather than repositioning, clicking, moving it back, etc. You used to be able to setup something similar in VLC.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This isn't meant as a criticism, even though it may come off as such - please feel free to assume that's because I'm bad at formulating.

I cannot understand why people think it's a good idea to have the generic idea of a web-browser try to also be good at displaying video. It simply doesn't make any sense to me.
Even if any particular implementation of a browser might implement it as a software library rather than trying to badly reinvent what is already a solved problem (note that no browser does this; at best, libavcodec - which is the library made by the ffmpeg folks to work with the ffmpeg program - is only used to decode the video, and the actual displaying is still left as part of the DOM/viewport/rendering engine), there's still the fundamental problem of it ending up bloating the codebase which might not by itself mean much but when it's combined with all the other things the browser needs to integrate via libraries, end up slowing execution because the browser also ends up needing to re-implement things that're part of the OS itself, such as threading, scheduling, and all that other fun stuff that almost nobody understands and which people spend decades learning about systems programming in order to do properly.

Also, I'm not intending to call people out over wanting this - it's fine if you do, I just want to yell into the void about it sometimes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lester Shy posted:

Oh yeah, I know you can move it. It'd just be nice if it could quickly go transparent to read or click something underneath the video rather than repositioning, clicking, moving it back, etc. You used to be able to setup something similar in VLC.

I don't think extensions can do this kind of thing anymore, but you can with a separate app. Transparency & click-through are features that can be applied to any window (on Windows), and they can be applied via a different program.

There are apps that can do that to arbitrary other windows, here are two that I can't vouch for but are high of google: peek through, windowtop. If I wanted to do this myself I'd whip up a script with autohotkey.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

This isn't meant as a criticism, even though it may come off as such - please feel free to assume that's because I'm bad at formulating.

I cannot understand why people think it's a good idea to have the generic idea of a web-browser try to also be good at displaying video. It simply doesn't make any sense to me.
Even if any particular implementation of a browser might implement it as a software library rather than trying to badly reinvent what is already a solved problem (note that no browser does this; at best, libavcodec - which is the library made by the ffmpeg folks to work with the ffmpeg program - is only used to decode the video, and the actual displaying is still left as part of the DOM/viewport/rendering engine), there's still the fundamental problem of it ending up bloating the codebase which might not by itself mean much but when it's combined with all the other things the browser needs to integrate via libraries, end up slowing execution because the browser also ends up needing to re-implement things that're part of the OS itself, such as threading, scheduling, and all that other fun stuff that almost nobody understands and which people spend decades learning about systems programming in order to do properly.

Also, I'm not intending to call people out over wanting this - it's fine if you do, I just want to yell into the void about it sometimes.

Most people aren't career programmers and just want convenient features.

I imagine there's an auto designer out there ranting about why people can't just be happy with a temperature knob and a radio tuner knob in order to reduce complexity.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

Most people aren't career programmers and just want convenient features.

I imagine there's an auto designer out there ranting about why people can't just be happy with a temperature knob and a radio tuner knob in order to reduce complexity.
I'm not a career programmer either, I'm a net- and occational sys-admin.

This isn't about reducing complexity, though.
:iiaca::
The equivalent of the browser implementing video playback, scheduling and threading, and all the other things is if you have something like the BMV iDrive, where it's not just the more advanced controls that need to be accessed through the knob, it's every single control including driving the actual car.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Browser media playback is useful because people access streams through the browser, and they expect it to 'just work' out of the box without additional installation. Kicking streams into a separate app is possible but creates a separation in the UI flow, and makes a cohesive experience difficult. How are you going to set up a YouTube style playlist feature? Or a synchronized chat?

Physical knobs in a car is an apple and oranges comparison because knobs are safer (don't have to take your eyes off the road to make adjustments). The single screen is cheaper for the manufacturer though.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Klyith posted:

oh god thank you for this I was about to post in the tech support hause because I could not figure out what was going on

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

McCracAttack posted:

You know what, I think that did it! Thank you.

Edit: Yeah this 100% solved it. Thanks again. I spend a lot of time in threads that like to embed tweets so this was really getting on my nerves.
seconding thank you for this, I got directed here by PYF Tweets and wow you're a lifesaver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

video is a significant part of the rich web experience, ie youtube