Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I pressed your copeseku point - there's no use in fighting, you're already succ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
On another note; I saw this, I shall inflict it upon you too

https://twitter.com/EricDrobile/status/1469450341208891393

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Forceholy posted:

The n-word episode, I guess. Even if it was just an excuse for Trey to say it.

The Lord of the Rings parody still holds up and the games are good time wasters.

Is that the same one that said Hate Crimes aren't real as pushed by the father character of the character literally called Token Black

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Good soup! posted:

I pressed your copeseku point - there's no use in fighting, you're already succ

lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

edit ugh don't make me defend sorkin but the radio voiceover combined with the later scene itself just makes the news people look like a bunch of buffoons more concerned with ad time than anything else. all the scenes from newsroom i've ever seen are terrible and this one doesn't seem that bad

i don't think this is true. he's shown as stuffy but again the beginning voiceover is setting the tone

i think the actor being toby from the office muddles the impression because that particular character has the schtick of being treated as monstrously offensive for the crime of being stuffy and its kind of hard to unsee that with a role this similar

im still not sure whether michael scott is supposed to be a buffoon or a goofy hero since despite the text seeming to make him the former the later seasons especially appear to work under the presumption that hes a sympathetic character

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I saw roughly half the US run of the office and never got the love for michael. he's a monster and not in a funny way like selina meyer

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I feel the same way about Walter in Breaking Bad. I came to the show a bit late (started watching while the second-to-last season was airing) and he was clearly a colossal douchebag right from the first episode. Less of an outright monster than he'd become, but the journey was more about banal selfishness turning into outright evil than a Good Man being corrupted by Bad Decisions.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Turns out he was not evil enough for biotech ceo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I feel the same way about Walter in Breaking Bad. I came to the show a bit late (started watching while the second-to-last season was airing) and he was clearly a colossal douchebag right from the first episode. Less of an outright monster than he'd become, but the journey was more about banal selfishness turning into outright evil than a Good Man being corrupted by Bad Decisions.

I did see BB from the beginning and the discourse was just awful, all the "that bitch Skylar is ruining walt's fun!" posts were 100% real

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
A lot of people having mid-life crisis’ self inserted as Walter White because it gave them the fantasy of “Yeah I could totally leave my dead end job and become a crime lord who makes awesome meth hand grenades”. It’s not necessarily that they don’t understand that meth dealing=bad, but that they loved the whole fantasy of “If I just let go of my inhibitions I could do exciting things”. Walter even basically explains this in the finale, where he says “Yeah I realized it was wrong, but I was successful and competent at it and that feels amazing”.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I did see BB from the beginning and the discourse was just awful, all the "that bitch Skylar is ruining walt's fun!" posts were 100% real

part of the reason that verhoeven video about how gamers refusing to accept sexist critiques of grand theft auto v was ruining the acceptance of video games as art form gave me such a wtf reaction was just dude were you around for breaking bad discourse because you could make the exact same drat criticisms of that show and no one has ever said that tv shows cant be art because the fans are sexist

in general theres a lot of reasons why games arent talked up as art the way they were seven years ago but as far as i can tell this is one of the few things about video game culture discourse that people dont blame on gamergate despite this being one of the few things you could actually logically blame on gamergate

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
scott's tots is the worst episode of the office and might be one of the worst episodes of television overall

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
breaking bad was hardcore overrated but there was never a moment where walter white could be considered a good person. He's so relentlessly lovely that it makes the show hard to watch. Jesse was the only character that was even written somewhat realistically

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i have kind of a dumb question would a zombie apocalypse cause bitcoin to crash i asked because this just happened in a tv show i was watching and im not sure that would actually happen because i was under the impression that even compared to other investments bitcoin isnt tied to any actual material conditions

it seems like if anything a zombie apocalypse would increase bitcoin value since energy restrictions would make them harder to mind but its kind of a hosed hypothetical in general because the setting isnt really zombie apocalypse as much as it is teetering on the edge of zombie apocalypse but never quite getting there

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

people think of bitcoin similarly to gold where it'll be useful in catastrophic situations but what people actually do is liquidate their assets to get essentials. you'll be paying 1btc for a roll of toilet paper

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ahhh that actually makes a lot of sense because the characters in question have been shut off the internet for a couple of weeks but only because theyre under quarantine its pretty clearly implied that people still have it outside of quarantine and could still use it for transactions wed also seen characters start charging comically high prices for food and water but only because one character was being kind of an idiot and waving huge amounts of cash around to try and get them to do dangerous errands earlier on

this is the kind of show where its hard to tell whether or not they actually thought the hypotheticals through because a third of the time they make sense a third of the time they dont and a third of the time theres not enough information to tell

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Casey Finnigan posted:

breaking bad was hardcore overrated but there was never a moment where walter white could be considered a good person. He's so relentlessly lovely that it makes the show hard to watch. Jesse was the only character that was even written somewhat realistically
i would mostly only say it became overrated in retrospect or pretty much well into it's life.

it was a good show when it first started on amc in 2007 when there wasn't a whole lot on and it was fun to catch it every week live. but yes, walter white was fairly clearly not a Good Moral Person right away; however, the first episode has a lot of class-sympathy and other atomization arising out of the nuclear family meant to invoke a sense of dead inside, counting down the days unchanging, stagnant. stickin' together for da kids and all that. like getting a quarter-hearted handjob on his birthday is there to show some sympathy for him feeling disgruntled with his life, ontop of having poo poo pay as a teacher, feeling hosed out of mega biotech bux (which is later more clearly shown because he's a self-absorbed narcisstic) by business partner, etc. so it sets up an initial show of a man feeling oppressed, and wronged, and in a state of midlife crisis, and here faced with his imminent mortality decides to Do Something -- radical emancipation.

however, that quickly fades away the oil painting revealing the real dorian grey and by the time he kills the first dude in cold blood it's pretty obviously he's very lovely and that most of his failings in his past life are all of his own making.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Crypto, being an entirely phantasmal electronic “asset” will literally cease to exist in any kind of zombie or similar civilization collapse. No one’s going to be maintaining the power grid, much less the internet or the bitcoin wallet servers, during the apocalypse. And good luck expecting megaton or bartertown to have the equipment to even perform a crypto transaction. Even gold doesn’t literally fade away without complicated infrastructure to maintain it.
Then we get to the whole thing where in doomsday scenarios people fall back on barter for things they actually need to live. No one who needs food before sundown will take your word that your electronic money that no longer exists and he can’t actually hand you can totally be used to buy food miles away over the horizon after a harrowing journey being hunted by the zombies.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

an ongoing theme of the show in question is characters being in denial about just how bad the situation is and jockeying for petty homeowner association power under the presumption that the crisis will eventually be resolved

like yeah obviously i wouldnt trust crypto to be worthy anything if the world is ending in a week but were talking about characters who use bottled water to wash their hair because theyre assuming quarantine is going to lift on the day originally promised and everything will be back to normal despite their not actually having any contact with the outside world

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah without a global or at least superregional power grid and the internet there is no bitcoin, as in there’s no way to actually verify its existence which is the foundation of blockchain “technology”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

an ongoing theme of the show in question is characters being in denial about just how bad the situation is and jockeying for petty homeowner association power under the presumption that the crisis will eventually be resolved

like yeah obviously i wouldnt trust crypto to be worthy anything if the world is ending in a week but were talking about characters who use bottled water to wash their hair because theyre assuming quarantine is going to lift on the day originally promised and everything will be back to normal despite their not actually having any contact with the outside world

if you don’t have a computer that can download the latest blockchain and verify the previous six transactions (compared against, being insanely generous, even two other copies) there’s no way to tell if this dude’s bits are real, that he has access to them, that they aren’t on a fork, that the transaction won’t be orphaned, etc etc.

you need multiple copies of the ~100gb blockchain that are being regularly updated/pruned of orphans/verified to even “prove” that bitcoins exist at all let alone any of the other stuff that needs to be done to transact them

this doesn’t even get into the frisbee on the roof scenario that would result from a significant portion of the internet/power grid going down, which would render the remaining network virtually unusable

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
correct, bitcoin doesn't exist in an apocalypse.

however, to take that further i would say that all currency, at least ones that are currently issued now or in the near future, would also be worthless because having jeff bezos come to bartertown to give you a billion of his 300 billion bucks for a working tank doesn't make sense in a scarcity world where finance capital has collapsed. money is worthless if that's all anyone can give you without getting anything meaningful back. it'll return to a barter system or some form of a commonly useful barter item-as-currency. like even in most mmo-type games all the default gold is absolutely worthless for any sort of meaningful trade for obvious reasons the same as it would be in real life scarcity-collapse

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah that’s why if you want to be a prepper you should stock up on 9mm and 5.56 even if you don’t have guns

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in the exact context of the show this is like the last episode where some characters have been plotting to steal another characters bitcoins for awhile and the internet coming back is like the second to last step with the final one being to steal his computer they trust that the bitcoins still exist because the internet itself didnt disappear over the last couple of weeks just their access to it

while this is true the layered number of stupid assumptions required for the characters to think this should be any kind of priority is the main social commentary its a weird setting in that the world as we know it never actually collapses it just gets badly hamstrung by the difficulty of dealing with the crisis

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

i have kind of a dumb question would a zombie apocalypse cause bitcoin to crash i asked because this just happened in a tv show i was watching and im not sure that would actually happen because i was under the impression that even compared to other investments bitcoin isnt tied to any actual material conditions

it seems like if anything a zombie apocalypse would increase bitcoin value since energy restrictions would make them harder to mind but its kind of a hosed hypothetical in general because the setting isnt really zombie apocalypse as much as it is teetering on the edge of zombie apocalypse but never quite getting there

it isn't a show or a movie, but there is a tabletop rpg called "red markets" which is about a zombie apocalypse that fucks up the world but is mostly contained (in the united states) to west of the mississippi river (called the "loss"). the government, after nuking canada to cover the northern border, declares everyone west of the river dead and basically says that anything belonging to a dead person is up for grabs, creating a carrion economy of people who grab poo poo and sell it to people back east. these people are not legally recognized as people and for the most part their currency is "bounty": drivers licenses, death certificates, social security cards, anything that belonged to a person who is most likely a zombie now. bounty can be traded to officials in the united states for a payout, which takes the form of ration cards that can be used to purchase poo poo and get it smuggled across the river, or in cryptocurrency which now serves as a means of exchange across the border that is easier to use and can be used to buy things that aren't food and bullets. its a pretty interesting setting and game because the entire thing is based on economics and every job you take is about tracking your expenditure of materiel and resources. the gm is literally called "the market"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

in the exact context of the show this is like the last episode where some characters have been plotting to steal another characters bitcoins for awhile and the internet coming back is like the second to last step with the final one being to steal his computer they trust that the bitcoins still exist because the internet itself didnt disappear over the last couple of weeks just their access to it

while this is true the layered number of stupid assumptions required for the characters to think this should be any kind of priority is the main social commentary its a weird setting in that the world as we know it never actually collapses it just gets badly hamstrung by the difficulty of dealing with the crisis

they don’t need the internet to be on to steal his bitcoins if they know they’re in a wallet on his computer. just get the computer, then you have the bitcoins. the internet coming back is completely incidental to the heist

e: in this situation it’s like stealing someone’s credit card during a blackout. you may not be able to use it yet but you can still get it in your possession

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

have the zombies gotten to the Fed's money printer

also what show is this

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

they don’t need the internet to be on to steal his bitcoins if they know they’re in a wallet on his computer. just get the computer, then you have the bitcoins. the internet coming back is completely incidental to the heist

e: in this situation it’s like stealing someone’s credit card during a blackout. you may not be able to use it yet but you can still get it in your possession

the internet coming back on is presented as the big lynchpin to the plan i think because they only realize that bitcoin has crashed when they log into his account which they need it to sell the bitcoin whether the writer actually knows how cryptocurrency works is ambiguous they have to get some kind of key code that was tattooed on the guys body to get the bitcoin and its never clearly explained what this was or why they needed it

Atrocious Joe posted:

have the zombies gotten to the Fed's money printer

also what show is this

happiness its a korean drama that just ended and i should iterate this entire bitcoin thing only came up in like the last two episodes the main reason i asked is because its presented with very little contextual information in the story itself

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

the internet coming back on is presented as the big lynchpin to the plan i think because they only realize that bitcoin has crashed when they log into his account which they need it to sell the bitcoin whether the writer actually knows how cryptocurrency works is ambiguous they have to get some kind of key code that was tattooed on the guys body to get the bitcoin and its never clearly explained what this was or why they needed it

lmao this is like tattooing your SSN city of birth and mothers maiden name on your forearm

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On another note; I saw this, I shall inflict it upon you too

https://twitter.com/EricDrobile/status/1469450341208891393

XCOM 2 opened a door that cannot be closed

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Prisoners of Ghostland is a Frogtown rear end movie.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

lmao this is like tattooing your SSN city of birth and mothers maiden name on your forearm

memento but it's about NFTs. "you can't copy this polaroid. it's unique!"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1470246531131326467

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im probably going to regret asking this but who or what is licorice pizza

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

im probably going to regret asking this but who or what is licorice pizza

new paul thomas anderson movie

people are mad at it already because of the age difference between the two leads and because it depicts racism

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I'd rather shoot myself, actually

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is it really about a 25 year old and a 15 year old

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

yes and it's always portrayed as a weird thing, that's the entire point. Like, the movie sucks rear end but it's not some crypto pedo/racist movie, it's quite clear there!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Serf posted:

new paul thomas anderson movie

people are mad at it already because of the age difference between the two leads and because it depicts racism

Lmfao people are melting down over that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Forget it, it's Hollywood

sexpig by night posted:

yes and it's always portrayed as a weird thing, that's the entire point. Like, the movie sucks rear end but it's not some crypto pedo/racist movie, it's quite clear there!

only because the junior one is a guy