Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DumbparameciuM posted:

Thanks thread, Moondrops for my basic bitch self it is :)

I just threw out a review which is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0niCEX3AEJI

TLDR: Either rock power or find something else. Having said that, $1000 bux levels of detail but slightly unrefined and for myself, really too much treble overall, so it's a pass. Still if you are a medium to low volume listener this set really might make your juices flow. There is zero isolation so there is that. I'd call its overall tonality warm lows, and analytical mids and treble (but rather musical..) either way. Not bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I think after wearing the cans for a while I actually want in ear headphones, especially for bed / tablet watching.

I'm looking at the

Moondrop Kaito
Moondrop Aria
Tanchjim Hana
Fiio FH5
Fiio FH3

The ER2XR, Aria, and FH3, are nice from a price point, and I'd get one of them if the higher priced ones don't run well off a phone or just my USBC-3 to Aux adapter.

On both devices I could get the Meze-99s loud enough to alllmost hurt my ears (definitely on Desktop,) and I ended up listening to it juuuust a smidge under that.

I'm still not sure what I'm looking for, but I really liked the Meze-99s though I did end up using Voicemeeter to bump the bass a little bit.

e: Also the AKG N400, but that's bluetooth which has never sounded good.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 6, 2021

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

redeyes posted:

I just threw out a review which is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0niCEX3AEJI

TLDR: Either rock power or find something else. Having said that, $1000 bux levels of detail but slightly unrefined and for myself, really too much treble overall, so it's a pass. Still if you are a medium to low volume listener this set really might make your juices flow. There is zero isolation so there is that. I'd call its overall tonality warm lows, and analytical mids and treble (but rather musical..) either way. Not bad at all.

Thanks! Super useful points, the fact that they don't really isolate really stood out to me so I'm deffo out.

Subbed, btw.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DumbparameciuM posted:

Thanks! Super useful points, the fact that they don't really isolate really stood out to me so I'm deffo out.

Subbed, btw.

Thanks! That review generated some super haters. Oh well. It's not a bad set, just not for me.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boba Pearl posted:

I think after wearing the cans for a while I actually want in ear headphones, especially for bed / tablet watching.

I'm looking at the

Moondrop Kaito
Moondrop Aria
Tanchjim Hana
Fiio FH5
Fiio FH3

The ER2XR, Aria, and FH3, are nice from a price point, and I'd get one of them if the higher priced ones don't run well off a phone or just my USBC-3 to Aux adapter.

On both devices I could get the Meze-99s loud enough to alllmost hurt my ears (definitely on Desktop,) and I ended up listening to it juuuust a smidge under that.

I'm still not sure what I'm looking for, but I really liked the Meze-99s though I did end up using Voicemeeter to bump the bass a little bit.

e: Also the AKG N400, but that's bluetooth which has never sounded good.

I'm voting either Kato for a more normal fit or ER2XR if you can actually wear them. Kato is probably somewhat more exciting but ER2XR is one of my favorite tunings.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

redeyes posted:

Thanks! That review generated some super haters. Oh well. It's not a bad set, just not for me.

lmao, people will defend the Big New Thing to the death until the next Big New Thing comes out.

I agree with your review like 95% except that I definitely listen at a lower volume than you so the somewhat hot 8k region doesn't get to me. It's certainly there, but i enjoy it at my preferred volume. Also i switched over to those sticky azla tips, which helps smooth it out a lot.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

lmao, people will defend the Big New Thing to the death until the next Big New Thing comes out.

I agree with your review like 95% except that I definitely listen at a lower volume than you so the somewhat hot 8k region doesn't get to me. It's certainly there, but i enjoy it at my preferred volume. Also i switched over to those sticky azla tips, which helps smooth it out a lot.

Ah yeah, you nailed it actually, I listen really loud and test that way as well. Good show.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Dessel posted:

Just quoting this list for posterity. I managed to dip my finalaudio e4000's in shallow tea for quite a bit before I noticed so I may need to buy new IEMs over the holidays and this short list looks good, though I'm in for the lower end of 100-200$/€. I tested them a day after dipping them and the right channel is now audibly more quiet. I'll give them a week in rice to see if they can absorb any of the moisture though I doubt it'll do anything. I was testing my old RHA MA750is but god they sound so tinny compared to the finalaudio e4000s or my DT770 Pro 80ohms which are my daily drivers (and honestly not sure if I can get used to the ear hooks), though I guess I could EQ them a bit or rely on "brain burn-in".

I use IEMs occasionally to not be constantly using full-sized headphones for skin irritation reasons. Also for the summer when I have a free-standing AC blasting noise to the room, where the finalaudio e3000s/4000s were decent paired with noise canceling headphones due to their low profile (honestly e3000s were better for this use case due to their even smaller profile). I understand the Etymotics have like the best sound isolation of pretty much anything and I used one of the "kids'" versions like years ago and I don't mind a deep fit based on that. Wearing them standalone for noise isolation might be enough.

It seems like the ER2SE are available on drop too which have less bass than the ER2XR but the ER2SE will probably end up cheaper delivered to EU.

Well poo poo, after a week I tested them and the right channel on the finalaudio e4000 is still more silent. I tried even swapping the drivers on the MMCX cable to see if the cable might've been the culprit. I also hate the RHA MA750i in comparison, I really prefer finalaudio e4000's bass freaquency response in comparison. Also bonus points, the left side of my Lypertek Tevis is literally coming apart from the "glue point". I think I'll contact warranty again - after first summer of use I had to already put them to warranty once because the filter on the other one was coming off so I haven't exactly been impressed with the build quality. :doh:

Also the bass response on the ER2SE is such that will probably not satisfy me. And the finalaudio e4000 is not in stock from the same retailer I got the original one.

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009
So, kid (almost 20) wants sennheiser 560S for Xmas, price of them isn’t the issue (I’m good with sub 200) but I hate that they’re plastic. He’s using them for gaming (has external mic) and editing video, some music.

Thoughts? I’m not a gamer at all but I did use to edit video and always preferred Sony. Don’t need headphones anymore myself with my kickass hearing aids with Bluetooth…haha! (too many punk shows growing up caused tinnitus which sucks but hearing aids calms it down).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

uwimage posted:

So, kid (almost 20) wants sennheiser 560S for Xmas, price of them isn’t the issue (I’m good with sub 200) but I hate that they’re plastic. He’s using them for gaming (has external mic) and editing video, some music.

Thoughts? I’m not a gamer at all but I did use to edit video and always preferred Sony. Don’t need headphones anymore myself with my kickass hearing aids with Bluetooth…haha! (too many punk shows growing up caused tinnitus which sucks but hearing aids calms it down).

Just get him what he wants :shrug:

Like I get what you are saying but if that’s what he wants…

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I mean even the more premium Sennheiser's are plastic and they're light and comfortable because of it, while still having pretty fantastic build quality.

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009
I get it, I just haven’t been in the market for OTE headphones in 15 years….he said he got his recommendations from Reddit….

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The 560S has been a consistent recommendation since it was released. It's a good set of cans.

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009

njsykora posted:

The 560S has been a consistent recommendation since it was released. It's a good set of cans.

But you can’t blame for asking here based on where his advice came from…maybe I’ll get him an account here and try to ween him…

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

uwimage posted:

but I hate that they’re plastic.

what the gently caress?

i'm having a hard time picturing what you expect from a pair of headphones, or why you're second guessing your kid, or what your problem is with the reddit headphone community.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the 58x is by all accounts very similar and less plasticky but just get them what they asked for

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

So I got kind of annoyed with the stock cord with the dq6, and instead of just getting another cord I decided to give the KZ AZO9s a go, got them for ~$10 on 11/11, got them a week ago and been using the with my work laptop and phone.

Wasn't sure how I would like them, comfort and fit wise, but I was pretty surprised. They fit great, light, and comfortable. They stay in pretty good, not had them fall out randomly when doing various yardwork things.

Sound out of my phone is very good, sounds the same as the cable to me, can't discern any low level hissing or noise even at very low or high volumes. Laptop on the other hand, I do get a little low level static, like on a voice call when no one is talking. But it's pretty minor and don't even notice it unless I'm looking for it.

Batteries are very good (for now), been in training 8/9 hours a day, and they last the day, but running on E at the end. If I put them in the case at lunch they were back full before I had to use them again.
Seem pretty solid.

I don't think I'm even at the 30$ mark for both and pretty happy with then, they sound a lot better (imo) than (my wife's) air pods, and they don't fall out of your ear randomly, comfortable, would definitely buy again, and would recommend them for anyone looking for budget options, that hit way above their weight in price.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Anyone else always have that moronic urge to upgrade or at least check out whatever is being hyped at the moment. I'm very happy with my headphone/mobile audio set up now but I can't help but follow the Thieaudio Monarch Mk II and 7Hz Timeless saga since crinacle ranked the Monarch Mk II as an S tier headphone and the Timeless as the best planar. It's incredibly tempting to buy them but I know it won't be a material improvement. So I've managed to resist buying them.

Likewise Hifiman's new Stealth Magnet version of the Arya had me the same way. I just thought the V2 Arya this year and the Stealth version had me thinking about trading in the Arya. Hifiman offered to let me trade in my Arya for the Stealth version for $325 all in. But before I mailed them in I checked out more reviews and learned I'd be trading in some soundstage for some accuracy and that it wasn't an unqualified across the board upgrade. So I decided to keep the older Arya.

The one thing I did change was I was using a Astell&Kern SR25 DAP (for a variety of reasons I prefer keeping my music separate from my phone) but managed to break the 2.5mm balanced plug socket. While it's back to Astell for warranty repair, I picked up an Astell&Kern KANN Alpha and am pretty happy with it. I chose it to drive full sized headphones and it can drive all my IEMs and headphones including my Audio Technica ATH-R70x and Hifiman Arya so now I can get far more use out of those since I won't be tethered to my system. All the limited independent lab testing of the KANN Alpha seems solid from an objective performance perspective and it uses the well regarded dual ESS Sabre ES9068AS. Not sure what it's like on power and current but it can push out 12 Vrms.

So now my primary mobile set up is:

A&K KANN Alpha DAP
L&P W2 DAC dongle for my phone
Qudelix 5K bluetooth dac amp for my phone
Hifiman Arya headphones
Hidition Viento-B iems
Galaxy Buds Pro

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 11, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Probably you should post your equipment brags in the audiophile thread.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LRADIKAL posted:

Probably you should post your equipment brags in the audiophile thread.

dude's talking about headphones, this is the thread to talk about headphones.

and yes, the hype train is rolling constantly. i jumped on the timeless because i am a slut for planar, and they're the first genuinely amazing planar iems. the P1 gets a special mention but needs EQ badly, the Timeless is tuned better than any of the hifimans in its price range. i'd argue it's technically about on par with the sundara and tuned better.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

and yes, the hype train is rolling constantly. i jumped on the timeless because i am a slut for planar, and they're the first genuinely amazing planar iems. the P1 gets a special mention but needs EQ badly, the Timeless is tuned better than any of the hifimans in its price range. i'd argue it's technically about on par with the sundara and tuned better.
That's great to hear, The price point is also amazing give how much other planars cost. Like the Ety ER4 series, Moondrop Blessing and some others, it really seems to hit a great price/performance sweet spot.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

Serendipitaet posted:

I was thinking the same. I have the Evolve 75 and it’s great at the headset part (calls, connectivity, switching between phone and laptop) and decent enough at the headphone part. The noise isolation on the 75 isn’t great due to the on-the-ear design and the ANC can only do so much on top of that. I haven’t tried the 85s but I would expect those issues to be better with the over-the-ear cups.

For the goons who recommended Jabra Evolve2 85 to me, thank you!

I bought one for around $350ish instead of $450ish (might have been a refurbished model) which helped the price a bit.
Microphone quality out of the box was horrible (according to others), but a firmware update improved this significantly.
Good at maintaining two Bluetooth connections at once (one is the computer via USB, the other is my phone). Connecting something else requires manually disconnecting first.
MS Teams integration works well. Muting on the headset mutes you in the Teams software, and vice-versa, so I think this prevents you from being double-muted.
There's two different lights that can flash various colors. I still have very little idea of what they mean.
There's not a huge difference between neutral, active noise cancellation, and hear-through. Toggling through them is a bit slow. I usually leave it as neutral. (I think) being in a call switches you to noise cancelling and becoming unmuted switches you to hear-through, which is a nice touch that I wasn't expecting.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm looking for some solid headphones/ earbuds in the $100 price point give or take. Primary use will be the gym, both cardio and weightlifting. Around black friday I was looking at the Sony WF-1000XM4's for about $250, but no place locally had them in stock so I didn't pick them up. Since then I've thought about it and I don't know that I need headphones in the $250 price range. What's something solid for around $100-125ish range?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You don't think spending over $4000 on their "primary mobile setup" is crazy town? This implies a secondary mobile setup as well as a home setup.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

LRADIKAL posted:

You don't think spending over $4000 on their "primary mobile setup" is crazy town? This implies a secondary mobile setup as well as a home setup.

So what?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LRADIKAL posted:

there is an entire other thread to make fun of audiophiles, please stop making GBS threads this one up.

yes, I think astell and kerns poo poo is absolute crazytown snake oil bullshit nonsense, is that what you need to hear?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yes, I think astell and kerns poo poo is absolute crazytown snake oil bullshit nonsense, is that what you need to hear?

Kind of, yes. I think it's ok for people to brag about their expensive poo poo, but when there's no caveat that it's just e-peen strutting and not something that any sane person would or should buy, then this becomes the audiophile thread. When that happens it loses value as a resource for people asking normal person advice.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i think you need to settle down a little. if someone came in here genuinely asking about those specific daps or dacs, they would be very quickly set straight about their ludicrous claims and asinine value proposition. same with anyone considering a god drat arya as a portable headphone

that is not what that person did. it was perhaps a flex in poor taste but we're all a little autistic around here. they clearly did not come here to pick a fight, that was you.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I didn't come in intending to start a fight. I've said my piece. Please carry on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm just confused about how you wear all that at the same time

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the galaxy buds fit surprisingly securely in the nostrils

e: okay now it's bugging me and I have to ask, you're not actually walking around outside with aryas on, are you?

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 13, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Speaking of which, I'm back with a really dumb question. I ended up with Sundaras (and... other stuff :cripes:) and decided thanks to having a decent income again I might as well keep messing around and buying dumb headphones cause why not, I haven't had the luxury of having a hobby or the good brains it gives in a while.

So to that end, I'm using an diffuse field EQ for the Sundara which, to me anyway, really lightens up the sound and makes it feel less constrictive around my ears, as well as adding some nice shimmer to the high end. I know there are DF specific headphones but those strike me as odd gimmicks, so my question is essentially is there anything that might deliver that light, air-y tonality with a really spread out sound (I still don't know my sound terms, mostly, sorry) by dint of itself, rather than EQ? I assume nothing is going to get quite there on its own but I'd love to mess around with anything even in the ballpark.

E: Oh and separate question, anyone have strong feelings about any of the nice, mid-range-ish closed backs? $500-1500 or so, not really looking for the same tonality there, just need some nice closed backs for sharing the home office space again.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 13, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the galaxy buds fit surprisingly securely in the nostrils

e: okay now it's bugging me and I have to ask, you're not actually walking around outside with aryas on, are you?
No not outside. Just around the house instead of being tethered to my desk. It lets me use the Arya a lot more than before.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Orv posted:

So to that end, I'm using an diffuse field EQ for the Sundara which, to me anyway, really lightens up the sound and makes it feel less constrictive around my ears, as well as adding some nice shimmer to the high end.

I think the closest you'll get to DF these days is the Etymotic tuning, which is absolutely wonderful but they only make IEMs and probably won't give you the soundstage width you're looking for. I think the only real upgrade option there is one of the flavors of HD800, but it's certainly a leap that comes with its own issues (not the least of which being price). I'm normally a big fan of using EQ to find your preference and then buying headphones that match, but at this point everyone's doing some flavor of harman, and the Sundara are technically capable enough that I don't think you're leaving anything on the table by EQing them.

Closed back in that price range i'd be looking at either focal or dan clark, but also you're getting into moondrop variations / thieaudio monarch mk2 territory and honestly I think IEMs give you better bang for buck than closed backs these days.

Yuns posted:

No not outside. Just around the house instead of being tethered to my desk. It lets me use the Arya a lot more than before.

lmao okay whew

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Does anyone in this thread have any experience with the Sivga SV021?

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
I'm looking for a wireless pair (paired with my Android phone) for wearing out walking and when riding the subway. Listen to a decent mix of genres, but mostly rock and metal.

I don't see much mention of Master&Dynamics in here, did a search. MW08s look nice and slick and are supposed to sound good. Does the thread recommend?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think the closest you'll get to DF these days is the Etymotic tuning, which is absolutely wonderful but they only make IEMs and probably won't give you the soundstage width you're looking for. I think the only real upgrade option there is one of the flavors of HD800, but it's certainly a leap that comes with its own issues (not the least of which being price). I'm normally a big fan of using EQ to find your preference and then buying headphones that match, but at this point everyone's doing some flavor of harman, and the Sundara are technically capable enough that I don't think you're leaving anything on the table by EQing them.

Closed back in that price range i'd be looking at either focal or dan clark, but also you're getting into moondrop variations / thieaudio monarch mk2 territory and honestly I think IEMs give you better bang for buck than closed backs these days.

Unfortunately with how much pain even standard IEMs cause me - very narrow canals and overly sensitive ears - Etymotics are probably out of the picture. I'll see if I can't demo some HD800s at some point, from what I understand they probably are what I'm looking for there.

As for the closed backs Dan Clark and Focal were my two front-runners from what I had seen, with maybe LCD-XC on the side, though the weight of Audeze stuff I'm iffy on. I've also seen a chunk of people complaining about the QC/build on Focals but I don't know if that's legit or just the age old problem of people treating their stuff like poo poo and throwing it around.

Appreciate the thoughts, thanks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Shuoer EJ07 is the only other DF tuned IEM that I know of that is good and holy poo poo is it good.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have closed back Focals [Elegia] and they feel like tanks to me but they’re my home headphones and they’re so huge portable use seems like a joke. The cord is utter garbage as people have complained about but replacements are cheap. As probably the only high end closed back headphones I will ever own I can’t compare them to other sets but I like them a lot and am happy I got a deal on them [that’s $20 less than I paid].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh wow, yeah that's definitely worth a shot to see how I feel about Focals, thanks.