Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cold on a Cob posted:

meanwhile, here's what's being reported in my province now. they've done a 180 thankfully, now i can tell my boss there's no loving way i'm going to the office until i get boosted

Ontario reports more than 1,500 new COVID-19 cases; seven-day rolling average surpasses 1,300

lol doubling in 6 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Zeroisanumber posted:

I just kinda want them to die.

Good news

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Zeroisanumber posted:

I keep trying to fight the bitterness that's set in after these last couple years. I've given up a lot to protect myself and the other regular jerks in my community. Now I look around and the same number of people are choking to death and the hospitals are close to collapsing but people are just ignoring it.

I just kinda want them to die.

I didn't think I would ever in my life get used to death but here I am

mystes
May 31, 2006

Spoondick posted:

oster and ghandi first and foremost want to get influence and paid for being "rational" contrarians, but they maybe also see the eugenic outcomes of the policies they're advocating as an additional benefit
The vibe I get from Gandhi is more that she may just be broadcasting this stuff to the world as a way to convince herself it's true

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol doubling in 6 days

that was with delta mixed in

quote:

Ontario's Science Advisory Table released new data Monday confirming that the effective reproductive (RT) number for Omicron in Ontario is 3.32, meaning that every 100 new Omicron cases will go on to generate 332 secondary infections. All other variants of the virus combined have an RT value of 1.27.

The table also estimates about 20 per cent of all new cases Monday were Omicron, based on the number of positive samples that no longer show a mutation present in the Delta variant which was until recently found in virtually all positive cases in the province.

The doubling time for Omicron in Ontario is now projected to be every three days.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Stereotype posted:

remember: if you don't aggressively advocate for zero covid you are a sociopathic denialist child murderer and the blood of millions is on your hands and you belong in prison

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

My kid will not go inside any place without a mask on. He asks for one, even if someone else is taking him to school and forgets about it. He wears it all the time, every single day. I have to remind him to take it off inside the house because he forgets its on.

In terms of impact-to-childrens-lives its literally zero. Its as consequential as wearing shoes.

e: hes 5

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Platystemon posted:

I wasn’t going to post this, but if you all are going to give me psychic damage from the MFF tweets, I’m striking back.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1349392543818125312

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Crazypoops posted:

Little loving imps whispering that it's actually okay to stop protecting vulnerable people and actually what if we just killed them and actually let's collect them all and kill them

Yeah. It's right up to the edge of just openly saying that we can't let society's weaker members hold back the young and strong. It's extremely gross and they manage to tiptoe that line so carefully that it's hard to believe they don't know what they're saying.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Acelerion posted:

My kid will not go inside any place without a mask on. He asks for one, even if someone else is taking him to school and forgets about it. He wears it all the time, every single day. I have to remind him to take it off inside the house because he forgets its on.

In terms of impact-to-childrens-lives its literally zero. Its as consequential as wearing shoes.

since the Max Titers post went viral there's a docent chance this is gonna get screenshotted and shared on twitter as proof that this thread abuses kids

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

mystes posted:

The vibe I get from Gandhi is more that she may just be broadcasting this stuff to the world as a way to convince herself it's true

Actually that’s not a vibe but a coping mechanism. Just like David Icke you cannot comprehend the evil of the world so its lizard people. But for you its the lizard brain of the morons giving them affirmation dopamine for their terribad opinions.

You have too much empathy, I prescribe apathy enlarging pills that will expand your apathy levels to a state acceptable by the board of Apathy.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what did the uk do

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Vinja Ninja posted:

Actually that’s not a vibe but a coping mechanism. Just like David Icke you cannot comprehend the evil of the world so its lizard people. But for you its the lizard brain of the morons giving them affirmation dopamine for their terribad opinions.

You have too much empathy, I prescribe apathy enlarging pills that will expand your apathy levels to a state acceptable by the board of Apathy.
I'll make an apathy booster appointment at once

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what did the uk do

The College frat boy president who never did anything to get elected and is a absolute moron said that Omicron probably isnt mild and did not stay with the script set forth by the English Media Empire that is backed by the Five Eyes.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

who are the pro-lockdown scientists outside of China
https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1470377597003567112?s=20

mystes
May 31, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

who are the pro-lockdown scientists outside of China
Wait someone has to exist before you can attack them?

I guess I'll have to check the return policy on all this straw I bought.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

what did the uk do

To deserve this? The empire

To handle covid? Not enough, clearly

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Acelerion posted:

Honestly I hate pants more then masks and my child self still agrees

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Acelerion posted:

That's adorable and I'm glad he's doing well.
Are they regular masks, or did you get him cool designs or something? Since yeah.

Like the biggest issue with child masking is just the discipline to wear it right and also IMO I can easily see - and again a reason why schools need to be shut - trading. Kid A has a Spider-Man mask, kid B has Batman, and hey, turns out Kid A's parents guessed their child's choice in superheroes wrong and they actually prefer Batman. "Hey, cool Batman mask! Wanna trade?"

I find it difficult to believe most children would not want to wear masks, but I also find it difficult to believe most children are capable, even if they mean well, of wearing a mask *properly* for ~8 hours without constant supervision.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I’m pro mask mandate and pro vaccine mandate. I’m even fine with timing the mask mandate to a certain level of community spread as long as everyone agrees it comes back immediately if we go back over that level. So basically that’s the same thing as me thinking everyone should be welded inside of their houses forever, as far as liberals and chums are concerned.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

mystes posted:

Wait someone has to exist before you can attack them?

I guess I'll have to check the return policy on all this straw I bought.

I’m so disappointed in the shadow people in the wheel of time, they didn't make them shadows dancing at the corners of his eyes speaking truths beyond truths.

Instead we got wisps of thread unspun from the fabric of reality, that were combined with the crazy darkness of the dark one, they literally made the apparitions CGI Strawmen, literal strawmen instead of shadow people!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FOX13News/status/1470442158540922889?s=20

reveal urself

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

I’m pro mask mandate and pro vaccine mandate. I’m even fine with timing the mask mandate to a certain level of community spread as long as everyone agrees it comes back immediately if we go back over that level. So basically that’s the same thing as me thinking everyone should be welded inside of their houses forever, as far as liberals and chums are concerned.

:same:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
As an ugly child wearing a mask with, idk, spider man on it would have done wonders for my social life.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Acelerion posted:

I find many people saying it’s harming children to wear a mask are full of it. You wear underwear for hygiene, you wear a face mask for hygiene, and it’s really not a big deal.

It’s only a big issue to people in denial.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the three people i know with children have had no problems getting their kids to wear masks all the time

the parents wearing masks themselves and not making a big deal of it, you know, that probably helps just a little. instead of them being shrieking maniacs

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

the three people i know with children have had no problems getting their kids to wear masks all the time

the parents wearing masks themselves and not making a big deal of it, you know, that probably helps just a little. instead of them being shrieking maniacs

But you can't make the point that masks are bad I'd you're not a shrieking maniac!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Acelerion posted:

When I bang my pots and pans at night its for kids like this, I'm with them

Goreld posted:

You wear underwear for hygiene, you wear a face mask for hygiene, and it’s really not a big deal.

gently caress this is going to be like when the thread talked about drinking water, or washing hands and found out how many people don't do it

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

dude's blood has got to be like molasses by now

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like the biggest issue with child masking is just the discipline to wear it right and also IMO I can easily see - and again a reason why schools need to be shut - trading. Kid A has a Spider-Man mask, kid B has Batman, and hey, turns out Kid A's parents guessed their child's choice in superheroes wrong and they actually prefer Batman. "Hey, cool Batman mask! Wanna trade?"

I find it difficult to believe most children would not want to wear masks, but I also find it difficult to believe most children are capable, even if they mean well, of wearing a mask *properly* for ~8 hours without constant supervision.

it depends on tons of factors

with the right kn94 mask, it just loving hurts to wear it wrong.

if the teacher is constantly pulling down their mask to talk, the kids will absolutely get in the habit of it too.

then of course kids are constantly pulling down their masks for drinks (everyone still gets their own water bottle at their desk!), snacks and lunch

and that's all with a mask mandate in place. when it's optional, masks nearly entirely disappear in at most 1 week (from what local teacher friends have said about last year)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Are they regular masks, or did you get him cool designs or something? Since yeah.

my province has a mask mandate for schools and this has never been a problem, they always come home with the same mask, and they always are wearing it properly at the end of the day (one time my daughter came home with a school provided mask because hers got overly damp). I've never had to babysit their mask wearing pretty much at all (my kids are 5 and 8), and they'll tell me if the mask is too loose or tight or something.

Same thing too that my kids will wear masks in the car on the way home without thinking twice about it, or sometimes keep them on because they're comfortable when we're walking outside and there's no one around. Anyone not caught up in culture war bullshit doesn't give a poo poo about masks.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Serf posted:

marx made the observation that the rich are just as trapped by capitalism as the poor. the bourgeoisie are in constant competition within the bounds of their class interests and if one chooses not to make the evil decision that will maximize profits a different one will and devour the other. they must always hurt others to grow larger. and largely the arrangement of capitalism benefits them so there is no pressure to change. therefore change can only come from below, the oppressed masses, the proletariat. we have to overthrow the bourgeoisie not just for ourselves but for them as well

:hai:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Re the T-cell response, Morbus made this great point:

Morbus posted:

The fact that the virus has gone absolutely ham on antibody escape mutations while giving close to zero fucks about t-cell epitopes should probably tell us something about the relative importance of t-cell mediated immunity

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.06.471446v1

The virus isn't evolving T-cell evasion (so far) because presumably T-cell performance has little impact on viral fitness. T-cells might only suppress an infection long enough for antibody production to spin-up, but this has little impact on preventing the virus from infecting other people. There doesn't seem to be much selection pressure for T-cell evasion, and that's not exactly good news. Maybe it helps keep people out of the hospital, but given what we know it doesn't necessarily help prevent long-term impacts or disability.

Also:

Morbus posted:

The good news is we now have a pretty clear answer as to whether or not boosting a several months old 2x mRNA baseline with another mRNA shot is similar to the convalescent then vaccinated "superimmunity" that was seen back in the original paper with PMS20--it is

The bad news is, to the extent that this qualitative improvement is due to affinity maturation and not just higher titers following a boost (which seems to be the case), then our next several months of suck 'n gently caress are basically challenging the virus to evolve towards ever stronger spike->ACE2 affinity. And to summarize how that will go:
This seems to be the first clear evidence that vaccinated + booster and NO prior infection results in more robust antibody immunity? At the very least this is positive, been wondering since US Thanksgiving whether this new variant might have a single-digit chance of killing me. But as you say who knows how long even these antibodies remain effective in the face of constant selection pressure for evasion.

Also still doesn't help kids just getting their shots now, as presumably they'll need X number of months for affinity maturation to develop half-useful antibodies AND a booster to induce sufficient production. It's almost like we should have fast-tracked pediatric vaccines in the summer when it became incontrovertible that new variants would be an ongoing problem and limiting community spread was off the table. Of course there's only so many ways to state the obvious that US society doesn't really care whether kids get wrecked by the pandemic or not, so fast-tracking the pediatric vaccine EUA (even more) was never an option.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

i’m not reading a 33 part Twitter thread. I’ll still read dozens and dozens of pages of this thread a week tho

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 13, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My local news: 1 out of every 100 senior Americans has died from covid

Also my local news on the next story right after that: nursing home visited by miniature ponies! *nobody is wearing a mask including the young people handling the horses*

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

we found some kn 95s that are space themed. We have now switched up to a holiday inspired set

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

since the Max Titers post went viral

somebody fill me in please im foolosh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

i’m not reading at 33 part Twitter thread. I’ll still read dozens and dozens of pages of this thread a week tho
It's less bad if you use a site that combines all the tweets: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1470377591035113488.html